Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This site states it is a 2nd AND 6th to Dolphins for Vontae Davis

chad72

Colts might not have made the playoffs without him.

well we were with out him for 6 games and we went 4-2 in those 6 games. 1 of those losses was to new england and the other to the jets. Jets game we got beat with the run game, and new england just flat out beat us and would have even with him playing. i think they could still have made the playoffs without him. but who really knows.

Who do you see being available near the end of the second round that will be better than Davis?

defensively??? im not really sure BUT given the fact that both Talib and Samuel were had for later round picks i think the colts just jumped on it alittle prematurely because they knew they needed a CB on the other side of powers. gotta remember before that trade happened they were pushing for mike jenkins from dallas and at one point it was reported both teams were close on a deal before reports started saying the cowboys did not want to trade him. stupid move by dallas if you ask me though, could have gotten a draft pick or two for him instead of losing him in free agency. if im not mistaken we got davis a week or two before the season started after almost a month of the mike jenkins talks. i honestly believe davis could have been had for a 4th, 6th and possibly a 2014 3rd round or 4th round pick. especially since miami was really wanting to get rid of him because of his issues in miami.

So 1,3,4,6, and 7 + Maybe a compensatory pick or 2?

brings me back to when i said at the beginning of the year we NEEDED to trade freeney. 12 tackles and 5 sacks is really not a good season at all. not for a starter that is. we could have gotten maybe a 3rd round pick for him or someone who was desperate for a 4-3 DE and maybe robbed them of a 2nd round pick ( bit of a reach there but who knows). point is it would have given us more draft picks. now i dont think we get anything in return except cap space

brings me back to when i said at the beginning of the year we NEEDED to trade freeney. 12 tackles and 5 sacks is really not a good season at all. not for a starter that is. we could have gotten maybe a 3rd round pick for him or someone who was desperate for a 4-3 DE and maybe robbed them of a 2nd round pick ( bit of a reach there but who knows). point is it would have given us more draft picks. now i dont think we get anything in return except cap space

I'm sure they tried to trade him. I'm sure his contract scared most teams off

Trading Freeney was difficult because the other team would also have to pay Freeney his  $14,035,000.00 base salary.  And our FO was wanting 'fair value' too in return. In the end, other teams felt the price was too high for a guy where his better days may well be behind him.  No win situation for us.

^ ^ ^ This! ^ ^ ^

Grigson made the right move because I heard that same very thing about Hilton.  Grigson already lost one on his board due to waiting (supposedly a corner) and wasn't about to lose another.  

And Davis is worth the #2 we traded.

Fair enough then.  I hadn't read about another team saying they were going to draft him so if that was the case, then definitely good move by Grigson to get the player he wanted.  Oh and the CB they were going to draft was Casey Hayward.  I believe the Packers traded just in front of us and grabbed him.  So ultimately, if there's a player they feel that strongly about then I would rather them spend a little to move up and make sure they get that guy rather than taking the chance that he falls to us. :)

Fair enough then.  I hadn't read about another team saying they were going to draft him so if that was the case, then definitely good move by Grigson to get the player he wanted.  Oh and the CB they were going to draft was Casey Hayward.  I believe the Packers traded just in front of us and grabbed him.  So ultimately, if there's a player they feel that strongly about then I would rather them spend a little to move up and make sure they get that guy rather than taking the chance that he falls to us. :)

I have to agree.  A lot of moves, I didn't disagree with them, but was somewhat skeptical.  Grigson has proven my skepticism to be unwarranted in almost every case.  He can't be perfect, but he's been so very darn good so far....

Oh, BTW. that Hayward guy would have been a nice fit over here, you think?   :yes:

Will we get a comp pick if Dwight's contract expires and he goes to another team?

That was my understanding as well, and I agree that Grigson did well with both trades.  I definitely think we came out ahead in both, though I'm not quite as sure about the trade up for Hilton.  Granted I have no idea where other teams had Hilton graded but my thinking is he likely could have still been there for our normal pick.  However, I do like the fact that he had a player he really wanted and didn't want to miss out on so he did what he had to do to get him.  And I definitely do think that Hilton was a great addition...just not sure we actually had to trade up to get him.  No way of knowing for sure though.

I was pretty ticked that we traded up too. I remember wanted Courtney Upshaw to come play for the colts under Pags.

I have to say, I was wrong. I love TY. kid is YAC all daaaaay.