Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wheeler

Colts20593

I am not sure if he just got it in one game, but he played better than I have seen him play in a while. I think it had more to do with a dominating Defensive line though...

I'm with you. He played great, but I'm not sold on him after one or two good showings. I need to see an entire season's worth of play. The same goes for Angerer. I am high on him right now, but he showed us only one great game. One great game deserves another IMO, but let's not base our roster on it. Show me you can consistently play at that level. And like you said the D-Line deserves most of the credit for most of the successful defensive stops. I'm high on the linebacker corp, just not sold on them yet.

I was going to make a topic similar to this. Wheeler has done pretty well so far this year. He has progressed every year he has been in the league and constantly makes big plays for us. There are games where he looks like he forgot how to tackle or cover, so he just needs to stay consistent. He definitely has the potential to be a solid starter

maybe your Dline got better and hes now playing better as a result of that

Probably, I didn't see many O-line men running past the LOS, opening up clear shots on the RB.

Everyone was doing their job against the run. Gotta keep that up and work on coverage.

idk about most of you guys but im always skeptical when our defense makes these plays on the turf. they are smalll and fast and the turf helps........id like to see them make plays on the grass and consistently on the road. as far as angerer goes, hes a much more physical linebacker than bracket and it shows in run defense, but he was a seriously liability in the passing game. on 3rd downs , teams are either throwing just over the mlb, under the mlb's vacated spot.....or right at lacey. lol we need to figure it out. fortunately he as a year to improve his pass coverage.

That has some to do with it of course, but not all. Something I saw him start doing in the preseason (which he didn't do much of last year) is when a TE or FB or RB comes out at him, he is getting his hands on on the shoulder pads of the blocker. At that point he is able to control the blocker rather than the other way around.

It's the biggest difference in his game so far this year, he is doing that consistently.

That has some to do with it of course, but not all. Something I saw him start doing in the preseason (which he didn't do much of last year) is when a TE or FB or RB comes out at him, he is getting his hands on on the shoulder pads of the blocker. At that point he is able to control the blocker rather than the other way around.

It's the biggest difference in his game so far this year, he is doing that consistently.

Means everything for a strongside linebacker.

I think this is definitely a big part of it.

idk about most of you guys but im always skeptical when our defense makes these plays on the turf. they are smalll and fast and the turf helps........id like to see them make plays on the grass and consistently on the road. as far as angerer goes, hes a much more physical linebacker than bracket and it shows in run defense, but he was a seriously liability in the passing game. on 3rd downs , teams are either throwing just over the mlb, under the mlb's vacated spot.....or right at lacey. lol we need to figure it out. fortunately he as a year to improve his pass coverage.

Personally, I don't think Angerer is as bad at coverage as some make him out to be though there is always room for improvement. He is no Brackett in terms of coverage, but Brackett did more in coverage than most MLBs should due to the tampa 2 scheme. The majority of short passes that are completed are because Angerer is forced, due to the playcalling, to run into deep middle zone. Most LBs aren't going to be good in deep zone coverage against WRs and the more talented TEs, that's why LBs usually don't play deep zone coverage and instead a CB or Safety is used. This is all due to the tampa 2 defense as opposed to the cover 2. If we ran a straight cover 2 I think Angerer would be fine. He may not make a lot of interceptions but he'll make plays by swatting the ball or hitting the receiver and jarring the ball loose. The one thing I will absolutely give Brackett credit for is that he played the part of the cover MLB for the tampa 2 better than probably any other current LB could....again to clarify, I meant the coverage aspect of the tampa 2 MLB position. ;)

Excellent point. The best front 7 defenders have to dictate to the offensive line instead of the other way around. I do think improved DL play has helped but this is a big part of it as well.

So yeah, I've been impressed with both Wheeler and Conner so far this year. I do think we should go for an OLB somewhere in rounds 3-6 (cough cough..Nigel Bradham, FSU :D ). Not necessarily to replace Wheeler or Conner but to provide depth and to compete for the starting spot. Sometimes a good positional competition can be as much of an incentive as a contract year. :)

I think we should use him on pass rushing downs or when we want to blitz that's when he's at his best. Isn't a it a contract year for him? Funny how guys always step up in their contract year...

DONT GET TO FOND OF HIM, IF HE WANTS MORE MONEY HE IS GONE TO TENN OR JAX, we dont spend cap money on lbs

hello! could that be why we havent stopped the run for several years now?

Because we never had any LBs that were any good? Yes absolutely. But that just begs the question even more...why re-sign them and pay them more than they're worth? How are the Colts doing stopping the run this year?

So did this guy figure it out or what? Maybe I'm dreaming but I thought he was doing a good job.

Last season I gave him the nickname "The Roving [Poop]stain" because he was so bad.

He seems to have improved significantly, though, especially in his tackling. (But that's really not a compliment. Tackling is a fundamental of the game and is something you should never have to get better at when you get to the college level or above.)

I'm interested to see if he keeps his recent level of play up throughout the season.