Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Surprise, Peyton Officially Ruled Out/possible Second Surgery (Merged & Closed)

chad72

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton has been officially ruled out for the Texans game by Bill Polian.

http://twitter.com/#%21/evansilva/statuses/111472435840290816

Per SportsCenter, #Colts president Bill Polian has officially ruled out QB Peyton Manning (neck) for Week 1.

how could this take this kind of a turn? there has to have been some signs awhile

back this could happen. so why did we wait until two weeks before kick off to go get help? Our built

to play from 20 points ahead defense better be ready or it is gonna be a long,long,year. i also thought we were stacked at receiver and that group has more injury problems than we all were told. ought o!!!!!

More confirmation:

http://twitter.com/#!/markschlereth/statuses/111475757594836992

We need to take care of the winnable games while Peyton is out (say 4 games). Those would be:

Browns (home), Bucs (on the road)

If we can be 2-2 after 4 games, I will take that gladly. It will be a week-by-week roller coaster ride for us fans, we better be ready for it. Besides, our D plays well at home and I think Kerry Collins can exploit the Steelers secondary if we protect him. Ultimately, our O-line is the key to our passing offense since Peyton's quick read and release is not going to be available for a while.

how could this take this kind of a turn? there has to have been some signs awhile

back this could happen. so why did we wait until two weeks before kick off to go get help? Our built

to play from 20 points ahead defense better be ready or it is gonna be a long,long,year. i also thought we were stacked at receiver and that group has more injury problems than we all were told. ought o!!!!!

If it's a long year it's a long year, it wouldn't be the first one I've sat threw with the Colts and it probably wont be the last one. That's why I've enjoyed everything from 1998 till well now because I knew it wasn't going to be like that forever, teams have bad years, the fact we've had one since 1999 is remarkable. The Steelers and Pats can't even say that. It's why I've chosen to enjoy the fact we got one Super Bowl rather than complain about all the others we "should" have won. We have been in the golden age of Colts football and frankly I think some people have missed a lot of it out of pure greed (again not saying you are one of those people). I am still going to watch the Colts every Sunday and pull for them and enjoy the fact we have football and probably make me enjoy Peyton that much more when he's back. Frankly if the Colts losing games and Peyton Manning being hurt is the worsthing to happen to you this year (and I say you in the general sense not just you as in you) you should be grateful. It is just football and game after all. Honestly I find it a bit disturbing how wrapped up in this some people are getting (again not saying you are your thread just made me think of it) and are acting like this is the worst thing that could possiably happen to them. Take it from someone who did lose someone very close this year it's a game that is ment to be entertainment, just enjoy it even if we do stink and if it's truly the worst thing to happen to you this year then you are a very lucky person.

Just my two cents and again frankly it's probably not even worth that.

If it's a long year it's a long year, it wouldn't be the first one I've sat threw with the Colts and it probably wont be the last one. That's why I've enjoyed everything from 1998 till well now because I knew it wasn't going to be like that forever, teams have bad years, the fact we've had one since 1999 is remarkable. The Steelers and Pats can't even say that. It's why I've chosen to enjoy the fact we got one Super Bowl rather than complain about all the others we "should" have won. We have been in the golden age of Colts football and frankly I think some people have missed a lot of it out of pure greed (again not saying you are one of those people). I am still going to watch the Colts every Sunday and pull for them and enjoy the fact we have football and probably make me enjoy Peyton that much more when he's back. Frankly if the Colts losing games and Peyton Manning being hurt is the worsthing to happen to you this year (and I say you in the general sense not just you as in you) you should be grateful. It is just football and game after all. Honestly I find it a bit disturbing how wrapped up in this some people are getting (again not saying you are your thread just made me think of it) and are acting like this is the worst thing that could possiably happen to them. Take it from someone who did lose someone very close this year it's a game that is ment to be entertainment, just enjoy it even if we do stink and if it's truly the worst thing to happen to you this year then you are a very lucky person.

A big AMEN to that!!!

More confirmation:

We need to take care of the winnable games while Peyton is out (say 4 games). Those would be:

If we can be 2-2 after 4 games, I will take that gladly. It will be a week-by-week roller coaster ride for us fans, we better be ready for it. Besides, our D plays well at home and I think Kerry Collins can exploit the Steelers secondary if we protect him. Ultimately, our O-line is the key to our passing offense since Peyton's quick read and release is not going to be available for a while.

I want to see the Texans before I write that off. I think if our guys plays with the effort I think they might because they are going to be tired of everyone saying they can't win without Peyton and the Texans are struggling changing to the 3-4 and Foster is slowed by injury himself we could steal that game if we play well. It's not likly but it's not impossiable either.

