Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Surprise, Peyton Officially Ruled Out/possible Second Surgery (Merged & Closed)

chad72

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in all seriousness, i dont think we would want andrew luck. He wouldnt start until year 5 which would likely be his contract year... if peyton had signed a 3 or 4 year deal i could see it.

I know this is a big hypothetical, but im just trying to look at the silver lining here. If peyton were to miss the entire year I honestly think we would get a top 5 pick. We could pick up a few big time players in round 1 and 2. In a weird way peyton missing a year could almost help him have a better shot to win a SB before he retires than continually overachieving into the playoffs, but being just short on talent to win and then not getting high picks in the draft to replenish the roster effectively.

All this provided he comes back 100% healthy. Again a longshot, but it could happen.

Imagine peyton getting justin blackmon as a WR, that could totally reinvigorate the colts O. Grab a really good guard or center in round 2, give nevis costanzo and ijalana a year to develop. The team could be really good given one year with high draft picks.

Idk. just me trying to stay positive.

I love how much confidence all of you have in Kerry Collins. lol You really think we'll be one of the worst teams with Kerry???? First couple of games might be rough because he has only had a couple of weeks to learn the system. He will be fine and I hope the negativity lights a fire under him.

well now one of two things will happen. either the colts prove to everyone that they can still play at a high level even without peyton or we end up having early draft picks and add more talent to an already talented team. either one is a positive.

Agree with this here. Also this sucks but at this point isn't really a surprise to me. I figured that he'd be ruled out for the year eventually anyway seeing how the Colts like to string fans along by never truly divulging the seriousness of an injury situation. Oh well, ready to get behind Collins and hope that Indy can show some good fight for 16 games. Worse case scenario is we suck for one year and end up with a good draft pick to strengthen this team going forward.

I actually think Peyton sitting out the year is probably for the best. His long term health is what is important and I doubt he would have been healthy enough to make much difference this season anyway. Too much rust and would be too susceptible to reinjury. Heal up Peyt and hope to see you next year.

To the rest of the 52, show that Horse Shoe pride, no retreat...no surrender!

I am sorta disappointed with the Colts though. I don't know why they even have not drafted a young QB? Let Manning Polish him up, the Colts should have known better. That the day would come like today? They should have known that he would not play forever. They should have drafted a young QB. Let him sit, like the Packers did with Rodgers. They should have let Manning groom him up. No, they stuck with Painter and they did not even draft a young stud QB. Now look where we could be at?

This is a common theme which ignores a few facts:

1) Favre had just started his "maybe I'll retire" nonsense in the months before Rodgers was drafted. The Packers grabbing a QB wasn't an example of planning years ahead - if Favre HAD quit they would have been stuck.

2) Rodgers inexplicably dropped like a stone. He was rated far higher than #24, but suddenly there he was. Far and away the "best player available". It would be hard for any team to pass up the opportunity.

3) The Colts HAVE drafted a talented young QB to develop behind Manning - his name is Curtis Painter. He may be a work in progress, and he wasn't drafted as high as Rodgers, but it makes no sense to me that every team with a franchise QB under a long term contract should invest a first round pick in an attempt to draft ANOTHER franchise QB. It just doesn't work that way.

If either #1 or #2 hadn't happened, Rodgers wouldn't have been a Packer. And both #1 and #2 are bizarre and unrelated to the Colts. Manning doesn't dance around and play head games, and no future franchise QBs have slid past the Colts draft slot that I've noticed.

And by the way, this presient act by the Packers wasn't all sunshine. They had to uncomfortably force Favre out the door as Rodgers developed because to hang onto the past when the future is right there waiting is irresponsible. It was unpleasant for the fans, it was damaging to Favre, and it wasted Rodgers. The idea that him sitting behind Favre for years was preferable to him playing and learning is ridiculous in my opinion. Just like the idea that sitting behind Peyton will magically turn any young player into a star.

In short, the only thing the Colts did wrong was in waiting so long to bring in a veteran - and I suspect that if it wasn't for the lockout they would have done it earlier. In fact if it wasn't for the lockout Peyton might have had a second procedure weeks ago and would be that much closer to coming back. I see no lessons that could have been learned from watching "everybody else".

Meh.

