Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laron Landry FTW

TKnight24

Yeah, this is a quote from Landry on Rex Ryan's comments that he should change the way he plays: “I’m going to continue to play the way I play,” Landry told the Record. “I have to critique myself and try not to put myself in a position like that again. . . . I have to get a little smarter and use the right judgment.”

Sounds like Ed Reed and every other defensive player that was fined.....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Ed Reed and every other defensive player that was fined.....

Not at all. Reed is coachable and at least one of his fines has been overturned. I've never heard Reed been called a dirty player and I have never seen him on record saying that he won't change his game, and why would he need to when he has become known as one of the best all-time with his style of play?

Not at all. Reed is coachable and at least one of his fines has been overturned. I've never heard Reed been called a dirty player and I have never seen him on record saying that he won't change his game, and why would he need to when he has become known as one of the best all-time with his style of play?

Reduced ≠ Overturned. 

As I said in one of these posts... his partial Skins 2010 season was better than his Jets season. Played out of his mind that year (only to regress dramatically in 2011) but our coaching staff had him playing a somewhat limited LB-ish role. Honestly, he'd probably make a better Monte Kiffin-era Tampa 2-style MLB than a safety.

Sounds like he has an discipline iissue. Maybe a touch of arrogant selfish *. Hard to say since I haven't really seen him interact with our guys or anything. I don't think Grigson or pagano would bring him in if the later was an issue. Honestly, it just takes some guys longer to grow up, mature and get their act together. Sanders had none of those issues. He would just use his body as a human wrecking ball and it couldn't hold up.

Not at all. Reed is coachable and at least one of his fines has been overturned. He isn't a dirty player and I have never seen him on record saying that he won't change his game, and why would he need to when he has become known as one of the best all-time with his style of play?

Never claimed he was dirty, but the fact is he has been fined a few times over the last couple year and was facing a suspension for being repeat offender. And what makes him a 1st ballot HOF was his ball hawking skills not his hits.

Never claimed he was dirty, but the fact is he has been fined a few times over the last couple year and was facing a suspension for being repeat offender. And what makes him a 1st ballot HOF was his ball hawking skills not his hits.

That wasn't the original point. The point was that Landry has attitude problems and has been known to rebuke advice from the coaching staffs of both teams he has played for. Reed's style of play is physical, yes it is a part of his HOF certainty, and it is no surprise that he has been fined at least a few times in his 10 year career.

That wasn't the original point. The point was that Landry has attitude problems and has been known to rebuke advice from the coaching staffs of both teams he has played for. Reed's style of play is physical, yes it is a part of his HOF certainty, and it is no surprise that he has been fined at least a few times in his 10 year career.

He has been fined like 3 times the past two years.

Point was, that sounded like a throw away comment by a player that has just been fined. Unless of course if it was regarding another aspect of his play.

Point was, that sounded like a throw away comment by a player that has just been fined. Unless of course if it was regarding another aspect of his play.

No, it was the latter.

He was fined 3 times last year alone.

You guys shouldn't look into the whole "fine" thing so much. You know the NFL has gone soft. You can barely touch offensive players, especially the QB's

Anything to advance an argument, I suppose. :bored: Especially considering some of the guys who were hit claim that the NFL were too stiff and hefty with the fines and punishments.

You guys shouldn't look into the whole "fine" thing so much. You know the NFL has gone soft. You can barely touch offensive players, especially the QB's

I know that's what I see when I watch the NFL...."SOFT" .

Anything to advance an argument, I suppose. :bored: Especially considering some of the guys who were hit claim that the NFL were too stiff and hefty with the fines and punishments.

Yep. Soon as they hear a loud smack, flag comes out claiming it was helmet to helmet or the guy was defenseless. Just terrible

Yep. Soon as they hear a loud smack, flag comes out claiming it was helmet to helmet or the guy was defenseless. Just terrible

Oh no don't say "flag" you might give Goodell some ideas haha. I'm all about player safety 100 %, but some of those hits are just football plays. I can understand the penalties when they are blatantly meant to harm. No room for stuff like that in the game.

Oh no don't say "flag" you might give Goodell some ideas haha. I'm all about player safety 100 %, but some of those hits are just football plays. I can understand the penalties when they are blatantly meant to harm. No room for stuff like that in the game.

haha we all know he doesn't need anymore ideas. Next thing you know he'll make it to where the defense's can't blitz like in the Pro Bowl lmao

Do you know why Landry isn't here anymore? We were actually interested in retaining him at one time under this coaching staff.

He didn't respond very well to discipline. He's an immature, me-first kind of guy whose attitude made it easy for us to let him walk.

Yeah roids will do that to ya, didn't you ever see that cheesy movie when Ben Afleck gets all rounded up and becomes an immature * lol.

