Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kerry Collins Signed

BlueRedZone

If Manning is not ready to play, Collins is a nice pickup that is capable of helping us win games. It was pretty clear Painter did not have the ability to do that.

With that being said, I think it's a good pickup and provides good insurance. I still believe that Manning will start week 1 though. We shall see.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Maybe the Colts really wanted to see if Painter could transfer his practice abilities to the field (because in all three years Painter has been excellent in practice... a quick study, makes all the throws, understand his assignments. He's just like the deer hunter who has a grouping the size of a quarter on the range but gets the shakes when he has a deer in his sights, Painter just cannot handle the situation when bodies are flying around him, thus why I have always compared him to Rob Johnson). Now that he has had the opportunity and did not show the improvement or consistency that Caldwell talks about, the Colts went a different route."The fact is no one knows how things were handled regarding Kerry, so it's impossible for anyone to say it should have been handled differently.

My thoughts exactly :ref:

Good post and I agree 100%. I think they were hoping Painter would pan out but he can't take the pressure evidently. I worked at Training Camp and he did well at Camp but game playing is a different thing completely. I think this was a good move and think Collins will help until Peyton can take over. Hope he can at least start in game 1 to keep his streak going. Time will tell. We also need a back up in case something should happen. Hope we don't need him for that but would be nice to have one that is capable.

YES LORD ! :number1:

Who knows, lots of guys talk to reporters as long as they don't give up who they were. That's why he said sources. My guess is it wasn't a Polian and they control what comes out in terms of offical news which is why it wont be released as offical news.

It was Painter who told Mort that Peyton probably wasn't going to play week 1. :huthut:

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If Peyton cannot go, Collins will play with simplified playbook. Would you rather have a complex playbook run by Painter or a simplified playbook run by Collins until Peyton returns?

whats the difference between losing by 30 or losing by 10?

I like the pick-up overall. Collins is the type of back-up I felt we needed and could afford. Going forward, I feel the Colts need a vet and develpmental QB behind manning. Peyton isn't getting any younger. Collins should be able to manage our capable Offensive weapons. He doesn't have to be Manning (provided the D steps up). He's a vet, knows his role, and has seen alot. He will help us get more out of players at practice too.

It is looking more and more like Manning could miss a game or more. It just feels like its going that way.

What we need, is someone to give us a chance. We need to feel comfortable our "backup" can move the chains, at least. Painter and Orlovsky haven't been showing they can do that(at least not vs StL & Was). Perhaps after cuts more QB options will come available.

I think I'd like this pickup even if Manning was 100% now.

We need to weather this storm like Pitt did the other year with Little Ben. We need someone to win us half the games he's out. Get Manning healthy and make our "run". This certainly would hurt home field chances but it is what it is.

I certainly hope he starts right away. I think we have seen enough of Painter to last a lifetime. We know what he can't do in games so lets get Kerry in there. I wouldn't care if they kept Orlovsky and cut Painter. lol What are the odds of that happening????

Speaking Of Backup With Kerry Collins There

We Can Cut Painter(Make Reggie Mad Enuff To Not Resign)

We Can Cut Orlovsky (Save Our Self From Potential back Of End Zone Safetys)

& Keep The Undrafted Kid Hartline Hartline Would Have A Decent Qb & The Greatest Qb To Learn From

Who Knows Maybe He Could Be The Next Aaron Rodgers

Is That 2 Far Fetched? Idk Smoke & Mirrors

I Hope That Is The Case & There Just bringing In Collins To Keep Us Undeafeted When We Get Those 14 Straight Wins ?

Nice Knowing Ya Painter Bright Side is You Still Have A Shot At Being Eli's Backup ;)

This move concerns and confuses me. The guy was retired and he is a 1yr backup at most. Why do you sign a 1 year backup QB? The colts need a backup QB they can groom to take over for manning, This singing of 17 year veteran Kerry Collins only spells trouble for me. We had no legitimate backup last year either and the front office didn't run out and sign anyone. That alone spells out that they are very worried about Manning. I hope Collins is getting in his snaps because he's going to need them, and if were going to beat Houston he needs to be reading the playbook and memorizing it as we speak.

