Kerry Collins Signed

BlueRedZone

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts fans asked for it, and we got it.

we asked for it a long time ago. If the front office was this unsure about P Money, Collins should have been at camp and under center for the 1st pre season game.

stinks of desperation. whole thing could have been handled differently.

unless its ANOTHER smoke screen from the team, cause they not only know Peyton be ready for week 1, they know and expect he will have a dope game. If that is the case, they are genius', and I will eat my crow.

uh-oh

see when we only had Painter i was 100% sure the FO knows Manning will start.......they just cant be that incompetent to let #7 lead us in a division game.

now with this signing i am starting to worry that #18 might actually miss the game.

I certainly hope he starts right away. I think we have seen enough of Painter to last a lifetime. We know what he can't do in games so lets get Kerry in there. I wouldn't care if they kept Orlovsky and cut Painter. lol What are the odds of that happening????

we asked for it a long time ago. If the front office was this unsure about P Money, Collins should have been at camp and under center for the 1st pre season game.

stinks of desperation. whole thing could have been handled differently.

These are the kind of comments that are irritating. You and me and anyone outside of the Colts organization have no idea if the Colts contacted him sooner or not. Perhaps they contacted him right before camp but he wanted to wait around to see if anything happened where he could go to a team and start. Now with just a couple of weeks left he decided that call was not going to come so he took the Colts offer.

Maybe the Colts really wanted to see if Painter could transfer his practice abilities to the field (because in all three years Painter has been excellent in practice... a quick study, makes all the throws, understand his assignments. He's just like the deer hunter who has a grouping the size of a quarter on the range but gets the shakes when he has a deer in his sights, Painter just cannot handle the situation when bodies are flying around him, thus why I have always compared him to Rob Johnson). Now that he has had the opportunity and did not show the improvement or consistency that Caldwell talks about, the Colts went a different route.

The fact is no one knows how things were handled regarding Kerry, so it's impossible for anyone to say it should have been handled differently.

These are the kind of comments that are irritating. You and me and anyone outside of the Colts organization have no idea if the Colts contacted him sooner or not. Perhaps they contacted him right before camp but he wanted to wait around to see if anything happened where he could go to a team and start. Now with just a couple of weeks left he decided that call was not going to come so he took the Colts offer.

Maybe the Colts really wanted to see if Painter could transfer his practice abilities to the field (because in all three years Painter has been excellent in practice... a quick study, makes all the throws, understand his assignments. He's just like the deer hunter who has a grouping the size of a quarter on the range but gets the shakes when he has a deer in his sights, Painter just cannot handle the situation when bodies are flying around him, thus why I have always compared him to Rob Johnson). Now that he has had the opportunity and did not show the improvement or consistency that Caldwell talks about, the Colts went a different route.

The fact is no one knows how things were handled regarding Kerry, so it's impossible for anyone to say it should have been handled differently.

Good post and I agree 100%. I think they were hoping Painter would pan out but he can't take the pressure evidently. I worked at Training Camp and he did well at Camp but game playing is a different thing completely. I think this was a good move and think Collins will help until Peyton can take over. Hope he can at least start in game 1 to keep his streak going. Time will tell. We also need a back up in case something should happen. Hope we don't need him for that but would be nice to have one that is capable.

Guest BlueShoe

I think this means they are legitimately unsure if Manning will start in Houston (and beyond)?

I actually see it as smoke and mirrors, but a little precaution never hurts.

I think the Colts brass wants Houston to believe that Peyton won't play so they don't know how to game plan against us.

I read a good article in the Indy paper over the weekend that discussed how the Colts handled the back QB situation. Chris Polian was quoted essentially saying that there are two options - 1) go with a proven back up. Two problems with that are why would anyone want to come in and sit behind 18 and the cost. They estimated the going rate for someone with experience to be around $2.5 millioon and that was too much to pay a guy to sit. So they go with option # 2, which is young, unproven guy with some potential - someone like Painter. The upside is you may end up hitting a home run with the guy and we have all seen the downside. I think your scenario is exactly where the Colts found themselves with Painter as he looks to be unable to transfer practice to the field.

The Colts realize this and end up with Collins. Seems a rational process to me.

I actually see it as smoke and mirrors, but a little precaution never hurts.

I think the Colts brass wants Houston to believe that Peyton won't play so they don't know how to game plan against us.

Think all you want but any D-coordinator is gonna prepare his team for Manning, healthy or not.

