Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hold up....Donald Brown

mjsimans

Donald is a complimentary back, but no workhorse. Would love to see him get 8-11 carries a game this year. That's how he should be used. 

Vick's more of a workhorse and because of his consistency and his brash running style, he'll get more carries. He definitely deserves it. Had he started from Day 1, he would have been on pace for over 1000 yards!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't tell the people on this site that I've tried...You'd think we have Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk the way these people on here talk...Ballard is good, but I'd prefer he be a #2 back and I'm hopeful we get our thoroughbred next year cause we do need 1...We got the "In the trenches" guys by reaching in the 3rd and 4th and passing up superior talent so i hope everyone on here is happy...I as a Colts fan hope they turn out to be studs but it's far from guaranteed and "Rookie" o-linemen usually struggle..

The so called running back stud you refer to is just about over in the NFL. Other than AP for the Vikings the larger part of NFL teams use multiple RBs. Running backs are not even taken in the !st round anymore. Using 2 or 3 RBs keep them rested and healthy. If the Colts do use a fullback it changes the running game also. We have 2 very good blocking TEs on the roster at this point and they will effect the running game too. The day of the high paid RB is pretty much over. This last draft showed the down grading of what the RB means to a team. As poor as the Colts O-line was last season the running game was surprisingly not bad. The last big name RB the Colts had was Edge and we still managed to win a couple of games. Addai was suited for what the Colts wanted in his pass catching and pass blocking. I understand your point of view but the NFL has changed over time. Last season the top teams used the run just to set up the QB and passing. 

Brown is not close to CJ speed.  Brown is 4.5, CJ is 4.24.  In the world of the NFL, 4.5 is par for the course.  4.2x is in the top 5%.

In other words, Ballard is closer to Brown than Brown is to CJ, so that is not at all a good comparison.

There is a difference between break away speed and a 40-time. A 40-time has just as much to do with burst and acceleration in the beginning as it does natural speed. If you read my post, I never said he was a similar running back as CJ2K. I just mention that when DB gets into space, he does NOT get caught from behind like CJ. Then I went on to mention, if our o-line has improved as we all hope it has, a running back like DB could benefit the most out of all our RBs because of his running style.

Ballard has a higher motor IMO. For example, the Miami game he clinched the victory with a nice second-effort run.

He was consistently productive as a rookie behind a suspect o-line. I feel like the team has made significant gains in the line in the offseason, so he will continue to grow. DB just hasn't shown that sort of consistency over 4 years.

I like Vick. And I love having a back in there that always gets the extra yard. But unless you have an elite RB, there is always a trade off. Vick just doesn't give you that big play potential like DB does.

I like Vick. And I love having a back in there that always gets the extra yard. But unless you have an elite RB, there is always a trade off. Vick just doesn't give you that big play potential like DB does.

Big play potential?  Like the overtime catch in the flat that he leaped in for a touchdown from 4 yards out?

People get so obsessed with big play potential.  Arian Foster has a 4.68 40 time, slower than Ballard.  I'd rather have Foster than Brown.  Big plays are going to happen throwing the ball.  We want a reliable back to get us at least 100 yards on 20 carries a game.  Keep the defenses honest.  Eventually a big run or two will come, but Ballard has better consistent play potential, if you want to call it that.

Big play potential?  Like the overtime catch in the flat that he leaped in for a touchdown from 4 yards out?

People get so obsessed with big play potential.  Arian Foster has a 4.68 40 time, slower than Ballard.  I'd rather have Foster than Brown.  Big plays are going to happen throwing the ball.  We want a reliable back to get us at least 100 yards on 20 carries a game.  Keep the defenses honest.  Eventually a big run or two will come, but Ballard has better consistent play potential, if you want to call it that.

that was like 12 yards bro....

Arian has a bunch of long runs....we don't have an arian foster....i'm discussing our current RBs and the pros and cons of each

Arian has a bunch of long runs....we don't have an arian foster....i'm discussing our current RBs and the pros and cons of each

duh?

Brown (and Addai as well) paid the price for years of sub-prime (to put it mildly) run blocking. DB's shown flashes of big play ability, and he deserves a chance to run behind an offensive line that's at least decent. 

If he and Ballard are fighting tooth and nail for reps and pushing each other to be better, that's only a good thing for us. I don't care who "wins the starting job" - we're going to need more than 1 RB to step up and play well this year.

My definition of a big play is getting something done in the clutch.  Ballard did that, and it was a play that was talked about for weeks after it actually happened.  It might even be on a reel for the top ten plays of the season.

As for Arian Foster, he's made big plays despite not having elite top speed.  We don't need a fast guy to make big plays, that is my point.  With our new line, I suspect Vick will have more opportunities to make the big plays you are looking for.