This move concerns and confuses me. The guy was retired and he is a 1yr backup at most. Why do you sign a 1 year backup QB? The colts need a backup QB they can groom to take over for manning, This singing of 17 year veteran Kerry Collins only spells trouble for me. We had no legitimate backup last year either and the front office didn't run out and sign anyone. That alone spells out that they are very worried about Manning. I hope Collins is getting in his snaps because he's going to need them, and if were going to beat Houston he needs to be reading the playbook and memorizing it as we speak.

Ummm no thank you, peytons contract is 5yrs as we all know and who knows he might even try to play after that contract expires. the colts dont need some 26 or 27yr old trying to take any reighs. They will draft him when its right, someone said they hope all collins is doing is kneeling in the 4th quarter if thats the case they wouldnt have signed him. One interesting stat is that in the recent years Collins always loses his first games... like in 06, 09, 10 and in 2010 he started 0-6..... So yea we'll see what he brings to the table, puzzles me why the colts would go and get someone retired anyway. Only way it would make sense to do that is if they were getting farve buuuut yeaa.

Ummm no thank you, peytons contract is 5yrs as we all know and who knows he might even try to play after that contract expires. the colts dont need some 26 or 27yr old trying to take any reighs. They will draft him when its right, someone said they hope all collins is doing is kneeling in the 4th quarter if thats the case they wouldnt have signed him. One interesting stat is that in the recent years Collins always loses his first games... like in 06, 09, 10 and in 2010 he started 0-6..... So yea we'll see what he brings to the table, puzzles me why the colts would go and get someone retired anyway. Only way it would make sense to do that is if they were getting farve buuuut yeaa.

How long did Aaron Rodgers play backup to Brett Favre? Thats the scenario the colts need.

Read in the Star this morning that the Colts contacted Collins on Saturday. Which seems logical considering Irsays comments on friday night and his tweet on saturday. So if that is true, this idea that the Colts have been negotiating with Collins or reaching out to him for weeks is incorrect. Also saw that he is making 4 mill this season.

Read in the Star this morning that the Colts contacted Collins on Saturday. Which seems logical considering Irsays comments on friday night and his tweet on saturday. So if that is true, this idea that the Colts have been negotiating with Collins or reaching out to him for weeks is incorrect. Also saw that he is making 4 mill this season.

4 MILLION! I HOPE that is not true.

4 MILLION! I HOPE that is not true.

unfortunately it is. I say "unfortunately" because what that tells me is that the club is all but sure that Peyton will miss some (possibly) significant time, and we are putting it on Kerry to guide us through that time.

but I have no issue with the signing, just the timing.

More concerning to me is the report that they didn't contact Collins until Saturday. Looks like complete incompetence on part of the front office.

when i pointed this out before it was known that he was only called on Saturday, I was blasted by a good number of people on here for my opinion.

when i pointed this out before it was known that he was only called on Saturday, I was blasted by a good number of people on here for my opinion.

Some people don't want to believe that the Colts would ever make a mistake.

It's ridiculous to wait until Saturday to start searching for another option at QB and it's even more ridiculous to believe at any point in time that Painter may be a real option at QB. The guy could not even handle the pressure his senior year at Purdue, he hasn't handled the pressure up here ever. Not sure why they expected that to magically change this year.

Some people don't want to believe that the Colts would ever make a mistake.

It's ridiculous to wait until Saturday to start searching for another option at QB and it's even more ridiculous to believe at any point in time that Painter may be a real option at QB. The guy could not even handle the pressure his senior year at Purdue, he hasn't handled the pressure up here ever. Not sure why they expected that to magically change this year.

Ah hello....News of Mannings setback just broke late last week. Everybody thinks they know everything but they know crapp.

Ah hello....News of Mannings setback just broke late last week. Everybody thinks they know everything but they know crapp.

What setback was that? As far as I knew there has been no setback, in fact, I was sure they even came out and said there was no setback, just that his nerve has not regenerated yet. To my knowledge, his neck did not heal and then get reinjured, therefore, no setback. What people are trying to say is that they knew that it was possible his neck would not be healed in time(or at least they should have) and precautions should have been made a while back.

How long did Aaron Rodgers play backup to Brett Favre? Thats the scenario the colts need.

That is not the scenario the colts need, they need someone that can come in a year before peyton is due to retire or draft one when he say's he's going to retire at the end of a season. I mean why would you pay a guy top dollar when he's not gonna play, the colts will not do that.

a few things to consider about kerry collins...