I do honestly like the pick up though and wish him success. All the potential in the world is there but the guy does seem very hard headed. He does what he wants and if our organization doesn't approve of it, it will probabaly not bode well.

I watched every snap Landry played for five years and I really wanted him to be a great player. He was not. He was simply a guy who tried hard to make the flashy play and did occasionally succeed but not nearly as often as he failed spectacularly. For every time he made a bone jarring hit on a guy he whiffed on three tackles, failed to wrap up on two more, got trucked once, celebrated as if he had just made a game-changing play after merely making a tackle 15 yards downfield three times, got beat in coverage 5 times, and lost a footrace to a 265 pound tight end.

He's more of a sheep in wolves' clothing than he is any sort of real beast on the field. Of course, if you're in to bodybuilding or mens' physiques then maybe he is a beast in those respects. I'm not the best judge of that, though.

You'll probably like him plenty at first but as time goes on his antics and failings will wear on you - provided he stays healthy.

I watch all the Skins games every Sunday too as I'm forced to because I'm a Washingtonian so I know exactly what type of player he is/was.

His role completely changed when #21 died. Landry is an athletic marvel but in no way was it a good decision for the Skins to attempt to use Landry in the 'Sean Taylor' role. He was originally drafted (ahead of Adrian Peterson) to complement #21 which was the perfect role for him.

Landry hasn't had a truly good safety mate since Taylor and the fact that we have Bethea running with Landry will make things that much better.

Only reason the Skins didn't bring him back is because he refused to have surgery on his Achilles. Not because of his play on the field. He wanted to let it heal naturally so the Front office thought he was uncooperative and not a tem player when In fact he was the most talented Redskin.

He's a Colt now and he is a beast.

P.S. he only got trucked once and it was Brandon Jacobs for goodness sakes.

I watch all the Skins games every Sunday too as I'm forced to because I'm a Washingtonian so I know exactly what type of player he is/was.

His role completely changed when #21 died. Landry is an athletic marvel but in no way was it a good decision for the Skins to attempt to use Landry in the 'Sean Taylor' role. He was originally drafted (ahead of Adrian Peterson) to complement #21 which was the perfect role for him.

Landry hasn't had a truly good safety mate since Taylor and the fact that we have Bethea running with Landry will make things that much better.

Only reason the Skins didn't bring him back is because he refused to have surgery on his Achilles. Not because of his play on the field. He wanted to let it heal naturally so the Front office thought he was uncooperative and not a tem player when In fact he was the most talented Redskin.

He's a Colt now and he is a beast.

P.S. he only got trucked once and it was Brandon Jacobs for goodness sakes.

Man, I wish we'd taken AP in retrospect... even with Clinton Portis still on his game.  That's a fair assessment, though.  The problem I have with his game is that it's very reminiscent of Roy Williams (the ex-Cowboys safety) and I like guys who are a little more complete.  At a minimum, your SS should be fundamentally sound in coverage which I wouldn't quite call Landry as coverage is a clear weakness of his despite possessing plenty of athleticism to excel in the short area.

There was more to him not coming back than JUST the achilles injury and his failure to properly rehab it.  A lot of things went down that made it clear he had to go (although it would be fair to say the injury was the primary catalyst in all of it).

As for the trucked thing, yeah, that didn't happen often and there was certainly a good chunk of hyperbole in that post.  He did whiff and/or fail to wrap up pretty frequently, though.  That was the single most frustrating thing about the guy.  If you're going to be a one-dimensional, in-the-box safety at least wrap up so guys don't get away from you.

That wasn't the original point. The point was that Landry has attitude problems and has been known to rebuke advice from the coaching staffs of both teams he has played for. Reed's style of play is physical, yes it is a part of his HOF certainty, and it is no surprise that he has been fined at least a

few times in his 10 year career.

i won't hold his rebuke of rex's "advice" against him. Considering the state of things in the jets organization

Rex hasn't proved he is actually a coach yet

i won't hold his rebuke of rex's "advice" against him. Considering the state of things in the jets organization

Rex hasn't proved he is actually a coach yet

He did the same with the Redskins though. Having a guy who will not listen to coaches and who continues to "headhunt" is a warning flag. Maybe he will listen to Pagano, maybe not. But I want someone who respects their coaches. That's just what I think lol.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 22, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, April 22, 2013 - inflammatory

Another thread hijacked and ruined by a RG3/skins fan. 

Are there annoying colts fans trolling the redskins forums?  just freakin go away already...

