Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reassessing the Colts' Needs.....

NewColtsFan

PK sometimes writes some random articles at times, and completely confusing at other times. But this is one if those few times where he seems fair. Though he probably could have been a bit more strict on his evaluations. I like to see detailed criticism over to much praise.

It's like rake adding reviews of a product. Vi go straight to all the bad ones first so I get an idea of what I may be getting into, so when all goes right, I'm happier.

I agree as well. I think G is the biggest glaring need. And OLB also. I actually think we are fine at CB for the time being with the re-signing of Butler and the FA signing of Toler and would possibly like a WR. If we can get a G and an athletic OLB and a WR that can watch Reggie and TY for a year or two, I would be happy.

Needs

1. G/C - Any chance Warmack/Cooper slides to 24? If he doesn't, is Barret Jones a good option for the O-line? If so, which pick would it be safe to snag him?

2. OLB/DE- If Walden doesn't produce, this is a deep draft at rush linebackers. Good value in later rounds. Brandon Jenkins from Fl. St. or Alex Okafor could both be a nice fit

3. CB- Darius Butler is phenomenal depth behind Toler and Davis, but with those two being injury prone, more depth would be nice. Maybe Jamar Taylor or Desmond Trufant if they slide to the third (unlikely though)

4. S- Depth behind the safties is in need of an upgrade. Zeke Motta could be a nice steal on the third day of the draft.

These are what I think, in my humble opinion, are the greatest needs for the Colts for 2013 season. Trading back into the 2nd round might give us more picks to get some more of the players I listed, since they might tend to slide in the draft with not many teams showing interest in them. 

At least this guy knows that rjf will be playing mostly end, unlike that silva guy who cursed this signing and kept calling rjf an undersized dt as if we were going to play him there.

Silva doesn't understand that our defensive starting line is DE, NT, DT

Excellent points. Barrett Jones will be there when we pick. Warmack will not and probably not Cooper. Agree totally on OLB. Jenkins and Okafor would be the athleticism we need--sorry about that Walden. Trufant as well at CB.

Okafor from Texas? How do you see him as a 3-4 OLB?

Okafor from Texas? How do you see him as a 3-4 OLB?

Here comes Gavin telling us that Okafor is the greatest player ever. I have watched film on Okafor and even the highlights(that are supposed to show players in a positive light) and nothing about him impresses me. He is slow, over pursue's on run plays and therefor takes himself out of the play(much like Freeney), can not shed blocks, and not a good coverage guy. I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd rd. because IMO he'll never be anything more than depth. 

Here comes Gavin telling us that Okafor is the greatest player ever. I have watched film on Okafor and even the highlights(that are supposed to show players in a positive light) and nothing about him impresses me. He is slow, over pursue's on run plays and therefor takes himself out of the play(much like Freeney), can not shed blocks, and not a good coverage guy. I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd rd. because IMO he'll never be anything more than depth.

Now we all know I'm the Texas Longhorn guy. And I agree with you. I see Okafor as a 4-3 DE like Julius Peppers. If he was to get faster & more disciplined, then he could be like Hughes & become a stand up 3-4 OLB

Needs

1. G/C - Any chance Warmack/Cooper slides to 24? If he doesn't, is Barret Jones a good option for the O-line? If so, which pick would it be safe to snag him?

I don't know where NFL teams have Barrett Jones slotted, but there's a fair chance he will start the season on PUP due to the foot injury. Maybe he drops a bit similar to Chapman last year if that's the case.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php#barrett

"Sources believe that the uncertainty about when Jones will be able to take the field is hurting teams' comfort with drafting him. Scouts said they believe that he could make it into the third round, but could easily be a fourth-round pick."

FWIW.

