Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck with two min to go

Indyboy757

I have been very impressed with Luck thus far, he has made some mistakes but hey what rookie hasn't, a few bad throws and a few mental mistake but for the most part Colt fans have to be very excited in the direction our team is headed. I clearly understand that furture success depends on the talent we surround Luck with. Thats what make this offseason so intriguing.

I haven't seen anyone bring this up so here goes, Andrews Lucks ability to operate with 2min left before the half or 2min before the end of the game is unbelievable to be a rookie, in crunch time something in this kid turns on and he will extend plays long enough to find a open receiver. Luck has done this in all three games so far. The thing is if he can do this with just two min left in the game then he can do it all 60 min of every game. His ability to extend plays with his legs and convert first down is a double threat for defenders unlike a Cam Newton were as Luck is a bit more structured of a QB. When watching Luck I cant but think at times that the coaches are really holding him back from truly opening it up, I feel he should have a bit more freedom at play calling and being more aggressive. This truly isn't your ordinary rookie and three games in I think he has showed us all why he went first overall. I think that the Colts are trying to protect Luck against the NFL not to be to overwhelmed, but I think he can handle the responsibilities and pressure of his position. Coming out of the bye against the Packers I would love to see the training wheels come off and let the kid loose, the more he is exposed to the stronger he will become. Hate to bring him up but PM did not have a great rookie campaign due to the fact he was on a team that didn't have much talent they had experienced veterans and Peyton was thrown out to the wolves. This kid is special we need to utilize his abilities to make and extend plays in order to compete at our highest potential....

In my opinion coaching staff has high responsibility to start Luck's NFL carrier right. I fully understand that they are protecting him, not unleashing before he gets enough experience (and proper protection). However I think there are some games (clearly not the Packers game on week 5) where could be left more freedom in play calling, like Jags game. So I would rather be careful with exposing him. I think the closer we get to the end of the season (and the more experience Luck gets), the more will he be "let loose" on the field.

I have been very impressed with Luck thus far, he has made some mistakes but hey what rookie hasn't, a few bad throws and a few mental mistake but for the most part Colt fans have to be very excited in the direction our team is headed. I clearly understand that furture success depends on the talent we surround Luck with. Thats what make this offseason so intriguing.

I haven't seen anyone bring this up so here goes, Andrews Lucks ability to operate with 2min left before the half or 2min before the end of the game is unbelievable to be a rookie, in crunch time something in this kid turns on and he will extend plays long enough to find a open receiver. Luck has done this in all three games so far. The thing is if he can do this with just two min left in the game then he can do it all 60 min of every game. His ability to extend plays with his legs and convert first down is a double threat for defenders unlike a Cam Newton were as Luck is a bit more structured of a QB. When watching Luck I cant but think at times that the coaches are really holding him back from truly opening it up, I feel he should have a bit more freedom at play calling and being more aggressive. This truly isn't your ordinary rookie and three games in I think he has showed us all why he went first overall. I think that the Colts are trying to protect Luck against the NFL not to be to overwhelmed, but I think he can handle the responsibilities and pressure of his position. Coming out of the bye against the Packers I would love to see the training wheels come off and let the kid loose, the more he is exposed to the stronger he will become. Hate to bring him up but PM did not have a great rookie campaign due to the fact he was on a team that didn't have much talent they had experienced veterans and Peyton was thrown out to the wolves. This kid is special we need to utilize his abilities to make and extend plays in order to compete at our highest potential....

Most every fan falls into the trap of believing that things which work nearly every time when used part of the time would work well if used all the time. If that were true, every team would run their offense like they do when they are behind in the 4th quarter.

it honestly is mostly the defense. they play good defense the first 3 games in the first half

Chicago game - colts were down 24-14 at half time. second half allowed 17 points and couldnt move the ball until late in the 4th qtr.

