Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting a Middle Linebacker First Round?

It seems like we've addressed virtually ever need with at least a body who's an upgrade over what we had previously, but I'm not entirely sold yet on our Inside LB's. I think Freeman's definitely gonna lead us for a while there, but is the Angerer/Conner duo the solution for the second spot? They were taken to fit into our old Tampa 2 scheme, meant to be quick, small, and cover good. 3-4 MLB's need to be monster tackling machines, and maybe we could get a better one in the first round out of Arthur Brown or Manti Te'o, all things considered.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one thing to want a Middle Linebacker in the draft.

It's quite another to use a first round pick on one.    Why in the world would you want to??

You can find talent in rounds after the first.....

Saying it like that is basically stating that the first round is pointless. You can always find talent in the later rounds, but then what do you propose we should do in the first? And yes, I do believe that if possible, we should trade down for more picks unless someone falls.

Saying it like that is basically stating that the first round is pointless. You can always find talent in the later rounds, but then what do you propose we should do in the first? And yes, I do believe that if possible, we should trade down for more picks unless someone falls.

The NFL has turned a MLB, or an ILB in the 3-4 into a 2-down position.  So much passing and not as much running, and typically, most defenses take out their MLB/ILB for an extra Safety or Corner during passing downs.

So, why spend a first round pick on a 1 or 2-down player?    Unless that player is flat-out dominant, like Carolina's Luke Keukly (sp?)  you're wasting the pick.

As for our first round pick....   on the defensive side of the ball, I'd prefer someone who can rush the QB,  either a DE or an OLB. Or, I'll take a corner.    You can never have enough good corners.    On the offensive side of the ball, I'd take a quality lineman, or, short of that,  a WR, if you can find one that you think is special.

But, (and you may already know this)  I'm the lead proponent of trading down in this draft.   Trade down to the 2nd round and pick up more picks.    

I think it would work best with this particular draft.  

It seems like we've addressed virtually ever need with at least a body who's an upgrade over what we had previously, but I'm not entirely sold yet on our Inside LB's. I think Freeman's definitely gonna lead us for a while there, but is the Angerer/Conner duo the solution for the second spot? They were taken to fit into our old Tampa 2 scheme, meant to be quick, small, and cover good. 3-4 MLB's need to be monster tackling machines, and maybe we could get a better one in the first round out of Arthur Brown or Manti Te'o, all things considered.

Lets face it we could still go a number of directions in round 1. WR, G, S, CB, DL. I personally think that there will be a CB or S that we want more than a ILB. I think we can get an ILB in round 3 or 4 if they want to but right now Conner and Angerer are servicable on the inside. I totally agree that they are not suited for the 3-4 will move on after their contracts are  up. Angerer was and has always been a MIDDLE linebacker

It seems like we've addressed virtually ever need with at least a body who's an upgrade over what we had previously, but I'm not entirely sold yet on our Inside LB's.

I've considered it. And wouldn't have any problem if we went there with 24. But I'd rather go Oline. Regardless, I don't want Teo. Grigson seems set on high character guys....Teo doesn't fit the profile.

Edited by Coltssouth
Inappropriate

Even if Ogletree was available i wouldn't draft him i like Freeman and Conner as the starters. We need a #2 WR,LG, and CB more then LB.

What if you don't like any of the WR, G, CB available at 24? I wouldn't pass up a true impact player just to plug a hole.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, March 17, 2013 - Personal Shot
Hidden by Coltssouth, March 17, 2013 - Personal Shot

I've considered it. And wouldn't have any problem if we went there with 24. But I'd rather go Oline. Regardless, I don't want Teo. Grigson seems set on high character guys....Teo doesn't fit the profile...plus, he behaves homosexual.

So a guy gets duped on a relationship by a a couple of people(from what I am reading a very elaborate hoax) over the net he thought was going somewhere and he is suddenly not the best ILB in the draft (even though he is). Also he gets asked if he is gay and suddenly he is homosexual? Dude I know I have said some things on this forum that are out there but some of the stuff you say makes me consider if you may be one sad, lonely, miserable human being whos social challenged

I agree with those that say WR is now our biggest need. There is depth at the position in this draft class. I imagine DeAndre Hopkins or Quinton Patton would generate interest. They have good size, run good routes, and have good hands. They would also complement Hilton's speed well.

I could get on board with the Ogletree pick though. That guy has tremendous athleticism and just makes plays. I am kind of surprised we aren't looking to trade guys like Angerer and Drake Nevis. Although Nevis was injured, I would think a 4/3 team would be interested in trade a 5th rounder or so on them.

What if you don't like any of the WR, G, CB available at 24? I wouldn't pass up a true impact player just to plug a hole.

If we do by chance go WR I'd like to trade down into the 2nd and try to get an extra 3rd round pick and use that extra 3rd round pick on Da'Rick Rogers, Can catch passes over the middle, run block, can make difficult catches and tall 6'2"

Jon Bostic of Florida in the 3rd would be a good value, IMO, and he would fit our system because he has ample experience defending the pass and is big enough to play in the 3-4 in the middle. If we are going to draft an ILB, it has to be him in round 3, IMO.

It does no WR on our roster is a #2 WR and Grigson has already said that he doesn't like drafting guards high. With the FA signings and the loss of avery it's obvious were going WR in the 1st round. Some like it some don't but WR is the biggest need on the team. Wayne is 34 had a great year last year but we can't count on that type of year again, Luck needs a #1 WR and that WR can learn a lot from Wayne.

It does no WR on our roster is a #2 WR and Grigson has already said that he doesn't like drafting guards high. With the FA signings and the loss of avery it's obvious were going WR in the 1st round. Some like it some don't but WR is the biggest need on the team. Wayne is 34 had a great year last year but we can't count on that type of year again, Luck needs a #1 WR and that WR can learn a lot from Wayne.

It's obvious? Ok....

I've considered it. And wouldn't have any problem if we went there with 24. But I'd rather go Oline. Regardless, I don't want Teo. Grigson seems set on high character guys....Teo doesn't fit the profile.

So .. I take it you think Teo would be a bad locker room guy ?

Edited by Coltssouth
Edited quoted post