Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard: The Lead Horse

TKnight24

Balalrd isn't a better pass protector than Brown like this article states. Receiving is a wash.

He could've improved. Pagano is really high on Ballard. But if he isn't better we could easily make Brown the 3rd down back depending on the yardage distance we need

i really hope all this faith in ballard is well placed hopefully we wont have to grab a running back early next year im not sold yet but we'll see i guess

Well keep in mind Nick, Pagano said he's the lead back into off-season workouts. That can change if Brown tops him in Training Camp. It's not set in stone that Ballard is the starter yet

I definitely think Ballard has the potential to be a 1,000+-yard back this season. I know he really wants that yards per carry number to rise above 4.0 yards and that should happen in 2013.

The bigger question for me comes what do you do on third down. I think Ballard is a nice receiver but virtually no team in the league has the same running back on the field for all three downs.

Donald Brown would be the likely candidate and has shown the ability to excel in open space.

Does Kerwynn Williams get a shot to showcase his 45 catches that he had last season?

i really hope all this faith in ballard is well placed hopefully we wont have to grab a running back early next year im not sold yet but we'll see i guess

I just have to lol at stuff like this.

Ballard started all but four games last year, which were the 4 to open the season.  He then got into the starting line up and kept his job.

Had he had the starting job from week one, he'd put out 1085 yards for the season if he stays healthy.  Those first four games they essentially eased him in with 6 carries being the maximum he had in any of those games.

All in all, he is the lead horse back this year, with a re-vamped offensive line and a new scheme that seems to indicate there will be more balance this year.  1000 yards for Ballard should be there so long as he remains healthy.  I suspect they will continue to break up the reps some, so I don't suspect he'll go much beyond 1000, but 1000 is a very achievable goal given the additions to the line and the fact that he is basically being listed as the week 1 starter.

Donald Brown has the worst hands on the team... Oline included..

He had countless drops this year that always seemed to come at the worst time (two of which on 4th down)...

Worst part... most of his drops were "easy" catches (luck put it on his numbers and no defenders around)

I think Brown is an asset to our team and is capable of playing a role but to call ballard/brown receiving skills a wash is nonsense

Well keep in mind Nick, Pagano said he's the lead back into off-season workouts. That can change if Brown tops him in Training Camp. It's not set in stone that Ballard is the starter yet

with that said denodous or kerwynn could take the job too. ..... I'm actually growing on o'Bryant as a key part of our offense, but as of now Ballard should be the number one back Donald should be on his way out our third on the depth chart

Donald Brown has the worst hands on the team... Oline included..

He had countless drops this year that always seemed to come at the worst time (two of which on 4th down)...

Worst part... most of his drops were "easy" catches (luck put it on his numbers and no defenders around)

I think Brown is an asset to our team and is capable of playing a role but to call ballard/brown receiving skills a wash is *

Ballard had the highest drop rate out of any RB in the league. I think im being generous when I say it's a wash.

Ballard had the highest drop rate out of any RB in the league. I think im being generous when I say it's a wash.

I find that a little surprising, but I will say I do remember Vick dropping a few. However, not only are we comparing a first year player vs a 3 year vet, but I also feel like Vick had a greater sense at "finding space."

his instincts are more indicative of a receiver than Brown..

In all honesty don't recall Vick seeing a lot of pass attemps coming his way,but evidently has shown enough to warrant the comments.Knew he was the best runner,just hadn't seen enough come his way to judge his pass catching ability

In all honesty don't recall Vick seeing a lot of pass attemps coming his way,but evidently has shown enough to warrant the comments.Knew he was the best runner,just hadn't seen enough come his way to judge his pass catching ability

No one remembers it cause the only pass we care about involving Vick Ballard was the OT Winner that gave birth to the Ballard Tornado lmao

Colts have a new o-line, lets wait and see how they do this upcoming season and if they can open holes that last years o-line couldn't 90% of the time, using last year in evaluating V.Ballard as of now is not fair, lets wait.....

Go Colts!!!!!

Go new O-line!!!!!

Go Grigson!!!!!

Go me!!!!!

Go you!!!!!

Go Everybody!!!!!

<<<<<Jedi Luck says so!!!!!

Every single RB in the draft is good when they have good blocking. If he wants to stay in the NFL, he needs to make things happen when blocking breaks down.

He did on that 80 yarder vs the Titans. He got hit almost as soon as his hands grabbed the ball

Ballard is better at running behind an awful line... he seems to have good patience and always goes forward he is stronger than Brown...

Brown is really good when he reaches the next level of the D... He has excellent balance and good burst... I think improvement in our O-Line will help Brown out immensely...

It makes no difference who is the "lead" back.. whoever shows up on Sundays will get the bulk of the carries...

I get tired of reading the same old debate (or participating in it) they both offer different styles of play to the table but both can run between the tackles, Ballard just makes better Cuts........Bottom line, It dont matter who starts, If we have upgraded the O Line like Grigson thinks we have then they will both be very good Backs no matter who starts, Whoever shows up on sundays and is doing better will get more carries likely

Ballard has better vision then Brown and breaks more tackles he should be the starter.

