Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where We Stand in Rankings

HtownColt

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/41496/where-they-stand-in-key-categories-26

• The Colts moved from 24th to 14th in offense thanks to 437 yards against the Jaguars, and vaulted from 20th to 10th in third-down offense by converting 10 of 19 against Jacksonville.
  • Indy’s rushing defense dropped from 14th to 25th thanks to Maurice Jones-Drew, but the passing defense jumped from 25th to 14th thanks to Blaine Gabbert.

I agree. Perhaps I should have emphasized more, that I'm happy with our current ranking. Medicore isn't bad not just for the last season, but for the process of rebuilding/reloading.

My apologies it wasn't meant to be a slight towards you, more gallows humour in that last season was so bad you'd almost celebrate mediocre!

Very small and uneven sample size which is why you are seeing teams jump around so much week to week but the good news is we are making progress over last year. That's what I have said I wanted to see this team do this year just make progress.

I agree... But to go one step farther, stats aren't produced in a vacuum. The Colts are posting mediocre stats in part because they've only played against the bottom of the barrel.

Let's hope the team keeps improving at a rapid rate so it continues to look mediocre all season...

I'm don't put much value in "rankings". They can be a bit misleading.

Prefer core #'s.

It is early so it is not exactly apples to apples, but here is the comparison to 2010, 2011 & This year.

scomparison20101112.jpg

Thank you for posting these numbers, tend to agree you with you on rankings, especially as not every team plays each other it's not a fair comparison.

Even if we can't have a discussion about apples I think we can already see an improvement on offense from last year without quite having reached the polish/cutting edge of 2010, especially on 3rd downs. Still can't run the ball though ;).

What worries me more is the defense doesn't seem to have improved but what do you expect really, a fairer test of the new FO's influence I think will be after a draft where they haven't gone offense mad. Still the numbers are strangely consistent considering we've changed system.

I'm don't put much value in "rankings". They can be a bit misleading.

Prefer core #'s.

It is early so it is not exactly apples to apples, but here is the comparison to 2010, 2011 & This year.

scomparison20101112.jpg

So in a nutshell, our passing game has improved, while our running game has not. On Defense, we're giving up way too many points, and way too many yards per pass on average. So far, our average yards per rush is the same as last year. Where did we rank on run defense last year?

Sounds a real nfl team... the old colts team picked one spot and stayed in it (the worst spot)... especially the defense.

This team is only gonna get better... colts now have vontae davis, powers, butler as their corners... thats some good corners right there.

this defense is top 15 overall by the end of this season... or better.

This team is only gonna get better... colts now have vontae davis, powers, butler as their corners... thats some good corners right there.

And we are still getting ran and passed on. Good corners doesn't solve our problem. We need pass rushers and run stuffers. Our D-line isn't up to par. If we don't have a NT that commands a double team, our DE's won't be able to hold their gap, if they can't hold their gaps, our OLB's can't blitz, if our OLB's can't blitz you give the opponents WR's time to get open or the RB's holes to run through.

this defense is top 15 overall by the end of this season... or better.

In terms of total defensive points given up, we are sitting at 25th in the league and we've played the Bears, the Vikings and the Jags...yikes. What is the logic behind being a top 15 overall defense by the end of the season considering we are going to face 5 teams that are currently in the top 15 in terms of total offensive points? Serious question...

I'd like to believe that, but we have a long way to go on defense and our opponents aren't getting any easier. Bottom 15 defense is almost a certainty.

And we are still getting ran and passed on. Good corners doesn't solve our problem. We need pass rushers and run stuffers. Our D-line isn't up to par. If we don't have a NT that commands a double team, our DE's won't be able to hold their gap, if they can't hold their gaps, our OLB's can't blitz, if our OLB's can't blitz you give the opponents WR's time to get open or the RB's holes to run through.

In terms of total defensive points given up, we are sitting at 25th in the league and we've played the Bears, the Vikings and the Jags...yikes. What is the logic behind being a top 15 overall defense by the end of the season considering we are going to face 5 teams that are currently in the top 15 in terms of total offensive points? Serious question...

I'd like to believe that, but we have a long way to go on defense and our opponents aren't getting any easier. Bottom 15 defense is almost a certainty.

No one here believes Mookie will stay as the colts starting NT he's an ok 4-3 guy but putrid NT.

The the colts have been getting better at rushing the passer they just need a true NT and right now the colts have two... When Martin stepped in on defense vs the Jags the defense performed better against the run and I expect when Chapman comes back they will get better.

As you go on deeper into the season your team gets better or worse as I'm sure you already know. The colts have all the tools to have that big upside

No one here believes Mookie will stay as the colts starting NT he's an ok 4-3 guy but putrid NT.

Completely agree. I was actually expecting him to get cut this season because he isn't a good NT. He could be used in the 4-3, but I'm not worried there either with Nevis,Moala and Mathews.

The the colts have been getting better at rushing the passer they just need a true NT and right now the colts have two... When Martin stepped in on defense vs the Jags the defense performed better against the run and I expect when Chapman comes back they will get better.

We've only had 3 games to gauge this defense. But so far the numbers are brutal.

Bears : put up 428 net yards, 26 first downs but we had 2 sacks from Mathis and a pick 6 from Freeman

Vikings : 327 total yards, 19 first downs, 4 sacks (Freeman,Conner,Mathis,Hughes) <---these are the numbers we need every game to win.

Jaguars : 333 total yards, 15 first downs, 1 sack from Mathis.

I wouldn't say it is getting better by any means. We had a good showing against the Vikings and we won that game. But we can agree that NT is a big problem. Tevasue is better than Johnson, I just don't know if he'll get the playing time despite the production. I think we'll see Chapman come back around week 7/8 and hopefully he'll get to put in his time and improve line, but we still need another DE opposite Redding. I'd rather have Nevis there than Moala personally.

Completely agree. I was actually expecting him to get cut this season because he isn't a good NT. He could be used in the 4-3, but I'm not worried there either with Nevis,Moala and Mathews.

We've only had 3 games to gauge this defense. But so far the numbers are brutal.

Bears : put up 428 net yards, 26 first downs but we had 2 sacks from Mathis and a pick 6 from Freeman

Vikings : 327 total yards, 19 first downs, 4 sacks (Freeman,Conner,Mathis,Hughes) <---these are the numbers we need every game to win.

Jaguars : 333 total yards, 15 first downs, 1 sack from Mathis.

I wouldn't say it is getting better by any means. We had a good showing against the Vikings and we won that game. But we can agree that NT is a big problem. Tevasue is better than Johnson, I just don't know if he'll get the playing time despite the production. I think we'll see Chapman come back around week 7/8 and hopefully he'll get to put in his time and improve line, but we still need another DE opposite Redding. I'd rather have Nevis there than Moala personally.

I think Johnson got pulled from the game and they put Martin in, I have nothing to prove that but all of a sudden Johnson got pulled and they put Martin in. As for moala I think he's decent but I agree Nevis is the better de he's much quicker than any current De the colts have right now

I think Johnson got pulled from the game and they put Martin in, I have nothing to prove that but all of a sudden Johnson got pulled and they put Martin in. As for moala I think he's decent but I agree Nevis is the better de he's much quicker than any current De the colts have right now

Probably just standard sub in sub out that usually happens on D. Gotta keep fresh bodies in there. Either way, even when Chapman comes back, I don't think we'll see a top 15 defense until next year at the earliest. There are still too many 4-3 bodies in a 3-4 system. SS, ILB, OLB, NT, DE could all stand to be upgraded.