Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Surprise, Peyton Officially Ruled Out/possible Second Surgery (Merged & Closed)

chad72

eh , steelers went what, 3-1 without ben last year? you should just trust the rest of your talent

i've seen too many people acting like indy is just a one man team

simply not true

I am so tired of people trying to say look at the Steelers and what they did with Big Ben last year and trying to say that is what the Colts should do this year, they are different situations. For starters the Colts and Steelers are not built the same way. I would agree with you that Peyton Manning is not our only good player but the team IS built around Manning. The Steelers are NOT built around Big Ben. They are built around their defense and running game and Big Ben is a very nice compliment to those peaces. When the Steelers lost the guy their defense is built around, Troy Polamalu they struggled a lot, that situation would be closer to what the Colts are facing without Manning. Losing Big Ben to Steelers is like when the Colts lost Marvin Harrison, it hurts but it's something the team can over come. Next thing Big Ben is NOT Peyton Manning and is not going to go down as one of the greatest QBs of all-time like Manning is. Yes Big Ben is very good but he is in that group below Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and I would even throw Rivers in there as the true elite QBs in the NFL right now. He gets thrown into that group because he's been on a team that won two Super Bowls but most people would tell you their Defense had more to do with them winning those Super Bowls than Ben did and even Big Ben has admited the Steelers won their first one inspite of him. So no what the Colts are facing now without Manning is not the same as what the Steelers faced last year without Big Ben.

With that said no Manning is not our only good player. I think you are going to see a team that is going to rally around that. They are going to be tired of being told how much they stink wthout Manning and how they have no chance and the Colts are going to give the Texans more of a game than many fans think they are going to give them on Sunday. I don't know if it'll be enough to win the game but it wouldn't shock me if it was. I'll hold back my opinion on what is going to happen from there till I see what we look like without Manning on Sunday.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to give it any credence. Which isn't to say I'm not concerned and that he might not play this season, just that this report isn't credible to me.

This was posted on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82209234/article/colts-owner-refutes-radio-report-of-second-manning-surgery?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay shot down a Wednesday radio report that quarterback Peyton Manning had another procedure performed on his neck.

Jake Query, a radio host for WNDE-AM in Indianapolis, tweeted early in the day that Manning would miss the season, adding in another post "I was also told the 3rd procedure has taken place, either Sun or Monday."

That prompted a response from Irsay in the evening.

"Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon," Irsay tweeted.

The Colts announced Wednesday that Manning will miss Sunday's season opener against the Houston Texans as he tries to recover from neck surgery he had in May. That means Manning's streak of 227 consecutive starts will end."

The Colts being honest (okay well the honest part has yet to be totally proven) and forth coming about information in regards to an injury...that's a new one...I am not sure how I feel about this...

Some of you make me wonder. You sound like all the Colts have to do is go out there and grab a great college qb and groom him for a couple of years, and he will be the next Peyton Manning.

Some of you even sound like if you could be guaranteed a good qb in next year's draft, you would dump Manning now and throw away the season. Sad.

Don't you recall the Washington Redskins game (I believe in '07) where everybody was scared to death when somebody bent Peyton into this awkward position, pulling his neck backwards and pushing his body all out of shape? He looked hurt and dazed, but went back in and devoured Washington. However, that was the beginning of the woes.

2006, I remember that game like yesterday. It was some of the worst officating I have ever seen. The series before that Freeney got his first sack of the year and barely touched Mark Brunnel's helmet and they called him for roughing the passer. I have ZERO issue with that flag because it's in the rules you touch the QB's helmet it's a flag. Then Manning get's his head ripped off and no flag came out. It was a joke. I didn't like Pete Morelli very much before that but I couldn't stand him after that.

Peyton came out and then torched the Skins in the second half I remember the write up in the power rankings that week. "Note to the Redskins don't make Peyton Manning mad."

