Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Strategy?

coltfaninnewyork

The most obvious way to beat a 3-4 is to run it up the middle. But, I think the Colts come out throwing short/intermediate passes and let Collins get into a rhythm. Hit Addai with the screen when Williams rushes in. Then use Carter to wear down that front 7 with the up the middle runs. Then stretch the field with Addai.

I would like to see Clark line up in the slot and Tamme at TE. Two big physical receiving threats to exploit the inside coverage. If Williams is going to be rushing every down I do not see how they can stop this. Someone has to get single coverage. That person will likely be Garcon. Collins has a pretty wicked pump fake and can look off the Safeties. Use that to hit Garcon with the big play downfield. BAM! Now that is big time football.

Just curious but how much influence/design/game planning is coach Caldwell doing with the "Collins" factor? I would be inclined to say Christensen and other line coaches qb coaches, etc. are probably doing more of the "design". Not that it matters but I am curious to know how much of a strategist you think Caldwell is in all this since he's not really known as an offensive genius or anything. My thought is he sticks to game-time decisions but has a hand in just some Offensive preparation.

Just curious but how much influence/design/game planning is coach Caldwell doing with the "Collins" factor? I would be inclined to say Christensen and other line coaches qb coaches, etc. are probably doing more of the "design". Not that it matters but I am curious to know how much of a strategist you think Caldwell is in all this since he's not really known as an offensive genius or anything. My thought is he sticks to game-time decisions but has a hand in just some Offensive preparation.

Caldwell is the head coach... He has his hands Everywhere.

I think we come out with a fullback and 2tightends and try to power run and control clock,your thoughts?

I don't know if I like this strategy. The 3-4 defense is inherently better against the run, by design, than the 4-3. While the Texans are still in transition, the 3-4 lends itself to clogging up running lanes with 3 large linemen and 4 roaming linebackers. They typically also go with more Safety play instead of running extra corners.

I think some measure of running will absolutely be necessary, but Collins will have a lot of passing weapons at his disposal. This is perhaps the healthiest we've been in 5 years on offense (outside of Peyton, obviously).

Diem on friday said colts fans are gonna be surprised to see how much collins has taken in... I take that as a good sign. The colts are gonna mix things up for sure.

Yea I think offensively we will be a more balanced attack running a tad bit more than when manning played. We need to get off the field on 3rd down. If our d plays like they did last yr we are in trouble

Running the ball will be key. People that say oh well the Texans have Wade now and he's a beast. But lets not forget that with this lockout everything has been compressed into a small window. It was already hard enough for teams that have lots of rookies or free agents to learn their playbook let alone changing defensive coordinators and changing the scheme at the same time. Collins,Clark, Addai,Carter, the O line, our defense, and whatever WR that gets open bc of Reggie's probable double team will all be key.

Yea I think offensively we will be a more balanced attack running a tad bit more than when manning played. We need to get off the field on 3rd down. If our d plays like they did last yr we are in trouble

yea definitely, i think one person whos gonna surprise alot of ppl is tyler brayton on rundowns.. that guy is really aggressive like seriously. I like him, the run defense should definitely be different this year.

I don't know if I like this strategy. The 3-4 defense is inherently better against the run, by design, than the 4-3. While the Texans are still in transition, the 3-4 lends itself to clogging up running lanes with 3 large linemen and 4 roaming linebackers. They typically also go with more Safety play instead of running extra corners.

I think some measure of running will absolutely be necessary, but Collins will have a lot of passing weapons at his disposal. This is perhaps the healthiest we've been in 5 years on offense (outside of Peyton, obviously).

The reason i thought this could be the strategy was the waiver pick up of the fullback gronkowski.I just thought it might ease the transition for collins since he is so far behind in learning the offense at this point.

The most obvious way to beat a 3-4 is to run it up the middle. But, I think the Colts come out throwing short/intermediate passes and let Collins get into a rhythm. Hit Addai with the screen when Williams rushes in. Then use Carter to wear down that front 7 with the up the middle runs. Then stretch the field with Addai.

I would like to see Clark line up in the slot and Tamme at TE. Two big physical receiving threats to exploit the inside coverage. If Williams is going to be rushing every down I do not see how they can stop this. Someone has to get single coverage. That person will likely be Garcon. Collins has a pretty wicked pump fake and can look off the Safeties. Use that to hit Garcon with the big play downfield. BAM! Now that is big time football.

Exactly what I was thinking..

On offense my bet is you'll play standard football. Mixing it up of course.

You're not a power run team so you'll run in the confines of standard football.

Collins has to at least play relatively mistake free and somewhat on in his passes and that remains to be seen.

My only question is how conservative it will be which it will in part at least.

Even with the above the defense will have to be top 10.

We need to score more point than the Texans :)

No really from what I've gathered you expect to see Collins under center vs. Manning in the shot gun. Also I don't think the Colts have been stock pilling players to try to run the ball for nothing so look for us to run the ball. I would also look for them to take some shots down the field with Collins, that's what he likes to do and I would look for them to try to get Garcon behind the Texans defense, just hope Kerry got the memo you have to make it a hard catch for him to hang on to it.

We need to score more point than the Texans :)

No really from what I've gathered you expect to see Collins under center vs. Manning in the shot gun. Also I don't think the Colts have been stock pilling players to try to run the ball for nothing so look for us to run the ball. I would also look for them to take some shots down the field with Collins, that's what he likes to do and I would look for them to try to get Garcon behind the Texans defense, just hope Kerry got the memo you have to make it a hard catch for him to hang on to it.

GoColts8818,weren't the colts very successful early in peyton's career with the max protect set?I think as peyton evolved we opened up.But i think your right i see them trying to run and then take some shots deep.

On offense my bet is you'll play standard football. Mixing it up of course.

You're not a power run team so you'll run in the confines of standard football.

Collins has to at least play relatively mistake free and somewhat on in his passes and that remains to be seen.

My only question is how conservative it will be which it will in part at least.

Even with the above the defense will have to be top 10.

We may try to be one,with the o-line upgrades,gronkowski the fullback and eldridge at TE who is like a lineman.I am not saying it will work but i think we will be better in the power run game{i forgot delone carter}.