Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting article on how luck is better than RG3

Playoffs2013

This age old argument always fascinates me. Do you take whatever advertisement deal that lands on your doorstep or do you respectfully decline all endorsement deals and hunker down in the film room, master your playbook, and try to earn the respect of everyone in the locker room? Did you come from a poor or impoverished background or a lavish and extravagant one? HOF CB Deion Sanders always says "money makes you more of who you are." Do you love football completely or do you love what the sport brings you as accolades? Money, fame, cars, women, and international recognition?

Personally, I don't have a problem with either approach to endorsement deals as long as athletes remember 1 thing: Respect in the NFL is earned; nothing is given to you even #1 draft picks. It all depends on how you were raised and brought up and if you ever had people in your life who would tell you when you are wrong, acting like an fool, and full of ______. [Rhymes with wit and starts with a Capital S.] We all need people in our lives who knew us when we were a nobody and far from famous to keep us humble and remind us how good we have it, even at the worst possible times. There is always someone else worse off than you. It gives an athlete the proper perspective on things.

So, to answer the initial question: To take an endorsement deal or not to take an endorsement deal...It depends, do you have someone not on your payroll that refuses to kiss your caboose and not subscribe to the notion that you "walk on water?" If so, go ahead and take the deal. If not, just say no and walk away.

Asked for it? What is "it" exactly? People wanted to pay him because he helps sell their products. It's not his fault most NFL fans have a subpar I.Q. Your argument makes no sense. Is it the water in the Midwest?

Endorsement deals and flashy commercials that are made and broadcast for a college player that is drafted high and has yet to take a snap in the NFL is due to hype and hype alone. If a person chooses to participate in that hype then he is accepting it. My statement had nothing to do with the fact that he should or should not take the deals. I merely stated to Dan that I thought that HIS statement that RG didn’t ask for it (the hype loluck) may not be correct.

Bob can take as many endorsement deals as he wants but to say that he doesn’t ask for the hype is ludicrous if he does so.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Endorsement deals and flashy commercials that are made and broadcast for a college player that is drafted high and has yet to take a snap in the NFL is due to hype and hype alone. If a person chooses to participate in that hype then he is accepting it. My statement had nothing to do with the fact that he should or should not take the deals. I merely stated to Dan that I thought that HIS statement that RG didn’t ask for it (the hype loluck) may not be correct.

Bob can take as many endorsement deals as he wants but to say that he doesn’t ask for the hype is ludicrous if he does so.

Maybe the fact they can't take endorsement deals in college might have something to do with it. He was a historical college talent, that alone will help sell subs...plus the Heisman...

Hype is the byproduct of the Sportstainment age we now live in. Blame ESPN.

When a player is doing multiple endorsement commercials and trademarking his name BEFORE he has even taken one snap in the NFL, you can’t tell me that he hasn’t asked for it.

FanFromtheWasteland, with all due respect, saying that RG3 asked for the hype is ludicrous and laughable notion to me. #1: Hype is false expectations built up to an elevated level by the fans and sports pundits that no athlete could ever reach. RG3 has no control over that. #2 Taking a deal from a wealthy company or corporation does not mean that you are embracing hype or icon god like status; it simply means that you are usually generating more money to pay off debts, providing for your family who took care of you when you had nothing, and protecting your financial security by using capitalism and striking while the publicity and name recognition is at a high level of anticipation that's all. #3 There is a huge difference between fan projections/expectations and reality. RG3 knows that ultimately his performance on the field will lead to continued success in this league and future endorsement deals. He has to validate his value on the field each and every week to his team mates, his coaching staff, his ownership, and his fan base. If he does that, RG3's career and disposable income will fall in place quite nicely IMO.

No disrespect intended FanFromtheWasteland. I do appreciate your right to freely express your opinion naturally. However, I also have every right to present a counter argument and alternative viewpoint as well. Have a pleasant evening FanFromtheWasteland.

If either one is playing better right now, it's RGIII. That being said, it's a bit early to tell who the better QB is.

Bear in mind, RGIII plays for a decent overall football club and yet the Skins are only 3-4.