It's just Peyton Manning. If anyone's a system quarterback it's that guy. Look at all the weapons he has. Two first round running backs...how many quarterbacks can say they have that? Give Kerry Collins the keys to a ferrari and I bet he pulls off 12 wins and a division title. Maybe we'll actually win a playoff game with that megabeast under center. I mean, that guy beat out Vince "Dream Team" Young a couple years ago.

I wish I could change my user name to Kerry Collins > Peyton Manning. That Manning guy's just a bum with a gargantuan head. No wonder his neck is bothering him. If I had a noggin that size I'd have a neckache too.

No but seriously...I am bummed about this. I just hope he gets better so he can finish off his career with 4 more Super Bowl titles and 4 more MVPs. If we suck bad enough this year without him, he should get a few votes for MVP based on that alone.

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the cause of Peyton's neck issues to begin with?

Well if you believe Dungy, he said it was first injured in 2006 in a game against the Redskins. Some defensive lineman pretty much attempted to decapitate Peyton by pretty much Russian Sickling him to the turf and knocking his helmet off. Manning's body bent back very awkwardly and I half expected his head to be inside the helmet rolling around on the ground. Nevertheless Manning still remained in the game and proceeded to torch the Skins. He seemed to play with fire and a vendetta against them for the rest of that game. However, Dungy believes that the dirty play was perhaps what eventually led to the start of his neck issues.

Wow that really stinks! Though I'm not surprised. I knew he was nearing the end of his career but had hoped it would of ended seeing him win the SB in Indy. I just don't see how he will fully recover after this to get back to PM form. Poor guy just became a father of two and has had two neck surgeries in 4 months... God bless him.

News: WDNE-AM in Indianapolis is reporting that Colts QB Peyton Manning has undergone another surgical procedure on his neck and is in danger of missing the season. This is the second radio report from Indianapolis in less than a week that has suggested that Manning will not play in 2011. Manning has been ruled out for Week 1 at Houston already as he has not rehabbed quickly enough from neck surgery in May. "It will be tough not to be out there playing for the organization and our fans," Manning said regarding missing Week 1, per ESPN. "I simply am not healthy enough to play."

Kerry Collins has historically been atrocious the opening of every season with a new team. Thankfully, with the exception of the Texans, we have a fairly easy opening schedule, but with no clear-cut awful teams, anyone is a danger to the Colts. Kerry Collins last stint with the Titans doomed them to a mediocre at best 6-10 record, and this was despite Collins coming off a stronger 8-8 record from last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Tennessee_Titans_season#Schedule

Unlike the Steelers, we lack the run game and defensive personnel to compensate for poor QB play. Our QB is essential to our offensive and defensive system. Our objective is to put up points, period. If we fail to do that, we risk getting run over and Freeney and Mathis' are less effective due to the lack of passing downs.

Collins is not getting younger, and with a new team and a ferocious league, my guess is we go 4-12 at best; therefore, I suggest we go for Andrew Luck. Trade up if you have to.

26 isnt old for that to be the "future" of your franchise? this isnt wisconsin. The colts will draft someone when peytons career is coming to an end

Manning's career IS coming to an end. You need to realize that its best to bring in a guy next season to replace Manning, who is apparently suffering from a very serious condition that may well rob him of a glorious end to his career.

JimIrsayJim Irsay

"Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon"

11 minutes agoFavoriteRetweetReply

Medical procedure is not the same thing as surgery, IMO. I figure if he had a second surgery, they should say he had a second surgery...not a 'medical procedure'.

Far as I know, a spinal adjustment at the chiropractor is a medical procedure.

Course, I'm a homer, loves my Peyton and believe he is going to be taking snaps. Maybe not playing out a game, but taking snaps nonetheless.

I keep praying this is a bad, bad dream, and that I never read any of this. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Wish media would stop trying to "break storys". No one, NO ONE, knows a thing. When the information is ready, it will be released because Jim will put it on Twitter before the press conference. Love how our local "radio" is spouting off he is done for year and had surgery; Hello, we've already had this debunked into a pile of poo by several sources since then. Stick to your job on the radio and stop trying to break news for ESPN. If you want a new job, send a resume and get hired. There is a reason all of this isn't being blasted all over ESPN all day, it is all RUMORS.

