Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we still interested in Mike Jenkins?

Iron Colt

who is Xavier jones?

I would be interested in mike jenkins if he's healthy and doesn't want a fortune.

He means Xavier Rhodes. I would love to have him slide to us, but with his combine performance it's not going to happen.

You gotta figure Rhodes has put himself in the top 20 especially with Star, the LSU doggers, the A and M kid who had a bad combine, ...all of these kids will slide and Rhodes, Geno probably, Hunt maybe will rise. So I don't think we get Rhodes. Now, I don't mean slide out of the 1'st, just to the middle to bottom.

...and they will all get burned because of no pass rush

That whole thing about having to have a great pass rush has really been debunked, sure you have to apply pressure but ya dont have to have top of the line sack numbers, Examples:

2011-Vikings had the most sacks in the league with 50 yet were 26th in passing yards given up 

2011-Giants had 48 sacks yet were 29th in pass yards given up

2011-Patriots had 40 sacks yet were 31st in passing yards given up 

2012-Dolphins, Patriots, Titans, Vikings, Browns all had 38 or more sacks but were ranked 24th or worse in passing yards given up

None of that is to say pass rush dont have an effect but a good pass rush and good or great coverage work together, dont have a good pass rush and have Corners named Cassius Vaughn, Powers, your dead where ya stand, have great Corners and a decent but not great pass rush then ya can get by, obviously the idea would be to have both though, Grigson has some tough decisions coming up, I think we could get by with Jerry Hughes as our pass rush 3-4 pass rushing OLB/DE to the point that we wouldn't need to draft one in the first if we did not like what was there over another position, I'd probably trade down into the 2nd round and grab Okafor or Brandon Jenkins, according to NFL.com Okafor does have a first round grade and despite Jenkins injury this past year he is still at a 2nd round grade so that tells ya something about what some professionals think about both of there skills 

That whole thing about having to have a great pass rush has really been debunked, sure you have to apply pressure but ya dont have to have top of the line sack numbers, Examples:

2011-Vikings had the most sacks in the league with 50 yet were 26th in passing yards given up 

2012-Dolphins, Patriots, Titans, Vikings, Browns all had 38 or more sacks but were ranked 24th or worse in passing yards given up

None of that is to say pass rush dont have an effect but a good pass rush and good or great coverage work together, dont have a good pass rush and have Corners named Cassius Vaughn, Powers, your dead where ya stand, have great Corners and a decent but not great pass rush then ya can get by, obviously the idea would be to have both though, Grigson has some tough decisions coming up, I think we could get by with Jerry Hughes as our pass rush 3-4 pass rushing OLB/DE to the point that we wouldn't need to draft one in the first if we did not like what was there over another position, I'd probably trade down into the 2nd round and grab Okafor or Brandon Jenkins, according to NFL.com Okafor does have a first round grade and despite Jenkins injury this past year he is still at a 2nd round grade so that tells ya something about what some professionals think about both of there skills 

Debunked by who? Sacks don't equal consistent pressure. Did the giants win two Super Bowls with great secondary play? What happened to the 49ers defense when Justin smith was injured and their pass rush wasn't effective? Ravens defense starts playing better when Suggs gets healthy and Kruger becomes more effective.....with their their best CB out for the season.

You are wanting a "decent" pass rush and you want to " get by" with Hughes. Then you want to draft Okafor who is not considered by most analysts to be great but just good. Why do you want to settle for mediocrity when we should be aiming for greatness. You have to get pressure on the QB. It is vital.

i think what gavin is trying to say is they go hand and hand. a good pass rush complaments the coverage and good coverage complaments the pass rush. you dont have to have the so called big names to accomplish this. you need a team with great chemistry and just because a player is great does not mean they belong on the team

You are wanting a "decent" pass rush and you want to " get by" with Hughes. Then you want to draft Okafor who is not considered by most analysts to be great but just good. Why do you want to settle for mediocrity when we should be aiming for greatness. You have to get pressure on the QB. It is vital.

Debunked by who? Sacks don't equal consistent pressure. Did the giants win two Super Bowls with great secondary play? What happened to the 49ers defense when Justin smith was injured and their pass rush wasn't effective? Ravens defense starts playing better when Suggs gets healthy and Kruger becomes more effective.....with their their best CB out for the season.

