Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kerry Collins Signed

BlueRedZone

I like the signing. Weird I just thought about him 2 days ago that if there were worries about, Peyton that we may go after Collins. Given his relationship with the Pollans, He's a good player, he will get respect right away, has a big arm, an a proven guy. He might even be able to help & and or push Painter as well. :huthut:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that would be a sight to see, the guy hasnt even had a day with the playbook yet. If Collins does start on friday then that kinda shows the colts playbook isnt as complicated as its said to be.

Clearly it's going to be a very stripped down verson of the playook. You aren't talking about a rookie here you are talking about a 16 year vet who just spent time starting for a division rival. Which means he has probably at least seen some of what the Colts do in practice. He also probaby knows what it takes to play QB in the NFL. Yes they are going to have to adjust the play book for him (which isn't saying much in the pre-season because the Colts just play their base stuff in the pre-season anyways.) but they didn't sign him to sit on the bench. They signed him because it's clear they need an upgrade of Painter and Orvlosky. If they didn't they wouldn't have signed Collins.

Okay, they're reporting that the Colts front office doesn't think Peyton will be ready for game 1. This is based on a Mort report.

My question is - can anyone imagine the FO giving anyone injury information? Especially on Peyton? Don't we have a historical precedent?

Bottom line - has anyone heard/read/smelled the FO saying they don't think Peyton will be ready to start game 1?

Okay, they're reporting that the Colts front office doesn't think Peyton will be ready for game 1. This is based on a Mort report.

My question is - can anyone imagine the FO giving anyone injury information? Especially on Peyton? Don't we have a historical precedent?

Bottom line - has anyone heard/read/smelled the FO saying they don't think Peyton will be ready to start game 1?

Irsay saying we have to prepare for the start of the season perhaps without Peyton on twitter is the closet I got. I am not freaking out that this is a death nail in Peyton's chances of playing week one. I think it's the Colts getting ready just in case. You can't sign a guy the same week as week one and expect them to be ready. Even now is a pretty late start but it's the best the Colts can do now. Still I think a lot of fans and media looked at the fact that Painter and Orvlosky were our back up QBs and went there is no way Manning is going to miss time if they are the back ups and didn't take the chance that Manning might not play seriously. Now that we have signed Collins they are going, hey he's a guy who could really start if Manning can't go, dang it they might be serious about Manning not being ready.

Clearly it's going to be a very stripped down verson of the playook. You aren't talking about a rookie here you are talking about a 16 year vet who just spent time starting for a division rival. Which means he has probably at least seen some of what the Colts do in practice. He also probaby knows what it takes to play QB in the NFL. Yes they are going to have to adjust the play book for him (which isn't saying much in the pre-season because the Colts just play their base stuff in the pre-season anyways.) but they didn't sign him to sit on the bench. They signed him because it's clear they need an upgrade of Painter and Orvlosky. If they didn't they wouldn't have signed Collins.

While he is a veteran and he was in the division i still doubt collins will have much success tbh the colts might as well have gotten brett farve at least he's a better QB. IF collins is better then thats good but we'll see how he performs in due time.

While he is a veteran and he was in the division i still doubt collins will have much success tbh the colts might as well have gotten brett farve at least he's a better QB. IF collins is better then thats good but we'll see how he performs in due time.

It took 20 million to get Favre to play last season no way he would come here for what we have to pay him with.

I don't think any back up QB is going to have a lot of success but Collins is a much better option than Painter. Sorry I've watched him this pre-season and I know you ilke him but Painter is just not that good. The Colts wouldn't have signed Collins if they felt Painter was the best option out there. Let's not forget this isn't the first time that Collins has changed teams either, he knows how to pick up a new system. He has a track record of winning with far less talent around him than he's going to have around him here. I think he'll take his lumps no questions about that but he's the best option out there other than Sorgi and the only up grade with him is that he knows the system better than Collins.