I like the signing, but I'm not sure how to react to it. There are pretty much a few ways you can interpret this. First is that the front office is starting to realize that Peyton Manning starting game 1 is in jeopardy because of his nerve issues in his arm. If that is the case, I feel SLIGHTLY better about us having a proven back-up. Collins has played in the division, and is familiar with the defensive personnel that the Texans, Jags, and Titans will present to us. The wild card is how will he react against Wade Philips' new defensive schemes in Houston? Peyton does a LOT at the line of scrimmage, and Collins will not be able to do the same. That tells me that Jeff Saturday will take over the blocking assignments again for the offensive line. Also, our offensive coordinator will be involved much more in terms of calling plays when Peyton is out.

I really wish this signing would have taken place immediately after the lockout ended. I can understand the organization trying to develop Painter, but I also feel he has proven in all of his pre-season games and the few regular season games he's played in that he is just not NFL QB material. I wish the organization would have recognized that sooner. Peyton is getting older, and with age comes a higher chance of getting injured. We need a safety valve, and I feel that Collins is just that. This could be interpreted as us just upgrading our #2 QB position and nothing more. The Colts are always hush-hush about injuries, so we really won't know until the regular season starts.

The other way to interpret this situation is that the front office finally realized that Painter will never help our team win. The Colts organization could have been giving Painter a final trial in his career. He obviously did terrible in the first two pre-season games this year. He could have blown his opportunity, and now the organization is finally bringing in an experienced back-up just in case. Skip Bayless made a pretty good point on 1st and 10 earlier today when he was asked how much trouble the Colts are in. He stated that this is a non-issue. He went on to say that Irsay was jokingly Tweeting that he was in Mississippi a few days ago. If Peyton really was in jeopardy of losing is starting streak, I doubt the front office would treat it as a laughing matter.

I personally think it is a combination of both. Coffeedrinker stated earlier that we do not know if the front office tried to contact Collins earlier in the off-season. That is true, but I feel he was not contacted simply because he retired. If he was still a free agent and was brought in to replace Painter, that would be one thing. However, the fact of the matter is that he was brought out of retirement. That, to me, leads me to believe that the issue might be more serious than I want to believe. If that is the case, I wish Collins was signed earlier so that he could have learned our system. Lets hope he is just a replacement for Painter, but we will not fully know the intentions until the regular season is under way.

Good signing by the Colts. Too bad they couldn't get this done sooner though so he could have more reps in our offensive system.

Hopefully Peyton won't be out too much longer. But worse case scenario, at least we now have a veteran back up with some good experience including a couple of Super Bowl appearances (with Giants & Panthers) under his belt. Also doesn't hurt that he is familiar with the AFC South teams. If necessary, Collins should be competent enough to keep us afloat till 18 is ready.

Collins is not starting, he doesnt even know the play calling yet. Painter is starting and he is gonna start the game after.. Collins is insurance thats all.

Collins is insurance...for Peyton. They would have never brought him in if they felt like Painter could carry the starter's burden. Collins will get a crash course and start the opener if indeed Peyton isn't ready.

Guest BlueShoe

Think all you want but any D-coordinator is gonna prepare his team for Manning, healthy or not.

Think what you want but any defensive coordinator is going to game plan against the offense he is going up against. Without Peyton we will be running the ball a lot. With Peyton we are a pass first offense. Two different scenarios the Texans have to be ready for. Even if the Colts knew Peyton was going to start right now, it would be in their best intereset to keep that information to themselves. We have the element of surprise on our side either way.

So in my opinion, Collins is a great insurance policy, but if we can get the Texans to think for one second that we might come out running the ball and Peyton ends up starting then it gives us an advantage.

Guest BlueShoe

Collins is not starting, he doesnt even know the play calling yet. Painter is starting and he is gonna start the game after.. Collins is insurance thats all.

I disagree. Collins would not have come out of retirement to play a third fiddle. He is our new second string backup and he will be getting the majority of the snaps very soon. Just my opinion anyway.

Collins is insurance...for Peyton. They would have never brought him in if they felt like Painter could carry the starter's burden. Collins will get a crash course and start the opener if indeed Peyton isn't ready.

Yes he may start if peyton cant but he isnt gonna start for fridays game.. and if painter does have a great game which there isnt a good chance of that happening then yea he may really start for peyton... Maybe its just me but i dont like a 38yr old back up taking the reigns if peyton cant go.

Yes he may start if peyton cant but he isnt gonna start for fridays game.. and if painter does have a great game which there isnt a good chance of that happening then yea he may really start for peyton... Maybe its just me but i dont like a 38yr old back up taking the reigns if peyton cant go.

I don't know if he'll start but reports are the Colts want to play Collins with the first stringers to see if he can handle the no huddle.