Needs

2. OLB/DE- If Walden doesn't produce, this is a deep draft at rush linebackers. Good value in later rounds. Brandon Jenkins from Fl. St. or Alex Okafor could both be a nice fit

3. CB- Darius Butler is phenomenal depth behind Toler and Davis, but with those two being injury prone, more depth would be nice. Maybe Jamar Taylor or Desmond Trufant if they slide to the third (unlikely though)

4. S- Depth behind the safties is in need of an upgrade. Zeke Motta could be a nice steal on the third day of the draft.

These are what I think, in my humble opinion, are the greatest needs for the Colts for 2013 season. Trading back into the 2nd round might give us more picks to get some more of the players I listed, since they might tend to slide in the draft with not many teams showing interest in them. 

Assuming our acquisitions along the defensive line pan out, and assuming guys like Chapman, McKinney and Moala are able to get on the field, I agree with your order of needs. I might add receiver somewhere in there, but I like where we are now with DHB.

Thanks!      Now you went and did it!!

You angered the Okafur Gods!!!

Here comes Gavin in 3....  2.....  1.....      :Nuke:        :hissy:        :Gaah:           :censored:         :explode:

I was on another Colts message board and a member there did some nice research on the 24th pick in past drafts.

Disclaimer: I did not write this, I thought it was good, and wanted to share it with others.

"With the 24th overall pick in the NFL draft, the [NFL team] selects:"

2012 = [PIT] David DeCastro, OG, Stanford (Injured in pre-season, only played last 4 games of season)

2011 = [NO] Cameron Jordan, DE, California (67 tackles, 8.0 sacks, 3 FF, 3 PD in 2012)

2010 = [DAL] Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State (92 rec, 1,382 yards, 12 TD in 2012)

2009 = [ATL] Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi (14 tackles, 0.0 sacks in 2012...oops. Vonte Davis taking one slot later. Clay Matthews taken 2 slots later.)

2008 = [TEN] Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina (1,243 yards rushing, 232 yards receiving, 6 TD in 2012)

2007 = [NE] Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami (FL) (7 tackles in 2012.....oops. Anthony Spencer taken 2 slots later.)

2006 = [CIN] Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina (57 tackles, 2 INT, 11 PD in 2012)

2005 = [GB] Aaron Rodgers, QB, California (4,395 passing yards, 39 TD, 8 INT, 108.0 QB Rating for 2012)

============

So, out of the past 8 selections with the # 24 slot in the NFL draft, we have:

3 "impact" or superior players (Aaron Rodgers, Chris Johnson, Dez Bryant)

2 solid to good NFL starters (Jonathan Joseph, Cameron Jordan)

2 misses (Brandon Meriweather, Peria Jerry)

1 injured person from 2012 (DeCastro whom I would draft IN A HEARTBEAT if an OG of his talent were available at # 24 this year in the draft.)

You can find some pretty darn good players at # 24.

Rome was not built in a day. We only have a 1st ,3rd ,4th, 6... which means we have 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks that could produce a starter. What positions can we get by with until next year where we have all our picks? We can get by without drafting a WR for now as well with ILB, CB, S, DE, and RB. Even G. OLB would be nice, but we don't depend on two rushing ends like we did when we ran a 4-3. Preasure can come from anywhere on a 3-4. In our division, stopping the run is the main concern, aka 5 sack Freeney is gone. So who do we draft? BPA period. Randy Moss dropped to number 19. Did the Vikings need a WR? Did they have other needs? Didn't matter. They picked Moss period.

IMO another outside linebacker is a MUST. Especially one that can rush the passer. Right now we have Mathis. That's it. Walden is a edge setter, and I'm not even gonna get started on Hughes. We are going to have major problems if Mathis is the only legitimate pass rusher we have. If he were to get hurt our defense will be royally screwed. 

The offensive line will take care of itself. I think they'll have a better chance at cohesion this year, and we've already upgraded at the position with Gosder and Thomas.

One thing that we've gotten worse at in this offseason is the pass rush. So I'll label OLB as our biggest concern, and that's saying it lightly. 

Needs:

OLB, OL(OG/C), CB