I'm looking for Laron to bring it this year. And based on our schedule, looks like I'll be seeing his 1st big hit as a Colt :D

Can't wait to jump outta my seat when it happens. Been awhile since we had that heavy hitter roaming the secondary. Connor & Freeman had a few big hits last year, but nothing like having a hard hitting safety

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 22, 2013 - quoted removed post
Hidden by Nadine, April 22, 2013 - quoted removed post

Are there annoying colts fans trolling the redskins forums?  just freakin go away already...

why are they trolling? they are offering their opinion whatst he big deal wtih that?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 22, 2013 - quoted removed post
Hidden by Nadine, April 22, 2013 - quoted removed post

Are there annoying colts fans trolling the redskins forums? just freakin go away already...

No joke, RG3..... Quit trying to rationalize why he didn't pan out for your team....played well last season on a bad Jets team, and is paired with Bethea....if he stays healthy look the hell out. Add in Vontae Davis and (hopefully) Toler and the Colts defensive backfield looks a ton better. And you do remember that Pagano has a real knack for getting the most out of DBs and safeties; he is known for that. Go back to NFL General and start another Luck v. RG3 thread...wait, don't.

No joke, RG3..... Quit trying to rationalize why he didn't pan out for your team....played well last season on a bad Jets team, and is paired with Bethea....if he stays healthy look the heck out. Add in Vontae Davis and (hopefully) Toler and the Colts defensive backfield looks a ton better. And you do remember that Pagano has a real knack for getting the most out of DBs and safeties; he is known for that. Go back to NFL General and start another Luck v. RG3 thread...wait, don't.

RGIII has never started a 12 v.s. Griffin thread. Nor is he trying to rationalize anything, he is just letting you guys know what the rest of the league has known for years now. Stop being so hostile. There will be other fanbases here that may or may not like some of you guys' signings, nothing wrong with that. We'll see if Pagano can get anything out of stubborn Landry. But for now, everyone is free to speculate.

64 games-Landry-383 tackles 5.5 sacks 4 interceptions 31 pass deflections

74 games-Reed-276 tackles 4 sacks 27 interceptions 36 pass deflections

Landry has played in a total of 80 games in his career (which obviously Reed has played alot more but 74 was the closest I could come to make this comparison) but through those games those numbers are not really that far apart, keeping in mind the difference in styles of play 

64 games-Landry-383 tackles 5.5 sacks 4 interceptions 31 pass deflections

74 games-Reed-276 tackles 4 sacks 27 interceptions 36 pass deflections

Landry has played in a total of 80 games in his career (which obviously Reed has played alot more but 74 was the closest I could come to make this comparison) but through those games those numbers are not really that far apart, keeping in mind the difference in styles of play

I wasn't talking stats when I said style of play but those comparable numbers do look good. As has been mentioned, Landry has shown flashes of potential before in the past.

I wasn't talking stats when I said style of play but those comparable numbers do look good. As has been mentioned, Landry has shown flashes of potential before in the past.

Landry is more of run stopper make you pay coming over the middle risk type of player of course but hey I can live with that if he misses from time to time

Landry is more of run stopper make you pay coming over the middle risk type of player of course but hey I can live with that if he misses from time to time

Yeah exactly. Should be interesting to see how Pagano enhances his strengths while also trying to improve the weaknesses in coverage.

Yeah, this is a quote from Landry on Rex Ryan's comments that he should change the way he plays: “I’m going to continue to play the way I play,” Landry told the Record. “I have to critique myself and try not to put myself in a position like that again. . . . I have to get a little smarter and use the right judgment.”

I think a dose of Pagano no-nonsense with a dash of Ray Anderson coaching along with Mile Gillhamer will help.  

I do not put much into Rex Ryan these days myself....especially when he starts talking/mouthing off baseball schedules when he has a few 'problems' of his own.

I will be the first to admit if Landry does not come in and use 'his right judgement.'  TEAM FIRST!  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I think a dose of Pagano no-nonsense with a dash of Ray Anderson coaching along with Mile Gillhamer will help.

I do not put much into Rex Ryan these days myself....especially when he starts talking/mouthing off baseball schedules when he has a few 'problems' of his own.

I will be the first to admit if Landry does not come in and use 'his right judgement.' TEAM FIRST! :coltshelmet::coltshelmet:

Yeah no-nonsense is exactly what's needed. If he can get his head on straight you guys should have a good secondary, and an improvement from last year.

Yeah no-nonsense is exactly what's needed. If he can get his head on straight you guys should have a good secondary, and an improvement from last year.

I think Gavin will agree...minus Vaughn and some new blood...secondary is gonna be good if healthy...Vaughn is simply awful IMO....Draft?  UFA...gotta be a better cover somewhere in the world than Vaughn who needs to take off Edge's 32.......soon :)

Amazing the season is closer than we even realize...the draft...I am as excited as last year....and as a Colt fan we had no expectations of 11-5....Love it!!!