Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Observations from todays game and season

TheJACKCOLT

1-The second Satele leaves the field and Shipley comes into the game, the O-line gets better. I do not undestand why Shipley is not the starting center 2-Linkenbach is very valuable to this team. I would like to see him starting at right guard in place of Mcglynn. 3- Davis gets better every week, and is our best CB by a longshot (although Vaughn and Butler) both played good today. Davis doesn't give up many yards after the catch and is great in run support 4- Seth Olsen has got to be the worst lineman in the league, at times he misses his man altogether, the only player that comes close to whiffing as much as this guy, is Mcglynn. I don't know why either guy would start over Linkenbach. 5- On Lockers long run on the first drive, The play was ran at Mathis and Freeney was running down the line at half speed, it looked like he thought someone else was going to make the play, I was very suprised by the lack of effort from Freeney. Had he hustled he would have ran the play down for a short gain. 6- Lefeged is much more atheletic than Zibikowski, and comes up to play the run in much more control and a better open field tackler. He also has better range in coverage. Would like to see him stay the starter. 7- Ballard was a beast today, What a pleasure it is to see the Colts able to get the needed first downs to close out games 8- The way the Titans D-line dominated the Colts O-line today in the first half, really worries me going into next week, against a much more dominant Texans D-line. Both of our lines will have to have their best games of the season, in order for us to have a chance next week against the Texans

if we get the colts defense from the second half to play 60 minutes next sunday. we have a legit shot at winning.

What I noticed was that our run defense was outstanding today. Their leading rusher was their QB thanks in large part to a huge run on a none designed run. We held Johnson to under 50 yards and didn't bite once on his cut backs which is what used to kill the Colts. Now Foster is a different animal but if we can get that kind of run defense again that would be HUGE.

Locker was not nearly as crisp as he was in the first half and we took advantage of that resulting in two key INTs. I don't know if we are going to get Schaub to be off like that so we MUST get pressure on him. If we don't he's just going to throw it up to Johnson and let him go get it and that has killed our secondary this year.

We try too many long passes. Our line does not allow Luck the time to hold the ball that long. He needs to get rid of the ball quickly or roll out. The long passes are going to get him hurt.

It's not always just long passes, they were pressing up on so many plays that even a swing pass to Reggie (a lateral, BTW, could have been fumbled) went for an immediate -6 yards. I even joked mid game, I've heard of 8 in the box, but 11 in the box? (they were all that close and db's forcing receivers to the outside position) Receivers just weren't getting open quickly very often, with no window to fit it in unless you're a fan of even more interceptions. We had to get a running game going (we did) and take some shots downfield (we did) to open space between linebackers and db's. This to allow a PA fake to buy time for receivers to get some separation in more open space.

While they had momentum and were pressing close, even 3 step drop routes would have been contested and defensed.

Rimington award winner Shipley cut by Pitt & Philly. Our GM knew him.

Super bright, tested as Athletic at the combine, voted top lineman in the Big Ten and was a late 7th rd pick. ????

Has SHORT Arms.

A situation where ZIB and Samson might help us best, on the bench?

Link has a History of being a Horrible/Terrible/Whiff Master as a pass blocker. Period!!

He showed a little ability as a run blocker, no that much, he is a constant threat to the health and well being of Luck.

Seems like most every team has numerous O-Lineman out with injury. You hang your hat on who you got for next man up.

We have Olson & Link. Arghhhh!

My thoughts......

We are insanely thin at RB. Ballard is beast, but we have to have some backup.

Shipley has been outplaying Satele for sure. Just work on the snaps.

I was commenting on how bad Vaughn was, then he makes the INT on the slant.

Davis played extremely well. He'll need to keep this up!

Great run D. We're going to need to play gaps like this vs. the Texans!

AQ and Link actually protected Luck better than Satele & Justice. I saw marginal improvement in the line when they went out. It wasn't a whole lot of improvement but better.

Cassius was getting ripped before the INT, and it has been consistently happening game after game. But after that he played with some confidence and was playing quite decently. Having Vontae, Cassius, and Butler all play decently today gives me some confidence down the road.

Manusky actually has quite the gameplan. I saw a totally different defensive scheme from first half to second half and a big reason why we won the game. It looked like Manusky had a base defense for the first half and then the second half, he was throwing everything at Locker, and it worked.

We need a Big & Physical WR like a Julio, AJ. Oh wait.... Dwayne Bowe is a FA this year. We should consider him. Need us a fade WR in the redzone

We have a big tall TE(that IMO is more of a WR than TE), but Arians refuses to use him in the redzone, so I don't really think bringing in another tall WR is going to make any difference.

We have a big tall TE(that IMO is more of a WR than TE), but Arians refuses to use him in the redzone, so I don't really think bringing in another tall WR is going to make any difference.

I know we have Fleener. But like you said, Arians won't use him. I don't want us to sign Mike Wallace. We don't need all these small WR's. The smurfs we have now are fine. No more small WR's

I know we have Fleener. But like you said, Arians won't use him. I don't want us to sign Mike Wallace. We don't need all these small WR's. The smurfs we have now are fine. No more small WR's

Agreed, we don't need anymore small speedy WR's, but IMO, we don't need anymore WR's at all. Arians just really needs to use Fleeners size to our advantage.