Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laron Landry FTW

TKnight24

Hello :colts: Family :wave:

Those of you who're still wondering what Laron Landry will be bringing to the table here in Indianapolis, I found a video from last year (His Pro Bowl year) to give you a taste of things to come.

In the video, it shows some good plays & plays he could've played better. Kinda like a Highlight/Lowlight mixture.

PS: The music to the video is explicit so listen at will haha . And there's 3 Colts players (2 are still here) that may actually be glad that they won't be getting hit by Landry anymore. Also, DO NOT quote this with the YouTube link in it as it will re-post the video and slow down the thread causing other forum members loading problems. Wanna make sure everyone enjoys their forum experience!

Enjoy!!!

Video contains strong language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNO5Ryh4JyE

Edited by 21isSuperman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to injure but to put a good hit on them send a message. Haven't had that type of hard hitting since Sanders and Landry will do the same.

Ahh, makes sense. And then when they fumble, pick the ball up & run. Landry may have played RB in his day. You see his ballcarrier vision in the vid? Plus his speed, he's just like Sanders imo

Don't kid yourself, Landry is a beast.

P.S. Scrap that horrible avatar.

I watched every snap Landry played for five years and I really wanted him to be a great player.  He was not.  He was simply a guy who tried hard to make the flashy play and did occasionally succeed but not nearly as often as he failed spectacularly.  For every time he made a bone jarring hit on a guy he whiffed on three tackles, failed to wrap up on two more, got trucked once, celebrated as if he had just made a game-changing play after merely making a tackle 15 yards downfield three times, got beat in coverage 5 times, and lost a footrace to a 265 pound tight end.

He's more of a sheep in wolves' clothing than he is any sort of real beast on the field.  Of course, if you're in to bodybuilding or mens' physiques then maybe he is a beast in those respects.  I'm not the best judge of that, though.

You'll probably like him plenty at first but as time goes on his antics and failings will wear on you - provided he stays healthy.

I watched every snap Landry played for five years and I really wanted him to be a great player. He was not. He was simply a guy who tried hard to make the flashy play and did occasionally succeed but not nearly as often as he failed spectacularly. For every time he made a bone jarring hit on a guy he whiffed on three tackles, failed to wrap up on two more, got trucked once, celebrated as if he had just made a game-changing play after merely making a tackle 15 yards downfield three times, got beat in coverage 5 times, and lost a footrace to a 265 pound tight end.

He's more of a sheep in wolves' clothing than he is any sort of real beast on the field. Of course, if you're in to bodybuilding or mens' physiques then maybe he is a beast in those respects. I'm not the best judge of that, though.

You'll probably like him plenty at first but as time goes on his antics and failings will wear on you - provided he stays healthy.

No offense but maybe he wasn't with the right teams yet or coaching. I think he will do well under pagano.

No offense but maybe he wasn't with the right teams yet or coaching. I think he will do well under pagano.

Possible... but I think Gregg Williams was basically the perfect coach for the guy.  The Skins certainly weren't very good when he was here but our defense was relatively strong during that time period.

I believe Pagano coached LaRon's brother for a few years and he did okay in Baltimore (they still moved on from him, of course).  I don't know that LaRon represents much of an upgrade over his brother, though, aside from being a little more athletic.  If it's going to work out for you guys he's going to have to be a Robin to someone else's Batman.  Maybe Bethea can be that guy.

Either way, all I'm really saying here is temper your expectations.  Landry's one of those guys whose potential on paper is really exciting but his athleticism and mentality just doesn't quite measure up to what's on paper.

Possible... but I think Gregg Williams was basically the perfect coach for the guy. The Skins certainly weren't very good when he was here but our defense was relatively strong during that time period.

I believe Pagano coached LaRon's brother for a few years and he did okay in Baltimore (they still moved on from him, of course). I don't know that LaRon represents much of an upgrade over his brother, though, aside from being a little more athletic. If it's going to work out for you guys he's going to have to be a Robin to someone else's Batman. Maybe Bethea can be that guy.

Either way, all I'm really saying here is temper your expectations. Landry's one of those guys whose potential on paper is really exciting but his athleticism and mentality just doesn't quite measure up to what's on paper.

Ahh yes, Gregg "Mr. Bounty" Williams

So how is it that he leaves the Redskins & goes to the Jets..... then gets selected to his 1st PB (I do believe)? So was Gregg Williams really the "right guy" to coach Landry? I doubt it. Another Pro Bowl year for Landry is coming this year

Ahh yes, Gregg "Mr. Bounty" Williams

So how is it that he leaves the Redskins & goes to the Jets..... then gets selected to his 1st PB (I do believe)? So was Gregg Williams really the "right guy" to coach Landry? I doubt it. Another Pro Bowl year for Landry is coming this year

He was selected for the Pro Bowl twice with the Redskins.

Possible... but I think Gregg Williams was basically the perfect coach for the guy.  The Skins certainly weren't very good when he was here but our defense was relatively strong during that time period.

I believe Pagano coached LaRon's brother for a few years and he did okay in Baltimore (they still moved on from him, of course).  I don't know that LaRon represents much of an upgrade over his brother, though, aside from being a little more athletic.  If it's going to work out for you guys he's going to have to be a Robin to someone else's Batman.  Maybe Bethea can be that guy.

Either way, all I'm really saying here is temper your expectations.  Landry's one of those guys whose potential on paper is really exciting but his athleticism and mentality just doesn't quite measure up to what's on paper.