I am so tired of people trying to say look at the Steelers and what they did with Big Ben last year and trying to say that is what the Colts should do this year, they are different situations. For starters the Colts and Steelers are not built the same way. I would agree with you that Peyton Manning is not our only good player but the team IS built around Manning. The Steelers are NOT built around Big Ben. They are built around their defense and running game and Big Ben is a very nice compliment to those peaces. When the Steelers lost the guy their defense is built around, Troy Polamalu they struggled a lot, that situation would be closer to what the Colts are facing without Manning. Losing Big Ben to Steelers is like when the Colts lost Marvin Harrison, it hurts but it's something the team can over come. Next thing Big Ben is NOT Peyton Manning and is not going to go down as one of the greatest QBs of all-time like Manning is. Yes Big Ben is very good but he is in that group below Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and I would even throw Rivers in there as the true elite QBs in the NFL right now. He gets thrown into that group because he's been on a team that won two Super Bowls but most people would tell you their Defense had more to do with them winning those Super Bowls than Ben did and even Big Ben has admited the Steelers won their first one inspite of him. So no what the Colts are facing now without Manning is not the same as what the Steelers faced last year without Big Ben.

With that said no Manning is not our only good player. I think you are going to see a team that is going to rally around that. They are going to be tired of being told how much they stink wthout Manning and how they have no chance and the Colts are going to give the Texans more of a game than many fans think they are going to give them on Sunday. I don't know if it'll be enough to win the game but it wouldn't shock me if it was. I'll hold back my opinion on what is going to happen from there till I see what we look like without Manning on Sunday.

Would you compare the situation more so to when Brady was out after this knee problems?

Lets play some games first before we all declare this a lost cause and move to Canada or something.

But they have horse-themed teams up there too! And "Les Canadiens sont la". National Healthcare would be nice. The cold might dull the pain somewhat.:D

cal_away0753.png

I'm not a bridge jumper myself, but after investing several years trying to convince Giant's fans over here that Collins isn't "all that", just the thought of having to root for him on Sunday makes me want to :barf:. I'm hoping that even if Peyton has a second procedure they keep him on the roster. Bring him back in week 13. By that point Collins will probably have been snapped clean in two by the Steelers or somebody anyway.

Would you compare the situation more so to when Brady was out after this knee problems?

No that's different too. Every team is different because as good as Brady is the Pats aren't built around him. They are built around their head coach if that makes sense. Also, people tend to completely under rate Brady's defense at the time. Those guys were very good and were even better in big games. I am not going to say Brady had nothing to do with it because that wouldn't be fair to Brady, after all Drew Beldsoe had the same team and was struggling there till they called on Brady. I am not calling Brady a system QB but I think he's the picture perfect QB for BB's system. I think Brady would be good any place he went but he excils in New England because he fits that system to the T but he isn't the system like Manning is here if that makes sense. Again that isn't discrediting Brady in anyway and I hope mostly the Pats fans don't take it that way. It's just a different set up.

Frankly the closet I think you can compare this to in recent history is when Dan Marino got hurt in Miami. He got hurt five games into the 1993 season when Scott Mitchel and Steve DeBurg came in and played QB and played pretty well. They lead them to a 9-7 record but Miami was already 4-1 when Marino went out so they went 5-6 the rest of the way without Marino. It was very respectable since they didn't have the guy their team was built around but still clearly wasn't what they could be with that guy.

Some of you make me wonder. You sound like all the Colts have to do is go out there and grab a great college qb and groom him for a couple of years, and he will be the next Peyton Manning.

Some of you even sound like if you could be guaranteed a good qb in next year's draft, you would dump Manning now and throw away the season. Sad.

Not sure whom you're referring to?

Any pick at QB can be dubious and blow up in Polian's hands like last years fireworks. But we have to start thinking realistically here. The Colts got burned because everyone has this faulty mentality that Manning is invincible. I've been saying all off-season that Manning is going to get hurt one of these days...and here we are. What now? Turns out the invincible machine isn't invincible at all.

Many here, including myself, were chastised for recommending a rookie QB get drafted this year. The retort was always "Manning has 208 consecutive starts"....like they can't see the wood because all the trees are in the way. Many of us said the same thing in regard to bringing in a solid vet back-up. The response was a reality dodging "Manning has 208 consecutive starts".

Seems folks get so steeped in fandom and fantasy that they forget Manning is a person not an ol reliable tractor.

Smitto Wrote:

Nooo not really, every year there is a good QB that comes out the draft. Just the name Andrew Luck sounds like a bad name for a QB it just sounds... Unlucky like a Leaf name. Anyway i guess the colts are fools for skipping a potentially "Great QB" for positions that actually need players to fill... Lemme tell tell you "potential can get a coach fired" the colts dont need a Qb the league is filled with them, you want a better backup trade for quinn but they will not draft no QB.