Manning's career IS coming to an end. You need to realize that its best to bring in a guy next season to replace Manning, who is apparently suffering from a very serious condition that may well rob him of a glorious end to his career.

As far as im concerned peyton has 5yrs on his contract, Nothing noted by the colts have indicated that peytons career is in jeopardy though im not naive enough to think they would tell the media the whole details, peyton has another 5yrs let it get down to 3 or 2 then ppl can start talking about getting a QB cause that will likely be the scenario.

As far as im concerned peyton has 5yrs on his contract, Nothing noted by the colts have indicated that peytons career is in jeopardy though im not naive enough to think they would tell the media the whole details, peyton has another 5yrs let it get down to 3 or 2 then ppl can start talking about getting a QB cause that will likely be the scenario.

Its already down to 4 (potentially). He's old and now stands to be out of football for a year, coming off a tricky, career threatening neck injury.

If the right guy pops up, we would be FOOLS to take a pass. FOOLS to have a grab at a top tier rookie QB in the next five years and pass on him.

Its already down to 4 (potentially). He's old and now stands to be out of football for a year, coming off a tricky, career threatening neck injury.

If the right guy pops up, we would be FOOLS to take a pass. FOOLS to have a grab at a top tier rookie QB in the next five years and pass on him.

Nooo not really, every year there is a good QB that comes out the draft. Just the name Andrew Luck sounds like a bad name for a QB it just sounds... Unlucky like a Leaf name. Anyway i guess the colts are fools for skipping a potentially "Great QB" for positions that actually need players to fill... Lemme tell tell you "potential can get a coach fired" the colts dont need a Qb the league is filled with them, you want a better backup trade for quinn but they will not draft no QB.

I got this. :trout::troll:

Okay, this is my last allowed post for today (?), so bear with me. First, ^too funny...love it!

Next, I agree, life is too tough as it is to let football get the better of us. It is just a game. All of us lose, regularly. Won't get into much, but lost my Rott @ 12 years; died on the same day, exactly 10 years after my husband died; and she saved my life the night he died.

Then, 9/11, I was in the hospital having surgery that lasted about 12 hours, only to come out and see the devastation. The entire time thinking it was the morphine drip and I was hallucinating; it couldn't be true, but it was. We ALL lost that day. I lost my bully, Captain Jack..., last year on 9/11. This day, in and of itself, sucks. Needless to say, last year's surgery, I demanded something other than morphine...got diluadid instead...not too bad considering no major disasters and nobody I know died that day.

To all of you who have lost, to all who have loved, to all who continue to lose and/or love, there is nothing more important than the those who have gone before us and/or are tatooed in our hearts!

To all Colts fans, I have been here too, good or bad, since I lost a ton of money on the '85 Bears in the 1986 season, to a fellow soldier, a Viking fan nonetheless! Yes, I am from NW Indiana and was a Bears fan first. I turned after that year, too embarassed to be a Bears fan and found out the Indy Colts moved to town while I was away in the Army.

I hosted the SB with the Colts/Bears and was the ONLY Colts fan at my house. Yes, that was sweet, but the first play of the game was pure torture...Devin Hester...

Ah, what I am trying to say is that there is a big mix of fans on here. I am not the biggest Peyton homer, but I am a BIG homer, and the ONLY fan at my workplace...surrounded by Bears fans, and one Steeler fan who has the more recent playoff (and SB) win against the Colts in OUR house...I was there, he wasn't...so he made fun of me, the money I spent to go to the game, etc.

Finally, I buy every year, (but 1 year I couldn't afford and last year I WON), tickets to the LAST game of the season. Simply because they are cheaper since everything is pretty much wrapped up and Peyton only comes out for the first snap. I've seen my share of 2nd string QB's and still put out my money for hotels, tickets, food, voice...

I am a homer, but a very dedicated Homer...I will buy your tickets if you don't want to watch Colts without Petyon...I do it regularly!

Tee~

I got this. :trout::troll:

Okay, this is my last allowed post for today (?), so bear with me. First, ^too funny...love it!

Next, I agree, life is too tough as it is to let football get the better of us. It is just a game. All of us lose, regularly. Won't get into much, but lost my Rott @ 12 years; died on the same day, exactly 10 years after my husband died; and she saved my life the night he died.