I disagree. Collins would not have come out of retirement to play a third fiddle. He is our new second string backup and he will be getting the majority of the snaps very soon. Just my opinion anyway.

You belive what you wanna believe collins isnt starting on friday and may not even start in the last preseason game... No one knows what type of shape he's in and he doesnt know to colts playbook... You can crash course it all you want but i dont think the colts will be dumbing down the playbook for him... If painter playes well then who knows what the colts will do.

In the event Peyton can't start, someone just needs to tell Collins to dump off the ball to Dallas and Collie as much as possible in order to keep the chains moving! Mix in the run here and there...Mr. Collins meet Joe and Delone. Also if you need a back to throw to on screens call Donald's number but don't rely on him to block for you. Our offensive line is hit or miss so you may end up on your backside if you stand too long in the pocket. Now go out there and just manage the game and don't try to do too much. But if you are feeling frisky we got Garcon and Wayne out wide for ya.

Ok...he knows all he needs to know. Now suit him up! lol

I don't know if he'll start but reports are the Colts want to play Collins with the first stringers to see if he can handle the no huddle.

Well that would be a sight to see, the guy hasnt even had a day with the playbook yet. If Collins does start on friday then that kinda shows the colts playbook isnt as complicated as its said to be.

I would rather have a proven 38 yr old QB than what Painter has shown so far. JMO of course but Collins is a much better option than what we have seen so far. Unless Painter has a break out game which I don't see happening we need Collins to get some reps with the starters. :applause:

Guest BlueShoe

You belive what you wanna believe collins isnt starting on friday and may not even start in the last preseason game... No one knows what type of shape he's in and he doesnt know to colts playbook... You can crash course it all you want but i dont think the colts will be dumbing down the playbook for him... If painter playes well then who knows what the colts will do.

I doubt very seriously we would have to dumb down a playbook for a 16 year veteran who has started the majority of his career. The only way Painter jumps over Collins in the lineup is if Collins gets hurt.

And I never said he would start on Friday, but I wouldn't count it out either. No sense in having Collins spend much time with the backups.

Guest BlueShoe

GoColts8818 - As usual you bring a voice of reason to the conversation.

Dude...you are one of the few that I have seen that regularly stand up for Painter. I will give you that much man.

What is your attraction to the guy? Is it his curly locks? Maybe its the way his golden tresses glimmer when he tilts his head perplexedly on the sidelines?

lol

You know I am just raggin on ya...

Collins is pretty old but I think for one year he is an upgrade over Painter. Long term Painter would be the better choice but its about salvaging the season this year in the event Peyton isn't ready. Collins has experience on his side here...he has already been there and done that. Painter may know the offense better but it doesn't yet translate to his play on the field.

Guest BlueShoe

But if the colts keep it a secret up until game time, they will have to game plan for Manning.

How do you see that? At this point they don't know. It's the worst place to be on the opposite side of things. They don't know what to be ready for.

I doubt very seriously we would have to dumb down a playbook for a 16 year veteran who has started the majority of his career. The only way Painter jumps over Collins in the lineup is if Collins gets hurt.

And I never said he would start on Friday, but I wouldn't count it out either. No sense in having Collins spend much time with the backups.

It takes months just to get familiar with a playbook, and it doesnt matter how long youve been in the league all playbooks are different the way teams do things are different and he has to get use to all of that. So yea you can bet he's not starting friday... Maybe the next game but i doubt that as well.

Dude...you are one of the few that I have seen that regularly stand up for Painter. I will give you that much man.

What is your attraction to the guy? Is it his curly locks? Maybe its the way his golden tresses glimmer when he tilts his head perplexedly on the sidelines?

lol

You know I am just raggin on ya...

Collins is pretty old but I think for one year he is an upgrade over Painter. Long term Painter would be the better choice but its about salvaging the season this year in the event Peyton isn't ready. Collins has experience on his side here...he has already been there and done that. Painter may know the offense better but it doesn't yet translate to his play on the field.

Ahh yes how can you not like those golden locks look like they were woven by an angel lol.... I just think we havent seen enough of painter thats all. At least we'll get a glimpse of what collins has left in the tank thats if he suits up for the packers game.

Guest BlueShoe

It takes months just to get familiar with a playbook, and it doesnt matter how long youve been in the league all playbooks are different the way teams do things are different and he has to get use to all of that. So yea you can bet he's not starting friday... Maybe the next game but i doubt that as well.

On one hand you say it will take months and then you say next week. Are you sure you know what you're arguing about now?

It won't take Collins months to know our playbook. He has seen every play anyone can imagine in his career; he just needs to associate with something he already knows. The learning curve for him will take much less time than it would for a younger quarterback.