I agree with you I think without Manning o-line is the key to everything. If they play well I think people are going to be surprised in a good way about how good Collins can be in this offense. If they stuggle we are in trouble.

Im with ya. I have sat thru many bad Colts seasons and still watched every game, but the more doom and gloom I see, not only here but on other forums and fans in general, im starting to realize just how many Manning fans are out there and not Colts fans. Thats not a knock on most of the posters here, it just makes me wonder if Manning is out for the yr. are we gonna start seeing local broadcasts blacked out when the fans don't show up because Peyton won't be playing? I sure hope this isn't the case, but with some of the nonsense that I have read all over the internet and stuff I've seen on TV, I just am starting to wonder if a lot of fans are just fans of winning and not dealing with the losing that inevitably comes to every team.

Im with ya. I have sat thru many bad Colts seasons and still watched every game, but the more doom and gloom I see, not only here but on other forums and fans in general, im starting to realize just how many Manning fans are out there and not Colts fans. Thats not a knock on most of the posters here, it just makes me wonder if Manning is out for the yr. are we gonna start seeing local broadcasts blacked out when the fans don't show up because Peyton won't be playing? I sure hope this isn't the case, but with some of the nonsense that I have read all over the internet and stuff I've seen on TV, I just am starting to wonder if a lot of fans are just fans of winning and not dealing with the losing that inevitably comes to every team.

I don't know if I would call them all Manning fans. I think a lot of them are Colts fans who became Colts fans because of Peyton Manning. I think they'll stay Colts fans after Peyton's gone but he's what brought them into the franchise and frankly life with Peyton Manning has been pretty good so they don't understand losing because they have never seen it. To them 10-6 is a bad year because they are used to going 12-4 every year. Like anything in life you don't really know how to handle something till you go threw it and for a lot of fans this is the first real time they are looking at having to go threw it.

Also I am pretty sure all the games are already sold out this year so we are going to be on TV this year. Next year would be the question but odds are Manning will be back next year so I am sure we'll stay on local TV till Manning is back. If we are blacked out I just listen to Lamey sometimes that's more fun because frankly he's one of us watching the game.

To your last point you know what they say, everyone always loves a winner. I am not going to label someone here a band wagon fan but by the same token people are foolish to think that those don't exist in Colts world and IMO the people are truly just "Manning fans" (other than the ones who have followed him since like high school or like him because they liked his dad or something) are the band wagon fans they use the term Manning fan because it sounds better than band wagon fan. Again I am not saying anyone here is a band wagon fan I am just talking in general terms.

Wow. I'm old enough to know of the struggles the Colt's faced before Peyton, but I wasn't quite ready to see the Colt's take the field without him. I guess it had to happen eventually. That being said, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the team can do while he's out. We've picked up quite a few nice players to go with a bunch we already had. I love seeing Peyton air it out, but here is to hoping for the rebirth of the run game this year and a defense that can win games for us!

One thing that has me wondering though - I've seen threads from time to time about the lack of the long bomb game. Many times it has been said that the other NFL teams shut down our long passing game and Peyton just had to learn to take what was given to him. Other times is has been said that some of our receivers just aren't capable of what Marvin used to give us. I agree with both points.

I wonder how much Peyton's current medical condition plays into the shorter passing game though?

The very first thing Collins did in the last pre-season game was air it out.

Makes you wonder a bit.

Next Man UP! Go Colts!

Edited by SouthernIndianaColtsFan

I wonder how much Peyton's current medical condition plays into the shorter passing game though?

Makes you wonder a bit.

Next Man UP! Go Colts!

If you noticed the fantasy football projections, those guys have taken into account how much Collins like to air it out to the outside and thus projections for Collie and Clark are down. Expect safer passes down the sidelines and more looks for Wayne & Garcon and mainly checkdowns to RBs and TEs. Collins has a pretty deep ball, we just need to protect him long enough for the routes to form, IMO. But if someone is foolish enough to leave Clark one-on-one, with time, it would be too tempting even for Collins not to work the seam then like Peyton :).

Here's hoping for the best. :drink: I may have to slug a few to get through this game.

I'm alot more worried about Peyton's health for the future and if his injury will heal

properly.