What I'm saying is from here on out, the Colts must put as much onus on Manning's back-up as they do toward the rest of the team. Indy's back-up QB is no longer an ancillary position.

What I'm saying is from here on out, the Colts must put as much onus on Manning's back-up as they do toward the rest of the team. Indy's back-up QB is no longer an ancillary position.

Manning signed a five year deal this year. Collins then signed a two year deal so after some quick math if the Colts keep Collins next season there will be three years left on Manning's deal which is about the perfect time to draft the guy who is our future at QB. While that guy is being groomed he would be Manning's back up. So I think it is going to be addressed from here on out unless we cut Collins at season's end.

No that's different too. Every team is different because as good as Brady is the Pats aren't built around him. They are built around their head coach if that makes sense. Also, people tend to completely under rate Brady's defense at the time. Those guys were very good and were even better in big games. I am not going to say Brady had nothing to do with it because that wouldn't be fair to Brady, after all Drew Beldsoe had the same team and was struggling there till they called on Brady. I am not calling Brady a system QB but I think he's the picture perfect QB for BB's system. I think Brady would be good any place he went but he excils in New England because he fits that system to the T but he isn't the system like Manning is here if that makes sense. Again that isn't discrediting Brady in anyway and I hope mostly the Pats fans don't take it that way. It's just a different set up.

Frankly the closet I think you can compare this to in recent history is when Dan Marino got hurt in Miami. He got hurt five games into the 1993 season when Scott Mitchel and Steve DeBurg came in and played QB and played pretty well. They lead them to a 9-7 record but Miami was already 4-1 when Marino went out so they went 5-6 the rest of the way without Marino. It was very respectable since they didn't have the guy their team was built around but still clearly wasn't what they could be with that guy.

I see where you're coming from. I'm hoping we get the better end of this crappy hand dealt to us. And thank you for your non volatile response. This place hasn't been the friendliest the past few days.

i will watch every game as i do every year and just hope for the best, collins isnt a scrub qb but he sure isnt peyton. I honestly belive peyton will be out for the year, but with this true colts fans will stick through it and the fair weather fans will go

Many here, including myself, were chastised for recommending a rookie QB get drafted this year. The retort was always "Manning has 208 consecutive starts"....like they can't see the wood because all the trees are in the way. Many of us said the same thing in regard to bringing in a solid vet back-up. The response was a reality dodging "Manning has 208 consecutive starts".

You could certainly make the argument that the Colts should have always kept an experienced backup - even if they had to overpay him to account for the boredom - but drafting a backup makes much less sense. I wouldn't want to trade the guy who will be protecting Peyton's blind side for the next five years for the #4 (or whatever) rated QB in the draft on the theory that Peyton might get hurt. All that would do is insure that he DID get hurt. And whomever we drafted would still be a novice.

I also don't see the correlation between length of time sitting on the bench and becoming a great player. You need to draft a great player - which either takes incredible luck or a very high draft pick - and then let him learn the hard way. People hold Rodgers up as an example but they were still 6-10 in his first year - and they had a lot of young talent besides him. We are going to milk the Manning years for all they are worth, and then we will likely have to rebuild. We can hope for a smooth transition with the FO we have, but it's not like we are going to be one of the very best every year until we get another franchise QB. IF we get another franchise QB. It's not easy. The only team that I can think of that "doubled up" on their dynasty was the 49ers - but Steve Young was a unique situation.

From Jake Query, radio 1260 WNDE in Indianapolis:

What I said: A source I consider reliable told me he is out for the season. I do believe that the actual diagnosis is still being determined

Query says his source told him Manning had the procedure (past tense) last Sunday

Will Carroll of SI.com says he knows of no change in Manning's status, save that he is no longer with the team at the facility.

Laura Callaway tweeted this:

ESPN's Adam Schefter: "One Colts official texted me this: 'We are aware of the rumors, but can't confirm rumors. That is all they are.'"

