Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We still have about $5 mil. in dead cap space, most from Gary Brackett

chad72

it's surprising how far down that list Vontae Davis is

His contract is really inexpensive, he's still on his rookie deal.  It's just a 5 year 10.25 million dollar deal.  

However I guarantee that after this year is over he wants a raise.  

I still don't get why everyone thinks he was so great. 51 tackles, 1 sack, 3 int. but he was also beat alot and opposing qb's having a 95.3 or so passer rating against him. Butler was way better than him on this and puts Davis on par with Vaughn who has 66 tackles and 1 int. and a relatively close passer rating. So what's so great about Davis? He was good , but not great like some people are making him out to be.

I still don't get why everyone thinks he was so great. 51 tackles, 1 sack, 3 int. but he was also beat alot and opposing qb's having a 95.3 or so passer rating against him. Butler was way better than him on this and puts Davis on par with Vaughn who has 66 tackles and 1 int. and a relatively close passer rating. So what's so great about Davis? He was good , but not great like some people are making him out to be.

They both did well..I hesitate to debate our players against our players...'

Its not a level playing field (nobody threw at Davis after the 1st quarter of the playoff game) and its counter productive.

Both are our guys.

His contract is really inexpensive, he's still on his rookie deal.  It's just a 5 year 10.25 million dollar deal.  

However I guarantee that after this year is over he wants a raise.  

Losing Brackett's dead money next year will free up the cap space needed to resign Vantae.

Losing Brackett's dead money next year will free up the cap space needed to resign Vantae.

We have the cap space now.

In general, extending a player with a year left on his rookie deal is less expensive than signing a player who is a free agent. By that rationale, it would make sense to address Davis' contract at some point this season.

They both did well..I hesitate to debate our players against our players...'

Its not a level playing field (nobody threw at Davis after the 1st quarter of the playoff game) and its counter productive.

Both are our guys.

I was just simply pointing out that over the course if the season he did perform as well, to me, as he is being portrayed on this board. I also wanted to point out the hypocrisy if my meaning because Vaughn is getting torn apart and butler isn't getting as much credit as Davis. So I'm confused.

Few things to consider. Vaughn played more games. Davis was usually covering the other teams best WR. One important note. WR in this league are going to get their catches. Davis was very good at limiting the yards after the catch. He is also very good against the run. You also have to take into account the fact that our pass rush wasn't that good. I am not saying he was playing at a legendary level. However, towards the end of the season, he was playing very well. Teams limited amount of throws that went his direction.

Few things to consider. Vaughn played more games. Davis was usually covering the other teams best WR. One important note. WR in this league are going to get their catches. Davis was very good at limiting the yards after the catch. He is also very good against the run. You also have to take into account the fact that our pass rush wasn't that good. I am not saying he was playing at a legendary level. However, towards the end of the season, he was playing very well. Teams limited amount of throws that went his direction.

Fair enough, makes sense.

We have the cap space now.

In general, extending a player with a year left on his rookie deal is less expensive than signing a player who is a free agent. By that rationale, it would make sense to address Davis' contract at some point this season.

Absolutely agree! Better to take care of it early than let him have a great year and really pay for it if he happens to get to FA.

I didn't see Butler covering Calvin Johnson much.

Vontae was exceptional in the latter end of the season. Injuries and maybe adjustment to scheme took their toll early on, come the end of the year he was our best player of defense.

One more thing in relation to the QB rating... it is a very flawed measurement when talking about CBs. Some CBs cover their man so well that the QB rarely throws their way, and only do when it is a high-percentage catch. Asomugha at the Raiders very rarely got the ball thrown his way because he was either pressing the receivers to not fulfill their routes in time or he was just air-tight to them, but when the ball was thrown his way, the receiver usually caught it, because it was a well designed play. So a QB rating would never have been a fair reflection on Asomugha who was arguably the best press-man corner in the league at the time.

I can't speak for everyone (and I'm not sure that everyone thinks that but), I think the reason people are excited about Davis is a) he was a big name so people will see everything he does with blue colored glasses for at least 20 games (or he gets called out on a national televised game and then that one incident will be indicative of his play for the rest of his career).  and b) because, at least to my eyes, he showed steady improvemnet through out the year as he got more and more comfortable with his role.  He definitely showed that he is smart, tough and has the ability to run with just about any receiver in the NFL and I think with an off season program and training camp with the organization he will be a very good CB in 2013.

Can someone explain dead cap money.  I thought that was only for players no longer on the team who had money still counted because of a signing bonus?