Irsay saying we have to prepare for the start of the season perhaps without Peyton on twitter is the closet I got. I am not freaking out that this is a death nail in Peyton's chances of playing week one. I think it's the Colts getting ready just in case. You can't sign a guy the same week as week one and expect them to be ready. Even now is a pretty late start but it's the best the Colts can do now. Still I think a lot of fans and media looked at the fact that Painter and Orvlosky were our back up QBs and went there is no way Manning is going to miss time if they are the back ups and didn't take the chance that Manning might not play seriously. Now that we have signed Collins they are going, hey he's a guy who could really start if Manning can't go, dang it they might be serious about Manning not being ready.

Right, all true. But I'm simply asking if anyone has heard anything from the Colts FO? Do we really expect to? I doubt it.

They just said "Colt sources told Mortenson he won't be ready for the Texans". Again, can you imagine the Colts giving out that type of information? This is the same media that ran with a joke tweet as if it were Word.

Still all speculation until we see a starting lineup on 9/11.

Guest BlueShoe

Right, all true. But I'm simply asking if anyone has heard anything from the Colts FO? Do we really expect to? I doubt it.

They just said "Colt sources told Mortenson he won't be ready for the Texans". Again, can you imagine the Colts giving out that type of information? This is the same media that ran with a joke tweet as if it were Word.

Mort once said that sources from the Colts front office told him we were moving to LA too. I don't believe anything Mort says anymore.

Mort once said that sources from the Colts front office told him we were moving to LA too. I don't believe anything Mort says anymore.

lol! Well, I guess if he's talking to a janitor that cleans the front office, he can still count that as a source.

We know from the famous Favre tweet that sports media don't exactly use the 'confirm with two sources' rule that most reporters use.

Who knows, lots of guys talk to reporters as long as they don't give up who they were. That's why he said sources. My guess is it wasn't a Polian and they control what comes out in terms of offical news which is why it wont be released as offical news.

The fact is no one knows how things were handled regarding Kerry, so it's impossible for anyone to say it should have been handled differently.

never said should. I'm not in that position. I said could.

and you are right, they could have been waiting all this time. But doesn't it bother you that he has 2 weeks to work out the no-huddle? You wouldn't have wanted him to have more time with the first string, just in case, God forbid, Peyton can't play into week 1 or beyond?

it just sucks is all.

First of all, WE ARE PENN STATE!

Secondly, my main concern is Peyton missing his first chance to test this 3-4 in Houston. He struggles with it a little more than most QBs because he doesn't really see it that often (which actually makes me happy we now have it in the division, only wish it was sooner). I hope we don't end up with a situation late in the season where we need to beat Houston and Peyton makes mistakes he wouldn't have had he faced the defense earlier in the season.

One thing I found interesting regarding this. Someone posted some comments that Wayne made regarding the signing of Collins. Wayne kept saying, "just because we signed him doesn't mean he's the starter."

But, I agree, that is not the type of information the Colts organization gives out. And I do remember reports about Manning not being ready for game 1 when he missed most of the preseason a few years ago.

You're right. I said the same thing on another forum. No way has anybody of any importance told Mort that Manning isn't going to be ready week 1. This is just total speculation on Mort's part. Im not saying that Manning is definitely going to play, but I would still say it's about 90% he will.

I wont call this a good signing at all until collins puts on a uniform and plays.... he did lose his job with the titans so fans need not expect any thing thats close to great numbers.

Im curious, whats it gonna take for you to admit what everybody else already knows, that Painter is a horrible QB?

never said should. I'm not in that position. I said could.

and you are right, they could have been waiting all this time. But doesn't it bother you that he has 2 weeks to work out the no-huddle? You wouldn't have wanted him to have more time with the first string, just in case, God forbid, Peyton can't play into week 1 or beyond?

it just sucks is all.

:). You did say "could" not should. Sorry for suggesting that.

And to answer your question, no it doesn't bother me. One he is a 16 year veteran with 177 starts under his belt, he knows how to read defenses, he's familiar with the Texans and he's not going to be overwhelmed by the Colts system. Two, I don't for a minute believe that if Collins is the starter for the Texans game that the Colts O will be run the same way as it is with Manning. It would be ludicrous to even try. We will see a lot more, huddling, calling a play and running it. Plus, I will not be surprised if Collins wears one of those cheat sheet arm bands a lot of QBs where.