The chose of words is interesting. They cannot confirm the report, but they are not denying it. If the report is false, an upfront 'That is completely untrue' statement from the Colts ends the rumor. By not doing that, and by, essentially, implying there is some truth to them

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/7/2410947/report-peyton-manning-out-for-entire-2011-season

first comment to article

Jay Glazer just retweeted the report, which makes it look even more ominous

I have dealt with nerve issues in my lower back, knee, and lower foot. There is no timetable, and even if Peyton did have another "procedure" he could play in as few as 3 weeks "IF" the nerve comes back. Nerve regeneration can take up to 3 YEARS for full recover.

I personally feel Manning will be sat down for the season unless he really starts feeling good soon. And I am bracing myself for the ultimate kick in the nuts..... He "could" be done for good. Doubtful, but very much a possibility.

Go Colts....

In all honesty, this whole situation was handled extremely poorly by our organization.

This day was bound to come, and we decide to prepared for it 2 weeks before the season started?

Painter was never good, and our O-line has been on the down since 08.

But we have people in management who just won't eat crow.

I'm not one to tell anyone how to run a team, but really?

I love this team and organization, and will stand by it no matter what.

But I'm just disappointed in how this was handled. I mean how many surgical procedures did Manning under go these past 4yrs?

I mean did we ever think we just "might" need to prepare for something like this?

We're talking nerves, neck, and allegedly back problems here, this is serious.

If anyone could comeback and be effective after that, it's Manning, but the guy is 35. He's not getting any younger.

He just might comeback, not "feeling the same". Or maybe it might take a LONG time before he's himself again.

This new would be disappointing if true, but nonetheless as a fan, I'm prepared for it.

I think we can manage 8-8 with Collin's, but the chance of a home Superbowl just might not be there anymore.

In all honesty, this whole situation was handled extremely poorly by our organization.

This day was bound to come, and we decide to prepared for it 2 weeks before the season started?

I'm not one to tell anyone how to run a team, but really?

I love this team and organization, and will stand by it no matter what.

But I'm just disappointed in how this was handled. I mean how many surgical procedures did Manning under go these past 4yrs?

I mean did we ever think we just "might" need to prepare for something like this?

We're talking nerves, neck, and allegedly back problems here, this is serious.

If anyone could comeback and be effective after that, it's Manning, but the guy is 35. He's not getting any younger.

He just might comeback, not "feeling the same". Or maybe it might take a LONG time before he's himself again.

This new would be disappointing if true, but nonetheless as a fan, I'm prepared for it.

I think we can manage 8-8 with Collin's, but the chance of a home Superbowl just might not be there anymore.

I totally agree..... And I have cried for a "QUALITY" backup QB for going on 5 years now.

Oh well.... We shall see how it unfolds. But I do really like Collins in this spot.

By the way... "word on the street" is Peyton hurt himself by working too hard during the lockout. ?? And I can totally see this, a herniated disk needs to be babied... Gotta take it slow.

Perhaps an experienced backup should have been here all along, but I'm confident that none of this has anything to do with anyone's unwillingness to eat crow. This is probably the third time today alone that I felt the need to defend Polian against someone who has bought into the nonsense about his ego affecting personnel decisions. I don't believe that for a second, and I've never seen a shred of rational evidence to support it.

We have one of the best front offices in professional sports, and they hired dayum near the perfect guy to step temporarily in Peyton's spot. He's here now - the game hasn't been played yet. He probably would have been here sooner if not for the insanity caused by the lockout.

In short, what exactly are you whining about? The fact is that there is only one Peyton Manning, and without him the Colts have major problems. The suggestion that someone eating a little crow along the way would have magically resulted in a seamless transition to Johnny Unitas's clone stepping in to take his place just makes no sense to me.

Perhaps an experienced backup should have been here all along, but I'm confident that none of this has anything to do with anyone's unwillingness to eat crow. This is probably the third time today alone that I felt the need to defend Polian against someone who has bought into the nonsense about his ego affecting personnel decisions. I don't believe that for a second, and I've never seen a shred of rational evidence to support it.

We have one of the best front offices in professional sports, and they hired dayum near the perfect guy to step temporarily in Peyton's spot. He's here now - the game hasn't been played yet. He probably would have been here sooner if not for the insanity caused by the lockout.

