Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here is 100% Proof Why You Take A RB In The 1st or 2nd Round If You Want An Impact Back!

jshipp23

• I have heard so many posters saying how it is a waste to take a RB in the 1st round, and you can get a good back in the later rounds...I like to base my opinions on facts so I decided to look into that....I looked at the 100 greatest backs based on stats and where they were drafted and then looked into the backs of the modern era which is what is relevant....                                                                                                          ROUND 1 or 2 RUNNING BACKS- Adrian Peterson, Willis McGahee, Deuce McAllister, Maurice Jones Drew, Larry Johnson, Robert Smith, Clinton Portis, Herschel Walker, Tiki Barber, Thomas Jones, Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Steven Jackson, Warrick Dunn, Shaun Alexander, Eddie George, Ricky Watters, Fred Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, Chris Johnson, Bo Jackson, Thurman Thomas, Jerome Bettis, La Danian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, Emmitt Smith, and Barry Sanders...                                                                                                                  ROUND 3 OR LATER-Jamal Anderson, Michael Turner, FranK Gore, Priest Holmes, and Terrell Davis.                                                                                  NOW THIS IS AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE AS THESE ARE THE GREATEST RUNNING BACKS OF THE MODERN ERA STATISTICALLY AND THEIR IS NO WAY TO ARGUE AGAINST IT...THIS IS WHY IT'S NOT BAD IF WE TAKE LACY, AND ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING YOU CAN JUST FIND A GREAT RB IN LATER ROUNDS ARE MISINFORMED....NUMBER'S DON'T LIE....

Edited by jshipp23

The NFL has changed, it is a passing league now. Pass protection and an RB being on the field for all 3 downs matter more for an RB being chosen in round 1, especially later in round 1. If he is a special talent like AD, Trent Richardson etc. at top of round 1, it makes sense, they will make it work regardless of O-line abilities or prowess.

Addai was chosen for his pass protection abilities justifying him playing all 3 downs. MJD stays on the field for all 3 downs. Ever since the pass favored rules have been implemented (around 2005), I would like to see the productivity of round 1 or 2 backs drafted since then. Giving all those round 1 or round 2 backs from the past does not mean much to me.

• I have heard so many posters saying how it is a waste to take a RB in the 1st round, and you can get a good back in the later rounds...I like to base my opinions on facts so I decided to look into that....I looked at the 100 greatest backs based on stats and where they were drafted and then looked into the backs of the modern era which is what is relevant....                                                                                                          ROUND 1 or 2 RUNNING BACKS- Adrian Peterson, Willis McGahee, Deuce McAllister, Maurice Jones Drew, Larry Johnson, Robert Smith, Clinton Portis, Herschel Walker, Tiki Barber, Thomas Jones, Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Steven Jackson, Warrick Dunn, Shaun Alexander, Eddie George, Ricky Watters, Fred Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, Chris Johnson, Bo Jackson, Thurman Thomas, Jerome Bettis, La Danian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, Emmitt Smith, and Barry Sanders...                                                                                                                  ROUND 3 OR LATER-Jamal Anderson, Michael Turner, FranK Gore, Priest Holmes, and Terrell Davis.                                                                                  NOW THIS IS AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE AS THESE ARE THE GREATEST RUNNING BACKS OF THE MODERN ERA STATISTICALLY AND THEIR IS NO WAY TO ARGUE AGAINST IT...THIS IS WHY IT'S NOT BAD IF WE TAKE LACY, AND ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING YOU CAN JUST FIND A GREAT RB IN LATER ROUNDS ARE MISINFORMED....NUMBER'S DON'T LIE....

Of all the 1st or 2nd rders. you listed...only 4 are relevant to the game today.(A.P., MJD, Steven Jackson, and Chris Johnson) the rest  played in a different era and the game has changed bigtime now. I've heard more than a few GM's on ESPN or NFL network all say that drafting RB's early in the draft is a thing of the past unless the talent really jumps out to everybody. Sure their will always be GM's that disagree, but the majority think RB's are a very low value pick anymore and it's better to have a RB by committee instead of a feature back.

I'll add too, that RB's only have an average of a 2 yr. career average. Now that takes into account every RB that has ever played, but the point is...RB's are extremely injury prone and unreliable, therefore teams do not want to invest big money or early picks on them.

