Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are who I thought we weren't

lollygagger8

I thought we were supposed to get better at blocking the run? We have flashes of brilliance, and then we fall back into the same old bend don't break philosophy for some reason. What is going on?

I have seen more than I care to see of Zbis. He watched Jones-Drew run right past him on the TD run. It's time to left Lefeged go back in. Lefeged is playing his tail off on special teams and deserves a chance.

Donald Brown. It's not always the line's fault, he is SO inconsitent. When he turns the speed on as soon as he gets the ball, he usually does alright. When he does the pitter patter happy feet.... loss of yards and gets blasted. Maybe he watched Addai too much? At least Ballard falls forwards.

Our Special Teams is at least better, so I'm thankful for that. I'm also thankful for Andrew Luck. His poscket presence/awareness is excetional. Unfortunately he's our leading rusher in this Jax game right now. We can't keep that up.

I had such high hopes for Austin Collie this year......Uuuggghhhhhh. At least Avery is a stud.

When we just kept running the ball and kicked the FG (the last one) I even turned and told my girlfriend that I was going to come back and bite us. :(

Why did we not go for a TD??? I'm over the whole conservative play calling. Especially when you know Davis went out and of course they expolited #38 for the win.

When we just kept running the ball and kicked the FG (the last one) I even turned and told my girlfriend that I was going to come back and bite us. :(

Why did we not go for a TD??? I'm over the whole conservative play calling. Especially when you know Davis went out and of course they expolited #38 for the win.

This

I thought we were supposed to get better at blocking the run? We have flashes of brilliance, and then we fall back into the same old bend don't break philosophy for some reason. What is going on?

I have seen more than I care to see of Zbis. He watched Jones-Drew run right past him on the TD run. It's time to left Lefeged go back in. Lefeged is playing his tail off on special teams and deserves a chance.

Donald Brown. It's not always the line's fault, he is SO inconsitent. When he turns the speed on as soon as he gets the ball, he usually does alright. When he does the pitter patter happy feet.... loss of yards and gets blasted. Maybe he watched Addai too much? At least Ballard falls forwards.

Our Special Teams is at least better, so I'm thankful for that. I'm also thankful for Andrew Luck. His poscket presence/awareness is excetional. Unfortunately he's our leading rusher in this Jax game right now. We can't keep that up.

I had such high hopes for Austin Collie this year......Uuuggghhhhhh. At least Avery is a stud.

You're right! I thought we would get beat down on a weekly basis this year which I was prepared for. Instead, we play only one half of football per game and we lose heartbreakers which hurt more. Stop getting my hopes up! LOL!

As a Colts fan I'm upset with everything from the play calling.. defense.. O-line.. to the terrible FG kicking.

But..

Understanding how the game works.. I seen all this coming like most of us did. We knew that this team would have a ruff year with all the new changes that where made(The new system.. coaches and players)

We still can't run or stop it. Just two of the many problems we have. The one thing that still bothers me to this day is the fact we got two top DE's in the league as LB's.. That's like turning a CB to a WR just because he's fast.. stupid IMO.

Anyway... We just have to take our lumps and keep moving forward.

I'm waiting to re-watch the run game on NFL Rewind, but my impression on DB's "pitter patter feet" was that the holes weren't opening up. That's the O line's problem.

And for the record, Donald averaged 3.4 YPC this game. Ballard only averaged 2.4 YPC. Maybe it's because he's hitting holes that aren't open? That's probably worse than dancing around in the backfield.

I'm waiting to re-watch the run game on NFL Rewind, but my impression on DB's "pitter patter feet" was that the holes weren't opening up. That's the O line's problem.

And for the record, Donald averaged 3.4 YPC this game. Ballard only averaged 2.4 YPC. Maybe it's because he's hitting holes that aren't open? That's probably worse than dancing around in the backfield.

I know the O-Line is 90% of the problem, but let's run him around the pile instead of trying to run up the middle. That gets rid of the pitter patter feet, and let's him blast off straight from the hole and show off his speed.

I know the O-Line is 90% of the problem, but let's run him around the pile instead of trying to run up the middle. That gets rid of the pitter patter feet, and let's him blast off straight from the hole and show off his speed.

I don't think it's really that simple. The teams that can do that (e.g. the Texans, Vikings) are blocking cohesively and really seal off the edges. Our blocking is so fragmented, and there is so much penetration, even around the edges. I'm betting if they tried to bounce it outside, it'd be an even bigger loss.

I will say, though, when the Colts line is doing its job well, DB does really really well running to the outside. Today's game was full of these plays. It's too bad the O line can't do it consistently.

Then run Brown in some screens to slow down the blitz!

I don't think it's really that simple. The teams that can do that (e.g. the Texans, Vikings) are blocking cohesively and really seal off the edges. Our blocking is so fragmented, and there is so much penetration, even around the edges. I'm betting if they tried to bounce it outside, it'd be an even bigger loss.

I will say, though, when the Colts line is doing its job well, DB does really really well running to the outside. Today's game was full of these plays. It's too bad the O line can't do it consistently.

Why aren't we running screens with Brown catching the ball to get him in the open field?