I know sacks dont equal consistent pressure, thats obvious. Im just saying if it came down to Rhodes or Okafor or Dion Jordan or Sam Montgomery, I'd think about Rhodes before a pass rusher

For the record I dont think we would actually get by with Hughes but I think he would do better then people think in that role although I much prefer in the Mathis role, While I dont know if he can be an elite pass rusher, I have no doubts he can give you 8-10 sacks since he had 4 in 6 starts this year,we will need another pass rusher no doubt but if we went Rhodes over one of the names I have been mentioning at OLB I think we would be alright, If Grigson feels differently we can always draft a pass rusher with our first pick or trade down for more picks while drafting one at the top of the 2nd (Brandon Jenkins is likely going to be a very very good pass rusher for years to come once he gets his feet wet)

We need corners and pressure. To me the best defensive back prospects in this years draft will be found in rounds 1 and 2, I don't see anything that is starter quality beyond those two rounds. We do not have a 2nd round pick so I think if a corner like Rhodes is available when we pick we should take him. When it comes down to pressure I think there are a good variety of guys in this draft that you can find outside of the first one or two rounds. Not to mention options in free agency such as Paul Kruger, Anthony Spencer, Cliff Avril(maybe not sure).

The only way I personally come off of what I stated above, is if we decide to get a very solid corner in free agency like Cary Wiliams or somebody else. If that happens then I'm all for a pass rusher in the first round. Just my 2 cents.

I know sacks dont equal consistent pressure, thats obvious. Im just saying if it came down to Rhodes or Okafor or Dion Jordan or Sam Montgomery, I'd think about Rhodes before a pass rusher

I would take Jordan over Rhodes in a heart beat

I might or might not, He sure did not put up the production I'd want out of my first round pick, If Im taking a pass rusher, I'd take Okafor, He stood up just like Jordan did even if it wasn't as much, although I have no way of confirming that since I havent seen any statistics, Even so people are making way to big a deal of Jordan standing up or Okafor not doing it as much as Jordan if thats the case, Pagano has shown that he will plan around his players talents and put them in the best case scenario to succeed, Im not dismissing dropping back because it will happen some(Although it didn't much for Freeney and Suggs) but for pure pass rushing duties, Hands down Okafor over Jordan for me if we went pass rusher 

That's the problem. There is zero chance of Jordan being there at pick #25. Absolutley zero

There's a significant chance Rhodes won't be there, but the odds are better than Jordan I know that.

I'd absolutley love to get Jordan though in my dreams. I'd take Jordan over Okafor certainly.

That's the problem. There is zero chance of Jordan being there at pick #25. Absolutley zeroThere's a significant chance Rhodes won't be there, but the odds are better than Jordan I know that.I'd absolutley love to get Jordan though in my dreams. I'd take Jordan over Okafor certainly.

I realize that...was just responding to Gavin's hypothetical

As a latter round situational pass rushing prospect, I'm a bit intrigued by Travardo Williams from Connecticut. In this draft I think he is one of the top sack artist. Runs a 4.5 40. The problem is he's only 230 lbs, but from watching tape of him against teams like NC State and Louisville he appears to hold his ground pretty well even against the run. Connecticut would often times line him up in a 4 point stance right on the line and I rarely ever saw him getting blown off the line. I think he has the kind of potential to make an impact in the first year. Guy has a ton of speed and quickness. Projected as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

To be the best you got to beat the best. To me that is beating teams like Denver, Houston, Baltimore, and especially New England. The blue print for doing so has been shown time and time again against elite qbs you have to get pressure up the middle...make them move in the pocket and get off their spots. Pressure any of those qbs...get in their faces and we see the most accurate and deadly passers in the league make mistakes and their completion percentage go down. Get them off their spots and they lose momentum. Granted you have to be able to cover someone for at least 3 seconds but if you have no pass rush...and you give these guys 4 and 5...no one can cover that long. Adequate DBs and elite pass rush is what is needed. That doesn't mean exclusively from the ends but also for the middle. To me the best pass rush is right in the qbs face....forcing him to slide...and thus running him into the DEs/OLBs. Let him sit in that kosey pocket and the ends fly by behind him does no good.