Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex Colt GM says Elway was being traded to Raiders not Broncos for 3 No. 1 picks & 2 No.2s.Colts were to draft Marinio but Pete Rosell Voided the trade

bayone

Ernie Accorsi, then the GM of the Colts, now the Giants' GM, confirmed a deal was in place with the Raiders that would have netted Baltimore an unprecedented three No. 1 picks and two No. 2s.

One of the No. 1s, Accorsi said, would have been the sixth overall, which the Raiders had arranged to acquire from the Bears.

Yeah, it's never been written, but I was going to make the deal only if it included getting back a top 10 pick," Accorsi said. "I wanted to make sure we still got (Hall of Fame quarterback) Dan Marino. I wasn't going to trade Elway for anything less than the best package ever."

Pete Rozelle voided the trade," former Raiders personnel man Ron Wolf told The Star-Ledger last week. "We had the trade set up with Baltimore, but Pete wouldn't let it happen."

Rozelle and Raiders owner Davis spent many years in the 1980s in courtrooms over the Raiders' move from Oakland to Los Angeles, among other issues. Simply put, the two didn't like each other.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4/11/4207660/what-if-john-elway-to-the-raiders

What's the consensus opinion on something like this?  Should a commissioner be allowed to veto trades like this?  Personally, I don't like it.  I understand that the commish probably wants equality among the teams and doesn't want one team to be completely stacked, but shouldn't teams be allowed to do as they wish?

What's the consensus opinion on something like this?  Should a commissioner be allowed to veto trades like this?  Personally, I don't like it.  I understand that the commish probably wants equality among the teams and doesn't want one team to be completely stacked, but shouldn't teams be allowed to do as they wish?

I agree....I really don't think it's anyone's business, including the commisioner, so long as the two teams agree to the terms.  

The Colts received Chris Hinton and Mark Herrmann.....along with the gate receipts for 2 pre-season games in Denver. All Accorsi wanted was time. He knew full well Elway wasn't going to Double A. It was always reported he didn't want to play in Baltimore, when it was actually he didn't want to play for Frank Kush. Also, once Carroll Rosenbloom switched franchises in 1972, Rozelle didn't care about Baltimore. His successor showed even more disdain by passing over the city for Jacksonville. He wouldn't listen to the Colts band at the Hall of Fame and basically told Baltimore to pound salt.Tagliabue also treated Unitas like garbage. Not recognizing Unitas' death around the league, while glorifying Jim Brown was a disgrace.

Sorry for the ramble ( and I'm not from Baltimore) but Tagliabue is, was and always will be Rozelle's caddy.

Wasn't this before Free Agency? 

Not sure how that may have affected the veto, but thought I'd throw that out there for people to consider. 

Sounds like dirty pol to me. Politics. Thanks Rozelle. 

All this is water under the bridge. We, as Indianapolis Colts fans, had to earn our stripes by proving we would stick with our team through tough times, and tough times were aplenty. In the end, if Rozelle doesn't block this trade, likely we don't have that beautiful Manning era. 

Not sure how that may have affected the veto, but thought I'd throw that out there for people to consider. 

All this is water under the bridge. We, as Indianapolis Colts fans, had to earn our stripes by proving we would stick with our team through tough times, and tough times were aplenty. In the end, if Rozelle doesn't block this trade, likely we don't have that beautiful Manning era. 

yeah manning & marino were both in the league simultaneously in 98 & 99. seeing where we are now, i'm glad it went the way it did

The Colts received Chris Hinton and Mark Herrmann.....along with the gate receipts for 2 pre-season games in Denver. All Accorsi wanted was time. He knew full well Elway wasn't going to Double A. It was always reported he didn't want to play in Baltimore, when it was actually he didn't want to play for Frank Kush. Also, once Carroll Rosenbloom switched franchises in 1972, Rozelle didn't care about Baltimore. His successor showed even more disdain by passing over the city for Jacksonville. He wouldn't listen to the Colts band at the Hall of Fame and basically told Baltimore to pound salt.Tagliabue also treated Unitas like garbage. Not recognizing Unitas' death around the league, while glorifying Jim Brown was a disgrace.

Sorry for the ramble ( and I'm not from Baltimore) but Tagliabue is, was and always will be Rozelle's caddy.

Totally true. Rozelle and Taglibue were no friends of Baltimore. Taglibue was in Redskin's owner Jack Kent Cooke's back pocket, which is why Baltimore was passed over for Jacksonville and Charlotte. Both of these clowns are despised in Baltimore to this day, as is Elway.

If this story from Accorsi is true, it really killed the Colts, because that deal would have been far more equitable than the ridiculous deal Bob Irsay pulled off with Denver. Irsay panicked, despite Accorsi telling him over and over again that Elway was bluffing. I know alot of you guys totally blame Baltimore for the Colts moving, but you had to be there to see how bad of an owner Bob Irsay was. I remember he gave Tony Linhart $10,000 dollars after he missed a critical field goal for '"trying," then didn't give him the money. He fired and rehired Ted Marchibroda and Joe Thomas a million times, but the Elway fiasco was the worst. The best was when he called a press conference at old BWI airport with then Baltimore Mayor Schaeffer, after he was shopping the team around to Phoenix, and then asked reporters what they were doing there. He could barely open the door coming in, and had slurred speech. Speculation was he had a few too many screwdrivers on the private jet.

