Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anonymous GM: Worst draft in past 10 to 12 year.

The 2002 and 2005 drafts weren't that great.  You had some good players in the first round, but a lot of misses.

2002's best first round picks: Peppers, McKinnie, Freeney, John Henderson, Ed Reed...5/32 in my opinion.

2005's best first round picks: Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rogers, DeMarcus Ware, Derrick Johnson, Aaron Rodgers, Logan Mankins...6/32 that, in my estimation, are true first round picks.  The Colts took Marlin Jackson that year.  Good player, but very injury prone and no longer on a team.

Personally, I expect a first round pick to be a guy who will make a big impact on the team and go to several Pro Bowls.  A lot of the people taken in the first round in those years weren't that.

Honestly, I agree with him. This is a really good draft for offensive linemen and if you're looking for #2 WR's. Secondary's not bad. There's blue collar contributors on the defensive line that can help. TE is alright. Those are the bright spots.

The problem is at the difference making positions (QB, RB, #1 WR's, pass rushers), where it's really bad. The highest rated pass rushers right now couldn't even crack double digits in college. Manny Lawson 2.0 is being rated as a top 3 pick. You can strengthen the depth of your team in this draft, but the blue chip, turn-your-franchise around kind of gamebreakers just aren't there. The ones that have the physical potential to do it are rawer than the sashimi I had for lunch today.

This draft is not a sexy draft....it is not the QB, WR, RB draft of yesteryear.

This is the year to improve in the trenches and defense...one of the best OL drafts in years....lots of athletic 4-3 DEs...some very good bigs for DT and NT...

I can see a GM saying this because if ths draft was last year....the Colts were toast at QB....just not a sexy draft.

It's just one GM's opinion, that's all. It would be good to know who that GM is so that we can evaluate his previous drafts to see if this claim has any validity. If the GM has a weak background in making draft picks, then it would be a poor opinion of this year's draft.

Maybe there is a reason he is anonymous????

Most folks Kiper and McShay talked to, personnel folks, feel that the draft, while not top heavy, the 6th and 7th round picks in this draft could be 5th or 6th rounders in prior drafts. Plus, there will be a lot of undrafted free agents that would be better than in other years.

This may be the worst first round material in years but a draft is not just defined by round 1.

Meh. I think rating the first round as the worst in however many years might be accurate. There's probably 10-15 players in the first round this year that would have second round grades in other years, but there's probably a total of 50 players that would have second round grades, increasing the value of later rounds.

And I really think this general lack of excitement is due to there not being any sure thing prospects at quarterback, and not a lot of excitement at receiver. The best players are trench players, not so-called skill position guys. But even then, if you get Ryan Nassib or EJ Manuel toward the middle or end of second round, that's a better value than in recent years where Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder were first rounders, or Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden. Robert Woods in the middle of the second is as good as Kendall Wright at the end of the first, I think. There are no first round running backs, but that's been the case for at least the past four years (think about taking Ryan Matthews, CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best in the first round).

I really like this draft, to be honest. It's not sexy and exciting, but I think there are a going to be a lot of really good players taken in the first two days. And I think maybe half of the top 30 are going to come on the second day.

Peyton, Brady and Brees all had weak arms in their assessment during the time of the draft. Where are they now, those pundits?

This should be a spoof of that VH1 show where they talk about young stars, where are they now? :)

I don't understand this post....

-- Peyton went #1 and the only question was would he go #1 or #2.    Pundits didn't seem to far off.

-- Brees was a borderline 1st rounder and went 1st pick in the 2nd round...  I don't recall his arm being an issue,  it was his height.

-- And, as for Brady?   You're questioning pundits about Brady?!?   Why don't you question why all NFL teams passed on him 198 times before NE took him with #199.     I don't think you can question the pundits on that one. 

Besides....    this isn't a pundit questioning the draft....   this is an NFL GM.    I think his credentials are better than a pundit.

Maybe there is a reason he is anonymous????

I think this is the answer to your question....   from the story....

What I'm hearing repeatedly from some team personnel men, as the draft gets closer and the honesty increases, is that this draft is subpar. Extremely subpar. Few team personnel want to say anything publicly about the paucity of talent out of fear of hearing from the NFL. There's this thought process that if you criticize the draft, you risk the ire of the NFL; the league doesn't want anyone publicly criticizing the draft out of fear of injuring television ratings.

Meh. I think rating the first round as the worst in however many years might be accurate. There's probably 10-15 players in the first round this year that would have second round grades in other years, but there's probably a total of 50 players that would have second round grades, increasing the value of later rounds.

And I really think this general lack of excitement is due to there not being any sure thing prospects at quarterback, and not a lot of excitement at receiver. The best players are trench players, not so-called skill position guys. But even then, if you get Ryan Nassib or EJ Manuel toward the middle or end of second round, that's a better value than in recent years where Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder were first rounders, or Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden. Robert Woods in the middle of the second is as good as Kendall Wright at the end of the first, I think. There are no first round running backs, but that's been the case for at least the past four years (think about taking Ryan Matthews, CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best in the first round).

I really like this draft, to be honest. It's not sexy and exciting, but I think there are a going to be a lot of really good players taken in the first two days. And I think maybe half of the top 30 are going to come on the second day.

I just listened to EJ Manuel.....seems like a winner....although he compared himself to Big Ben...

Your post was similar to mine...sure you do not wish to edit?  :)  God stuff Sup!!

I don't understand this post....

-- Peyton went #1 and the only question was would he go #1 or #2.    Pundits didn't seem to far off.

-- Brees was a borderline 1st rounder and went 1st pick in the 2nd round...  I don't recall his arm being an issue,  it was his height.

-- And, as for Brady?   You're questioning pundits about Brady?!?   Why don't you question why all NFL teams passed on him 198 times before NE took him with #199.     I don't think you can question the pundits on that one. 

Besides....    this isn't a pundit questioning the draft....   this is an NFL GM.    I think his credentials are better than a pundit.

An analogy to someone saying something that they are not held accountable for later, that is all I meant. :)

Yes, they did mock Peyton for his arm and had Leaf over him, several of them. It was not lop sided in favor of Peyton by any means.

Yes, they did mock Brees for his height, just like they did with Russell Wilson, I agree there. But then, these guys overcame the odds and the ones who poked holes are nowhere to be found now. That was my point.

An analogy to someone saying something that they are not held accountable for later, that is all I meant. :)

Yes, they did mock Peyton for his arm and had Leaf over him, several of them. It was not lop sided in favor of Peyton by any means.

Yes, they did mock Brees for his height, just like they did with Russell Wilson, I agree there. But then, these guys overcame the odds and the ones who poked holes are nowhere to be found now. That was my point.

Fair enough....

Honestly,  that's always been a bug up my *** with the media.

They'll hear about a possible trade and scream that the home town team should do the deal because they need to win NOW!!

Fast forward, 4-6 years...   the hometown team did the trade and won...  but didn't win it all...   now, the hotshot minor leaguer, or draft pick that was given up has turned into something really good...  and now the media guy is screaming why did the team do that trade?!    It was short sighted!    Look what they gave up and how good the kid is and how good would that kid be on the home town team.

In short....  media types ALWAYS want it both ways....    and they never comment that they were wrong way back when....

It's always bothered me....   even when I was a member of the media....

There are some years when people think this is a terrific draft class that doesn't end up turning out that well, and there are some that don't seem to have a ton of talent and get rated low, but then turn out to be great. I don't think this years any different, just a classic case of bad scouting, when the better players get projected low and are taken there. Just like any year, there are gonna be some late round gems and diamonds in the rough.