Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Lead up

Hi I was wondering if this thread to monitor any interviews we have with draft prospects up and until the draft whether it's at the combine or at the senior bowl etc.

Can someone pin this please?

Thanks 

Best way to get something pinned is to send a private message to someone like Nadine and politely ask.....

So far we have:

Syracuse safety Shamarko Thomas

Pittsburgh running back Ray Graham

Virginia Tech wide receiver Corey Fuller

James Madison guard Earl Watford

Kansas State Linebacker Arthur Brown

North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams

Rice Tight End Vance McDonald

Texas Defensive End Alex Okafor 

Same question I had for these posts last year: does anyone keep track of how often the players who get interviewed or "looked at" actually get drafted when they are "best available" at the Colts turns to draft?

If memory serves, there was minimal, if any, correlation between the list of players drafted and those on this kind of list. But I could just be remembering the old Polian bait and switch methods...

Because of brinksmanship Schwamm, no GM would want that list kept or catagorized. There will always be miss direction and disinformation. to keep the guys behind your current pick guessing. One advantage to that, if they are afraid they are going to lose their guy to you, they might want to trade up strengthing your hand in trade negotiations, so in essence you are increasing your picks value.

Because of brinksmanship Schwamm, no GM would want that list kept or catagorized. There will always be miss direction and disinformation. to keep the guys behind your current pick guessing. One advantage to that, if they are afraid they are going to lose their guy to you, they might want to trade up strengthing your hand in trade negotiations, so in essence you are increasing your picks value.
I totally get the idea GMs want/need to keep their intentions close to the vest. Not my point.

I just wonder why we spend so much time chasing down every tidbit of info on every player my cousin's daughter's preschool teacher's husband's coworker mentioned might be on the Colt's draft radar... When the correlation between players that end up on our lists, and those actually drafted is (if memory serves) very low. I'm not even sure the list tells us anything about the types of players the team really wants. I'm probably just not getting the point.

On the other hand, I usually eagerly read all these threads, and participate in many, so... if it's about filling time before the draft, and being excited about possibilities, I'm on the same page.

When the Colts start bringing in people for private workouts around combine time, that will be a little more telling of their intentions I believe. A scout's job is to go through everyone with a keen eye and find quality players no matter the position. But this is a fun list to keep track of for sure.

So far we have:

Harding Linebacker Ty Powell

I totally get the idea GMs want/need to keep their intentions close to the vest. Not my point.

I just wonder why we spend so much time chasing down every tidbit of info on every player my cousin's daughter's preschool teacher's husband's coworker mentioned might be on the Colt's draft radar... When the correlation between players that end up on our lists, and those actually drafted is (if memory serves) very low. I'm not even sure the list tells us anything about the types of players the team really wants. I'm probably just not getting the point.

On the other hand, I usually eagerly read all these threads, and participate in many, so... if it's about filling time before the draft, and being excited about possibilities, I'm on the same page.

I think I get what youre saying now.....There is probably no direct answer to your question, other than to say, we are fans! We cant make the pass, the run, the tackle....we feel they are "our team" and we want to be involved emotionally and cerebrally in some way, in offering our opinion on why they pick who they do/ or in this case who they should pick is one of the ways we can feel "a part" of what is happening (not to mention some bragging rights when you get it correct) :)

add Lane Johnson OT from Oklahoma (according to walterfootball) to that list

We'll have to trade up to get him. If Matthews and/or Lewan hadn't returned to school, Lane could've fallen to us.

Arthur Brown will cost us our 1st rounder, but there's a chance we can make a move to get in the 2nd if he slips.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI:

Possible cap casualties: In his first season at the helm of the Colts, general manager Ryan Grigson made the decision to part ways with several veterans, many of whom had recently signed multi-year extensions. As a result, the Colts had around $40 million in "dead" money on last year's cap. Cap Space: (43.79 million)

With over $40 million in available space in 2013, the Colts won't have to make similar cuts. However, if Grigson really wants some additional space, a quick way to do that would be to convert Robert Mathis' $3 million roster bonus, which is due on March 14, into a signing bonus. By prorating that amount over the three years that remain on Mathis' current contract, the Colts would gain an additional $2 million in cap space in 2013, but would add $1 million to his 2014 and 2015 cap numbers. With this much cap space, though, there's no reason to push cap dollars into future seasons.

