Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Al Michaels arrested and charged with DUI

Happy2BeHere

Fwiw, I imagine myself to be pretty buttoned up; to be the kind of guy you wouldn't "see in the news for this"...

but I've definitely had a small number of times where I gotten myself home, only to realize I probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel. Had I been pulled over, the results would have raised some eyebrows, to say the least.

I would guess there are those who will react to this news, and assume Al Michaels is an alcoholic now. I'm not suggesting he definitely isn't, but it is far more likely he just got caught making a bad decision. I've made them too, I just haven't been caught, and endeavor to avoid those situations now.

i don't understand why millionaires would ever drive drunk. Call a taxi or car service. its just not worth the risk

Well....    not to defend the guy....    but I'd imagine he didn't realize he was drunk.

His breathalizer test was .08,  which is right at the limit.   And many people who blow that don't think of themselves as drunk...

Also,  I don't think he lives far away from the restaurant....   I imagine he went home thinking this was just another night...

Remember,  he didn't get pulled over for some moving violation.    He got snared in a DUI road test trap.    It happens to plenty of people...

Sorry if this came off as a defense....   I was only to trying to offer an explanation...

(And for the record,   I don't drink -- at all.   Never been drunk)

Fwiw, I imagine myself to be pretty buttoned up; to be the kind of guy you wouldn't "see in the news for this"...

but I've definitely had a small number of times where I gotten myself home, only to realize I probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel. Had I been pulled over, the results would have raised some eyebrows, to say the least.

I would guess there are those who will react to this news, and assume Al Michaels is an alcoholic now. I'm not suggesting he definitely isn't, but it is far more likely he just got caught making a bad decision. I've made them too, I just haven't been caught, and endeavor to avoid those situations now.

That is one subject that I can't stand. People who don't know anything, making assumptions on other people's conditions or problems. I used to drink occasionally..got drunk on my 21st B-day...never really was into drinking like some people...then, because I caught Hepatitis C from a medical procedure a long time ago, it developed into cirrhosis of the liver. I needed a life-saving transplant to stay alive). All during the time I was diagnosed, and even now, when I tell the story that I had cirrhosis, people even blatantly tell me.."that's what you get for drinking too much"..or.."were you a big drinker?" Even when I told my story in the hospital to nurses, and other medical people, they gave me a funny look, save for the liver department where they treat this sort of thing every day.

I am not a violent person, but every person who asked that, or gave me a dirty look like I was lying, I so wanted to punch them right in the mouth. They have no idea what I went through, what my family went through, just because of their ignorance and lack of decency.. People make mistakes, and I'm sure Mr Michaels is regretting driving home, and is sorry for his mistake.

Why are people such ignorant (insert many appropriate words here)...?

Oh, and by the way...(for those interested), May 1st it will be 4 years since my life was given back to me through a transplant, and also, after months and months of interferon treatments I have been virus free for 2 years now..so technically, I beat Hep C...).

One thing we can all learn from this, and many other incidents of people caught for DUI, is that we all make mistakes, and we shouldn't jump to conclusions, or berate and belittle others for their transgressions...and more importantly..If you go out drinking, get a cab or a designated driver...its not worth it..

I'm not sure anyone was jumping to conclusions or calling him an alcoholic here though....

To me he just seems like such a top notch guy...the kind of guy smart enough that wouldn't be in this situation regardless of how "close" or "at" the limit he was. That' all I'm saying!

Wow...I can say this one caught me by surprise....he doesn't seem like someone you'd see in the news for this.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/21/us/al-michaels-arrest/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Interesting comments about this topic. "He doesnt seem like...." - what does that mean? If it was someone you think is a drunk it would make sense to you? Thats excactly how these guys get away with these behaviors for years. Until they mess up like this. 

A wise man told me - if you dont want to be disappointed - dont walk around with athletes & celebrities on a pedalstool. Most of them would struggle living our day to day average lives anyway.

I personally dont like when ppl give passes to ppl "just because" they have a better public perceptions in the media. But will turn around & say I dont want so & so on my team because of a mistake he made as a kid.

T Mathieu comes to mind. Id rather have a weed smoker in the privacy of his own home than a drunken driver.

Yes - my opinion & off topic - so negative comments are expected.

I can take it.

i don't understand why millionaires would ever drive drunk. Call a taxi or car service. its just not worth the risk

I hope for you this isnt true - but driving not necessarily drunk - but over the legal limit at some point in a man's life isnt unusual.

Being a millionaire doesnt have anything to do with a man's ability to make dumb choices. And pointing out having the means to call a taxi is what makes this "seem" like a bigger issue.

I hope for you this isnt true - but driving not necessarily drunk - but over the legal limit at some point in a man's life isnt unusual.