In short, what exactly are you whining about? The fact is that there is only one Peyton Manning, and without him the Colts have major problems. The suggestion that someone eating a little crow along the way would have magically resulted in a seamless transition to Johnny Unitas's clone stepping in to take his place just makes no sense to me.

There is simply NO defense against not having a quality back up QB in the NFL today. NONE. Players will get hurt.

I'm not one to give it any credence. Which isn't to say I'm not concerned and that he might not play this season, just that this report isn't credible to me.

This was posted on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82209234/article/colts-owner-refutes-radio-report-of-second-manning-surgery?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay shot down a Wednesday radio report that quarterback Peyton Manning had another procedure performed on his neck.

Jake Query, a radio host for WNDE-AM in Indianapolis, tweeted early in the day that Manning would miss the season, adding in another post "I was also told the 3rd procedure has taken place, either Sun or Monday."

That prompted a response from Irsay in the evening.

"Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon," Irsay tweeted.

The Colts announced Wednesday that Manning will miss Sunday's season opener against the Houston Texans as he tries to recover from neck surgery he had in May. That means Manning's streak of 227 consecutive starts will end."

Thanks for the update

Don't you recall the Washington Redskins game (I believe in '07) where everybody was scared to death when somebody bent Peyton into this awkward position, pulling his neck backwards and pushing his body all out of shape? He looked hurt and dazed, but went back in and devoured Washington. However, that was the beginning of the woes.

I really don't remember that at all. I remember the Skins playing in Indy but I don't recall specifics about that game.

3) The Colts HAVE drafted a talented young QB to develop behind Manning - his name is Curtis Painter.

Apparently we have not watched the same Curtis painter. No team in the league would call him there starting QB and would probably have him @ 3rd string on some of the worst teams. The front office signing of Collins proves every bit of it.

Manning signed a five year deal this year. Collins then signed a two year deal so after some quick math if the Colts keep Collins next season there will be three years left on Manning's deal which is about the perfect time to draft the guy who is our future at QB. While that guy is being groomed he would be Manning's back up. So I think it is going to be addressed from here on out unless we cut Collins at season's end.

Collins is due 10M next season. I HIGHLY doubt we keep him around unless he pulls of the miracle of the century and wins a superbowl.

I love how much confidence all of you have in Kerry Collins. lol You really think we'll be one of the worst teams with Kerry???? First couple of games might be rough because he has only had a couple of weeks to learn the system. He will be fine and I hope the negativity lights a fire under him.

I know, right? Colts fans are acting as if we've got Curtis Painter as our QB. I'd get the negativity for that, but Kerry Collins is a good QB. He's got quite an arm. I have faith in him leading this time, but am really really really holding out hope that Peyton comes back in a few weeks. I just can't imagine him not playing an entire season. I guess we've been spoiled, the guy just doesn't not play.

I am scared.

I saw a journalist on ESPN website, mention that he is worried that Petyon may be showing early signs of Lou Gherig's Disease(ALS). Apparently, the nerve problems in the neck, and now the reports of nerve problems in the back that Payton had back surgery this last weekend for are pretty common early signs of ALS.

That would suck.

I always imagined Payton going on to be one of the greatest coaches or something in the history of the NFL after he stops playing on the field, I never imagined the possibility of him being paralyzed.

I guess I should quit reading these posts. So many of them are like, "My friends second cousin twice removed told me that he had heard from a reliable source that Peyton actually is in terminal condition in a hospice in Tennessee." And we talk like we believe this nonsense! Why are we ready to believe the worst in so many situations and never hold sources accountable when things turn out totally different than was reported. I have zero respect for about 99% of all media reporters whether mainstream, sports or bloggers (especially bloggers).

These people are like the clairvoyants whose convention was cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances." Their reputations are based on being first out with a piece of information and they really don't care if it is accurate. Those same reporters will call a source "reliable" even if less than 10% of the information he or she provides is accurate.

As Colts fans, we deserve better. If I don't hear it from Peyton, team officials or the doctor who operated, I assume it is false. This may be the first time in years that we don't make the playoffs. Does that mean the world is coming to an end? I have been a Colts fan since the days of Johnny Unitas and there have been some very lean years during that time.

But, ALS? Come on man.