Of all the 1st or 2nd rders. you listed...only 4 are relevant to the game today.(A.P., MJD, Steven Jackson, and Chris Johnson) the rest  played in a different era and the game has changed bigtime now. I've heard more than a few GM's on ESPN or NFL network all say that drafting RB's early in the draft is a thing of the past unless the talent really jumps out to everybody. Sure their will always be GM's that disagree, but the majority think RB's are a very low value pick anymore and it's better to have a RB by committee instead of a feature back.

I'll add too, that RB's only have an average of a 2 yr. career average. Now that takes into account every RB that has ever played, but the point is...RB's are extremely injury prone and unreliable, therefore teams do not want to invest big money or early picks on them.

You make good points and I understand what you are saying...A first round running back is still a 1st round RB IMO, and all those backs would have similar impacts today and most are relatively modern backs..I guess it boils down to if you think Lacy is that type of talent which I do or I wouldn't want to draft him in the 1st if Cooper is not there..I also think Doug Martin who was a 1st rounder last year will also prove to be elite and worthy of his pick..If you don't like Lacy I respect your opinion and just disagree on his talent...I've watched all the backs coming out a lot in recent weeks and Lacy is different IMO...Kevin Randle is the next best thing if you want an impact RB...Your point of backs getting injured makes it imperative to have 2, 3-tool backs on the roster and Ballard is all we got...Wouldn't you feel much better with a Lacy-Ballard combo than a Ballard-Brown combo??? People talk about we need to be able to run the ball and go O-line and we have already reasonably upgraded the line and a very good young back can help the running game just as much as a guard...There is a difference betwwen a back that can give you 70-100 yds and a back that has 200 yd potential any given Sunday and makes your offense so much harder to stop.

you got guys like arian foster who went undrafted become stars. you dont go broke at a position that last 8-9 years unless you cant pass

:thmup: .... :lombardi:  goes to coltsrule91, for the best, and most accurate comment on this thread...everyone else who logs in, can just like this comment, without wasting time like i did posting a response. Adrian Foster's success destroys this entire thread for RB's, and Kurt Warner does it for QB's....

:thmup: .... :lombardi:  goes to coltsrule91, for the best, and most accurate comment on this thread...everyone else who logs in, can just like this comment, without wasting time like i did posting a response. Adrian Foster's success destroys this entire thread for RB's, and Kurt Warner does it for QB's....

While it's possible to get a GREAT back in later rounds , odds are against you as I showed you the difference between the amount of late round backs and top 2 round backs..So how does 1 back selected in later rounds who has 3 pro Bowl O-linemen and Andre Johnson to take the top off the defense destroy the point...Alfred Morris too, had a great line and the advantage of the read option were defenses couldn't key on him because of the threat of Bob Griffin 111 keeping it and running it himself...Personally I like Ballard better than Morris all day he just ran behind a bad line, he has a lot of heart and I like him, but Lacy would start over him day 1...That would be a great combo though and they are completely different yet both are 3-tool backs. This would allow us to keep them both fresh and an injury to 1 wouldn't put our fate in the hands of Donald Brown who I hope we somehow can just trade...He is pathetic in every sense of the word.

You make good points and I understand what you are saying...A first round running back is still a 1st round RB IMO, and all those backs would have similar impacts today and most are relatively modern backs..I guess it boils down to if you think Lacy is that type of talent which I do or I wouldn't want to draft him in the 1st if Cooper is not there..I also think Doug Martin who was a 1st rounder last year will also prove to be elite and worthy of his pick..If you don't like Lacy I respect your opinion and just disagree on his talent...I've watched all the backs coming out a lot in recent weeks and Lacy is different IMO...Kevin Randle is the next best thing if you want an impact RB...Your point of backs getting injured makes it imperative to have 2, 3-tool backs on the roster and Ballard is all we got...Wouldn't you feel much better with a Lacy-Ballard combo than a Ballard-Brown combo??? People talk about we need to be able to run the ball and go O-line and we have already reasonably upgraded the line and a very good young back can help the running game just as much as a guard...There is a difference betwwen a back that can give you 70-100 yds and a back that has 200 yd potential any given Sunday and makes your offense so much harder to stop.

Honestly, what would make me feel much better about our running game is a mauler RG.  I've just seen so many late rd. RB's be successful with good o-line's blocking for them. Am I sold on Donald Brown? No, absolutely not, but I do give him the benefit of the doubt of having one of the worst run blocking line's in the NFL since he's been in the league. I think the guy has talent and could succeed with a good run blocking line in front of him. It's hard to judge the talent of a guy that can barely get the ball in his hands before he's getting hit from every direction from the defense. IMO, I would just wait and draft a guy later if the team feels they need to add a RB, but if it were up to me, I wouldn't add one at all this yr., but that's just me.