Being a millionaire doesnt have anything to do with a man's ability to make dumb choices. And pointing out having the means to call a taxi is what makes this "seem" like a bigger issue.

in my younger days i drove over the limit too many times. If I'm planning on having cocktails now, i take a cab to and from the bar. A DUI is far more expensive than cab fare

I have no pity or patience for drunk drivers, especially when we're talking about a man of his age. 

However, they keep lowering the legal limit to a point where it really sits on the side of caution, often causing people to drive *legally drunk when the person may not be inhibited or otherwise have any idea idea that they're legally drunk. 

Well we all should exercise caution if we are unsure. I don't give Michaels a free pass on this one at all. IMO their is no difference between being "a little over the limit" or "a lot over the limit"....sure call me stringent but it makes sense to me that rules are established for a reason. However, I do believe in forgiveness...we all make mistakes....fortunate that this particular one didn't cost anyone a life or significant ailment.

I have no pity or patience for drunk drivers, especially when we're talking about a man of his age.

However, they keep lowering the legal limit to a point where it really sits on the side of caution, often causing people to drive *legally drunk when the person may not be inhibited or otherwise have any idea idea that they're legally drunk.

It's odd. Technically you could literally drink a beer or take a shot and still get a DUI. It's all a matter of how it's on your breath. My buddy has a breathalyzer and he took a shot of Vodka and that thing went to the roof right after he took it. About 10-20 minutes later it registered a well under the legal limit.

Well we all should exercise caution if we are unsure. I don't give Michaels a free pass on this one at all. IMO their is no difference between being "a little over the limit" or "a lot over the limit"....sure call me stringent but it makes sense to me that rules are established for a reason. However, I do believe in forgiveness...we all make mistakes....fortunate that this particular one didn't cost anyone a life or significant ailment.

I do not drink. I have a great deal of disdain for people that get sloppy drunk and drive.

However, if you ever get pulled over for suspicion of DWI, and you don't feel you're drunk, you know you didn't drink much....DO NOT TAKE THE BREATHALYZER. If you do take the breathalyzer and are surprised you failed, testing within .04 of the limit, you must demand a blood test immediately. 

Much like the magic machine known as the lie detector, the breathalyzer can be scientifically flawed and grossly inaccurate.

Issues with the breathalyzer.

"Inaccurate breathalyzer results are very possible because breathalyzers are known not to be accurate. Court cases across the country have recognized something called an ‘inherent error’ in all breathalyzers. This error states that the normal breathalyzer result may be off by .01%. Other studies say that breathalyzers range in accuracy from .0005 to .04% error. That means your .09% may actually have been anywhere from a .05% to a .13%, which can be a HUGE margin of error!"

"Breathalyzers are flawed in multiple ways. First, they attempt to measure blood alcohol levels through the breath. Second, they are machines that can suffer from mechanical defects and user error. Third, they are based on a standard that may not be appropriate for all users. Based on this, the opportunity for a false reading is quite present."

"Because this type of breathalyzer works with resistance, rather than chemical reaction or infrared lasers, it needs to be regularly calibrated. Calibration is often quite expensive, and can easily be overlooked."

"Overlooked"? Yeah, more like purposefully overlooked. 

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05/sfpd-breathalyzer-error-puts-hundreds-of-dui-convictions-in-doubt/

http://www.koamtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11823069

I say all this not to defend drunk driving, or, to defend the consumption of alcohol and toeing the line. Just to give people pause that perhaps Michaels may not have been sloppy, falling-down drunk. He may not even have been drunk at all. 

I don't trust cops. They're friggin snakes. 

I do not drink. I have a great deal of disdain for people that get sloppy drunk and drive.

However, if you ever get pulled over for suspicion of DWI, and you don't feel you're drunk, you know you didn't drink much....DO NOT TAKE THE BREATHALYZER. If you do take the breathalyzer and are surprised you failed, testing within .04 of the limit, you must demand a blood test immediately.

Much like the magic machine known as the lie detector, the breathalyzer can be scientifically flawed and grossly inaccurate.

Issues with the breathalyzer.

"Inaccurate breathalyzer results are very possible because breathalyzers are known not to be accurate. Court cases across the country have recognized something called an ‘inherent error’ in all breathalyzers. This error states that the normal breathalyzer result may be off by .01%. Other studies say that breathalyzers range in accuracy from .0005 to .04% error. That means your .09% may actually have been anywhere from a .05% to a .13%, which can be a HUGE margin of error!"

"Breathalyzers are flawed in multiple ways. First, they attempt to measure blood alcohol levels through the breath. Second, they are machines that can suffer from mechanical defects and user error. Third, they are based on a standard that may not be appropriate for all users. Based on this, the opportunity for a false reading is quite present."

"Because this type of breathalyzer works with resistance, rather than chemical reaction or infrared lasers, it needs to be regularly calibrated. Calibration is often quite expensive, and can easily be overlooked."

