Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Overpaying not OK? Think big picture

Shepman

Overpaying not OK? Think big picturethat certain players/agents feel their worth $ is much greater than others, I don't disagree with their demand. Meaning in an open market there is supply and demand that heavily factor into price along with quality and investment. Long story short (puny intended) , paying big bucks for his service should be seen as a blessing that we have the cap to do it. Remember last year? Freeney $19 million and Luck getting hit constantly. Demand, supply, quality, investment.

Overpaying not OK? Think big picturethat certain players/agents feel their worth $ is much greater than others, I don't disagree with their demand. Meaning in an open market there is supply and demand that heavily factor into price along with quality and investment. Long story short (puny intended) , paying big bucks for his service should be seen as a blessing that we have the cap to do it. Remember last year? Freeney $19 million and Luck getting hit constantly. Demand, supply, quality, investment.

That's fine....unless Jake Long is morphing into Tony Boselli right before our eyes.

Long has All-Pro talent complete with the achievements....but does he bring chronic nagging injuries that will shorten his career? The Dolphins let him walk....IMO, that is one red flag.

Rumored demands of $11M per year are another....and very possibly an expensive mistake. I know its tempting but there are other options with less cap $$$ involved.

That's fine....unless Jake Long is morphing into Tony Boselli right before our eyes.

Long has All-Pro talent complete with the achievements....but does he bring chronic nagging injuries that will shorten his career? The Dolphins let him walk....IMO, that is one red flag.

Rumored demands of $11M per year are another....and very possibly an expensive mistake. I know its tempting but there are other options with less cap $$$ involved.

The Dolphins want him back.  They just didn't want to tag him and pay him roughly 15 mil a year. 

A lot of people here are more concerned what a player does to the cap than what he does for the team. I don't get all these "I don't want him for that much..." Comments. Does anyone really think our management is so dumb that they'll strap the team for a guy that can't help?

Geez, just read all of Grigs comments. Yes, we will overpay for someone. That's what Free Agency is all about. Lets let the accountants worry about the contracts. I'm more concerned how a guy can fit in and help the team.

A lot of people here are more concerned what a player does to the cap than what he does for the team. I don't get all these "I don't want him for that much..." Comments. Does anyone really think our management is so dumb that they'll strap the team for a guy that can't help?

Geez, just read all of Grigs comments. Yes, we will overpay for someone. That's what Free Agency is all about. Lets let the accountants worry about the contracts. I'm more concerned how a guy can fit in and help the team.

I don't think any of us are thinking that.  I think a lot of it has to do with the people we are rumored to be going after.  Kruger is asking for 10+ mil a year and isn't worth it and i think it has people worried we are going to pay him that much.

And what about injury questions?

There are some parallels between Long and Boselli....THAT is my concern, not whether a healthy Jake Long helps us or not.

1) The Dolphins haven't exactly been a model of good decision making.

2) Every player available in free agency is one that is being allowed to walk by their previous team. That doesn't necessarily make them damaged goods.

I give up with people in this forum lol, so many scared people afraid to spend big money on a potential big time player. what would you all rather us do ? spend small $ on a bunch of 2nd tier players? just please before i lose my mind stop acting like every big name that is brought up that he has some kind of issue to where we shouldnt sign him. with reed its age, with kruger its if he can do good without suggs, with long its his injuries, w Greg Jennings its his age. theres always somethin with everyone on this forum. WE HAVE MONEY FOR THE 1ST TIME IN A LONG TIME, embrace it. we are going to overpay for a player or 2 its FA so just stop...

i dont get why everyone wants Avril now over Kruger. Avril is not much cheaper at all, and he is a 4/3 DE not a LB. yes he played some LB in college but only in the beginning, his last 2 years he was a LE so its been a while for him..even in highschool he was a DE. so make no mistake about it DE is his natural fit. i just dont understand some of the thought process on this forum lol

I trust Grigson on this, he use to be Oline coach someone mentioned and with that knowledge im sure he is able to make good choices on Oline player a lot better then us.

so if he chooses that long is worth i mean the best we can do is moan and groan. But I have faith in the guys judgement and experience with that.

1) The Dolphins haven't exactly been a model of good decision making.

2) Every player available in free agency is one that is being allowed to walk by their previous team. That doesn't necessarily make them damaged goods.

Yeah....I don't seem to recall a lot of healthy 28 year-old Pro Bowl LTs being allowed to walk in free agency.

Jake Long has a documented injury history over the last 2 seasons and his rumored price tag is $11M per season....IMO, that risk/reward doesn't work well when acceptable less expensive option exist and we have 3 or 4 other pressing needs.

Yeah....I don't seem to recall a lot of healthy 28 year-old Pro Bowl LTs being allowed to walk in free agency.

Jake Long has a documented injury history over the last 2 seasons and his rumored price tag is $11M per season....IMO, that risk/reward doesn't work well when acceptable less expensive option exist and we have 3 or 4 other pressing needs.

