Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Surprise, Peyton Officially Ruled Out/possible Second Surgery (Merged & Closed)

chad72

We now have three reports: 1 says Manning had procedure, season over. Another says he will have procedure, season in doubt the last report says he will have surgery and his season likely over.

quoted from stampedeblue on twitter

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

news is that manning's season might be over!!!! heres the link!

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/7/2410947/report-peyton-manning-out-for-entire-2011-season

time to draft a qb next year?

gutted

This is our worst fear, as long as he could come back 100% in the future, one missed

season is fine with me. I just don't want Manning to end his career with this injury.

im not sure if this has already been discussed, but i think the present situation with Peyton warrants it at the very least.

Peyton's recovery is still uncertain, and since nerve damage is so uncertain there is speculation that he may never heal. Of course my hope and prayer is that he does recover and is able to return without missing more than one season at most.

However, due to the uncertainty, this thought crossed my mind. Would there ever be a situation in which it would be practical to "throw the season," secure the number 1 pick, and draft Andrew Luck. Im not ready to retire Peyton yet, and I hope he plays for a few more years, but this neck thing could shorten or end his career. But Andrew Luck appears to be the best QB college prospect since Peyton in my opinion, and a big part of me thinks we should try to get the first pick, draft Luck, and let him study under Peyton for a few years.

im not sure if this has already been discussed, but i think the present situation with Peyton warrants it at the very least.

Peyton's recovery is still uncertain, and since nerve damage is so uncertain there is speculation that he may never heal. Of course my hope and prayer is that he does recover and is able to return without missing more than one season at most.

However, due to the uncertainty, this thought crossed my mind. Would there ever be a situation in which it would be practical to "throw the season," secure the number 1 pick, and draft Andrew Luck. Im not ready to retire Peyton yet, and I hope he plays for a few more years, but this neck thing could shorten or end his career. But Andrew Luck appears to be the best QB college prospect since Peyton in my opinion, and a big part of me thinks we should try to get the first pick, draft Luck, and let him study under Peyton for a few years.

Only problem with Collins at QB we are a 4-5 or even 6 win team and there is no way Cincy wins that many games and you can bet if they have the number 1 pick they take the Stanford QB and trade the kid they took this past year. The chances of the Colts getting the number 1 pick is slim and slim is leaving.....

If the situation should arrive where we were down to the last game or two of the regular season and losing those games secured a #1 pick, then I could see throwing the end of the season.

But, I wouldn't want the Colts to deliberately throw the entire season. Doesn't sound very sportsman like to me.

And, how do you ask Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, etc. not to play to their full potential? These guys are professional athletes who take pride in their performance on the field.

Why are some Colts fans acting like Peyton missing a game or two is the end of the world? I have watched other teams with great quarterbacks lose them for lengthy times and still win enough games without them to be strong contenders at the end of the season. And I fully expect the Colts to do just that this year. I see Colins starting maybe 4 games, and winning at least 2 of them. Then Peyton comes back and looks stale for a couple of weeks, but the Colts end up 11 and 5, win the division, and maybe go all the way. Maybe not. Maybe they may not make the playoffs. Maybe the Patriots won't either, or the Cowboys, or even the Packers. The season is just beginning, folks! Look up! It is not the end of the world.

It is like, because he has been such an iron man, this was never supposed to happen. It is unrealistic to think he would never be down sometimes as he gets older. But he still has at least four good years left in him.

Why are some Colts fans acting like Peyton missing a game or two is the end of the world? I have watched other teams with great quarterbacks lose them for lengthy times and still win enough games without them to be strong contenders at the end of the season. And I fully expect the Colts to do just that this year. I see Colins starting maybe 4 games, and winning at least 2 of them. Then Peyton comes back and looks stale for a couple of weeks, but the Colts end up 11 and 5, win the division, and maybe go all the way. Maybe not. Maybe they may not make the playoffs. Maybe the Patriots won't either, or the Cowboys, or even the Packers. The season is just beginning, folks! Look up! It is not the end of the world.

It is like, because he has been such an iron man, this was never supposed to happen. It is unrealistic to think he would never be down sometimes as he gets older. But he still has at least four good years left in him.

Did you hear the news? If Manning has another surgery it will be much longer than 4 weeks. Probably the season. Not 100% confirmed yet I guess.

From Jake Query, radio 1260 WNDE in Indianapolis:

What I said: A source I consider reliable told me he is out for the season. I do believe that the actual diagnosis is still being determined

Query says his source told him Manning had the procedure (past tense) last Sunday

Will Carroll of SI.com says he knows of no change in Manning's status, save that he is no longer with the team at the facility.

Laura Callaway tweeted this:

ESPN's Adam Schefter: "One Colts official texted me this: 'We are aware of the rumors, but can't confirm rumors. That is all they are.'"