"Overlooked"? Yeah, more like purposefully overlooked.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05/sfpd-breathalyzer-error-puts-hundreds-of-dui-convictions-in-doubt/

http://www.koamtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11823069

I say all this not to defend drunk driving, or, to defend the consumption of alcohol and toeing the line. Just to give people pause that perhaps Michaels may not have been sloppy, falling-down drunk. He may not even have been drunk at all.

I don't trust cops. They're friggin snakes.

if you refuse to take the breathalyzer in Indiana, you still get the dui. a refusal is the same as failing

if you refuse to take the breathalyzer in Indiana, you still get the dui. a refusal is the same as failing

You have the option of being taken into custody and going to the hospital for a blood test. They'll give you this option at the time of their request to have you tested. Refuse any test, and they can garner a warrant for your blood. 

You don't have to take their flawed test. You do have to take A test. 

That is one subject that I can't stand. People who don't know anything, making assumptions on other people's conditions or problems. I used to drink occasionally..got drunk on my 21st B-day...never really was into drinking like some people...then, because I caught Hepatitis C from a medical procedure a long time ago, it developed into cirrhosis of the liver. I needed a life-saving transplant to stay alive). All during the time I was diagnosed, and even now, when I tell the story that I had cirrhosis, people even blatantly tell me.."that's what you get for drinking too much"..or.."were you a big drinker?" Even when I told my story in the hospital to nurses, and other medical people, they gave me a funny look, save for the liver department where they treat this sort of thing every day.

I am not a violent person, but every person who asked that, or gave me a dirty look like I was lying, I so wanted to punch them right in the mouth. They have no idea what I went through, what my family went through, just because of their ignorance and lack of decency.. People make mistakes, and I'm sure Mr Michaels is regretting driving home, and is sorry for his mistake.

Oh, and by the way...(for those interested), May 1st it will be 4 years since my life was given back to me through a transplant, and also, after months and months of interferon treatments I have been virus free for 2 years now..so technically, I beat Hep C...).

One thing we can all learn from this, and many other incidents of people caught for DUI, is that we all make mistakes, and we shouldn't jump to conclusions, or berate and belittle others for their transgressions...and more importantly..If you go out drinking, get a cab or a designated driver...its not worth it..

Wow, glad it worked out for you  Colt Fan.

yes I heard about a few of these

Again...you have the option presented to you to either take the unreliable, piece of junk breathalyzer OR you can go to the hospital and get an actual BAC test. 

Only if you refuse to do either will you be arrested. 

if he is convicted it is just a matter of time

He'll likely plead guilty....   and that will likely be the end of it.

NBC is not firing the #1 broadcaster in sports over a first offense DUI of .08.

It's simply not happening.    And if they do,  every other network will line-up and fight for the right to hire him.

He may have to go to rehab if his problem is worse than publicly known,  but his future should be fine....

if Marv Albert kept his job, Al won't get fired for this

Actually....  if my memory is still working (always in doubt!)  I think Marv lost his job for about a year to 18 months or so...

And then go it back....   and he's been going strong ever since....  

But I think he did lose his job.

A first time barely drunk DUI is one thing....    but wild kinky sex going public is quite another....  (if ya know what I mean?!?!)

Actually....  if my memory is still working (always in doubt!)  I think Marv lost his job for about a year to 18 months or so..

yeah marv lost his job for a while. not sure the exact circumstances. but i agree there is no way michael's job is in jeopardy with the info at hand

i'm sure michael's will have top notch defense & wouldn't be surprised one bit if the charges are dropped

Well....    not to defend the guy....    but I'd imagine he didn't realize he was drunk.

His breathalizer test was .08,  which is right at the limit.   And many people who blow that don't think of themselves as drunk...

Also,  I don't think he lives far away from the restaurant....   I imagine he went home thinking this was just another night...

Remember,  he didn't get pulled over for some moving violation.    He got snared in a DUI road test trap.    It happens to plenty of people...

Sorry if this came off as a defense....   I was only to trying to offer an explanation...

(And for the record,   I don't drink -- at all.   Never been drunk)

I would agree with you if this were true, there used to be a great commercial here in Boston about drug driving where they showed two people, one was a kid who got really wasted and got home by crashing his car into his yard, but avoided arrest and cops on the way home . . . the other guy was a family man out with his family at a local resturant and had a drink or two with dinner and drove home and was cut off by an errand driver and ran into a trash can (so not his fault), cops came to investigate the accident and although it was not his fault, he was near his home and merely had a drink or two with dinner he was charged with OUI . . . the moral of the commercial is that one does not have to be drunk to be OUI, thus warning some than a few drinks at dinner could be enough even tho one is otherwise okay and has all the facilities to drive . . . I tyhought it was a great commerical

Perhaps Al Micheals was like this guy as you said and it is too bad . .. but i did some serving on the internet and could not find this . . . found one source saying that he saw the road block, made an illegal uturn to avoid it and the cops saw this, went after him, pulled him over, gave him a field soberity test and then arrested him  . . .