Luck plays for the Colts - which is really a handful of very solid players among a sea of mediocre to below average players. Luck enjoys the luxury of playing behind a bottom 5 O-line in the NFL. (Not that the Redskins have a great one, but the Colts' is just that much worse) In spite of that, the Colts are 3-3. (Thank god for Reggie Wayne)

Again, I think if either one gets the nod right now it's RGIII...but given the teams they play for and at this early point in their careers it's just too early to tell.

FanFromtheWasteland, with all due respect, saying that RG3 asked for the hype is ludicrous and laughable notion to me. #1: Hype is false expectations built up to an elevated level by the fans and sports pundits that no athlete could ever reach. RG3 has no control over that. #2 Taking a deal from a wealthy company or corporation does not mean that you are embracing hype or icon god like status; it simply means that you are usually generating more money to pay off debts, providing for your family who took care of you when you had nothing, and protecting your financial security by using capitalism and striking while the publicity and name recognition is at a high level of anticipation that's all. #3 There is a huge difference between fan projections/expectations and reality. RG3 knows that ultimately his performance on the field will lead to continued success in this league and future endorsement deals. He has to validate his value on the field each and every week to his team mates, his coaching staff, his ownership, and his fan base. If he does that, RG3's career and disposable income will fall in place quite nicely IMO.

No disrespect intended FanFromtheWasteland. I do appreciate your right to freely express your opinion naturally. However, I also have every right to present a counter argument and alternative viewpoint as well. Have a pleasant evening FanFromtheWasteland.

No disrespect taken. I do have a couple of quetions for you. Do you think he would be getting these

endorsment deals if it wasnt for the fan and pundit hype? Most college players don't get endorsement

deals. Also since he participates in it he doesn't ask for it? Its seems to me that the more hype he gets

the better his chances to land more deals. So are you saying that he really doesn't want that?

No disrespect taken. I do have a couple of quetions for you. Do you think he would be getting these

endorsment deals if it wasnt for the fan and pundit hype? Most college players don't get endorsement

deals. Also since he participates in it he doesn't ask for it? Its seems to me that the more hype he gets

the better his chances to land more deals. So are you saying that he really doesn't want that?

Let's address these questions 1 by 1 shall we...[Out of order]

1. "It seems to me that the more hype he gets; the better his chances to land more deals."

Actually, I would make the opposite argument. The more games RG3 wins in the NFL, including Playoff games and division titles, the more endorsement deals he lands. Production on the field and heath or the ability to stay on the field and avoid injury leads to more lucrative endorsement deals vs riding the coat tails of any college success achieved. Production matters in the NFL. No one in professional football cares what you did in college it's ancient history. RG3 needs to prove himself over and over again with each NFL season. Don't believe me, just ask Peyton Manning in Denver right now. What he did in INDY means nothing to Broncos team mates and fans. Prove your value every NFL calendar year. No exceptions. Rookie QB or veteran QB it doesn't matter.

2. "Most college players don't get endorsement deals." Most NFL athletes not playing the position of QB don't receive endorsement deals, but a ton of field generals do especially if they go in the 1st round and land in the 1st 10-15 spots on the draft board. Plus, QBs are always the face of the franchise sort of a multi-media ambassador for their respective organizations endorsement deals just come with the territory of being selected in that position to lead a team to the Vince Lombardi Promiseland. Personally, I would give more money to the offensive linemen that protect the QB and give him time to throw downfield but I don't control the financial purse strings nor do I determine how much each player is worth at their respective position either.

Another factor in the endorsement deal question: How valuable is the media market in which a specific college team plays? It's all about TV broadcasting rights and which teams get the highest exposure on TV and the internet say on ESPN and ABC Sports owned by Walt Disney Productions etc. National exposure means more scouts monitor and draft your college team players in the NFL which means higher draft picks and more money for the athlete. Notre Dame getting more publicity on ESPN vs say UW-Madison does. RG3 has no control over media markets and which colleges land the biggest TV broadcasting contracts. Yes, RG3 can determine where to play college football at, but he still needs to produce and show his value to NFL team scouts and that no cake walk or smooth sailing either.

3. So are you saying that he really doesn't want that?

Of course, RG3 wants the money any corporation is offering him. Why kick a gift horse in the mouth? Fame is fleeting and no one is invincible or will be at the top of the NFL cash cow mountain forever. You've gotta grab all the money you can while it's available...Capitalism 101: Take all the greenbacks you can get because if you don't someone else will take it away from you in a heartbeat. RG3 didn't set the price or create the system payment rules. "Don't hate the player hate the rules of the game." haha

4. " Do you think he would be getting these endorsment deals if it wasnt for the fan and pundit hype?"