Perhaps. I'm not bullish on Jake Long. I just don't agree with the "the Dolphins are letting him walk for a reason" argument.

Perhaps. I'm not bullish on Jake Long. I just don't agree with the "the Dolphins are letting him walk for a reason" argument.

That's fair...there could be other reasons why they appear to be parting ways. And Miami's front office being knuckleheads is certainly possible...it sounds like they're about to drop Fort Knox into Mike Wallace's backyard.

My only angle is that if we're spending nearly 10% of a $123M salary cap on one guy....he needs to walk thru the locker room door with zero health issues.

It is all about how you spend your money and getting the most bang for your money.  You look at the model franchises around the league like the Patriots and us the number one thing that has kept them at the top is knowing when and how to spend their money.

Jake Long is a very tempting considering our issues along the offensive line and if he is commanding top LT dollars. The question is are you signing the all pro left tackle that came into the league or the heavily injured player who was rather lackluster over the past two seasons?  If you get the second one and you are paying him 15 million dollars over the next few years you are killing your cap, which will hurt you down the road when it comes time to re-signing a guy like Luck or Hilton.

Free agency can be a great tool if used properly.  You have to find the guy who is going to give you the biggest bang for your money. For all the rumors Kruger is wanting a huge pay day and I would love the guy here, but not at his prices because how much we will have to pay for him he better produce like Freeney in his top years.  If you are not getting that production he is not worth the money. Let him go suffer and lose in Cleveland for that amount of money.

People seem to get hung up on $$ per year, if the contract is structured properly you can always have an out with a minimal hit if you structure properly. As some have said, smart accounting can go a long way in free agency.

That's fair...there could be other reasons why they appear to be parting ways. And Miami's front office being knuckleheads is certainly possible...it sounds like they're about to drop Fort Knox into Mike Wallace's backyard.

My only angle is that if we're spending nearly 10% of a $123M salary cap on one guy....he needs to walk thru the locker room door with zero health issues.

I'm not sure Long is going to get the money he was seeking. I don't think there's going to be a huge market for him either. Miami doesn't think he really fits the zone scheme they switched to, Browns and Bengals don't need him. The other teams that have a large chunk of money have much more pressing needs, so It's possible we could reel him in for much cheaper than what he thought he would get. I agree that I wouldn't pay 10+ million for him.

i dont get why everyone wants Avril now over Kruger. Avril is not much cheaper at all, and he is a 4/3 DE not a LB. yes he played some LB in college but only in the beginning, his last 2 years he was a LE so its been a while for him..even in highschool he was a DE. so make no mistake about it DE is his natural fit. i just dont understand some of the thought process on this forum lol

Whether its been awhile or not he can play that position.  He is more proven than Kruger who if you look at the stats is not good when he doesn't have others playing around him like: Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Ngata.  Yes we have some good players: Bethea, Mathis, Davis.  But the key to Krugers success was and always will be a dominate NT which we currently do not have.  Paying a guy 10 mil plus a year based on the hope that you can get that big time NT to compliment him is plan stupid.

I learned a new insight today about perceived contract value thru players/agent's eyes and probably similar for teams. The true contact $ are the first 3 years meaning most are restructured, extended or dropped in year four. Good accountants can go a long way with large contracts hopefully we have those if needed.

I'm not sure Long is going to get the money he was seeking. I don't think there's going to be a huge market for him either. Miami doesn't think he really fits the zone scheme they switched to, Browns and Bengals don't need him. The other teams that have a large chunk of money have much more pressing needs, so It's possible we could reel him in for much cheaper than what he thought he would get. I agree that I wouldn't pay 10+ million for him.

Oh yeah, we're in a good spot if we want to pursue him....and if his number settles in at $6-7M and our team doctors give him the green light then I'd feel a heck of a lot more comfortable about getting him.

But whatever the price there's no use having a constantly banged up LT.

My preference is give AC another year at LT for his very friendly $2M salary...go ahead and fix the OG problem and sign or draft a RT.

That's very reasonable. Long's injury issues are a concern in my book as well.

Oh yeah, we're in a good spot if we want to pursue him....and if his number settles in at $6-7M and our team doctors give him the green light then I'd feel a heck of a lot more comfortable about getting him.

But whatever the price there's no use having a constantly banged up LT.

My preference is give AC another year at LT for his very friendly $2M salary...go ahead and fix the OG problem and sign or draft a RT.

Yeah I'm with you. If he checked out, the idea has grown on me over the last couple of months. Long at LT, Castanzo to RT, and sign Vasquez and our line all of a sudden is very formidable. That of course, depends on Long staying healthy.

I would feel better about your view of over paying today if you knew Freeney was paid $14M.

Yes we could have dumped him and had that $14M to invest in the O-Line. And he was terrible.

Pretty fortunate Irsays decision didn`t get him hurt.