That's exactly what it is.

If you're wondering why we still have dead money from Brackett's contract, it's because the team designated him as a post June 1 release. A pre June 1 release means that all of his unamortized bonus goes against the cap in one season. In this case, Brackett's contract would have increased our dead money by $4.8m in 2012. Because he was designated a post June 1 release, the team only had to count one year's worth of unamortized bonus against the 2012 cap, and then the remaining two years of unamortized bonus are counted against the 2013 cap.

We ended 2012 with only $3.5m in cap space, so that designation was necessary in order for us to fill out our roster over the course of the season. As you can see, we'd have been up the creek otherwise.

That's exactly what it is.

If you're wondering why we still have dead money from Brackett's contract, it's because the team designated him as a post June 1 release. A pre June 1 release means that all of his unamortized bonus goes against the cap in one season. In this case, Brackett's contract would have increased our dead money by $4.8m in 2012. Because he was designated a post June 1 release, the team only had to count one year's worth of unamortized bonus against the 2012 cap, and then the remaining two years of unamortized bonus are counted against the 2013 cap.

We ended 2012 with only $3.5m in cap space, so that designation was necessary in order for us to fill out our roster over the course of the season. As you can see, we'd have been up the creek otherwise.

Why though do players still on the team have money listed as dead money?  Or am I miss-reading that chart?

Why though do players still on the team have money listed as dead money?  Or am I miss-reading that chart?

You mean the Spotrac chart?

I don't really like that column. The math works out to be the difference between a player's base salary and his cap hit. But it's not necessarily dead money. Most of that difference is going to be prorated signing bonus, but some of it is roster bonus, and some of it is workout bonus, etc.

The reason that is significant is because with the new CBA, there's a salary floor for a four period between 2013-16, and again between 2017-20. But there is a yearly cash minimum for each team as well. So it's important to know the difference between the cap numbers and the cash outlay every season. But I don't think Spotrac's way of doing it is right.

You mean the Spotrac chart?

I don't really like that column. The math works out to be the difference between a player's base salary and his cap hit. But it's not necessarily dead money. Most of that difference is going to be prorated signing bonus, but some of it is roster bonus, and some of it is workout bonus, etc.

The reason that is significant is because with the new CBA, there's a salary floor for a four period between 2013-16, and again between 2017-20. But there is a yearly cash minimum for each team as well. So it's important to know the difference between the cap numbers and the cash outlay every season. But I don't think Spotrac's way of doing it is right.

That's the one, but it doesn't seem to work out.  Landry who just signed, has no dead money.  Toler does.  Luck at over 18 million in dead money. 

That's the one, but it doesn't seem to work out.  Landry who just signed, has no dead money.  Toler does.  Luck at over 18 million in dead money. 

Ah. I actually misunderstood and confused myself. That column shows what the dead cap hit would be to release any of our players. It's probably not complete for new contracts right now since we don't know all the guarantees and so forth of those contracts just yet.

I say give vontae contract be4 season starts just incase he has a awesome season

Cap management, in my opinion, is very difficult.  If you give him a big contract now, he could end up not doing well and still eating up a lot of cap space.  If you don't give him a contract now, you could end up with him having a great season and asking for even more money than he would have wanted at the start of the season.  It's a very difficult thing to do

Ah. I actually misunderstood and confused myself. That column shows what the dead cap hit would be to release any of our players. It's probably not complete for new contracts right now since we don't know all the guarantees and so forth of those contracts just yet.

Thanks.

I didn't see Butler covering Calvin Johnson much.

Vontae was exceptional in the latter end of the season. Injuries and maybe adjustment to scheme took their toll early on, come the end of the year he was our best player of defense.

One more thing in relation to the QB rating... it is a very flawed measurement when talking about CBs. Some CBs cover their man so well that the QB rarely throws their way, and only do when it is a high-percentage catch. Asomugha at the Raiders very rarely got the ball thrown his way because he was either pressing the receivers to not fulfill their routes in time or he was just air-tight to them, but when the ball was thrown his way, the receiver usually caught it, because it was a well designed play. So a QB rating would never have been a fair reflection on Asomugha who was arguably the best press-man corner in the league at the time.

This. Very nicely put mr. McGonnell  :thmup:

Just look at our PO game. Or against the Chiefs with three INTs (yes three, he got one taken away). Both were later games.

We can also now expect him to be fully recovered from his injuries when the season begins. Something one has to remember, after injury, they are often still not playing at 100%.