The only real issue is timing with the receivers. Two more weeks would be helpful with that. But I would like Manning to have more time with the receivers than he is going to have.

It took 20 million to get Favre to play last season no way he would come here for what we have to pay him with.

I don't think any back up QB is going to have a lot of success but Collins is a much better option than Painter. Sorry I've watched him this pre-season and I know you ilke him but Painter is just not that good. The Colts wouldn't have signed Collins if they felt Painter was the best option out there. Let's not forget this isn't the first time that Collins has changed teams either, he knows how to pick up a new system. He has a track record of winning with far less talent around him than he's going to have around him here. I think he'll take his lumps no questions about that but he's the best option out there other than Sorgi and the only up grade with him is that he knows the system better than Collins.

Yea that may be true whos to say irsay wasnt really in his town trying to get him to come back... Its not that i like painter i just think he still has a chance to be a good back up, he just needs time and he's getting that. After the packers game we'll see how he fairs and we'll see how Collins fares aswell though i doubt he'll even play. Collins does add that veteran leadership which they need, lets just hope he is still able to play at a good level.

Im curious, whats it gonna take for you to admit what everybody else already knows, that Painter is a horrible QB?

I dont think anybody knows painter is a horrible QB, he just isnt getting it done right now.. If Painter was in another situation as in peyton wasnt injured and ok and peyton was an average QB fans would not be acting as they are right now.

Yea that may be true whos to say irsay wasnt really in his town trying to get him to come back... Its not that i like painter i just think he still has a chance to be a good back up, he just needs time and he's getting that. After the packers game we'll see how he fairs and we'll see how Collins fares aswell though i doubt he'll even play. Collins does add that veteran leadership which they need, lets just hope he is still able to play at a good level.

Sorry but even a little rusty I think he can at least get us down the field. I would like to see Painter have a break out game Friday but I wouldn't take that to the bank. We just need some insurance in case Peyton can't go in the opener and I don't see Painter being that insurance. He's practiced with the starters and rookies in camp and last week he had more of the starters and still couldn't get past the 29 yd line. Not good for a back-up QB.

WTHR tracked Irsay's plane it was in LA for the whole weekend.

The Colts even went out there way to say they were 99.5% sure he wasn't there this weekend.

Favre's agent said the Colts hadn't talked to him which they would to get a deal done.

What more proof do you need that he wasn't?

Now I'm a little less confident that Manning will be back. Before, I was 100% confident that he would return, but now that they signed a veteran QB who knows the division , I'm more in the 85-90% confidence range. Here's hoping we never have to see Collins in a meaningful situation for is. I still think he will be released by the time the season starts and Manning will start week 1.

Sorry but even a little rusty I think he can at least get us down the field. I would like to see Painter have a break out game Friday but I wouldn't take that to the bank. We just need some insurance in case Peyton can't go in the opener and I don't see Painter being that insurance. He's practiced with the starters and rookies in camp and last week he had more of the starters and still couldn't get past the 29 yd line. Not good for a back-up QB.

Practice alone cant make you better, with more time with the starters painter can be good and this is his first preseason with the starters. painter did have a couple bad passes against skins but you cant put it all on him, there were a few times when the Oline got called for some penalties which pushed them back... No matter what QB its always hard to convert on 3rd on 9 and up. But that is true the colts are losing confidence in painter which is why they added collins.

Add me to that list, I mean c'mon Smitt. How can you compare a 16 year Vet QB that has been to two superbowls to Mr. " Painful to Watch" Painter. Don't be hatin on Collins just because the 3 bears decided to eat Goldie's porage. lol

I think Collins is a good viable back up option. Will he start immediately? Probably not. Will he get a crash course in the playbook? Absolutely. I would be willing to bet that coming out of retirement and not knowing the playbook, possibly even being out of shape, that he could still out play Painter, or any back up QB on the team.

Sure he had a bad year, last year in Tennessee. They could not decide, should we play Young? Should we play Collins? it was a friggin merry go round in and out in and out. I do seem to remember the Titans going 11-0 to start the season and finishing 13-3 for the year behind Collins not so long ago.