Unrestricted free agents

Donnie Avery, WR
Darius Butler, CB
Austin Collie, WR
Moise Fokou, LB
Dwight Freeney, LB
Tony Hills, OT
Antonio Johnson, NT
Winston Justice, OT
Pat McAfee, P
Fili Moala, DL
Mewelde Moore, RB
Jerraud Powers, CB
Drew Stanton, QB
Jamaal Westerman, LB

Restricted free agents

A.J. Edds, LB
Jeff Linkenbach, G/T
Seth Olsen, G
Cassius Vaughn, CB

RFA tender amounts in 2013 are:

• $1.323 million for right of first refusal and/or original draft round compensation
• $2.023 for right of first refusal and second round draft selection
• $2.879 for right of first refusal and first round draft selection

So far we have:

Harding Linebacker Ty Powell

Powell look interesting. 6-3 250 and had 8.5 sacks. He certainly looks the part of a 3-4 OLB.

Williams also looks like a beast. 14 tfl and 6 sacks from the DT position.

i like Dion Jordan, he looks comfortable on space and its used to play standing up and can drop and not look completely lost...he didnt have a "glamorous" game vs standford on the video that gavin showedbut i still like to get him :) ...where is he projected to go?

i like Dion Jordan, he looks comfortable on space and its used to play standing up and can drop and not look completely lost...he didnt have a "glamorous" game vs standford on the video that gavin showedbut i still like to get him :) ...where is he projected to go?

How many off these DE/OLB look great dropping back into coverage right out of college?  The more I read about him the more I wound't mind us drafting him if our front office believes he can be our franchise pass rusher.  I'd be wary about his height and how that affects his agility, but if he can play then why not take him?

At this point he is looking like a lock for the top 15....with many having him higher

• 2 weeks later...

Rayon Simmons Jr., RB out of Winona State: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/3/6/4070974/2013-nfl-draft-colts-scouts-have-been-busy-of-late

According to the same guy referenced above, we are at USF's pro day: https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ESidery&tw_i=309127454730092544&tw_p=tweetembed

Guys that are draftable from USF: Cory Grissom, DT, 6'1", 306 - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689563/cory-grissom

Kayvon Webster, CB, 5'11", 195:

Excerpts: South Florida cornberback Kayvon Webster has such high-regard for Champ Bailey's press coverage skills he will often proclaim “Champ has arrived at practice,” when he's asked to jam a receiver at the line. Renowned for his physical prowess and ability to press receivers, Webster is one of the most intense, aggressive corners in the Big East. It's one reason why Webster earned All-Big East second team honors last season. Despite the accolades Webster remains humble, but hungry. “I haven't done anything yet,” Webster said. To that end, Webster worked arduously with Dallas Cowboys and former USF cornerback Mike Jenkins throughout the summer. Jenkins provided helpful tips on reading a quarterback's drop steps, focusing on the direction of a quarterback's shoulders and anticipating a reciever's break. Webster said the pointers will help him close quicker on the ball. The 5-foot-11, 198 pound senior has been an integral part of the defense since arriving on campus in 2009. As a true freshman, Webster recorded 30 tackles and an interception in six starts. In 2011, Webster finished with two interceptions and seven pass break-ups. In Webster's first two seasons he had just two break-ups combined. Though Webster places team goals ahead of individual pursuits, he could become the conference's top NFL draft prospect at corner with a spectacular season. In order to get there, Jenkins, the former USF corner, has implored Webster to remain self-assured when playing on an island. “He told me just to believe in myself and play with confidence,” Webster said. - Matt Rybaltowski, CBSSports.com

How many off these DE/OLB look great dropping back into coverage right out of college? The more I read about him the more I wound't mind us drafting him if our front office believes he can be our franchise pass rusher. I'd be wary about his height and how that affects his agility, but if he can play then why not take him?

The last thing you need to worry about Jordan is his agility. He came out of HS as a receiver and athleticism is still guess strength. He won't get past 10 though, do no reason to discuss him.