While it's possible to get a GREAT back in later rounds , odds are against you as I showed you the difference between the amount of late round backs and top 2 round backs..So how does 1 back selected in later rounds who has 3 pro Bowl O-linemen and Andre Johnson to take the top off the defense destroy the point...Alfred Morris too, had a great line and the advantage of the read option were defenses couldn't key on him because of the threat of Bob Griffin 111 keeping it and running it himself...Personally I like Ballard better than Morris all day he just ran behind a bad line, he has a lot of heart and I like him, but Lacy would start over him day 1...That would be a great combo though and they are completely different yet both are 3-tool backs. This would allow us to keep them both fresh and an injury to 1 wouldn't put our fate in the hands of Donald Brown who I hope we somehow can just trade...He is pathetic in every sense of the word.

Are you listening to yourself, young padawan, young jedi. The title of your thread says - "Here's is %100 Proof Why You Take A RB In The 1st and 2nd Round If You Want An Impact Back!"......The Colts drafted Donald Brown in 2009, in the FIRST ROUND of the 2009 NFL draft, @ pick #27, but keeps racking up injuries. Arian Foster went undrafted in 2009, and has already been to 3 Pro Bowls, made the All-Pro teams twice, and lead the league in rushing 2010. You have to do your homework, before you make these kind of posts. AF was signed, not drafted, in the same year as Donald Brown...this thread is done, unless you just want to make friends, which is fine by me.... :highfive2::thmup:

Honestly, what would make me feel much better about our running game is a mauler RG.  I've just seen so many late rd. RB's be successful with good o-line's blocking for them. Am I sold on Donald Brown? No, absolutely not, but I do give him the benefit of the doubt of having one of the worst run blocking line's in the NFL since he's been in the league. I think the guy has talent and could succeed with a good run blocking line in front of him. It's hard to judge the talent of a guy that can barely get the ball in his hands before he's getting hit from every direction from the defense. IMO, I would just wait and draft a guy later if the team feels they need to add a RB, but if it were up to me, I wouldn't add one at all this yr., but that's just me.

That way could work too, I'm not against getting a good guard if one is there...I still think we need another option other than Brown at this point, he can still be a weapon because of his speed if they can get him in space, but not reliable whatsoever and I just don't think he is made to go between the tackles...I really like Lacy, but I like Randle, Gillislee, Barner, Taylor , and Ball  too. I was just making a point of why I think Lacy would be worthy of the pick...Would not mind a G, Olb,De, or even WR at this pick either..

Here are a few names.

Lawerence Maroney

Donald Brown

Jahvid Best

Knowshown Moreno

Mark Ingram

Dexter McCluster

Toby Gerhart

Montario Hardesty

The point is I looked into who were statistically the best of all time and where they were drafted....And overwhelmingly at RB, the greatest were 1st or 2nd Rd picks..Of course there are busts at every position and RB isn't excluded.

Another day....    another steaming pile of....   well...   you know....

First,  beyond the incredibly bad use of logic by the OP there is this....

There are 32 teams in the NFL....   currently,  14 of the 32 teams do not use a 1st or 2nd round RB.   They use a 3rd or lower.

So,  more than 40 percent of the NFL disagrees with our OP.    (I'm shocked, SHOCKED to learn that!)

And that's based on today....   this will change over a period of time....   but the NFL has spoken loud and clear and they respectfully disagree with the idea that there is 100% proof that you have to use a 1st or 2nd round back.

What can I tell you.......

:facepalm:           :slaphead:          :bored: 

Are you listening to yourself, young padawan, young jedi. The title of your thread says - "Here's is %100 Proof Why You Take A RB In The 1st and 2nd Round If You Want An Impact Back!"......The Colts drafted Donald Brown in 2009, in the FIRST ROUND of the 2009 NFL draft, @ pick #27, but keeps racking up injuries. Arian Foster went undrafted in 2009, and has already been to 3 Pro Bowls, made the All-Pro teams twice, and lead the league in rushing 2010. You have to do your homework, before you make these kind of posts. AF was signed, not drafted, in the same year as Donald Brown...this thread is done, unless you just want to make friends, which is fine by me.... :highfive2::thmup:

Thats 1 player with 3 pro bowl o-linemen and Andre Johnson taking the top off the defense...1 player...My point is the likelihood isn't great unless they r 1st or 2nd rounders and I did my homework..Most of the greatest ever were 1st or 2nd rd picks...

