Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opening Game

stvstheworld

Home: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Denver, Oakland, Miami, St Louis, Seattle.

Away: Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, Kansas City, Cincinnati, San Fransisco, Arizona.

With the fixtures for next season being announced in the spring, if you had your pick, who'd you fancy for the opening game?

Personally, I'd take an opener at home against one of Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland or St Louis. Think we could get off to a good start against any of these four.

Thoughts?

well we know it wont be denver since its the manning bowl to open sunday night football. if our game with the broncos isnt prime time there is something seriously wrong with the nfl. i expect atleast four prime time games broncos and 49ers sunday night, texans and seahawks monday night. cards could be a thursday night game.

well we know it wont be denver since its the manning bowl to open sunday night football. if our game with the broncos isnt prime time there is something seriously wrong with the nfl. i expect atleast four prime time games broncos and 49ers sunday night, texans and seahawks monday night. cards could be a thursday night game.

It seems like the NFL is gearing towards more divisional games being on Thursday night, to even things out in the divisional race. I expect 16 divisional matchups for Thursday Night football. 32 teams - 16 divisional matchups, as even as it can get, IMO.

5 prime time games? Maybe against Broncos, 49ers, and Texans, but I doubt against the Seahawks or the Cards. 

It seems like the NFL is gearing towards more divisional games being on Thursday night, to even things out in the divisional race. I expect 16 divisional matchups for Thursday Night football. 32 teams - 16 divisional matchups, as even as it can get, IMO.

there were some matchups that werent division games last year

there were some matchups that werent division games last year

I know that but I think that is how it should be. I do think the road team has an unfair disadvantage in the short week games in a divisional matchup. The only way to even it out is to give the last year's top 2 divisional contenders road division games on TNF to even it out. That is just the way I would do it to make a fair schedule.

I know that but I think that is how it should be. I do think the road team has an unfair disadvantage in the short week games in a divisional matchup. The only way to even it out is to give the last year's top 2 divisional contenders road division games on TNF to even it out. That is just the way I would do it to make a fair schedule.

the whole away teams are at a disadvantage is arguable. the bucs destroyed the vikings and titans beat the steelers 

Thursday night games should be moved to Friday. The extra day of rest would be beneficial.

I would also love to see the colts start and end the season with the texans.

I agree about the Friday part.

I would prefer to not play the Texans till the second half of the season.

Good offensive teams - play them early before they get rhythm (Denver, San Diego)

Good defensive teams - play them later after the defensive unit has had a few injuries (49ers, Seahawks, Texans)

Seattle and Arizona are backwards on this years schedule the OP has. We play Seattle there and Arizona here. We played Seattle here and Arizona away back to back in 09'.

I remember that Arizona Game. That one hand TD by Reggie Wayne. Garcon domination over DRC all game. Donald Brown breaking of a few big runs

:sigh: Good Times, Good Times

I agree with division rival, but they'll probably make it vs. Denver on Sunday night and hype the heck out of it all summer long

That's exactly what I said... with Ravens opening up and what not, I figured it would be perfect for the NFL to hype that Peyton coming back to Peytons Place / The House Peyton Built or whatever... for the first time, and against the guy they cut him for... blah blah.. perfect! but I read somewhere they were talking about Denver - NYG for Manning Bowl 3... psh no one wants to see that, bring em to indy!... either way I do know I'm making that trip from So Cal - Indy (for my first time) to see that game... can't wait...

never got to see peyton at home, but this is almost perfect.. still get to see him one last time live, and againt Luck, yeahhhhhh

Good offensive teams - play them early before they get rhythm (Denver, San Diego)

Good defensive teams - play them later after the defensive unit has had a few injuries (49ers, Seahawks, Texans)

hate to knock, or sound negative, but I hate this... come on now, this is our team... ride for em... who cares who or where we play, we will have a shot at every game.. the way I see it these "good" offensive/defensive teams should be worried about us

Thursday night games should be moved to Friday. The extra day of rest would be beneficial.

I would also love to see the colts start and end the season with the texans.

they also should b aired publicly (espn,nbc) as much as i love their wind bww is a good drive from my apartment. And i can't be the fan i want to be there as opposed to in the comforts of my home

hate to knock, or sound negative, but I hate this... come on now, this is our team... ride for em... who cares who or where we play, we will have a shot at every game.. the way I see it these "good" offensive/defensive teams should be worried about us

But I am also realistic. I know that we would have had a harder time beating the Packers last year at home if we played them later that year, and given how we struggled vs the zone blocking scheme vs the Redskins in pre-season (entire league did, apparently :)), we would have had a harder adjustment vs the Texans' running game right off the bat if we played them early, much like we struggled vs the Jags in game 3. Plus with Cushing in their squad defensively, the Texans are a better defensive unit.

The adage "it is not who you play, it is when you play them" is still true from a win probability point of view, IMO. It is fine if you disagree. It might change with free agent additions and another year under their belt for rookies but it seems to be the theme for teams across the league.

Last year:

Pats started 2-2 without a lot of rhythm, Broncos started 2-3 without a lot of rhythm, Packers started 2-3 without a lot of rhythm. Co-incidence that these are all offense heavy teams? I think not.

Bears and Texans started real well, then faded once defensive injuries crept up and their Ds could not dominate as much later. 49ers rarely substitute their front 7, and got worn out as the year went on but did enough to get a #2 seeding. Co-incidence? I think not.

Friday night interrupts espn friday night nba

Well we may have the third easiest schudule according to wins and losses but this schedule still is not gonna be a slouch. Seattle, San Fran, Cincy, Hou, Den and Mia wont be easy either if they add a couple weapons with thier Solid Defense they could be good. Gonna be some good games and challenges.