Do you have stats backing that up? Because his 3.9 ypc would suggest otherwise, Im not debating he should be the starter...He should but I doubt he breaks more tackles, he got his butt handed to him in the backfield a few times as well when our O Line forgot how to do there jobs....Which was seemingly every other play

Do you have stats backing that up? Because his 3.9 ypc would suggest otherwise, Im not debating he should be the starter...He should but I doubt he breaks more tackles, he got his butt handed to him in the backfield a few times as well when our O Line forgot how to do there jobs....Which was seemingly every other play

Elusive Rating for Brown (3 year average): 28.6

Elusive Rating for Ballard last year: 38.6

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/01/three-years-of-the-elusive-rating/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/06/using-elusive-rating-to-dig-for-running-back-gold/

There's no stats for RB vision it's called game film. Countless times Donald Brown missed the wrong hole and usually runs out of bounds. Ballard is a north and south runner he finds the right hole for the most part and rarely breaks it outside. Donald Brown is bust from the Polian era if you don't know that by now im not sure your a real Colts fan.

That comparison while makes sense it is skewed somewhat do to th enumber of touches Brown has got over that time period, Look at all of the higher profile Backs below him and then take into accoint the number of carries they have gotten comparitively, Now none of that is to say Brown is an elusive runner because he is obviously not near the most elusive runners out there, he is not even that on his own team but some have gotten completely unrealistic expectations given the number of touches he has had, What more darning to me is he cant stay healthy

There's no stats for RB vision it's called game film. Countless times Donald Brown missed the wrong hole and usually runs out of bounds. Ballard is a north and south runner he finds the right hole for the most part and rarely breaks it outside. Donald Brown is bust from the Polian era if you don't know that by now im not sure your a real Colts fan.

Questioning my allegiance to the Colts seriously? :funny:  O.o , Questioning me watching game film (I have NFL Rewind  and the All 22 film that comes with it). Ill give it another year before I call Brown a bust

Questioning my allegiance to the Colts seriously? :funny:  O.o , Questioning me watching game film (I have NFL Rewind  and the All 22 film that comes with it). Ill give it another year before I call Brown a bust

You can give it another year but i doubt the coaches will. Ballard is the RB for the future not Donald Brown.

I get tired of reading the same old debate (or participating in it) they both offer different styles of play to the table but both can run between the tackles, Ballard just makes better Cuts........Bottom line, It dont matter who starts, If we have upgraded the O Line like Grigson thinks we have then they will both be very good Backs no matter who starts, Whoever shows up on sundays and is doing better will get more carries likely

I am tired of the debate as well but I figured since we all have our opinions on who should start and whatnot, why not give the perspective of the Head Honcho Pagano?

do agree that Ballard has more vision and north and south...dont agree with the whole bust and usually runs out of bounds

You can give it another year but i doubt the coaches will. Ballard is the RB for the future not Donald Brown.

I never said he is not the rb of the future, I think that much is obvious but you dont go cutting your homerun threat with 1 year left on his deal when he has not even had the luxury of a competent O Line since he has been in the league, If he gets injured again this year thats fine then release him in the offseaon if Williams works out. Thats why you drafted Kerwynn Williams

Don't do that.     Seriously.     Just don't do that.

And if you don't know that by now, I'm not sure you're a real Colts fan.      (See what I did there?!)

If you can't make your point without going there,  then the problem is yours, and not someone else's....

Don't do that.     Seriously.     Just don't do that.

And if you don't know that by now, I'm not sure you're a real Colts fan.      (See what I did there?!)

If you can't make your point without going there,  then the problem is yours, and not someone else's....

I made my point because i didn't think any  Colts fan would think that Donald Brown is a better runner then Ballard, didn't say it to offend.

I made my point because i didn't think any  Colts fan would think that Donald Brown is a better runner then Ballard, didn't say it to offend.

I'll take your word for it.....

But I'm not sure how you can say that if someone doesn't agree with your point of view then they're not a Colts fan and not intend it to offend...??

But....   OK.....

For the record:   I'm not a moderator, I was only speaking as a Colts fan and member of the community.  I've got no juice here....

So the "Colt" writer is wondering if Brown is capable of being a "3rd down back"???  

If Brown is healthy ...  He is the STARTING RB.    He was last season for a reason.   

BUT....   Brown needs to "stay" healthy...     If he can't ...    bye bye...

I definitely think Ballard has the potential to be a 1,000+-yard back this season. I know he really wants that yards per carry number to rise above 4.0 yards and that should happen in 2013.

The bigger question for me comes what do you do on third down. I think Ballard is a nice receiver but virtually no team in the league has the same running back on the field for all three downs.

Donald Brown would be the likely candidate and has shown the ability to excel in open space.

Does Kerwynn Williams get a shot to showcase his 45 catches that he had last season?

I'll take your word for it.....

But I'm not sure how you can say that if someone doesn't agree with your point of view then they're not a Colts fan and not intend it to offend...??

But....   OK.....

For the record:   I'm not a moderator, I was only speaking as a Colts fan and member of the community.  I've got no juice here....

I've had disagreements with a few people never said that, i was literally shocked that someone could make a case for Donald Brown being a better runner then Ballard. I thought i would never hear that from a Colts fan that have actually watched Donald  Brown play.