1. the guy said he did not have the drive to prepare for games?

2. he did not have any real targets in TN. no TE threats, no WR (Britt started to emerge last year but got injured)

3. he thrived when TN defense was dominate in 2009 season. they controlled the game with their defense and the run game

4. he know our division opponents inside out

a few things to consider about kerry collins...

1. the guy said he did not have the drive to prepare for games?

2. he did not have any real targets in TN. no TE threats, no WR (Britt started to emerge last year but got injured)

3. he thrived when TN defense was dominate in 2009 season. they controlled the game with their defense and the run game

4. he know our division opponents inside out

Maybe he can share a few tips about the titans offence to the defense

Including you apparently. When did Manning ever have a setback? I have heard nothing of the sort. Keep turning out those excuses though, they amuse me. Let me ask you this, is it good or bad management to have a plan B in case Plan A (which is currently very much in doubt) does not work out? If plan B was really Painter, well i have no words.

I like the signing, but I'm not sure how to react to it. There are pretty much a few ways you can interpret this. First is that the front office is starting to realize that Peyton Manning starting game 1 is in jeopardy because of his nerve issues in his arm. If that is the case, I feel SLIGHTLY better about us having a proven back-up. Collins has played in the division, and is familiar with the defensive personnel that the Texans, Jags, and Titans will present to us. The wild card is how will he react against Wade Philips' new defensive schemes in Houston? Peyton does a LOT at the line of scrimmage, and Collins will not be able to do the same. That tells me that Jeff Saturday will take over the blocking assignments again for the offensive line. Also, our offensive coordinator will be involved much more in terms of calling plays when Peyton is out.

I really wish this signing would have taken place immediately after the lockout ended. I can understand the organization trying to develop Painter, but I also feel he has proven in all of his pre-season games and the few regular season games he's played in that he is just not NFL QB material. I wish the organization would have recognized that sooner. Peyton is getting older, and with age comes a higher chance of getting injured. We need a safety valve, and I feel that Collins is just that. This could be interpreted as us just upgrading our #2 QB position and nothing more. The Colts are always hush-hush about injuries, so we really won't know until the regular season starts.

The other way to interpret this situation is that the front office finally realized that Painter will never help our team win. The Colts organization could have been giving Painter a final trial in his career. He obviously did terrible in the first two pre-season games this year. He could have blown his opportunity, and now the organization is finally bringing in an experienced back-up just in case. Skip Bayless made a pretty good point on 1st and 10 earlier today when he was asked how much trouble the Colts are in. He stated that this is a non-issue. He went on to say that Irsay was jokingly Tweeting that he was in Mississippi a few days ago. If Peyton really was in jeopardy of losing is starting streak, I doubt the front office would treat it as a laughing matter.

I personally think it is a combination of both. Coffeedrinker stated earlier that we do not know if the front office tried to contact Collins earlier in the off-season. That is true, but I feel he was not contacted simply because he retired. If he was still a free agent and was brought in to replace Painter, that would be one thing. However, the fact of the matter is that he was brought out of retirement. That, to me, leads me to believe that the issue might be more serious than I want to believe. If that is the case, I wish Collins was signed earlier so that he could have learned our system. Lets hope he is just a replacement for Painter, but we will not fully know the intentions until the regular season is under way.

As far as playcalling and things of that sort I believe the coaching staff will mold the offense around what Kerry does best. As you stated Jeff Saturday will resume offensive line calls etc. I also belive the run game will be heavily emphasized with Kerry playing. The offense will change slightly with Kerry but i dont expect a huge drop off. Kerry should do fine. Lets not expect hurry up offense etc, and hand jirations. We should expect a few deep balls and checkdowns. Thats what Kerry does best.

Including you apparently. When did Manning ever have a setback? I have heard nothing of the sort. Keep turning out those excuses though, they amuse me. Let me ask you this, is it good or bad management to have a plan B in case Plan A (which is currently very much in doubt) does not work out? If plan B was really Painter, well i have no words.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. If you haven't thats your issue. It is plain and simple.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. If you haven't thats your issue. It is plain and simple.

He didn't have a set back his nervs aren't doing what they thought they would do. That's not a set back that's things not going to according to plan from the get go.