Minneosta - colts were up 17-6 at half time out scored 14-6 in the second half

Jax - colts were up 14-3 at half time got out scored 19-3 in the second half including a 80 yard touchdown in under a minute to go in the game.

colts have been outscored in the second half 50-12. if your defense can not play a full game, your going to get beat. and it is proving it with indy. thats not even saying the offense is non existent in the second half also only putting up a total of 12 points in the second half when in the first half they outscore their opponents 45- 33 in the first half. a big drop off from the first half offensive production and the second half offensive production.

Cleveland, who drafted more like I would have drafted, is a lot closer to being a good team than we are.

They are a few plays away from being a dominant team. They have lost some close ones to some very good teams.

My point is that they abandon the run almost every game and they have Trent F***** Richardson.

So if Cleveland can abandon the run, why can't we?

Well, I think that Arians is afraid to have luck throw more because our OLine can't protect him as much and they are afraid he will turn the ball over more, and/or he will get injured.

What I don't agree with is calling run plays when you drafted a bunch of Receiving threats. Why aren't there more bubble screens to get some of these speedsters into the open field? I've only seen one deep ball to T.Y. all season. I just don't get the play calling.

it honestly is mostly the defense. they play good defense the first 3 games in the first half

Chicago game - colts were down 24-14 at half time. second half allowed 17 points and couldnt move the ball until late in the 4th qtr.

Minneosta - colts were up 17-6 at half time out scored 14-6 in the second half

Jax - colts were up 14-3 at half time got out scored 19-3 in the second half including a 80 yard touchdown in under a minute to go in the game.

colts have been outscored in the second half 50-12. if your defense can not play a full game, your going to get beat. and it is proving it with indy. thats not even saying the offense is non existent in the second half also only putting up a total of 12 points in the second half when in the first half they outscore their opponents 45- 33 in the first half. a big drop off from the first half offensive production and the second half offensive production.

Defense is getting beat in teh second half because we can't run the ball.

We try to run to clock manage. We fail. Defense ends up being on teh field an increased number of minutes in the second half, they get tired and give up big plays.

We try to run to clock manage. We fail. Defense ends up being on teh field an increased number of minutes in the second half, they get tired and give up big plays.

The weak spot of that argument is perfectly illustrated in the Jags game: we gave up a touchdown on the first defensive play of the second half. We actually held the ball longer than they did in the second half, and then, on their last offensive drive, we gave up another touchdown on the first play of the drive.

I don't think they wore us down; I think execution just broke down, particularly on the Shorts touchdown, on which we had a deep reserve on the field and his mistake gave up the big play.

The weak spot of that argument is perfectly illustrated in the Jags game: we gave up a touchdown on the first defensive play of the second half. We actually held the ball longer than they did in the second half, and then, on their last offensive drive, we gave up another touchdown on the first play of the drive.

I don't think they wore us down; I think execution just broke down, particularly on the Shorts touchdown, on which we had a deep reserve on the field and his mistake gave up the big play.

yeah, other than the two major mistakes, the defense played pretty well in the second half. we were forcing punts towards the end of the game when we had to have them

Luck has been very good in the two minute drill. Partly because he was able to call a lot of the plays at Stanford and they at times ran a very good hurry-up offense. That experience has helped Luck transition into the NFL nicely.

As for the breakdown of our poor second half performances, it really has been a combination of poor execution both offensively and defensively. I would agree that we were very conservative the second half of the Vikings game, but we were not as much during the Jaguars game. We simply did not execute well offensively, and had a lapse on just a few BIG plays defensively.

Lol i just said the same exact thing on another post lol. and your right. we dont have a run game to save our lives. which is why i dont understand why we keep trying to establish a run game when the passing game is working just fine. let luck make plays himself. actually maybe luck is our leading rusher for the season so far.... am i wrong? i prob am but it isnt off by much lol. Luck is our RB and QB all in one this year haha.

Cleveland, who drafted more like I would have drafted, is a lot closer to being a good team than we are.

