Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyler Eifert

oldunclemark

We've had many discussions about how the NFL is changing and among the biggest change is the use of tight ends largely as receivers and less as blockers, right?.

So if Tyler Eifert,  a 6-foot-6 1/2 basketball on grass style wide receiver at Bishop Dwenger, is available when the Colts pick (and the top O-linemen are gone) why not maximize a strength.?

Consider this: Indy did use some 3 TE sets near the goal line last year and a 3 TE sets of Allen Fleener and Eifert could be unstoppable in mid-range pass situations.

Indy also lined up Allen as fullback which makes him uncoverable in a set with Fleener and Eifert.

The formation combinations and mismatches we could create would be  many.

We have 3 quality WRs but we willbe throwing and Indy games do ahve more posessins than most.

WE can wear down secondaries with size and talent.

Eifert is really a very tall wide receiver something Indy has needed for years. He can run away from defenses and has hands and jumping ability to go above any defender. I'd be surprised if Tampa Bay didnt take him.or seriously consider it. But what if they dont.  Grigson has an acute realization of the fact that even with 2 free agents, we have not created depth in our O-line. He's likely to go there but what if we dont.  

Lets face it.  We are a passing team. We play indoors. Since we have largely satisfied our other needs through free agency, why not maximize a strengh for many years and give Andrew Luck a strike force unparalelled nation wide..

Your thoughts.

Like I said before, we are going 3 TEs on the whole league, revolutionize this game, and pay WR money to our elite TEs :).

Sorry, Chad..I didnt see what you said...

But I agree. Defensively, how can you defend 6-7 Eifert, 6-6 Fleener, Allen, maybe coming out of the backfield and still spy TY and contain Wayne?

What combo of Houston LBs and safeties stops that?

We don't need a TE.  It's already a strength with Allen, Fleener and Saunders.  I don't want to see us overload one position and compromise another.  Build a complete team with good depth.

What if we were not compromising any other position.?

Think of Eifert as a hybrid..Remember..he is not really a TE....he's a BIG wide receiver..(he was a WR in high school) and an overmatch vertically for any corner

Think like Chad!

We've had many discussions about how the NFL is changing and among the biggest change is the use of tight ends largely as receivers and less as blockers, right?.

So if Tyler Eifert,  a 6-foot-6 1/2 basketball on grass style wide receiver at Bishop Dwenger, is available when the Colts pick (and the top O-linemen are gone) why not maximize a strength.?

Consider this: Indy did use some 3 TE sets near the goal line last year and a 3 TE sets of Allen Fleener and Eifert could be unstoppable in mid-range pass situations.

Indy also lined up Allen as fullback which makes him uncoverable in a set with Fleener and Eifert.

We have 3 quality WRs but we willbe throwing and Indy games do ahve more posessins than most.

Eifert is really a very tall wide receiver something Indy has needed for years. He can run away from defenses and has hands and jumping ability to go above any defender. I'd be surprised if Tampa Bay didnt take him.or seriously consider it. But what if they dont.  Grigson has an acute realization of the fact that even with 2 free agents, we have not created depth in our O-line. He's likely to go there but what if we dont.  

Lets face it.  We are a passing team. We play indoors. Since we have largely satisfied our other needs through free agency, why not maximize a strengh for many years and give Andrew Luck a strike force unparalelled nation wide..

Your thoughts.

When the Colts' turn comes up tomorrow, they will take the BPA at a position other than QB, K, P, LS, and TE.  No plausible way that Eifert is the pick.  1) I suspect he will be gone by the time Indy picks and 2) should he still be around, they will absolutely go elsewhere.

I'd be shocked if Eifert is there at 24.

Perhaps no other prospect is blowing up quite like him. Some pundits have him labeled as the best pure skill position player in the entire draft.

Mock drafts have him going as high as No. 6 to Cleveland. He had back problems at Notre Dame and while is blocking might need some work, his pass catching skills are elite.

Wherever he ends up, Eifert will be a dynamic receiver from Day 1.

I don't think we'll use enough 3 TE sets to justify using a first round pick on a position we're already set at.

Conventional wisdom says you are right. But if we are going to be a team like the Saints who use multiple TEs, multiple RBs, multiple WR formations on and off with Sean Payton's playcalling (in our case, Pep's), it doesn't sound so unconventional.

3 TE looks are not foreign to the league, to be honest. The key is, can we go vertical enough with those TEs and can they do inline blocking consistently well enough to justify them being on the field for most downs? If they can consistently separate like WRs, and block better than WRs, there is some merit to it, though it is outside the box w.r.t the current NFL.

Your thoughts.

I like the concept/strategy. Fleener, Allen and Eifert then Reggie and/or DHB really would cause havoc in the red zone. But we still need fundamental pieces like RG and OLB/DE. I wouldn't like to take Eifert before we addressed those needs. If we could find a decent TE late on then I'd have no issue drafting him.

'The box' is the key phrase..

Dont pigeon-hole players as TEs or tall WRs......