Another day....    another steaming pile of....   well...   you know....

First,  beyond the incredibly bad use of logic by the OP there is this....

There are 32 teams in the NFL....   currently,  14 of the 32 teams do not use a 1st or 2nd round RB.   They use a 3rd or lower.

So,  more than 40 percent of the NFL disagrees with our OP.    (I'm shocked, SHOCKED to learn that!)

And that's based on today....   this will change over a period of time....   but the NFL has spoken loud and clear and they respectfully disagree with the idea that there is 100% proof that you have to use a 1st or 2nd round back.

What can I tell you.......

:facepalm:           :slaphead:          :bored:

How many of those guys on the other teams are Pro-Bowlers or gamechangers which is my point??? They don't come around very often, but when they do it's usually in the 1st or 2nd as my list shows overwhelmingly...That is taken from the 100 greatest RB's statistically of all-time and  I only displayed the ones from the modern era..

That is taken from the 100 greatest RB's statistically of all-time and  I only displayed the ones from the modern era..

And that, my friend, is the point.    We're not doing an historical study....   we're looking at TODAY,  right now!!

Doesn't matter what was done outside of the current modern era...   the game has changed.    That's why you have more 5,000 yard per season passers and more 4,000 yard per season passers.

It's a pass first, run second NFL.    There are exceptions to every rule....

Doesn't matter what was done in the 90's or the 80's or the 70's.... or earlier...  it matters what has happened in the last 10 or so years, give or take...    that's what matters....

You're still trying way too hard.....

Brown if far from pathetic. He has never been properly used in my opinion. In hindsight, he shouldn't have been a first round pick. If he was picked in the 3rd, no one would be complaining all the time.

Donald Brown is not a between the tackles runner........especially when the OL is terrible. If you get him the ball in space he is very good. Get the ball to him in the flats, on screens, and on short wheels.....he makes things happen. I actually would like to see him re-signed as our 3rd back.......just at a reasonable contract.

Brown if far from pathetic. He has never been properly used in my opinion. In hindsight, he shouldn't have been a first round pick. If he was picked in the 3rd, no one would be complaining all the time.

Donald Brown is not a between the tackles runner........especially when the OL is terrible. If you get him the ball in space he is very good. Get the ball to him in the flats, on screens, and on short wheels.....he makes things happen. I actually would like to see him re-signed as our 3rd back.......just at a reasonable contract.

Agreed. People are too hard on Brown. He had the same YPC as Ballard did last year. He's fantastic in open space or when he hits the hole cleanly. He's not really the definition of an every-down back, but he's got weapons that if utilized properly help the team.

The most injury prone position in the NFL also witnesses the shortest careers of any position in the NFL. 

Not worth it unless it's a lead pipe lock type of guy.

I don't see Lacy as that guy. 

I'll take a pass on this. I really like our RB core, it's solid and has depth. 

We're taking a DB @ 24. 

The point of the title is to get your attention my friend...See the forest through the trees and don't take things so seriously.

Pushing this hard for Lacey is amusing to say the least especially when you consider there will be absolutely no chance he will be the BPA at 24

It's all for fun, their are others I would take ahead for sure...The point of the thread was to make an argument for Lacy...That doesn't mean I would take him.

The point is I looked into who were statistically the best of all time and where they were drafted....And overwhelmingly at RB, the greatest were 1st or 2nd Rd picks..Of course there are busts at every position and RB isn't excluded.

You do show that overwhelming the better RBs have come from the first or second round, but when you look at your list a majority of them our from a totally different era.  When guys like Emmitt or Bettis played the run was a much bigger part of the game and a lot of teams focused heavily on the run.  In today's game the running game has really diminished and the life expectancy of a RB in the NFL now is very very short.

How many RBs in the first round in the past five to ten years that were drafted in the first round really were worth the first round pick given the direction the league has taken.  Unless you are going to get someone like AD, Ray Rice or Shady McCoy you are better off using that pick on someone else.

To succeed in today's game you do not necessarily need a top tier RB.  If we can get our OL going a bit more this season our combo should be good enough.