They are a few plays away from being a dominant team. They have lost some close ones to some very good teams.

My point is that they abandon the run almost every game and they have Trent F***** Richardson.

So if Cleveland can abandon the run, why can't we?

Well, I think that Arians is afraid to have luck throw more because our OLine can't protect him as much and they are afraid he will turn the ball over more, and/or he will get injured.

What I don't agree with is calling run plays when you drafted a bunch of Receiving threats. Why aren't there more bubble screens to get some of these speedsters into the open field? I've only seen one deep ball to T.Y. all season. I just don't get the play calling.

Like your response but you said it the Browns had more draft picks due to the trade with the Falcons plus we just let go half our starters from last year in the offseason the Browns are suppose to be better but we are not far behind if not better we have just had some injuries that have slowed down our progress, the reason you see the Brown abandon the run is because they fall behind and are forced to throw to try an stay in the game. I do agree with you on Arians not wanting to get Luck hurt, I can understand that to a degree its a long season but he should have some freedom in the game and make plays

Lol i just said the same exact thing on another post lol. and your right. we dont have a run game to save our lives. which is why i dont understand why we keep trying to establish a run game when the passing game is working just fine. let luck make plays himself. actually maybe luck is our leading rusher for the season so far.... am i wrong? i prob am but it isnt off by much lol. Luck is our RB and QB all in one this year haha.

Luck has a better YPC then any other RB on the team but not yards, my question is we know that the running game isn't working and I'm not sure it can be fixed this year but how do we fix it O-line or Running back or both come next year.

People really need to stop convincing themselves that it is the play calling that is killing our team, rather than execution.

It's more of a combination of both. Arians is putting the offense in position that requires precise execution, and for various reasons the offense hasn't been executing as well as they should.

Luck has been far more inaccurate than advertised(and even more so on shorter passes), the line has been as advertised and Brown has been Brown... He'll hit something big and have a few dud's.

Arians isn't doing the team many favors, but the players aren't producing for the most part.

Luck has been far more inaccurate than advertised (and even more so on shorter passes), the line has been as advertised and Brown has been Brown... He'll hit something big and have a few dud's.

Luck has been as poised as advertised but yes, I agree he has been more inaccurate than advertised. He has been better than we thought he would be in the two minute drill, hands down.

I hate to admit it but RG3 does have a MUCH better deep ball than Luck. After watching Luck consistently underthrow Avery in the Bears game, and other games plus watching RG3's deep balls recently makes me think that it may not be timing after all. Maybe Phil Simms did have a point about that deep ball of Luck. Once people realize that, they will NEVER provide safety help over the top with our outside wideouts if Luck does not connect on a few sooner than later. It surely does not help that most of the throws Luck has to make, he rarely gets to step into the pocket comfortably which seems to be less existent than with the case of RG3. Luck has to get used to throwing a lot too because of our woeful running game, something he did not have to do at Stanford.

Luck has been as poised as advertised but yes, I agree he has been more inaccurate than advertised. He has been better than we thought he would be in the two minute drill, hands down.

I hate to admit it but RG3 does have a MUCH better deep ball than Luck. After watching Luck consistently underthrow Avery in the Bears game, and other games plus watching RG3's deep balls recently makes me think that it may not be timing after all. Maybe Phil Simms did have a point about that deep ball of Luck. Once people realize that, they will NEVER provide safety help over the top with our outside wideouts if Luck does not connect on a few sooner than later. It surely does not help that most of the throws Luck has to make, he rarely gets to step into the pocket comfortably which seems to be less existent than with the case of RG3. Luck has to get used to throwing a lot too because of our woeful running game, something he did not have to do at Stanford.

It's a mixed bag.. In some ways he's looked better than expected and in some ways you wonder when it will get better.

Tendencies build over time, and a staff can consciously put in plays to attempt to break those tendencies...