I'm with ya on that one buddy! I'm working extra this week just to pay for the drinks I will be buying this Sunday haha. I would like to point out that Adam V. might get a lot more chances this season especially while Peyton is out. Does anybody else think that we might be able to grind out some first downs, but Collins might not be able to punch it in the endzone as efficiently as Manning? That would lead to a lot more field goals this season IMO. Just something to think about. If I played fantasy football (which I don't, i hate it to be honest) I would take a look at Adam V. as my kicker for this reason. We will see though. Lets hope our defense can hang in there if we net more field goals this season.

I don't know if I would call them all Manning fans. I think a lot of them are Colts fans who became Colts fans because of Peyton Manning. I think they'll stay Colts fans after Peyton's gone but he's what brought them into the franchise and frankly life with Peyton Manning has been pretty good so they don't understand losing because they have never seen it. To them 10-6 is a bad year because they are used to going 12-4 every year. Like anything in life you don't really know how to handle something till you go threw it and for a lot of fans this is the first real time they are looking at having to go threw it.

Also I am pretty sure all the games are already sold out this year so we are going to be on TV this year. Next year would be the question but odds are Manning will be back next year so I am sure we'll stay on local TV till Manning is back. If we are blacked out I just listen to Lamey sometimes that's more fun because frankly he's one of us watching the game.

To your last point you know what they say, everyone always loves a winner. I am not going to label someone here a band wagon fan but by the same token people are foolish to think that those don't exist in Colts world and IMO the people are truly just "Manning fans" (other than the ones who have followed him since like high school or like him because they liked his dad or something) are the band wagon fans they use the term Manning fan because it sounds better than band wagon fan. Again I am not saying anyone here is a band wagon fan I am just talking in general terms.

Yeah, im not really trying to call anybody here out on it, but there are people that have automatically ruled the Colts out this yr. and we don't even know how long Manning is gonna be out. Maybe instead of "Manning fan" I should have said "winning fan". Everybody knows winning is better than losing but losing seasons happen and I surely hope people don't jump ship simply because we "MAY" have a bad season. I've always hated the term "bandwagon fan" and if people were drawn to be fans because of Manning then thats great, but those people need to understand that Manning won't always be here and quite frankly, we've been very lucky that this hasn't happened way before now. Im just bothered I guess that I can't go to one forum or one sports site that isn't nothing but "Oh God, what will we do without Manning, or we suck because Manning isn't playing". There are other players on the team and there are other concerns besides just Manning.

So let's see what this team really can do without Peyton. Defense, offensive line and running game really has to step up!

I believe we get by. I don't think the Texans will blow us out, but it will be more than a difficult game. Luckily the schedule isn't too bad to begin with, and even without Peyton the Colts could potentially be something like 4-2 after week 6.

STEP UP TEAM! AND GET WELL SOON, PEYTON!

^This. After "the decision" game, there were people who were traumitized and saying it was the worst thing that had ever happened to them.

I didn't like that decision either. But that same week, a friend was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and the daughter of another friend passed away. While others were crying about that game, I was crying for friends whose lives had been torn apart.

Wow. I'm old enough to know of the struggles the Colt's faced before Peyton, but I wasn't quite ready to see the Colt's take the field without him. I guess it had to happen eventually. That being said, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the team can do while he's out. We've picked up quite a few nice players to go with a bunch we already had. I love seeing Peyton air it out, but here is to hoping for the rebirth of the run game this year and a defense that can win games for us!

One thing that has me wondering though - I've seen threads from time to time about the lack of the long bomb game. Many times it has been said that the other NFL teams shut down our long passing game and Peyton just had to learn to take what was given to him. Other times is has been said that some of our receivers just aren't capable of what Marvin used to give us. I agree with both points.

Makes you wonder a bit.

Next Man UP! Go Colts!

I think the bad O-line play contributed A LOT more to the disappearance of the long bomb than some realize. Peyton has had, in the last 3-4ish years, way fewer opportunities to let WRs get open deep.

Well there will eventaully be a day when Peyton say farewell to everybody, and luckily this is just a rehearsal. As it is pointed out in that ESPN article, no other team has ever kept only one starting QB in the past 11 years, and what we have had from Peyton is in controdiction to the nature of this physical sports.

If we take good advantage of this incidence and carefully evaluate the strength and weakness of our team, get a clear recognition of the talent we have, develope a way to win games with a balanced offense and more competitive defense, and meanwhile let the young players and coaching staff learn their lessons and gain experience, it may benefit Manning and the team when he eventaully comes back. Even if it could be too late for any essential success for this season, it might mean a superbowl team in maybe 2 years in the rest of Peyton's contract, and earn us 1-2 more trophys. No to mention the talent from higher draft positions that really address our weakness. To be honest these problems might not be addressed if say we win 10-11 games, go to the playoff as usual, and get an early exit as we did many times before.