Lol I like the "scrapping" of the avatar lmao

Ahh so I was wrong then. But he still had a great year with the Jets. And he stayed healthy all the way through

Yep. It was his first time doing so since 2008 if I'm not mistaken so we will see if he can hold up again this year.

Lol I like the "scrapping" of the avatar lmao

They raised a good point... why keep the tongue-in-cheek avatar I've been using since the 2012 draft when I have so much source material for awesome actual Robert Griffin NFL moments? ;)

Where are you getting that from? His wiki only says 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaRon_Landry

Yep, never made it to the Pro Bowl as a Redskin but was an alternate (read as: narrowly lost the popularity contest vote) twice.  The real key for me is production, anyway.  Landry's production with the Jets wasn't that much greater than what he typically did with the Skins and it pales in comparison to the pace he was on with us in 2010.

He'll get you tackles and he'll make flashy plays... but they come with a lot of interspersed mistakes.

They raised a good point... why keep the tongue-in-cheek avatar I've been using since the 2012 draft when I have so much source material for awesome actual Robert Griffin NFL moments? ;)

Exactly haha. So many good real choices to choose from, no need for the Lombardi. Not yet, anyway. ;)

" His impressive rookie season earned him a 2007 Pro Bowl alternate selection and was selected to the 2007 NFL All-Rookie Defensive Team."

So he didn't go to two pro-bowls with Washington, he was selected as an alternate to a Pro-Bowl he didn't participate in.

Yep, never made it to the Pro Bowl as a Redskin but was an alternate (read as: narrowly lost the popularity contest vote) twice. The real key for me is production, anyway. Landry's production with the Jets wasn't that much greater than what he typically did with the Skins and it pales in comparison to the pace he was on with us in 2010.

He'll get you tackles and he'll make flashy plays... but they come with a lot of interspersed mistakes.

But you're not seeing the difference between your franchise & ours. We're way more disciplined than the Redskins & the Jets. Pagano & Manusky are gonna be on Landry all season about going for big hits as opposed to wrapping up and still making a big hit. You'll see just watch us a few times this year when RG3 isn't playing. Maybe catch a glimpse when you guys have your bye week or something

So he didn't go to two pro-bowls with Washington, he was selected as an alternate to a Pro-Bowl he didn't participate in.

Yeah I see, my mistake, I edited my first post on the matter to alert others about my mistake.

But you're not seeing the difference between your franchise & ours. We're way more disciplined than the Redskins & the Jets. Pagano & Manusky are gonna be on Landry all season about going for big hits as opposed to wrapping up and still making a big hit. You'll see just watch us a few times this year when RG3 isn't playing. Maybe catch a glimpse when you guys have your bye week or something

Do you know why Landry isn't here anymore?  We were actually interested in retaining him at one time under this coaching staff.

He didn't respond very well to discipline.  He's an immature, me-first kind of guy whose attitude made it easy for us to let him walk.

Do you know why Landry isn't here anymore? We were actually interested in retaining him at one time under this coaching staff.

He didn't respond very well to discipline. He's an immature, me-first kind of guy whose attitude made it easy for us to let him walk.

He'll do fine here just watch

" His impressive rookie season earned him a 2007 Pro Bowl alternate selection and was selected to the 2007 NFL All-Rookie Defensive Team."

Edit: Oh my bad so he was just selected as an alternate and didn't play in it. My mistake.

Your mistake just proves my point even more Qwiz haha

Once he left the skins, he got better. Made his first actual pro bowl and everything :D Thanks for the mistake haha

Do you know why Landry isn't here anymore?  We were actually interested in retaining him at one time under this coaching staff.

He didn't respond very well to discipline.  He's an immature, me-first kind of guy whose attitude made it easy for us to let him walk.

Yeah, this is a quote from Landry on Rex Ryan's comments that he should change the way he plays: “I’m going to continue to play the way I play,” Landry told the Record. “I have to critique myself and try not to put myself in a position like that again. . . . I have to get a little smarter and use the right judgment.”

Once he left the skins, he got better. Made his first actual pro bowl and everything :D Thanks for the mistake haha

Yeah, I make at least one every 12 months. I was due for this one, now I won't have to worry till next spring. haha He probably would have had a Pro Bowl season in 2010 with the Redskins if not for an injury lol. He still does have attitude issues and is a stubborn player, but we will see how he does in a few months. :thmup:

He'll do fine here just watch

Maybe.  Depends on your standards.  If there's room for me to give the guy the benefit of the doubt it's that Landry could never escape the shadow of the man who spoiled all of us for three and a half seasons and it's probably not fair that he got held to that truly elite standard at times.

That said, I'm still very familiar with the guy.  He won't be a world beater and I can't emphasize enough that you shouldn't let yourself get too high on the guy.  However, he is a starting caliber player and he's easily an upgrade over Zbikowski.  If that's all you're really expecting then you should be happy enough.

Yeah, this is a quote from Landry on Rex Ryan's comments that he should change the way he plays: “I’m going to continue to play the way I play,” Landry told the Record. “I have to critique myself and try not to put myself in a position like that again. . . . I have to get a little smarter and use the right judgment.”

I never saw that quote.  Not surprised by it at all, though.

As I said in one of these posts... his partial Skins 2010 season was better than his Jets season.  Played out of his mind that year (only to regress dramatically in 2011) but our coaching staff had him playing a somewhat limited LB-ish role.  Honestly, he'd probably make a better Monte Kiffin-era Tampa 2-style MLB than a safety.