The chose of words is interesting. They cannot confirm the report, but they are not denying it. If the report is false, an upfront 'That is completely untrue' statement from the Colts ends the rumor. By not doing that, and by, essentially, implying there is some truth to them

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/7/2410947/report-peyton-manning-out-for-entire-2011-season

first comment to article

Jay Glazer just retweeted the report, which makes it look even more ominous

well now one of two things will happen. either the colts prove to everyone that they can still play at a high level even without peyton or we end up having early draft picks and add more talent to an already talented team. either one is a positive.

well now one of two things will happen. either the colts prove to everyone that they can still play at a high level even without peyton or we end up having early draft picks and add more talent to an already talented team. either one is a positive.

Yep only major downside (other than no Peyton for a year clearly) is that we aren't going to a Super Bowl in our own city.

Im trying to figure out why high draft picks are good compensation here? We all have seen what this team has done with its first round picks in recent years...

a series of reaches and head-scratchers.

yea and a lot of good ones as well in the first round like wayne,freeney,edge and of course peyton. brown and hudges are still young. wait a couple of years before writing them off.

This is why you give Collins 14M over two years to come out of retirement. It's gotta be a dream job for him under the circumstances & he's a capable QB with more weapons at his disposal than he's ever had. I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up in Manning's absence. My guess is there's gonna be a lot of Colts playing inspired ball for Manning as well as wanting to help Kerry Collins. I love all of our improvements on defense, the O-line and at RB. I don't believe this season will near as rough as some think.

:ref: There is zero chance in the Colts getting the number one pick next year even if Peyton never takes a snap, there are other teams worse then a possible Manningless Colts. Second, I am baffled as to why people are shocked by this. As soon as I saw Peyton wasn't able to do anything come Preseason I knew we were in trouble and then for the doctors to shut him down after just a week or so of soft throwing was the Red flag. It's sad we won't be an elite team this year, but I look at the positive side, come Nov and Dec there should be a ton of cheaper tix available on web sites and such and maybe I will finally get to see a live Colts game.

This is why you give Collins 14M over two years to come out of retirement. It's gotta be a dream job for him under the circumstances & he's a capable QB with more weapons at his disposal than he's ever had. I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up in Manning's absence. My guess is there's gonna be a lot of Colts playing inspired ball for Manning as well as wanting to help Kerry Collins. I love all of our improvements on defense, the O-line and at RB. I don't believe this season will near as rough as some think.

a dream job would be a team with a decent o-line and run game. here, hes a sitting duck.

that was a different time. we haven't made picks like that in a long time.

we took addai in 06 and hes a verry effective runner when he gets backs. a very good pass catcher, and the best blocking rb in the game. gonzo in 07 was doing very well with us before he started to get hurt. all im saying is yes brown and hudges have struggled but that doesnt mean their bad. give them time

I am keeping the faith. I think we still can squeeze into the Playoffs with Collins. If Collins goes down. It will be painful to watch Painter, but I will still watch. I still bleed blue, I have other favorite players other then Manning. Like Freeney he is my favorite player on the team. We still have others on the team that could shine the unknowns.

Heck, maybe Painter will let me in my words? Stranger things has happened. I am sorta disappointed with the Colts though. I don't know why they even have not drafted a young QB? Let Manning Polish him up, the Colts should have known better. That the day would come like today? They should have known that he would not play forever. They should have drafted a young QB. Let him sit, like the Packers did with Rodgers. They should have let Manning groom him up. No, they stuck with Painter and they did not even draft a young stud QB. Now look where we could be at? But I am keeping the faith. I am not buying that Manning is out for season until I hear it from the Colts or Manning himself.

If he is out, I think we go 7-7 at the best, but I think we will go 5-11. Andrew Luck?

why would the colts wast a pick on andrew luck? come on man. you expect the colts to pay a QB top dollar to sit behind peyton? the only way that happens is if the colts are are second guessing peytons future career.

why would the colts wast a pick on andrew luck? come on man. you expect the colts to pay a QB top dollar to sit behind peyton? the only way that happens is if the colts are are second guessing peytons future career.

well it wouldnt be top dollar if im not mistaken i think newton only got 22 m for 4 years

I am keeping the faith. I think we still can squeeze into the Playoffs with Collins. If Collins goes down. Then I will throw in the towel for the season with Painter. I sorta disappointed with the Colts. I don't know why they even have not drafted a young QB? Let Manning Polish him up, the Colts should have known better. That the day would come like today? They should have known that he would not play forever. They should have drafted a young QB. Let him sit, like the Packers did with Rodgers. They should have let Manning groom him up. No, they stuck with Painter and they did not even draft a young stud QB. Now look where we could be at? But I am keeping the faith. I am not buying that Manning is out for season until I hear it from the Colts or Manning himself.

Why do that? by the time that guy would start he would be 27 or 28 thats a pure waste.

I hope this is not true, it will be hard to watch a full season of football without Peyton playing. What i dont understand is why cant the team come out and say what is going on one way or the other? Do they get any advantage out of all this speculation? If they give daily updates there wont be any rumours flying around, in my opinion this is unfair to the fans.

If he is out, I think we go 7-7 at the best, but I think we will go 5-11. Andrew Luck?

I hate to tell ya, but 5-11 wouldn't get the 1st pick in the draft. Have you seen Cincy, Carolina, Seattle, San Fran, and Buffalo? The Colts would probably have to go winless to get Luck and thats not gonna happen.