Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Part Of The Problem Be The Colts "we Don't Care About Preseason" Attitude?

Blue Horseshoe

The past 4 years they have opened very flat.

Sure, there have been some key injuries but the whole team has looked bad each year.

2008 Bears 29 Colts 13

2009 Jaguars 12 Colts 14

2010 Texans 34 Colts 24

2011 Texans 34 Colts 7

Were not the only good team that does this. Preseason has nothing to do with it. That's about evaluating players, not getting your first string players in sync. Its only natural for rust to build during the off season. The only loss you listed that still stings is the Bears loss. That was the Lukes debut!

Sure, there have been some key injuries but the whole team has looked bad each year.

2008 Bears 29 Colts 13

2009 Jaguars 12 Colts 14

2010 Texans 34 Colts 24

2011 Texans 34 Colts 7

There are threads that make my head hurt. This is one of them.

Were not the only good team that does this. Preseason has nothing to do with it. That's about evaluating players, not getting your first string players in sync. Its only natural for rust to build during the off season. The only loss you listed that still stings is the Bears loss. That was the Lukes debut!

I am in no way saying that winning preseason ball games is important. It is the "oh well, we don't care if we look horrible" way they talk about it. From about 2004 to 2008 the first team usually won their quarters and Manning would talk about how much they wanted to score, especially on the opening drive of the game. Now they actually talk about how they don't care and I'm wondering if it could be carrying into opening day. On opening day the past 4 years they have put up one of their 3 worst point totals each year and 3 of 4 years have allowed one of their 3 worst point totals of the year.

I am in no way saying that winning preseason ball games is important. It is the "oh well, we don't care if we look horrible" way they talk about it. From about 2004 to 2008 the first team usually won their quarters and Manning would talk about how much they wanted to score, especially on the opening drive of the game. Now they actually talk about how they don't care and I'm wondering if it could be carrying into opening day. On opening day the past 4 years they have put up one of their 3 worst point totals each year and 3 of 4 years have allowed one of their 3 worst point totals of the year.

Here is a thought, what will happen when the pre-season is cut to two games.

Could Part Of The Problem Be The Colts "we Don't Care About Preseason" Attitude?

No. The problem is we lost our franchise QB and didn't have the wherewithal to make sure we had a contingency plan. We didn't have a little red box that said "Break glass in case of injured Manning".

We can pull the carpet up trying to search for reasons, but the reasons are really very apparent, and it really is that simple.

No -- they've sucked in the pre-season for a very long time....and never had any problems in the regular season because of it. I don't think this is part of any "problem"

The only thing they should have done different this season, was have a veteran QB in place to play for Manning -- "just in case" -- well before the end of August.

2008 Bears 29 Colts 13

2009 Jaguars 12 Colts 14

2010 Texans 34 Colts 24

2011 Texans 34 Colts 7

Not at all...and it's not that the Colts don't care about preseason...they, just like all other teams do care very much about preseason. What they don't care about is WINNING in preseason. Winning preseason games is pointless. Using those games to evaluate individual performances in a game-time situation is invaluable.

Every season most colts fans think only the colts don't care about preseason because only THEY use it to evaluate.

Not true. All teams run it the same.

Players are evaluated in TRAINING camp. Come preseason over 95% of the roster is known. Only a few players are actually trying to make the team.

Preseason is to use what they learned in training camp (starters and rookies) and put it into live game conditions. There is a playbook thus game plan so the coach can see how its executed under game conditions. It's not the full playbook.

I seriously doubt the colts coaches don't care about the preseason.

The score doesn't matter but the play does.

preseason is strictly for finding players the chance to make the team and letting them show what they can do. This is how you find the players that can step in through out the season when needed wether be it from injuries or poor play by a starter and play at the level expected of them. Its not about winning preseason games. If they played the starters for extensive time and won the games and got someone hurt you would be mad and bashing them for that. this is where 2 and 3 string players learn to play on our team so in the season when the come in you say the team is deep and all their players can step in and play.

The preseason better be used to help get starters in sync or week 1 will look like a preseason game...oh wait it has for the last 4 years!

I don't think winning in the preseason is important but I think its very important to get the defense and offense playing well together.

2008 Bears 29 Colts 13

2009 Jaguars 12 Colts 14

2010 Texans 34 Colts 24

2011 Texans 34 Colts 7

We lost the Bears one because Peyton wasn't able to get his timing and chemistry down with the offense due to his bursa sac injury. As for the others, division games are always close, so I wouldn't say pre-season is the cause. Last year, we were simply unprepared for the Texans and Arian Foster, this year our entire team executed poorly.

It's only one game, surprised we lost no. We don't have Peyton, but our season is far from lost. We're a good football team and I don't know how some of you don't see it. There was some good out of everything bad we did last sunday. You can't tell because they were on the field for most of the game, but our defense has improved. Once we get going with something on offense we'll be fine. We beat ourselves sunday with turnovers