Arians seems set in his ways... If I can track tendencies with what little time I put into it, I'm sure the Quality control staffs have a pretty good idea on where the plays are headed because I'm sure they have those tendencies tracked in much greater detail.

I'm having a hard time understanding those who want Luck to throw more.....

Game #1 23-45, 309

Game #2 20-31, 224

Game #3 22-46, 313

He's thrown 45 times twice in two games. The one time he didn't, he threw 31 times and the team won.

Where's the problem? I have no desire to see him throw the ball 45 times every game. If he's throwing that many times, the team is losing. It's not a surprise that we lost the two games that he threw that many times in. And yet there are those here in this thread and other threads who say.... "The coaches have to turn Andrew loose." Where? When? 45 pass attempts in a game seems pretty darn loose to me....

Here's a question..... how do you know he's not already been turned loose? How do you know he has restrictions on what he can call? This feels like a solution in search of a problem.

Perhaps if we can get a healthy OL for a just a few games we might have a better idea of how good, or not good, they are, or, are not. But so far, it's been a patch-work OL through three games. So, while it's a terrible OL so far, it might be OK if we can just play the same 5 players for some stretch of time. Maybe we might develop an OK running game? (OK, that might be a reach, but maybe, possibly, a slim chance...)

Otherwise, I have no desire to see Luck throw the ball more.

I'm having a hard time understanding those who want Luck to throw more.....

Game #1 23-45, 309

Game #2 20-31, 224

Game #3 22-46, 313

He's thrown 45 times twice in two games. The one time he didn't, he threw 31 times and the team won.

Where's the problem? I have no desire to see him throw the ball 45 times every game. If he's throwing that many times, the team is losing. It's not a surprise that we lost the two games that he threw that many times in. And yet there are those here in this thread and other threads who say.... "The coaches have to turn Andrew loose." Where? When? 45 pass attempts in a game seems pretty darn loose to me....

Here's a question..... how do you know he's not already been turned loose? How do you know he has restrictions on what he can call? This feels like a solution in search of a problem.

Perhaps if we can get a healthy OL for a just a few games we might have a better idea of how good, or not good, they are, or, are not. But so far, it's been a patch-work OL through three games. So, while it's a terrible OL so far, it might be OK if we can just play the same 5 players for some stretch of time. Maybe we might develop an OK running game? (OK, that might be a reach, but maybe, possibly, a slim chance...)

Otherwise, I have no desire to see Luck throw the ball more.

Looks like to me that he has a set of training wheels on when it comes to audibles, because there have been plenty of plays that just had zero chance of being successful. It doesn't seem that he has been given the green light to turn a called inside run, to an outside run or a screen, or quick slant or any other play that would likely produce a better result. Some coaches don't give much lead-way in doing that. It doesn't seem like he has much available to him when it comes to that.

I think some would rather put the ball in his hands and let him try to make a plan than to run a play that has a limited chance of succeeding.

As much "praise" he received from from Arians and Pagano during the pre-season it doesn't make much sense to handcuff him the way that it looks like he's being hand-cuffed.

I don't know if he is "turned loose", but if he is "turned loose", then there have been plenty of negative & minimally productive plays that he should have avoided. So I hope this isn't "turned loose".

I'm using the "turned loose" only in the regards to having the ability to change a call, as opposed to sling it 70 times a game. I'm not stumping for that.

Looks like to me that he has a set of training wheels on when it comes to audibles, because there have been plenty of plays that just had zero chance of being successful. It doesn't seem that he has been given the green light to turn a called inside run, to an outside run or a screen, or quick slant or any other play that would likely produce a better result. Some coaches don't give much lead-way in doing that. It doesn't seem like he has much available to him when it comes to that.

I think some would rather put the ball in his hands and let him try to make a plan than to run a play that has a limited chance of succeeding.

As much "praise" he received from from Arians and Pagano during the pre-season it doesn't make much sense to handcuff him the way that it looks like he's being hand-cuffed.

