Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts had a RB like Doug Martin or C.J. Spiller then the Great Vick Ballard would barely see the field...

jshipp23

All this nonsense about never drafting a RB IN THE 1ST is really irritating.... If you followed the NFL last year with any regularity you could see the impact 1st round RB's such as Martin aka "Muscle Hamster", and Spiller had on very bad teams and were the single reason those teams enjoyed any success whatsoever..People here act like Ballard is the next Walter Payton..Im not saying take a RB in the 1st round this year, but the theory that you never do and RB is obsolete is comical to me...AND NOW WE WAIT..lmao

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No just no. People don't act like Ballard is the next coming of Payton. He's a player who does his job. Nothing more nothing less. He's not going to wow you he's simply going to run the ball, pick up as much as he can, go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play.

They would have to look bonafide studly for me to take a RB first round.

Spiller and Martin both are...I liked Lacy for a long time and still wouldn't be sad if we took him, but I am starting to have doubts about how dedicated he is...Going by the Alabama games I watched of him and the film I watched I really liked him..Recent questions about his work ethic and mentality has put some doubt in my mind now...Spiller, Martin, and Richardson I would take all day, and I mention them as they are the most recent to compare..

They aren't in the draft this year.

The thread was made to question all these ridiculous posts I've seen about RB being obsolete and how you can get a GREAT back in the later rounds...It isn't likely and facts back this up all day...I like Ballard, I really do, but he is no All-Pro whatsoever and people seem to act like he is...Spiller and Martin can win you games by themselves and Ballard cannot.

I can see us adding a guy behind Ballard.  But at this point, RB is a position where many teams have been finding quality players outside of the 1st round.

I'd take Arian Foster every day over Spiller and Martin, and he was an UDFA.

Oh no,,,No way, you put Martin or Spiller behind that O-Line and forget about it they would be killing teams and approach 2,000 yards if they stayed healthy...Foster isn't that great in my opinion the line with 3-Pro Bowlers and Andre Johnson help him a lot as far as his production.

I had Spiller on my fantasy team his rookie year.  He never played and when he did, he didn't do much.  Ballard had a much better rookie year.

It took him a little while but when it clicked it was very scary....He was destroying teams last year at points and the Bills were criticized for not playing him and getting him the ball enough and he too was on a team with a terrible QB that was playing from behind a lot...If he was on a good team he'd be even more dangerous.

Oh no,,,No way, you put Martin or Spiller behind that O-Line and forget about it they would be killing teams and approach 2,000 yards if they stayed healthy...Foster isn't that great in my opinion the line with 3-Pro Bowlers and Andre Johnson help him a lot as far as his production.

Yeah I don't get the obsession with Foster. He's a great guy and a cool story, but he's far from the back Texan fans claim he is.

All this nonsense about never drafting a RB IN THE 1ST is really irritating.... If you followed the NFL last year with any regularity you could see the impact 1st round RB's such as Martin aka "Muscle Hamster", and Spiller had on very bad teams and were the single reason those teams enjoyed any success whatsoever..People here act like Ballard is the next Walter Payton..Im not saying take a RB in the 1st round this year, but the theory that you never do and RB is obsolete is comical to me...AND NOW WE WAIT..lmao

the bucs were 7-9 and the bills were 6-10.

the bucs were 7-9 and the bills were 6-10.

I was waiting for this 1...I stated they were on bad teams and were the only real threats these teams had...They were responsible for a lot of those wins, if not for their contributions the records would have been much much worse....

Lacy is no Martin or Spiller however, lacks alot of breakaway speed and wasn't asked to pass block much at all

I'm just not sure how bad he wants it. I think he has another gear for a man of his size and good vision and agility, and I like his production against NFL talent in the SEC all year...I'm not as high on him as I was, but if all the guys at G, OLB, ILB,DE,  are off the board and we don't trade back then I'm still ok with it because he is much better still than anybody we have had since Edge..I say this not knowing anything of him personally or how his interviews went or his work ethic really...Colts won't take him if he seems to have a bad mentality anyways. If he is a lazy bum then I don't want him, but I have no way of knowing that.

Spiller and Martin both are...I liked Lacy for a long time and still wouldn't be sad if we took him, but I am starting to have doubts about how dedicated he is...Going by the Alabama games I watched of him and the film I watched I really liked him..Recent questions about his work ethic and mentality has put some doubt in my mind now...Spiller, Martin, and Richardson I would take all day, and I mention them as they are the most recent to compare..

There isn't a RB in this years draft that I would see us use a pick on.

Too many other needs.

I was waiting for this 1...I stated they were on bad teams and were the only real threats these teams had...They were responsible for a lot of those wins, if not for their contributions the records would have been much much worse....

Only threats? Stevie Johnson on the Bills isn't threat?

And if Spiller is such a "threat" why doesn't he start? He didn't start until Fred got injured

Only threats? Stevie Johnson on the Bills isn't threat?

And if Spiller is such a "threat" why doesn't he start? He didn't start until Fred got injured

Man...No one could figure that out including the Buffalo fans, and the fans and media killed the coach for it... You really just said Stevie Johnson?? He is highly overrated and makes Avery's hands look good.

You guys remember Cadillac Williams?

Me neither.

Should I name all the great running backs drafted in the 6th??? lmao...This is my point..Actually Cadillac had a couple good years before injuries. Backs get hurt which is even more of a reason and argument to have 2 good backs. Remember Mike Hart? Ran Carthon? Chad Simpson? James Mungro? We just find great backs in the late rounds or undrafted all the time.

Should I name all the great running backs drafted in the 6th??? lmao...This is my point..Actually Cadillac had a couple good years before injuries. Backs get hurt which is even more of a reason and argument to have 2 good backs. Remember Mike Hart? Ran Carthon? Chad Simpson? James Mungro? We just find great backs in the late rounds or undrafted all the time.

Thank you. This is exactly why you don't take a running back high in the draft. Short shelf life.

The thread was made to question all these ridiculous posts I've seen about RB being obsolete and how you can get a GREAT back in the later rounds...It isn't likely and facts back this up all day...I like Ballard, I really do, but he is no All-Pro whatsoever and people seem to act like he is...Spiller and Martin can win you games by themselves and Ballard cannot.

Peterson, on a really really good day, might be able to win you a game on his own, but no other RB in the league gives you that, you need to wake up and realize this.

That being said I don't believe an RB should never go in the first, especially late in the first when plenty of teams don't have many, if any holes. But they do need to be studs, I don't see that this year, you clearly do, fair enough.

I think we will draft an RB (but not in the first) because our ground game will be an integral part of our offense as it is with all the top team, bar maybe Green Bay. But a great ground game does not equate to needing an elite RB. I care much more about player that are scheme fits, if we get an RB he should be a pounder.

If we are modeling our defense on the Ravens, I think we should model our offense and the Patriots, because I believe we have all the pieces to do so. Patriots had a very effective running game last year without an elite RB, but a really good rotation. Patriots are the ultimate team at using their versatility to create mismatches, and I love the thought of us doing the same.

Dom was an UDFA & he worked out pretty well for the Colts...

SMH...waiting for this 1 too...People like to point out the few times that it does happen , it is very rare..You can get a solid back or a good back but no one of a Spiller or Martin caliber as examples..This includes Foster, Rhodes, Morris, and Ballard...They are not the same caliber at all...Anyone with eyes who actually watches games can see this...I think many fans just repeat and Parrot what other people say and base it on no opinion of their own...We have a very fairweather fanbase here still unfortunately.