Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign cornerback Allen Chapman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another interesting note to look at

@KBowenColts: New special teams coach Tom McMahon says he sees ST stressed throughout the building from Grigson, Pagano & most importantly the players

Looks like we'll be at the same level or better of ST this year like we were last year

@KBowenColts: New special teams coach Tom McMahon says he sees ST stressed throughout the building from Grigson, Pagano & most importantly the players

Looks like we'll be at the same level or better of ST this year like we were last year

It's about time.  We went through some really bad ST years.  If it weren't for PattyMac, we would have even looked worse on kick off coverage.

I know all the excuses, injuries, smaller players, inexperience...  But it starts with coaching and our last ST coach was definitely not good with the pro game, IMHO.

Oh lord...attack of the politically correct moderators once again...smh..The world ain't all sunshine and roses...It's a very mean and nasty place and it will knock you down and keep you there if you let it...Nothing hits harder than life...

Moderators are also posters. You will know when they moderate which btw is 99% not public so learn the line. It should be easy to debate the poster in question without referring to moderation.

No need to reply to this post either.

It's about time. We went through some really bad ST years. If it weren't for PattyMac, we would have even looked worse on kick off coverage.

I know all the excuses, injuries, smaller players, inexperience... But it starts with coaching and our last ST coach was definitely not good with the pro game, IMHO.

Well, Lefeged made some good plays for us last year

And I don't think we gave up a KR or PR TD last year considering who we went up against

Percy Harvin, Devin Hester, Josh Cribbs...... think we did pretty well for ourselves

The biggest impact most of these rookies will have will be on special teams. It would make sense that it's stressed at these camps.

The biggest impact most of these rookies will have will be on special teams. It would make sense that it's stressed at these camps.

K Will is expected to be the return guy which I like cause I'd rather TY not take those hits and use him for offense. Price (if he makes it) should see some time at CB but most likely like you said be on ST (could see him as a gunner on Punt maybe).

Cunningham could do damage on kickoff since he's big and fast could see him having at least one big hit this year if he makes it

K Will is expected to be the return guy which I like cause I'd rather TY not take those hits and use him for offense. Price (if he makes it) should see some time at CB but most likely like you said be on ST (could see him as a gunner on Punt maybe).

Cunningham could do damage on kickoff since he's big and fast could see him having at least one big hit this year if he makes it

Cunningham ought to be a good blocker on the return teams. I've watched some film of him, but haven't really seen him get out into the open field and run. He doesn't have noteworthy speed, but he does run angry with the football. The last really good special teams cover guy we had was Darrell Reid, who wasn't necessarily fast, but really filled a lane and could smack a fool silly. Had one of the best hits ever against the Titans in 2007. It would be nice to have someone fill that role this year.

From what I've seen of Cunningham, he's a really solid blocker both in the run game and as a pass blocker. He was used as a blocking back in both situations as well. Nice feet as a blocker, strong upper body, uses his hands well. He even works to the inside and blocks defensive tackles on run plays. He was kind of like a third tackle a lot of the time, which is essentially what you want an inline blocking tight end to be, except he's eligible. Like I said, he's not fast or quick, but he has good feet and is actually pretty good at getting open, and he has natural hands catching the ball, and pretty good body control. I think he's got an excellent chance to make the roster based on his ability to help the offense, but if he can stand out on special teams, he'll improve his chances even further.

Cunningham ought to be a good blocker on the return teams. I've watched some film of him, but haven't really seen him get out into the open field and run. He doesn't have noteworthy speed, but he does run angry with the football. The last really good special teams cover guy we had was Darrell Reid, who wasn't necessarily fast, but really filled a lane and could smack a fool silly. Had one of the best hits ever against the Titans in 2007. It would be nice to have someone fill that role this year.

From what I've seen of Cunningham, he's a really solid blocker both in the run game and as a pass blocker. He was used as a blocking back in both situations as well. Nice feet as a blocker, strong upper body, uses his hands well. He even works to the inside and blocks defensive tackles on run plays. He was kind of like a third tackle a lot of the time, which is essentially what you want an inline blocking tight end to be, except he's eligible. Like I said, he's not fast or quick, but he has good feet and is actually pretty good at getting open, and he has natural hands catching the ball, and pretty good body control. I think he's got an excellent chance to make the roster based on his ability to help the offense, but if he can stand out on special teams, he'll improve his chances even further.