This is why you give Collins 14M over two years to come out of retirement. It's gotta be a dream job for him under the circumstances & he's a capable QB with more weapons at his disposal than he's ever had. I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up in Manning's absence. My guess is there's gonna be a lot of Colts playing inspired ball for Manning as well as wanting to help Kerry Collins. I love all of our improvements on defense, the O-line and at RB. I don't believe this season will near as rough as some think.

+1, could not agree with you more . . .

I am scared.

I saw a journalist on ESPN website, mention that he is worried that Petyon may be showing early signs of Lou Gherig's Disease(ALS). Apparently, the nerve problems in the neck, and now the reports of nerve problems in the back that Payton had back surgery this last weekend for are pretty common early signs of ALS.

That would suck.

I always imagined Payton going on to be one of the greatest coaches or something in the history of the NFL after he stops playing on the field, I never imagined the possibility of him being paralyzed.

I did not see it but if that is true, that is a mind-numbingly reckless claim to make.

I am scared.

That would suck.

Wow, a journalist??? Does that give him the credentials to diagnose a medical condition? Seriously, stop listening to these *, they have no idea what they are talking about. If you only hear a few symptoms from reports, anybody could come up with literally 1000 different medical conditions for those symptoms.

Didn't the Colts go from a finesse style to smash mouth in the playoffs in '06 to win the Superbowl?

I think that should be the Colts style this year with a heavy dosage of Addai and Carter. We now have a true fullback along with a blocking TE. I believe were going to surprise people with a good running game with a good passing game(just not great).

I also believe the defense can stop the run, it's been done before, our new editions will only help that. My biggest concern of the D is pass defense philosophy. NO MORE SOFT ZONES. That philosophy only works when Manning is playing. Get rid of the " bend but don't break" for now, make the opponent battle for every completion.

Will there be some growing pains? Yes but IMO its necessary to change.( but its been done before)

Wow, really Lou G's disease? All because of backpain and neck pain. Well, shiz, looks like me, my husband, my dad, my mom, my uncle, grandparents, couple friends all must have Lou G's becaue we all have backpain, neckpain stemming from nerves being pinched by discs in the neck and spine. Thanks for letting us know before we all die.

Some people are out of control.

IMO, ya. There is a possibility of Manning being out for the season. If so, let's hope he can return the next year. Remember Brady was out for an entire year.

Tanking season Not An Option. You think the other players on this team would want to do that?????

I think the other players would want to prove they can win without Peyton; they won't deliberately tank the season. The problem is they can't win without Peyton. If he is out, or is unhealthy, for the entire season, the Colts will be drafting very early, maybe first.

:ref: There is zero chance in the Colts getting the number one pick next year even if Peyton never takes a snap, there are other teams worse then a possible Manningless Colts. Second, I am baffled as to why people are shocked by this. As soon as I saw Peyton wasn't able to do anything come Preseason I knew we were in trouble and then for the doctors to shut him down after just a week or so of soft throwing was the Red flag. It's sad we won't be an elite team this year, but I look at the positive side, come Nov and Dec there should be a ton of cheaper tix available on web sites and such and maybe I will finally get to see a live Colts game.

I got a couple of tickets for Raven game in Baltimore I now wish I would not have bought. Maybe a raven fan will want them.I no longer have the heart to go.

Apparently we have not watched the same Curtis painter. No team in the league would call him there starting QB and would probably have him @ 3rd string on some of the worst teams. The front office signing of Collins proves every bit of it.

You're missing the point. People are screaming 'blah blah blah they should have drafted and developed a QB blah blah blah ego problems blah blah blah".

The fact is that they DID draft and develop a QB. I may have a higher opinion of Painter than many but I'm not saying that he's ready for prime time. What I'm saying is that drafting a young qb and developing him is a difficult process with a high probability of failure. It seems to me that the commentators are REALLY saying that the failure is in not having Aaron Rodgers sitting on the bench - which is just *ic. How often does that happen? The only reasonable complaint about the FO is that they didn't have an experienced backup ready to go. But then again they have an experienced backup here now just as he is finally needed. Aside from his lack of practice with the offense - likely more a result of the off-season being compressed than anything - what exactly has the front office done?

I know, they avoiding wasting countless millions in prior years on a disgruntled vet picking his nose on the bench, so they could use the money to field a better team. It's a little hard to take issue with the results.