WTHR tracked Irsay's plane it was in LA for the whole weekend.

The Colts even went out there way to say they were 99.5% sure he wasn't there this weekend.

Favre's agent said the Colts hadn't talked to him which they would to get a deal done.

What more proof do you need that he wasn't?

I dont need proof at all i never asked for it, i simply said i would rather farve than collins

Practice alone cant make you better, with more time with the starters painter can be good and this is his first preseason with the starters. painter did have a couple bad passes against skins but you cant put it all on him, there were a few times when the Oline got called for some penalties which pushed them back... No matter what QB its always hard to convert on 3rd on 9 and up. But that is true the colts are losing confidence in painter which is why they added collins.

I'm sure Painter will start Friday but I also think Collins will get some snaps as well. You really can't go by what the Titans did last year with the fisaco with Vince Young and all- that team was an accident waiting to happen and it did. Like I said before I hope Painter has a break out game but I don't see that happening now make a liar out of me Painter. (please) lol

I dont need proof at all i never asked for it, i simply said i would rather farve than collins

Talk about a fiasco that would have been one big time. We don't need that in our locker room. Also people are talking about Collins age Farve is older than Collins the last I heard.

Add me to that list, I mean c'mon Smitt. How can you compare a 16 year Vet QB that has been to two superbowls to Mr. " Painful to Watch" Painter. Don't be hatin on Collins just because the 3 bears decided to eat Goldie's porage. lol

I think Collins is a good viable back up option. Will he start immediately? Probably not. Will he get a crash course in the playbook? Absolutely. I would be willing to bet that coming out of retirement and not knowing the playbook, possibly even being out of shape, that he could still out play Painter, or any back up QB on the team.

Sure he had a bad year, last year in Tennessee. They could not decide, should we play Young? Should we play Collins? it was a friggin merry go round in and out in and out. I do seem to remember the Titans going 11-0 to start the season and finishing 13-3 for the year behind Collins no so long ago.

I think that porage is still on the table, but we'll just have to see how he performs. i will not be surprised if he throws up pics seeing as he isnt that mobile. But the only reason he was successful with the titans in that season was because of CJ and the titans defense. He didnt turn over the ball so that was a plus for them as well.

Talk about a fiasco that would have been one big time. We don't need that in our locker room. Also people are talking about Collins age Farve is older than Collins the last I heard.

That is true but farve is much more mobile and still has an arm, I could just see it now the colts dominating one game or being blown out in one cause of farves crazy throws lol

I was pointing out exactly who is to say he wasn't.

An upgrade over Painter regardless of what some think was a bad year in Tennessee last year.

Collins> Painter

He may have had a bad year there, but he looked pretty good against us if I recall correctly.

Let's all hope that the only time he takes a snap in the regular season is to kneel down in the 4th quarter.

. . . well i have to say that i like the signing . . . whether PM plays, may play, or doesn't play, games or more . . . good to have a solid vet in camp and on the team . . . if PM can go, you can always release/cut collins . . . perhaps one might want to keep collins on the team and cut the third stringer and keep painter or vice versa . . .

as i have said on this board and prior boards, a solid back-up can win you games . . . i don't buy the foolishness i hear from media about the colts being a 3 win team with a back-up . . .perhaps they will not go to the SB with a back-up, the back-up comes into play and helps if he is only needed for 1-4 games and can hold serve whilst the starter is recovering . . . if collins can go 2-2 or better 3-1 when PM comes back it not really gonna matter if the colts then go 10-4 or 11-3 under PM, they will be in the playoffs and PM will be under center, and at that point in Jan. it doesn't matter that PM missed some games in sep or oct. . .

so lets hope that pm is not out for many games, and best no games . . . but with Collins under center, you have a chnace to save ur season . . .

what a relief. Kerry is definately an upgrade I for one am extremely happy with this move. Now let's just hope we only need him sparingly and I'm not really expecting to win our 1st game anyway if last year was any indication and how we may play our opener against the texans.