I knew Cunningham wasn't fast. I see him as another D. Allen (body wise). I hope we use Cunningham on some goal line sets maybe have him as a FB (Even though we do have Havili) and have Allen lead TE. Or maybe take Fleener out put Cunningham & Allen in a 2 TE set and have Havili at FB. Gonna be interesting to see if & how some of these rookies will be used

Well, Lefeged made some good plays for us last year

And I don't think we gave up a KR or PR TD last year considering who we went up against

Percy Harvin, Devin Hester, Josh Cribbs...... think we did pretty well for ourselves

No, I was talking about the previous ST coach under Caldwell.  We were decent last year.

Let's not forget, this time last year the coaches were "gushing" over Sambrano.  

Long way to go folks, and no where near as many jobs open as last season.

True but the WR position was much deeper then CB. There isn't any CB on the team with Price size 6'2 and 4.4 speed that can play both outside and in the slot. I think he has a much better chance of not only making the team but also getting playing time if Toler and Butler struggles or gets hurt.

Oh lord...attack of the politically correct moderators once again...smh..The world ain't all sunshine and roses...It's a very mean and nasty place and it will knock you down and keep you there if you let it...Nothing hits harder than life...

Political correctness has nothing to do with your negativity. You seem to always have something negative to comment on. New players, new season and the anticipation of the up coming season is normally exciting to the fans of the Colts. If all the moves the Colts make puts you in a negative mind frame why try to bring us all down to your negativity? 

George Bremer(@gmbremer)

UCLA CB Sheldon Price made a couple of solid plays in coverage. #Colts

George Bremer(@gmbremer)

UCLA CB Sheldon Price did a nice job in coverage again, but Sam Houston St. CB Daxton Swanson made the day's best defensive play. #Colts

It's "rookie" mini-camp. Those guys are going against other UDFA's and rookie's. It's great they are raving about them, but I would take it with a grain of salt. Lets see what they do against the "men" on the team and go from there.

I will never forget this hit as long as I live. Amazing.

and that's a penalty nowadays..

Which is sad. They are turning this into the NBA. As a Pacer fan, its sad to see how "soft" that players and league is getting. The NFL is heading in that same direction.

That hit by Darrel Reid is easily one of the top-5 hits of ALL time.

Which is sad. They are turning this into the NBA. As a Pacer fan, its sad to see how "soft" that players and league is getting. The NFL is heading in that same direction.

That hit by Darrel Reid is easily one of the top-5 hits of ALL time.

although, to be honest, he did launch him self and hit with the crown of helmet in poor guy's chin, which is pretty dangerous.. 

Yeah...He did manage to find a gem in Darius Butler, but these guys likely won't make the cut, but there is that small chance I guess...

Darius Butler was a 41st overall pick 4 years ago... how is that comparable to an undrafted rookie?

True but the WR position was much deeper then CB. There isn't any CB on the team with Price size 6'2 and 4.4 speed that can play both outside and in the slot. I think he has a much better chance of not only making the team but also getting playing time if Toler and Butler struggles or gets hurt.

Admittedly, I didn't know too much about this guy other than was written for his draft profile. I've since read a lot of articles about him and I agree with you, he has the most potential to make the team and get some time.

I like what they say about his aggressiveness. I understand that he's thin, but I don't understand why no one drafted him.

A couple of good things from Chapman I saw in this clip:

1.Flashes good hands

2.Flashes the ability to play both Man and Zone. He can play out on an island

3.Flashes a mean streak when tackling and tackles well

4.Shows ability to flip his hips

5.Gets his head turned around to attempt to make a play on the ball

6.He looks to be able to play inside at the slot to come up and make plays in the run game

7.Shows the ability to mirror his receiver

8.Flashes a quick burst

What I am lookin for that I did not see at all OR just not enough of:

1..How is his ability in Press Man? I only saw 1 play where he was in Press Man coverage 3:36 and I did not come away very impressed with it, Does he show better press ability then that?

2..How is his ability to ward off blockers?

3.I'd also like to see more on his ability to backpedal, most of that tape he was flipping his hips quickly and running along with his man or coming up and making plays, I saw backpedal ability  but I'd like to see more

4.How is he in Press Bail?

With all that said, some of those passes were badly underthrown