Then, 9/11, I was in the hospital having surgery that lasted about 12 hours, only to come out and see the devastation. The entire time thinking it was the morphine drip and I was hallucinating; it couldn't be true, but it was. We ALL lost that day. I lost my bully, Captain Jack..., last year on 9/11. This day, in and of itself, sucks. Needless to say, last year's surgery, I demanded something other than morphine...got diluadid instead...not too bad considering no major disasters and nobody I know died that day.

To all of you who have lost, to all who have loved, to all who continue to lose and/or love, there is nothing more important than the those who have gone before us and/or are tatooed in our hearts!

To all Colts fans, I have been here too, good or bad, since I lost a ton of money on the '85 Bears in the 1986 season, to a fellow soldier, a Viking fan nonetheless! Yes, I am from NW Indiana and was a Bears fan first. I turned after that year, too embarassed to be a Bears fan and found out the Indy Colts moved to town while I was away in the Army.

I hosted the SB with the Colts/Bears and was the ONLY Colts fan at my house. Yes, that was sweet, but the first play of the game was pure torture...Devin Hester...

Ah, what I am trying to say is that there is a big mix of fans on here. I am not the biggest Peyton homer, but I am a BIG homer, and the ONLY fan at my workplace...surrounded by Bears fans, and one Steeler fan who has the more recent playoff (and SB) win against the Colts in OUR house...I was there, he wasn't...so he made fun of me, the money I spent to go to the game, etc.

Finally, I buy every year, (but 1 year I couldn't afford and last year I WON), tickets to the LAST game of the season. Simply because they are cheaper since everything is pretty much wrapped up and Peyton only comes out for the first snap. I've seen my share of 2nd string QB's and still put out my money for hotels, tickets, food, voice...

I am a homer, but a very dedicated Homer...I will buy your tickets if you don't want to watch Colts without Petyon...I do it regularly!

Tee~

I'm not one to give it any credence. Which isn't to say I'm not concerned and that he might not play this season, just that this report isn't credible to me.

This was posted on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82209234/article/colts-owner-refutes-radio-report-of-second-manning-surgery?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay shot down a Wednesday radio report that quarterback Peyton Manning had another procedure performed on his neck.

Jake Query, a radio host for WNDE-AM in Indianapolis, tweeted early in the day that Manning would miss the season, adding in another post "I was also told the 3rd procedure has taken place, either Sun or Monday."

That prompted a response from Irsay in the evening.

"Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon," Irsay tweeted.

The Colts announced Wednesday that Manning will miss Sunday's season opener against the Houston Texans as he tries to recover from neck surgery he had in May. That means Manning's streak of 227 consecutive starts will end."

Well this is awkward.... I don't have enough Valium to pass around. Can everyone stop jumping on freak out/ the world is ending train? Since when did some radio host say something about this "sources" and not be seriously questioned? Honestly I wouldn't have bothered posting this thread until the official word came out. Which it did, saying this source was garbage. Lets play some games first before we all declare this a lost cause and move to Canada or something.

I find the whole premise of "throwing the season" to be utterly nauseating. Do the people that hold that opinion think that to do so wouldn't damage and/or destroy the team spirit for years to follow? You work hard to fight to overcome and win - not to shamefully lay down.

With our without Peyton, I expect the Colts to bring what ever they're made of to the stadium every week and give it their all.

Probably would be good if the fans did so too... just sayin'

I find the whole premise of "throwing the season" to be utterly nauseating. Do the people that hold that opinion think that to do so wouldn't damage and/or destroy the team spirit for years to follow? You work hard to fight to overcome and win - not to shamefully lay down.

With our without Peyton, I expect the Colts to bring what ever they're made of to the stadium every week and give it their all.

Probably would be good if the fans did so too... just sayin'

^^^^^^^ This. I'd like to add can we please wait maybe 2 + weeks before everyone starts saying that Peyton is done for the year? I have some happy pills if you need them.

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the cause of Peyton's neck issues to begin with?

Don't you recall the Washington Redskins game (I believe in '07) where everybody was scared to death when somebody bent Peyton into this awkward position, pulling his neck backwards and pushing his body all out of shape? He looked hurt and dazed, but went back in and devoured Washington. However, that was the beginning of the woes.