No, of course not. But the point is RG3 didn't create this manufactured false hype the media did and RG3 knows it. He doesn't believe his press clippings about future greatness because of his upbringing from having 2 parents in the military who taught their son the value of a hard work ethic and you earn all your accomplishments in life. Money won't change RG3 because of solid values instilled in him at an early age IMO. RG3 knows talks is cheap, hype is nonsense, and when the rubber meets the road RG3 must always answer the bell of toughness, execution, and accuracy without fail regardless of roster injuries, weather conditions, or the caliber of your opponent.

He was basically an NFL player already, considering that he had declared for the draft, was a guaranteed top five pick, and had already graduated from college early. I don't see what's wrong with him taking advantage of his phenomenal college year and getting endorsements, especially since everyone already knew that he was destined for greatness in the NFL.

He was basically an NFL player already, considering that he had declared for the draft, was a guaranteed top five pick, and had already graduated from college early. I don't see what's wrong with him taking advantage of his phenomenal college year and getting endorsements, especially since everyone already knew that he was destined for greatness in the NFL.

Preach it brother from the rooftops! Grabbing a pile of endorsement cash is the American way.

Keep producing and winning crucial games and your take home endorsement pie keeps proliferating exponentially…10 fold, 20 fold, 30 fold and up. The sky is the limit baby!

Another thing that helps RG3 is Washington, D.C. it's location and magnitude with movers and shakers... K Street, Lobbying firms, and the heart of Democracy where legislation is bought, made, and sold.

The power brokers of the world reside there...Power, money, and influence live there without the glaring limelight of NY and WallStreet...Money is the bedrock and epicenter there without the scrutiny of the Big Apple.

Luck has yet to play one full 'great' game, so calling him a great QB already is homerism. He will become a great QB for sure, but he is horribly inconsistent and clutch in equal amounts. Griffin - I've no clue, but he appears to be doing very well. I just don't care.

ANd to those Redskins fans who have come on here just to gloat about their man, let it go.

At the end of the day QBs are judged off wins and losses and clutchness in final 2min and OT. Luck has RGIII in both categories

I see the Colts have wins not the Lucks or Griffins.. Its a * argument and if anything the running game/backs played a bigger part in the win than Luck did...

At the end of the day QBs are judged off wins and losses and clutchness in final 2min and OT. Luck has RGIII in both categories

Despite the fact that Griffin has played awfully good ball when he's been called upon at the end of quite a few Skins games and the Skins haven't actually played an OT game yet? I guarantee you you would be giving Luck a heaping load of credit he did EVERYTHING right in orchestrating a game winning drive before Donald Brown fumbled it away on the goal line.

Get out of here with that garbage.

Despite the fact that Griffin has played awfully good ball when he's been called upon at the end of quite a few Skins games and the Skins haven't actually played an OT game yet? I guarantee you you would be giving Luck a heaping load of credit he did EVERYTHING right in orchestrating a game winning drive before Donal Brown fumbled it away on the goal line.

RGIII can have the stats Luck has more wins in less games than RGIII Which is all that matters.

So you get out of here with that garbage

I see the Colts have wins not the Lucks or Griffins.. Its a * argument and if anything the running game/backs played a bigger part in the win than Luck did...

Not really. If Luck doesn't convert that 3rd and 5 at the end of regulation the Titans get the ball back in excellent field position and likely win on a FG.

And as great as the running game was in OT, that 3rd and long completion to Wayne was pretty huge too. Difference between winning the game and going home and hoping that Vinny hits a long FG and having to play defense.

Despite the fact that Griffin has played awfully good ball when he's been called upon at the end of quite a few Skins games and the Skins haven't actually played an OT game yet? I guarantee you you would be giving Luck a heaping load of credit he did EVERYTHING right in orchestrating a game winning drive before Donald Brown fumbled it away on the goal line.

It's not even worth it lol.

RGIII can have the stats Luck has more wins in less games than RGIII Which is all that matters.