At any rate, the comparison is in terms of top end speed.  Ballard is similar to Arian.  We don't need to have Brown on the field to make big plays, we simply need our line to perform.  We have far fewer scrubs this year on the line, so I suspect our running game will improve.

As for your 12 yard remark...  A grinder gets you 3-4 at a time.  Ballard typically does that for us over and over, unlike Brown.  12 yards into the end zone is a far cry different then a run of the mill run and gain for 12 yards.  Defenders have much less ground they have to cover, and the fact that he got those yards and scored a TD to end the game speaks volumes, IMO, to what Ballard can do for us.  Given that was his first year, I suspect he does even more for us this year.

duh?

You quoted me twice, and yourself once, just for this remark?  Astounding.

My point is simply that top speed ain't worth jack if the guy doesn't do the other things right.  Brown is known a lot more for what he's done wrong than what he has done right.  Every hear the phrase, "Gosh darnit DONALD!!!" (Replace gosh and darnit with the more direct words)

You quoted me twice, and yourself once, just for this remark?  Astounding.

My point is simply that top speed ain't worth jack if the guy doesn't do the other things right.  Brown is known a lot more for what he's done wrong than what he has done right.  Every hear the phrase, "Gosh darnit DONALD!!!" (Replace gosh and darnit with the more direct words)

ha true...i'm saying he's never really been given a fair shot behind a quality o-line...he was starting to get things going last year, then got hurt.

I'm not saying he's the next big thing at RB, but i'm saying don't write him off yet - and some peoples' talk of cutting him is just ridiculous...

My definition of a big play is getting something done in the clutch.  Ballard did that, and it was a play that was talked about for weeks after it actually happened.  It might even be on a reel for the top ten plays of the season.

As for Arian Foster, he's made big plays despite not having elite top speed.  We don't need a fast guy to make big plays, that is my point.  With our new line, I suspect Vick will have more opportunities to make the big plays you are looking for.

At any rate, the comparison is in terms of top end speed.  Ballard is similar to Arian.  We don't need to have Brown on the field to make big plays, we simply need our line to perform.  We have far fewer scrubs this year on the line, so I suspect our running game will improve.

As for your 12 yard remark...  A grinder gets you 3-4 at a time.  Ballard typically does that for us over and over, unlike Brown.  12 yards into the end zone is a far cry different then a run of the mill run and gain for 12 yards.  Defenders have much less ground they have to cover, and the fact that he got those yards and scored a TD to end the game speaks volumes, IMO, to what Ballard can do for us.  Given that was his first year, I suspect he does even more for us this year.

Trust me...i won't be upset if your right....I really like Vick

I just see glimpses of greatness in DB....and I just want to see him get one more opportunity to show us what he can do, when he is allowed to get out of the backfield before getting hit....

ha true...i'm saying he's never really been given a fair shot behind a quality o-line...he was starting to get things going last year, then got hurt.

I'm not saying he's the next big thing at RB, but i'm saying don't write him off yet - and some peoples' talk of cutting him is just ridiculous...

Donald has been on the team for 4 full seasons.  He has had many opportunities.

This is a contract year for him.  Based on past evidence, we haven't gotten a lot.  If he performs this year, we have to re-sign him to keep him.  We're better off letting Vick prove himself, and continue to prove himself for the next 3 years so that, at that time, we can consider re-signing him if it is deemed necessary.

Brown, on the other hand, has more or less already been replaced.  He is our spell back and will provide depth for this season, but is most likely playing for a new contract with a new team.  No sense in this team investing much in him when they'll end up paying him just over 10 million for 1840 yards and 11 tds.

Ballard has a higher motor IMO. For example, the Miami game he clinched the victory with a nice second-effort run.

He was consistently productive as a rookie behind a suspect o-line. I feel like the team has made significant gains in the line in the offseason, so he will continue to grow. DB just hasn't shown that sort of consistency over 4 years.

wth is Reggie Wayne doing at 19 seconds into this clip?

Big play potential? Like the overtime catch in the flat that he leaped in for a touchdown from 4 yards out?

People get so obsessed with big play potential. Arian Foster has a 4.68 40 time, slower than Ballard. I'd rather have Foster than Brown. Big plays are going to happen throwing the ball. We want a reliable back to get us at least 100 yards on 20 carries a game. Keep the defenses honest. Eventually a big run or two will come, but Ballard has better consistent play potential, if you want to call it that.

Brown had more yards in that game and I think he had the longest run of the game. But kudos to Ballard for putting it all on the line for that one.

