Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts best case steal in the third round

without being too unrealistic who would you want if they could slip too us in the third. WR Da'Rick rogers would be my pick. Could be a true number one only has had off field issues. Reggie could help the young man. I dought he would still be there. some other candidates CB Amerson and Mathieu, RB Bell and lattimore, WR Hunter, DE carridine, OT Thomas, , OLB Moore and porter, SS thomas. We could even trade down to pick up someone like CB Banks who hurt himself at the combine. He still could fall to the third depending on his pro day att mississippi state. Any thoughts on these guys or any i left out.

1. I wouldn't take Mathieu in the third, this draft is too deep at other positions. I'd take him in the fourth in a heartbeat.

2. Again, Amerson is not a CB for us, he is a strictly zone coverage player, so he'd have to move to FS, same as Tyrann.

3. Bell and Lattimore are reaches in the third.

4. Thomas (OL), Rogers, Moore, and Banks won't last to the late third.

I'd love Jamie Collins in the third. He is a monster pass rusher, covers extremely well, defends the run very well, and still produced (10 sacks!) on the worst team in NCAAF. Think about it like this, they didn't win a single game, so opposing offenses were playing ahead most of the time, and didnt pass much, but he still got 10 sacks! If he were on Alabama he'd have 15 sacks and would be a surefire first rounder.

I'd love Jamie Collins in the third. He is a monster pass rusher, covers extremely well, defends the run very well, and still produced (10 sacks!) on the worst team in NCAAF. Think about it like this, they didn't win a single game, so opposing offenses were playing ahead most of the time, and didnt pass much, but he still got 10 sacks! If he were on Alabama he'd have 15 sacks and would be a surefire first rounder.

Jamie Collins would be a home run in the 3rd! He has the game film and the combine #'s to back him up, he will be a beast in the NFL.

I think people are picking up on Collins...maylock has him as his #2 rush LB

Another guy to look at is Micheal Buchanan DE/OLB out of Illinois

without being too unrealistic who would you want if they could slip too us in the third. WR Da'Rick rogers would be my pick. Could be a true number one only has had off field issues. Reggie could help the young man. I dought he would still be there. some other candidates CB Amerson and Mathieu, RB Bell and lattimore, WR Hunter, DE carridine, OT Thomas, , OLB Moore and porter, SS thomas. We could even trade down to pick up someone like CB Banks who hurt himself at the combine. He still could fall to the third depending on his pro day att mississippi state. Any thoughts on these guys or any i left out.

some people on the forum wouldn't want him because he failed 3 drug test form marijuana and got dismissed from Tennessee so he is in the same boat as Mathieu. Me personally don't put a big thing on marijuana since about 60% of prospects  have smoked weed, now if he got kicked out for something else is a different story. I would welcome either one Rogers or Mathieu.

But my choice would be Duke Williams, Darius Slay, or Lemonier. Also Ray Ray Armstrong somewhere in the later rounds

some people on the forum wouldn't want him because he failed 3 drug test form marijuana and got dismissed from Tennessee so he is in the same boat as Mathieu. Me personally don't put a big thing on marijuana since about 60% of prospects  have smoked weed, now if he got kicked out for something else is a different story. I would welcome either one Rogers or Mathieu.

But my choice would be Duke Williams, Darius Slay, or Lemonier. Also Ray Ray Armstrong somewhere in the later rounds

Smoking weed and getting busted for it once may not be a big deal,  but it gets the attention of NFL types....

BUT....

Smoking enough weed to get yourself kicked out of school is entirely different.   That's not the kind of thing that happens when you're busted for the 1st time....    or even the 2nd time...   when you get kicked out of school -- especially an SEC school where football is KING -- you get many more chances.     So if guys like Rodgers and Mathieu are getting kicked out of school for marijuana, it's for repeated violations.

And THAT is a Big Red Flag for the NFL.

Smoking weed and getting busted for it once may not be a big deal,  but it gets the attention of NFL types....

BUT....

Smoking enough weed to get yourself kicked out of school is entirely different.   That's not the kind of thing that happens when you're busted for the 1st time....    or even the 2nd time...   when you get kicked out of school -- especially an SEC school where football is KING -- you get many more chances.     So if guys like Rodgers and Mathieu are getting kicked out of school for marijuana, it's for repeated violations.

And THAT is a Big Red Flag for the NFL.

It is, but if Matheiu was a true lock down corner prospect he would probably still go in the first. Jenkins was a high 2nd who had weed problems, baby mama problems, and temperament problems.