Except for the three Division title teams in 1975, 76, and 77, it was probably one of the worst chapters in Baltimore football history. Rozelle and Taglibue certainly contributed to the pain during and after the move, by not getting Baltimore a franchise sooner. Had those two lunkheads done the right thing, the whole Browns debacle would never have occured either. Just think, all of this stems from a wierd franchise swap in 1972 between the Los Angeles Rams and the Baltimore Colts. Very surreal .

I believe Indy attendance figures were down during the Bob Irsay years before Jimmy took over. I've often wondered that had Bob still been alive, would the Colts have moved to Los Angelos ? Bob Irsay had a knack for killing attendance, and had he starting shopping the team around like he did in Baltimore, I wonder how the Indy fans would have reacted. I guess the beautiful Manning era beats the heck out of the Art Schlister/ Mike Pagel era. LOL

yeah manning & marino were both in the league simultaneously in 98 & 99. seeing where we are now, i'm glad it went the way it did

yes this is the rub in all of this . . . if you had Marino would not of been in a position to draft Manning  . . . . no way is a team with Marino is going 3-13, even at the end of his career . . . 

yes this is the rub in all of this . . . if you had Marino would not of been in a position to draft Manning  . . . . no way is a team with Marino is going 3-13, even at the end of his career . . . 

Maybe a SB win or two as well.

Very interesting thread. Thank you! Especially after all the drivel that's been posted lately.

u r quite welcome, and nice to see a thank you instead of some of the wild comments to  various postings  that  take a turn & just rehash  things Re Peyton from many other topics

Often seems like no matter what is posted as main topic, many comments revert to same  / similar ones from past threads 

All I know is if Rozelle voided this deal....then I'm surprised the Hershel Walker trade didn't give him a massive heart attack.

Ironically that "mother of all trades" went down less than 30 days before Rozelle stepped down as NFL commissioner in November 1989.

Pete Rozelle did a lot of good things for the NFL....but blocking Accorsi's deal wasn't one of them.

All I know is if Rozelle voided this deal....then I'm surprised the Hershel Walker trade didn't give him a massive heart attack.

Ironically that "mother of all trades" went down less than 30 days before Rozelle stepped down as NFL commissioner in November 1989.

Pete Rozelle did a lot of good things for the NFL....but blocking Accorsi's deal wasn't one of them.

I thought the mother of all trades title was held by Mike Ditka and the Ricky Waters "trade" lol

Ernie Accorsi, then the GM of the Colts, now the Giants' GM, confirmed a deal was in place with the Raiders that would have netted Baltimore an unprecedented three No. 1 picks and two No. 2s.

One of the No. 1s, Accorsi said, would have been the sixth overall, which the Raiders had arranged to acquire from the Bears.

Yeah, it's never been written, but I was going to make the deal only if it included getting back a top 10 pick," Accorsi said. "I wanted to make sure we still got (Hall of Fame quarterback) Dan Marino. I wasn't going to trade Elway for anything less than the best package ever."

Pete Rozelle voided the trade," former Raiders personnel man Ron Wolf told The Star-Ledger last week. "We had the trade set up with Baltimore, but Pete wouldn't let it happen."

Rozelle and Raiders owner Davis spent many years in the 1980s in courtrooms over the Raiders' move from Oakland to Los Angeles, among other issues. Simply put, the two didn't like each other.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4/11/4207660/what-if-john-elway-to-the-raiders

I remember that and have hated Elway ever since he held out

Sorry for the ramble ( and I'm not from Baltimore) but Tagliabue is, was and always will be Rozelle's caddy.Arcosi was smart and was going to wait Elway out But Irsay messed it up

People need to ask themselves, Had Marino been drafted to the Colts, would the Colts now reside in Indy? I for one dont think they would. Hated that Commish, but have to thank him for sticking his nose where it really didnt belong.

Saw that ESPN draft special , " From Elway to Marino." Even though I already can't stand him, I was even shocked by the arrogance displayed by Elway, and his father, in those old clips. I dare anyone to watch this objectively, except for Denver fans, and tell me this guy and his father weren't jerks. I know Bob Irsay was a horrible owner, and the father didn't like Kush, but be a man . I wish Irsay would have called his bluff and let that goof play for the double A Yankees for four years. Elway is in my Hall of Shame to be sure.

I believe Indy attendance figures were down during the Bob Irsay years before Jimmy took over. I've often wondered that had Bob still been alive, would the Colts have moved to Los Angelos ? Bob Irsay had a knack for killing attendance, and had he starting shopping the team around like he did in Baltimore, I wonder how the Indy fans would have reacted. I guess the beautiful Manning era beats the heck out of the Art Schlister/ Mike Pagel era. LOL

You think his son doesn't have the same knack? There is no longer a waiting list for season's tickets after the way "Jimmy" handled the Manning situation. I get calls all of the time trying to get me to purchase season tickets again. That ain't gonna happen...

Peyton would have gone to the Chargers or Bears depending on if San Diego liked him more than Leaf.

This is most likely the case. Imagine, Marino saves the Colts from moving. San Deigo has the #1 and Chicago has the #2. Chargers pick Leaf first. haha Peyton still becomes a legend in the Midwest.

Elway wisks Peyton into the black hole. Except Peyton starts to make the black hole stop swallowing it's own player, but other teams. The current Colts QB would be Ryan Tannehill. Luck a Bear.

Peyton wins Super Bowl XLI over the Patriots in rainy Miami. Aaron Rodgers doesn't get a Super Bowl because this time the Bears QB doesn't bow out of the '10 NFC Championship.