Football is an ultimate team sports. The only time we won the superbowl, it was not only because of Peyton, but also lots of great efforts from the running game and the defense. Depending only on Peyton's performance could end his career with only 1 ring. It has never been a moment better than now for us to know how good the Colts really are as a team of 53, such that we can get stronger thereafter.

Plus, the supuerbowl loser curse was kinda for real but Peyton still took us to the playoff. The superbowl host curse seems stronger, even a player as good as Peyton cannot get over them. See Dallas and Tony Romo last year.

I really want Peyton to get better soon, not just for his playing career but also for him personally. However, the big question I have is why wasn't this taken care of earlier in the year? This does not just pop up, it would of been a lingering type injury. Why not get the surgery in Feb. so if any complications arise it could be done and his rehab would not have affected the start of the season. And the lockout would have nothing to do with it. This was same type situation when he had his knee worked on. Waited late, complication and the start of the season was affected. Just curious why so late in taking care of an injury requiring surgery?

I am still amazed how people think this will just be a "couple" of week thing and Peyton will be back. He had the surgery back in May and he STILL isn't able to even practice. I think we need to come to terms that he may be gone all season and at best not back till sometime in November which by that point we will be out of it. Personally, I shut him down for the season, let him get done what needs to get done, get healthy and be ready for the 2012 season, because if not we could be looking at a reoccuring issue over the remaining years he is with us.

I know this is just a game, and I don't take it a serious as I did 4-5 years ago, and there is more to life than just football. I also feel sorry for for anyone that lost someone close to them. My wife just lost her uncle 3 days ago in a scuba diving accident. But, none of this changes the fact that this neck surgery or whatever he needed done to himself should have been taken care of at the end of last season. It gets tiring that the Colts organization always to seem to wait right before the season to take care of a problem. Same thing happen with Peyton knee.

I am still amazed how people think this will just be a "couple" of week thing and Peyton will be back. He had the surgery back in May and he STILL isn't able to even practice...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it reported weeks ago that Peyton was practicing? I remember reading somewhere that he was running and throwing "with great velocity" as I recall.

Do not fret Colts fans 1st Manning may only be out 1 game 2nd the Patriots lost brady for a whole season and still won 11 games

.....oh wait you don't have Matt Cassel you have Collins never mind your season is over........see ya next year lol

Oh yeah, I forgot we were terrified. One is a borderline HOF QB and the other one is a mediocre starter in Kansas City. Ours is surrounded by nothing but talent, the other was surrounded by an old, aging defense that just now finally transitioned to a new, successful brand.

Kerry Collins was not born yesterday. He still has a cannon and will win us a good bit of games if need be. He is surrounded by far more talent than Matt Cassel EVER was that year in New England. However, I'll throw you one bone; you do have Bill Belicheck. Despite his past, he is still a genious.

Yeah some people take their football a little TOO seriously. I decided a long time ago not to let any sports team affect my well being. I'm not out there playing so why should I get so upset if somebody else screws up? It's out of my control. I love football but c'mon.....it's only football. The sky isn't falling:)

If you noticed the fantasy football projections, those guys have taken into account how much Collins like to air it out to the outside and thus projections for Collie and Clark are down. Expect safer passes down the sidelines and more looks for Wayne & Garcon and mainly checkdowns to RBs and TEs. Collins has a pretty deep ball, we just need to protect him long enough for the routes to form, IMO. But if someone is foolish enough to leave Clark one-on-one, with time, it would be too tempting even for Collins not to work the seam then like Peyton :).

Be ready to see a lot of deep balls thrown, Collin's is a gunslinger. He's more of a Brett Favre type QB, as he'll take a lot more chances, and really a little more on his gut instinct than some of is his reads in key situations.

People are saying he'll be looking for Clark and Wayne, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Collie catch one down the seam. Or Garcon catch a deep TD.

The key to getting this to work, is the O-line, and our running game.

Be ready to see a lot of deep balls thrown, Collin's is a gunslinger. He's more of a Brett Favre type QB, as he'll take a lot more chances, and really a little more on his gut instinct than some of is his reads in key situations.

People are saying he'll be looking for Clark and Wayne, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Collie catch one down the seam. Or Garcon catch a deep TD.

The key to getting this to work, is the O-line, and our running game.

Yeah if we develop an even decent running game Collins could be dangerous.

More confirmation:

I'm going with your original two week projection, with Manning coming back against the Steelers in Week 3. We can go 0-2 for all I care, as long as Manning gets back.