William Gholston(6'6 281lbs) in the 3rd-4th not really sure which round most people project him in but I like him. Perfect 3-4 DE choice for us to play the 5 tech if you ask me, he is one of the best run stopping 3-4 de in the draft, gets in the passing lane while knocking down 10 passes this year. his pass rushing ability is a off and on, but our DE are called upon to stop the run as a priority, which was our weakness and that is what he does best. NFL.com compares him to Cory Redding. His cousin drops his stock a little bit since Vernon is the definition of a bust. but their can only be one bust in the family and Gholston should thrive in at the 5 tech DE as Mike Mayock projects him as the 5th best 3-4 DE in the draft.

Tyrann Mathieu. I don't care if people think 3rd round is too early, it would be well worth it. He would be a first rounder if not a top 10 pick if he didn't have the weed charges. I think a lot more players smoke than people think and it's really not that big of a deal if he shows up ready to play every Sunday. He has "it" and it's so obvious, I just hope Grigs sees the same. I would love to pick up Ed Reed and have him be a mentor to Mathieu, that could do great things for his character and play-development.

Tyrann Mathieu. I don't care if people think 3rd round is too early, it would be well worth it. He would be a first rounder if not a top 10 pick if he didn't have the weed charges. I think a lot more players smoke than people think and it's really not that big of a deal if he shows up ready to play every Sunday. He has "it" and it's so obvious, I just hope Grigs sees the same. I would love to pick up Ed Reed and have him be a mentor to Mathieu, that could do great things for his character and play-development.

He would never be a first round pick let alone a top 10.

Smoking weed in and of itself is not the problem with him.  It's the multiple times he's been caught.  You'd think with a promising NFL career on the line, most people would stop after being caught the first time.  He was caught multiple times, kicked off the team, and then got caught again after saying he went to rehab.  I don't think he's gotten his addiction completely out of his system and that could cost him games at the pro level.  Plus he's small and not very strong.  He only did 4 reps of 225lbs at the combine?  I can do that! 

If he had 0 off the field issues and was feeding orphans in his spare time he still would not be a 1st round pick... and the only way he was going to see the top 10 was in his stoned hallucinations!

Guys who could be a steal in the 3rd round for us, with a decent shot of actually being there? Here's my top 5 in the order I thought of them, not necessarily the order I'd rank them.

1) Shamarko Thomas, SS , Syracuse

2) DJ Swearinger, FS, NC State

3) Brian Winters, OG, Kent State

4) Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

5) David Quessenberry, OT/OG, San Jose State

I think grigs will go ol in the first and defense in the next couple it all depends on free agency.

I agree with the free agency part. Based on his comments at the Combine, I think Grigs looks to solve our O line in free agency and will go defense, most likely corner, in the first round.

Chase Thomas, Tank Carridine, Brandon Jenkins, all are three pass rushers that are very underrated and could very well fall to us in the 3rd. Chase Thomas is a 3-4 OLB from Stanford (we love our Stanford guys) who's incredibly smart and everybody gives praise about his football IQ. HIGH MOTOR, goes full on every snap, extremely versatile, and better than average at coverage. He has a very good pass rush skill and a variety of moves, but some people will pass because he doesn't really attack and burst off the snap, he plays to read and react. Tank Carridine, I don't know why this guy isn't a solid first-rounder. He played great all year long, then had one bad game (ok, it was horrendous) at the very end against Florida, and then tore his ACL. He can explode off the snap with a huge burst, either use his agility to get around tackles, or has the strength to bull-rush them, either way, he's a very good pass rusher. Also another guy with a HIGH MOTOR, he never gives up. It seems like his only concern is he just started playing D-1 ball in 2011, and had just 2 seasons at Florida State (juco transfer). Either way, this guy is bull who could toss you aside easy, or even use his athleticism to get past you quickly. Brandon Jenkins also came from Florida State (what a great class of pass rushers for them, Werner, Carridine, Jenkins). He played great his first few years, although his sack total dipped from 2010 to 2011, and could've entered the draft as a lock for a 2nd round pick, but chose to go back to school. Primed for a big year, he suffered a Linsfrac Injury to sideline him for the whole year, but he's a very quick outside pass rusher, very nice spin move, but can still hold ground on the run and against double teams.

All in all, Chase Thomas is a more smart, read and react type 3-4 OLB, Carridine is a huge force best suited as a 4-3 DE, but could transition either to a 3-4 OLB or 3-4 DE, and Jenkins is a quick pass rusher with some strength to go along with it.

Last note, seriously you guys should look up these three, I think they're all going to have great NFL careers, no matter where they go.