Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Vontae Davis Potentially Be Our Best CB Ever?

Dark Superman

Been a Colts fan since 94-95 season. Can't ever remember us having a "Shutdown" or even a Elite corner. We had decent players through the years, but certainly no Deion Sanders or Darrelle Revis' of my time. I like Vontae, and think if he's coached right he has all the intangibles to be a very solid corner in this league.

He has good size and speed and is stout against the run. Plays the ball well and seems to always be making a play. Could he be our best corner in at least the last 20 years? Maybe some of you older fans can help me out here.. I know we had Ray Buchanan at one time, but I can't remember how good or bad he was for us.

As good as Revis. Will be better than Revis this coming season.

Buchanon

Belser

Ambrose

Daniel

are the top four I have seen of previous teams.

I'll just say , I find it amazing that some of you are mentioning a guy that only played 4 years for us. Was never even listed as a starter and only played well some of his 4th and last year here. Indy chose to let hi sign with Cinn for a very modest contract as he was pretty much" jettisoned" out of Indy after giving up the long completion that led to Pitts late TD beating us in that AFCCG. 

I think he has the potential. I'm really excited to see what he can do with a full healthy season and more time in the system.

Now as for the conversation of tandems. 

Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis

Those are two of the greatest tandems ever if you ask me, and they all played many seasons together.

Big play Ray for now with a tip of the cap to guys like Nick Harper, Ashley Ambrose, Marlin Jackson, Eugene Daniel and Kelvin Hayden. 

Davis could surpass all of them if he lives up to his hype. 

The more you guys keep mentioning Ambrose , the more I will bring up that his career was with Cinn not Indy. It's like saying Stevie Brown was a great safety for the Colts. One more time ... the guy had like 6 good games for the Colts. Cinn. signed him  on the cheap after the Colts  threw him to the curb. His misplay lead to Pitt scoring the winning TD in the AFCCG. He was never even listed ahead od Eugene Daniel as our starting CB. 

To bad we lost Tim jennings(who would have ever known he become a pro bowl player). Vontae still has a lot to prove in my mind.

Tim Jennings was made good by his Bears teammates. It was a far stronger defense running the similar cover-2 scheme as Colts but with much better talent level and execution.

Remember the 09 Broncos game Jennings was asked to cover Brondon Marshall and the later just broke the NFL single game reception record? Marshall was almost moving freely with Jennings hanging on his back. Everybody asked Jennings to be cut at the time and he did get cut after being burnt in the Superbowl loss.

Best CB I ever saw play for the Colts was Norm Thompson in Balitmore All Pro almost ever year.  The best tandam of CB's Thompson & Nelson Muncie, Chuck Muncie's brother, they where great & fun to watch both could cover & hit, with a very good D-line the Sack pack. 2nd Buchconan & Ambrose 3rd Harper and Jackson 4th Jackson & Haydan

Best CB I ever saw play for the Colts was Norm Thompson in Balitmore All Pro almost ever year.  The best tandam of CB's Thompson & Nelson Muncie, Chuck Muncie's brother, they where great & fun to watch both could cover & hit, with a very good D-line the Sack pack. 2nd Buchconan & Ambrose 3rd Harper and Jackson 4th Jackson & Haydan

Norm Thompson ? All Pro ? You are kidding I hope. Thompson ans Muncie were probably then worst CB tandem in the NFL. Ambrose as I've stated about 8 times now played 4 years for the Colts maybe started 5 games. You and many others have forgotton that he was a stud with Cinnn and not the Colts.

Norm Thompson ? All Pro ? You are kidding I hope. Thompson ans Muncie were probably then worst CB tandem in the NFL. Ambrose as I've stated about 8 times now played 4 years for the Colts maybe started 5 games. You and many others have forgotton that he was a stud with Cinnn and not the Colts.

Check it out bud Norm was an all star more then once & He & Muncie were very good not sure what you where watchin. Also doesn't matter that Ambrose was here 4 years by his last year he & Buchcanan were good. JUST MY OPPION

Check it out bud Norm was an all star more then once & He & Muncie were very good not sure what you where watchin. Also doesn't matter that Ambrose was here 4 years by his last year he & Buchcanan were good. JUST MY OPPION

Please... give this nonsense to one of your buddies. They were absolutey terrible and that defensive backfield cost the Colts a possible championship. They had a deadly offense , great D line and pretty good LBS. It was often said back then "if only they had a guy or two that could knock down a pass."

Norm Thmpson. I can find no All Pro Teams he was named to , yet alone "allmost every year" as you claim. For sure never received any honors when he played with the Colts. You're welcome to post the awards he won as a Colt. He played a whopping 3 years for the Colts. They were his last 3 years as he was 32 years old when he came over from St Louis. According to Pro Football Reference .com He only started for the Colts the first two years he was here and was a back up in his 3rd and final year.

Muncie had a 6 year career in the NFL. He started 4 of those years and was well below average on mostly bad  teams. He 7 ints in his abbreviated 6 year career.

So did I or Bud as you call me do Ok with your nonsense ? And don't worry about what I was watching , as I said feed your nonsense to somebody that didn't watch the Colts back then.

....can anyone think of any that im missing? Did anyone (worth mentioning) play alongside Jason "No Neck' Belser?

I can think of two who had a t least a couple years alongside Belser. Mike Prior, and Eugene Daniel. Though I'd probably not consider either 'worthy' they were good players. Prior a Buc draft in 7th and Daniel for the Colts in an 8th round. Daniel did not start for many seasons, but still got a lot of playing time. He seemed so high risk, high reward player to me. He recorded 8 interceptions coming off the bench one year. I believe he started his last 6-7 years in the league. He we a fan favorite, to cheer and sometimes jeer. ;) He long held longevity records with the Colts, long since passed by Peyton Manning. 12 years as a DB and you had to be at least decent because that many years service is Bailey, Woodson type stuff.

Edit ** -Prior was a safety, i think Chris Goode played?  I barely remember him, so he didn't impress me back then.

Marlin Jackson may not have lived up to his potential with injuries, etc. but he made the most memorable play of any Colts CB, picking Brady in the AFCCG...

edit... Jackson may have actually been playing safety during that season...

but he played CB too...

Jackson was playing nickel corner.

Eugene Daniel is by far the best all around CB to play in Indy.     IMO.   Ray would have been had he stayed.

I think Davis is going to be really good in the coming years.    I am glad Indy traded to bring him in.  

Eugene Daniel had a pretty good career. I don't think you could call him elite, but he was on some really terrible teams..