Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals Likely To Allow Andre Smith To Test FA Market

krunk

"Smith graded out as the top right tackle this past season according to Pro Football Focus. He is fourth among starting right tackles in pass blocking and third in run blocking. He had only two games with a negative grade and has developed into the right tackle that many thought he would be when drafted sixth overall in 2009. - "

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/02/27/bengals-free-agents-tight-end-wide-receiver-and-offensive-line/

I would be totally cool with us grabbing this guy for the right tackle spot.

I'd love the signing, too. How much do you think it would cost us?

I'm not sure, but if we could structure the contract properly it may definitely be worth it to pay him.

Definitely worth it because he fits our scheme, he's talented, huge, and best of all he's young.

If he does, it didn't stop him from grading out as the top right tackle. Probably not that big of an issue.

maybe not but its only one year and bengals willing to let him go tells me theres something they didnt like about him

Where in that link did it say they are likely to let him test the market?

I read a bit fast on that one. Didn't see the "Arm Chair Gm" right next to the comments. However it's not that far off base, I've seen other articles speaking on the issue.

Where in that link did it say they are likely to let him test the market?

They just tagged DE Michael Johnson....so its official...Smith can now test the market if he chooses.

In addition to Johnson....the Bengals will have to fess up $$$ for Geno Atkins and Smith if they want to retain them.

They have alot of cap space...but it will take a nice chunk to keep all three.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000146235/article/michael-johnson-gets-cincinnati-bengals-franchise-tag

Andre Smith doesn't have the kind of character I would like to see out of an NFL player, but he does possess the ideal skills to suit the type of O-Line the Colts are going for. I do believe in a well coached team being able to help players improve their character and Chuck seems like the kind of coach who would be able to do that.

WOW! The strong players of these positions are ACTUALLY gonna make it to FA. It seems the Colts will have lots of options to make the best of their cap situation. Andre Smith, Vasquez, and Cherilus are a few I can think of right now... this and a FA CB or two(thinking Powers comes back) can totally change how we go into this draft. If the draft is soooooo strong for Oline and Defense then I could see us trading out of the 1st round and getting a coulpe of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Maybe?

So what are his character flaws?     Dude likes dinner...    who doesn't?

I think this kid would be a great sign...   only worry is he gets happy and eats himself out of shape.

Andre Smith doesn't have the kind of character I would like to see out of an NFL player, but he does possess the ideal skills to suit the type of O-Line the Colts are going for. I do believe in a well coached team being able to help players improve their character and Chuck seems like the kind of coach who would be able to do that.

The Colts are truly a very fortunate organization. We lose Peyton Manning, only to be in position to draft Andrew Luck. Then the year that we have much cap space, there are numerous options in FA that can definitely upgrade the team, especially to the O-line and DB position, two areas that needed upgrading for quite some time.

I am very excited for FA and the draft!

So what are his character flaws?     Dude likes dinner...    who doesn't?

I think this kid would be a great sign...   only worry is he gets happy and eats himself out of shape.

He just got arrested two weeks ago for trying to carry a gun on an airplane for one...

Not really.  Besides, Smith has had weight problems even by offensive line standards...

andre-smith-combine.jpg

Im just saying, you're going to be hard pressed to find a doctor to say it's healthy to be 300+lbs unless you're 8 foot tall. I was kind of joking to begin with but it's still kind of true.

Im just saying, you're going to be hard pressed to find a doctor to say it's healthy to be 300+lbs unless you're 8 foot tall. I was kind of joking to begin with but it's still kind of true.

It's a bit of a complicated issue.  Being that big can be risky, particularly if you have an undiagnosed cardiological condition.  There's also no question that being Vince Wilfork big isn't good for you in the long run...

wince+wilfork+2.jpg

... especially once you're finished with being an elite athlete.  However, a lot of these big guys in their prime are just plain astounding physical specimens who are in amazing shape and in far better overall health than your average Joe, rigors of the job aside.

WilliamsTrentCombine.jpg

nfl_a_armstead_gb1_200.jpg

hi-res-7074498_display_image.jpg?1361682

"Smith graded out as the top right tackle this past season according to Pro Football Focus. He is fourth among starting right tackles in pass blocking and third in run blocking. He had only two games with a negative grade and has developed into the right tackle that many thought he would be when drafted sixth overall in 2009. - "

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/02/27/bengals-free-agents-tight-end-wide-receiver-and-offensive-line/

I would be totally cool with us grabbing this guy for the right tackle spot.

His toes will test the waters I doubt they'll let him go .

It's a bit of a complicated issue.  Being that big can be risky, particularly if you have an undiagnosed cardiological condition.  There's also no question that being Vince Wilfork big isn't good for you in the long run...

wince+wilfork+2.jpg

... especially once you're finished with being an elite athlete.  However, a lot of these big guys in their prime are just plain astounding physical specimens who are in amazing shape and in far better overall health than your average Joe, rigors of the job aside.

WilliamsTrentCombine.jpg

nfl_a_armstead_gb1_200.jpg

hi-res-7074498_display_image.jpg?1361682

Guess what .....  little guys who have multiple "knee" surgeries tend to ...   slow down a tad also.... 

He would be an awesome addition to the team.  However, I think he will be very expensive.  I would love the addition, but I won't lose any sleep if he goes somewhere else.  I'm confident Grigs will solidify the O-line somehow

You're right. He probably will be expensive. I just wonder how much?

Bengals Letting Andre Smith Test Market

February 27th, 2013 · No Comments

The Cincinnati Bengals are likely to let impending free-agent OT Andre Smith test the open market, and then see what it will take to re-sign him to an extension.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/02/27/bengals-letting-andre-smith-test-market/

He would be an awesome addition to the team.  However, I think he will be very expensive.  I would love the addition, but I won't lose any sleep if he goes somewhere else.  I'm confident Grigs will solidify the O-line somehow

He may be worth it. I know everybody want to get the 5 best bargains in FA....but it's not a crime to spend money...not like a RT is going to command Mario Williams $$$$

I'm sure he'll command a pretty penny. The main issue is the Bengals have more cap space than we do so they will be able to go through some concessions if an offer is made by another team so I assume the price could get jacked up. Depends on how things go.

Bengals | Andre Smith wants big money Sat Mar 2, 09:54 AM

Cincinnati Bengals impending free-agent OT Andre Smith is reportedly looking for a deal that pays out $9 million annually.

Our view: That would be giving Smith top Left Tackle money even though he plays Right Tackle. It would far exceed the contract Giants LT William Beatty signed last week, which pays him an average of $7.5MM per year. We doubt the Bengals will pay Smith the kind of money he's reportedly looking for but the team will work hard to work something out.

Link to story

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/andre-smith-eyeing-9-million-per-year/

I'd pay this guy, before I paid somebody like Jake Long. Sign him up Grigs!

Bengals | Andre Smith wants big money Sat Mar 2, 09:54 AMCincinnati Bengals impending free-agent OT Andre Smith is reportedly looking for a deal that pays out $9 million annually.Our view: That would be giving Smith top Left Tackle money even though he plays Right Tackle. It would far exceed the contract Giants LT William Beatty signed last week, which pays him an average of $7.5MM per year. We doubt the Bengals will pay Smith the kind of money he's reportedly looking for but the team will work hard to work something out.Link to storyhttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/andre-smith-eyeing-9-million-per-year/I'd pay this guy, before I paid somebody like Jake Long. Sign him up Grigs!

Wouldn't give him 9m a year....nobody else will either