As I have stated before, behind a bad offensive line, even Adrian Peterson would look ordinary.  Lets see how Brown looks behind a better run blocking line.   Brown brings big play ability that I love.   Not as fast, but like Chris Johnson.  If the guy gets a hole, watch out.  I think we need both of them as well as Carter.

Ballard has some traits I may favor over Brown, but statisticly, they were kind of the same. Ballard had about double the yards, double the attempts as well, and they had the same average yards per carry. I just want to give Brown one more chance behind a better o-line. I like having the two guys complement each other rather than one doing all the work.

Calm down. It's all in good fun, but seriously I think we have a DB vs. Ballard thread every week.  

We do, Cheese. We do.

This just in!!....Breaking News!!!: Multiple sources have confirmed that the Indianapolis Colts plan to use both Vic Ballard AND Donald Brown in 2013!!!

Speaking from his home in Minneapolis, Adrian Peterson commented  "Thank God that's settled. I was so worried about both of them.!!!"

Brown brings a little speed. Dude seems to go down pretty easy. Ballard is more power with some speed and wiggle. Brown would be a good change of pace. Saying brown hasn't had a chance behind a good line goes the same for Ballard. AP has the speed and power. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Having a good speedster is a good thing. Whether that be the rook or Brown. You pound and pound with the bigger back. Then put in the quick and shifty guy and they react slower. So he can pop off some yards.

Just this hour..... Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano of the Indianapolis Colts held a joint news conference

confirming that the team plans to use BOTH Vick Ballard and Donald Brown at halfback...in the 2013 season.

The team issued a written release outlining the concept that, as in 2012,  both boys would be handed the ball and asked to

block on different plays..at different times.

Reached before game four of the Eastern Conference semifinals, NBA stars Roy Hibbert and Carmelo Anthony experessed

relief that that issue has been decided commenting that they suspected it was affecting the shooting of both teams and may

have affected officiating in game three.

Some of you may not realize it, but Ballard and Brown are roughly the same size and Brown not that much faster. Brown is not a 4.4 back like some of you think. However, when you look at them in person or in these camp videos, Brown looks small framed but Ballard looks like the toughest guy on the team. Frankly, that's the way they play as well.

The so called running back stud you refer to is just about over in the NFL. Other than AP for the Vikings the larger part of NFL teams use multiple RBs. Running backs are not even taken in the !st round anymore. Using 2 or 3 RBs keep them rested and healthy. If the Colts do use a fullback it changes the running game also. We have 2 very good blocking TEs on the roster at this point and they will effect the running game too. The day of the high paid RB is pretty much over. This last draft showed the down grading of what the RB means to a team. As poor as the Colts O-line was last season the running game was surprisingly not bad. The last big name RB the Colts had was Edge and we still managed to win a couple of games. Addai was suited for what the Colts wanted in his pass catching and pass blocking. I understand your point of view but the NFL has changed over time. Last season the top teams used the run just to set up the QB and passing. 

They are still around, but much rarer, and I still want 1, I believe that is the piece we need to get to the promise land..

There's a lot of Ballard love-ins on this Forum, and the guy hasn't even played one full season as starter. And I bet it's the same guys who decry the sensationalism written by Kravitz and BBS etc.

Crown him the messiah of our back field once he puts up a few thousand more yards please.

As I have stated before, behind a bad offensive line, even Adrian Peterson would look ordinary.  Lets see how Brown looks behind a better run blocking line.   Brown brings big play ability that I love.   Not as fast, but like Chris Johnson.  If the guy gets a hole, watch out.  I think we need both of them as well as Carter.

He has had holes and cutback lanes many times and just lacks the vision to find them...

Brown (and Addai as well) paid the price for years of sub-prime (to put it mildly) run blocking. DB's shown flashes of big play ability, and he deserves a chance to run behind an offensive line that's at least decent. 

If he and Ballard are fighting tooth and nail for reps and pushing each other to be better, that's only a good thing for us. I don't care who "wins the starting job" - we're going to need more than 1 RB to step up and play well this year.

As usual, my man Hans comes in with a voice of reason. Well done, sir.

I'm not saying your wrong....but why do you think this? In what areas is Vick Ballard better than DB?

Vision. Bar none, far and away, has better vision than DB. Donald brown needs his olive to make the holes in the right spot because he can't adjust to a broken play. Ballard can hop to the outside when the hole closes. has the punch behind him to be able to push through defenders aswell.

Vision. Bar none, far and away, has better vision than DB. Donald brown needs his olive to make the holes in the right spot because he can't adjust to a broken play. Ballard can hop to the outside when the hole closes. has the punch behind him to be able to push through defenders aswell.

Why isn't he getting far superior ypc then?