So you get out of here with that garbage

Griffin can't play defense for the Washington Redskins. Griffin can't catch passes for his receivers. Griffin can't stop guys from committing a dumb false start, holding, or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at a crucial moment. This is a team game and one guy can only do so much.

You judge a QB based on how much he can do for his team. Wins are one very big indicator of that but they're not everything. You should know better than that. Was Peyton a terrible QB in 2001 when the Colts went 6-10?

RG3 played awful today. Exposed for what he is, an average QB in a good system.

You sure are good at reading stat lines and making false assumptions.

I'm assuming you watched the entire game?

Correct?

Of course he didn't. The people who are most sure of asinine opinions like that never have any clue what they're talking about.

Of course he didn't. The people who are most sure of asinine opinions like that never have any clue what they're talking about.

Honestly, I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't just pop off without having watched the game.

Why did you change your original statement?

You really think Luck played bad today?

LOL

I withdrew it because I didn't want to start WWIII.

And no he didn't play that well, almost got shut out of the pass TD category by Tennessee? WTH?

Yes I watched the game. You know RG3 played terrible when there is a flock of redskins fans coming to his defense on another team's board. LOL.

So if you watched the game what else stood out to you other than RG3 played terrible?

I'm curious......

RGIII was awesome today. Would have been 28 for 34 it it wasn't for the 11 (that's right 11) drops. He was the only reason it wasn't a complete blowout. Luck played real bad (as usual), but was bailed out by his defense. Something RG3 hasn't had the luxury of happening all season.

Griffin can't play defense for the Washington Redskins. Griffin can't catch passes for his receivers. Griffin can't stop guys from committing a dumb false start, holding, or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at a crucial moment. This is a team game and one guy can only do so much.

You judge a QB based on how much he can do for his team. Wins are one very big indicator of that but they're not everything. You should know better than that. Was Peyton a terrible QB in 2001 when the Colts went 6-10?

You sure are good at reading stat lines and making false assumptions.

So the next time the Colts have a bad game, and it is because of things out of Luck's control... You can't bash him for the above reasons. Both guys will hopefully have long productive careers. There will be some good and some bad. Simmer down.

Griffin wasnt horrible. He was getting pressured all day and his WRs def. did not help him out. He wasnt great but far from horrible. The real problem is the Skins defense is atrocious.

One thing though is teams will have some film of a good defensive gameplan for that offense. Should be interesting to see how the Redskins come out next week.

I withdrew it because I didn't want to start WWIII.

And no he didn't play that well, almost got shut out of the pass TD category by Tennessee? WTH?

I figured you withdrew it because you realized how dumb the statement was.

Instead of handing off to Carter for the game tying TD in the 4th, if he would have passed instead it would have meant he played a better game?

I figured you withdrew it because you realized how dumb the statement was.

Instead of handing off to Carter for the game tying TD in the 4th, if he would have passed instead it would have meant he played a better game?

No statement I ever make is dumb.

Including that one

So if you watched the game what else stood out to you other than RG3 played terrible?

I'm curious.....

10 dropped passes where 7 of the were dumpoffs and screens Santana moss dropped two passes right in his hand but got drilled right when he caught it. RGIII overthrew two deep balls which one would have been a TD. Redskins offense is so childish to me running flea flickers when your down 17 and running reverses and sending RGIII out on a deep route and getting nailed by Clark. And when plays broke down steelers bottled up RGIII nicely, and I don't know what Deangelo Hall was thinking and a lot of one read pass plays from the redskins. Redskins was the nationally televised game on fox if you didn't have a local game at 12

Griffin wasnt horrible. He was getting pressured all day and his WRs def. did not help him out. He wasnt great but far from horrible. The real problem is the Skins defense is atrocious.

One thing though is teams will have some film of a good defensive gameplan for that offense. Should be interesting to see how the Redskins come out next week.

No they won't. Any offense looks bad with 11 drops. The Redskins stopped themselves. RG3 was making all the right reads.

RGIII was awesome today. Would have been 28 for 34 it it wasn't for the 11 (that's right 11) drops. He was the only reason it wasn't a complete blowout. Luck played real bad (as usual), but was bailed out by his defense. Something RG3 hasn't had the luxury of happening all season.

Griffin had 11 dropped passes entering the game today.

It will be interesting what his total will be later in the week once stats inc. breaks down the film.

I didn't watch the game, but I doubt it will be 22.