If we line up Fleener and Eifert near the goal line....who covers them...LBs, safeties or CBs 

Eifert is a hybrid and we need WR depth...especially guys who can get off the line...

You dont win by stockpiling depth but by maximizing strengths....

If we think we have the top QB going forward..(and I do) lets be bold and give him the top set of targets

I like the concept/strategy. Fleener, Allen and Eifert then Reggie and/or DHB really would cause havoc in the red zone. But we still need fundamental pieces like RG and OLB/DE. I wouldn't like to take Eifert before we addressed those needs. If we could find a decent TE late on then I'd have no issue drafting him.

The original idea came up when I asked in the draft section, if Zach Ertz were to drop and we were trading back, would we look into this from a 3 TE point of view? It is equally valid to discuss (as SMonroe in the thread below asks) about Tyler Eifert.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/17411-could-zach-ertz-of-stanford-this-year-be-a-better-rounded-te-than-fleener/

Conventional wisdom says you are right. But if we are going to be a team like the Saints who use multiple TEs, multiple RBs, multiple WR formations on and off with Sean Payton's playcalling (in our case, Pep's), it doesn't sound so unconventional.

3 TE looks are not foreign to the league, to be honest. The key is, can we go vertical enough with those TEs and can they do inline blocking consistently well enough to justify them being on the field for most downs? If they can consistently separate like WRs, and block better than WRs, there is some merit to it, though it is outside the box w.r.t the current NFL.

I like the concept, I'm just not a fan of using another high round pick on a TE. There are other TEs in this draft that can create similar mis-matches (though I admit they aren't as good as Eifert) that we could get in later rounds. Plus, I still like Saunders as the 3rd TE.

I like the idea of a 3 TE set but there has to be another big TE we can get latter in the draft and not use our first rounder on a position we dont really need.

again..not tigh end.....hybrid.....Eifert was a high school wide receiver at Bishop Dwenger and he would play both in different sets.

The one type of WR we dont have is the big posession guy.

I agree with all about the need for a starting guard.

But if there's no guard we believe is worthy of the pick ..and if there's a chance here to pick a unique player who could make us one of the top offenses in the nFL...lets not be afraid of it...because there's no prototype for it..  

Yesterday a lengthy thread about Teo and now this one. Are there any other ND players worthy of being the Colts #1?

Surprising. I didnt think there was any way to force Manti Teo into this discussion..

If Eifert gets beyond us...Belichek wont be afraid to take him and go 'trio' on us for the rest of the decade

Polian played the game of building up the offense at the expense of the defense and it got us one SB win. To be consistant and win several SBs with Luck we will have to strengthen the defense. We still need a stud DT.

But, as I said to begin with, what if we dont like what's left when we pick and Eifert is there?

We already gave free agent aid to the "D"...dont you think Eifert is a future all-pro

Surprising. I didnt think there was any way to force Manti Teo into this discussion..

If Eifert gets beyond us...Belichek wont be afraid to take him and go 'trio' on us for the rest of the decade

The thing is, if Eifert gets to us, if the Falcons come asking with a 1st and 3rd, I personally would take it and move down to No.30, it would be a Catch 22 for a while there :)

Please. Obviously we should trade our 1st this year and our 1,2,3, and 5 next year to move up and select Denard Robinson 1st overall. Just imagine it: 2 Qbs throwing the ball at the same time. If they both have 70% accuracy then together they would have 140% accuracy which =install super bowls.

I understand where you are coming from OP.

It could be interesting to use 3 TEs, but I think the NFL is gearing more towards small and fast receivers. Spread out the field and one or 2 big and fast TEs that can make the catches and block.

I think we have our weapons in Allen & Fleener without wasting a first rounder on a TE.

I think it may be a good idea but you have to consider the law of diminishing returns- The more we add to a position of strength, the less value added. The TE position is currently a position of strength for us and adding to it, only adds a little more value to the team overall, whereas if we added a stud pass rusher of OG, we would add much more value to our team.

I am not concerned about our offensive firepower. It's the pass rush or lack thereof that has me worried.

What if we were not compromising any other position.?

Think of Eifert as a hybrid..Remember..he is not really a TE....he's a BIG wide receiver..(he was a WR in high school) and an overmatch vertically for any corner

Think like Chad!

in a way your right, he was lined up at WR alot at ND also and not in the slot but on the outside. 

well what you could do is, trade Fleener or Allan for a mid to late 2nd round pick or a 3rd round pick draft Eifert and there you go. THAT being said, no way should we draft Eifert. I like him alot, and i think he is the best TE to ever come out of ND but we need defense. if we draft offense in the first round, it should be at RG. other then that we need to focus on pass rush or another CB 

I think it may be a good idea but you have to consider the law of diminishing returns- The more we add to a position of strength, the less value added. The TE position is currently a position of strength for us and adding to it, only adds a little more value to the team overall, whereas if we added a stud pass rusher of OG, we would add much more value to our team.

I am not concerned about our offensive firepower. It's the pass rush or lack thereof that has me worried.

yeah i think DE or OLB should be taken with our first pick, but another CB wouldnt hurt either.