I don't know if he is "turned loose", but if he is "turned loose", then there have been plenty of negative & minimally productive plays that he should have avoided. So I hope this isn't "turned loose".

I'm using the "turned loose" only in the regards to having the ability to change a call, as opposed to sling it 70 times a game. I'm not stumping for that.

Well.... if this is your observation, FJC, then I'm going to have to give it extra consideration... you've earned that kind of respect and more... :worthy:

But to me, it makes no logical sense that Luck is not allowed to audible from an inside run to an outside run if that's what he thinks would work. He did it at Stanford, and the coaches have raved about his command of the playbook. To handcuff him would be completely illogical.

So, I hope soon someone in the media will ask and try to get Pagano to say something.... (though, frankly, it may not be wise for Pags to reveal what, if any, limitation are on Luck.... don't want to tip-off opposing D's) Still, I'm curious... I've been saying since I arrived that Andrew's mind is his best asset, so to put limitations on it seems counter-productive...

Still.. thanks for your view.... now, if we can just have someone try to get it confirmed one way or the other.... :scratch:

Well.... if this is your observation, FJC, then I'm going to have to give it extra consideration... you've earned that kind of respect and more... :worthy:

But to me, it makes no logical sense that Luck is not allowed to audible from an inside run to an outside run if that's what he thinks would work. He did it at Stanford, and the coaches have raved about his command of the playbook. To handcuff him would be completely illogical.

So, I hope soon someone in the media will ask and try to get Pagano to say something.... (though, frankly, it may not be wise for Pags to reveal what, if any, limitation are on Luck.... don't want to tip-off opposing D's) Still, I'm curious... I've been saying since I arrived that Andrew's mind is his best asset, so to put limitations on it seems counter-productive...

Still.. thanks for your view.... now, if we can just have someone try to get it confirmed one way or the other.... :scratch:

Thanks,

I agree to handcuff him would be illogical, but if he doesn't have some form of restrictions in place then he is doing a below average bordering on poor job at avoiding some of these poor runs.

I'm not sure how he or Arians would answer those questions...

luck and rg3 look impressive. luck with little time has gotten the job done in some cases and looked good. rg3 was really a specimen today and has been really unbelievable as far as efficiency. hard to fathom how these two can't miss QB's have really lived up to expectations which is SOOO hard to do. Luck has a lot to learn and could be something else. rg3 is out of a different mold with being so accurate and an athlete extraordinare and able to run the ball on purpose. i'll be armchairing for years to come watching these two. Can you say Brady/Manning?

again my point exactly. we cant run the ball, so throw the ball. even if its for 4 or 5 yards at a time atleast were picking up yardage and not losing yards.

Luck has a better YPC then any other RB on the team but not yards, my question is we know that the running game isn't working and I'm not sure it can be fixed this year but how do we fix it O-line or Running back or both come next year.

Honestly i believe the Oline needs fixed. this is an oline that was put together just to get through the year. Grigson was an Olinemen himself i believe so he knows what to look for. a couple weeks ago i said in next years draft the first two or three rounds we need to draft linemen, but we can get that through FA. and keep the draft for defensive players which we need badly especially in the secondary. but i would not be against in using our first rounder on a linemen.

Reason i say linemen is needed is because we have drafted Addai, Brown, and Carter then Ballard this year, and out of those backs we have only had a RB rush for 1,000 yards once in the last 6 years i believe and that was Addai the year we won the superbowl. Brown could be a good back and possibly a 1,000 yard back if the line was better. but if the colts are going to focus on the line to make the run game better in next years draft, then its going to be 2014 2015 the earliest that the colts even start to make noise. because we all know that defensive secondary needs help more then anything. and with good DB's coming out of college and going into next years draft along with good LB's i think we need to address the defense and use FA to fix the line. IDK though, it will all be figured out half way or 3/4 of the way through the season. I would like to see how they fair against Houston, thats the game that scares me with luck. Houston tends to play alittle dirty but they keep it legal.