Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Powers and the secondary.....

needanoline63

I know its the first game and i know powers and davis are undersized compared to jeffery and marshall but "holy moly doughnut shop" did our corners and safeties do a bad job. There were also alot of dropped passes and missed tackles. Defensive line is going to be a weakness this year along with the o-line

I'm sorry but I'm not even sold on Powers. How many times has he been beaten today? And we gave up a second-round pick for V.Davis as the other corner. He have scrubs on defense (less 98 & 93), and a horrible OL. Next year's draft needs to be OL and defense. I'm so glad that Tim Jennings wasn't a great cornerback and we gave up on him... oh wait... he just intercepted Luck.

I didn't think they were that terrible. Cutler and Marshall were on their A-game. I mean Marshall is a beast....not even Revis can cover him one on one IMO. A lot of times our guys were right there but back shoulder passes and incredible adjustments to the ball shows why Marshall is a pro bowler. Putting both of those guys on an island is tough...and with no pass rush and Cutler all day to sit and deliver....its impossible to stop. They didn't look great...but certainly not terrible. I mean it was one guy that gashed us....not like they were able to throw it all over the field. Jefferies deep td was the only bad play I think they really made...and even it was put on a dime by Cutler. No one wanted to give Cutler credit going into the game....but when he is on...I would take that arm over any other.

Chuck has said from the beginning that he didn't have the personnel on defense to run a true 3-4 and the o-line is patchwork at best but I agree that the secondary needs an upgrade in the offseason. Powers is ok (our best) but Chuck would like the big physical corners and playmaking safeties. Tom Z is below average but again I think Chuck and Grigs needed bodies to compete. Next year with cap space and the draft I think it will start looking more like they have in mind. As far as Davis I don't think he looked that bad considering he came late. Remember this team still had prior Pro Bowlers and went 2-14 last year when the goat went down so it STILL will take a year or two, I just hope Andrew will still be standing at the end of the season with that subpar o-line which by the way is an UPGRADE over last season.

I didn't think they were that terrible. Cutler and Marshall were on their A-game. I mean Marshall is a beast....not even Revis can cover him one on one IMO. A lot of times our guys were right there but back shoulder passes and incredible adjustments to the ball shows why Marshall is a pro bowler. Putting both of those guys on an island is tough...and with no pass rush and Cutler all day to sit and deliver....its impossible to stop. They didn't look great...but certainly not terrible. I mean it was one guy that gashed us....not like they were able to throw it all over the field. Jefferies deep td was the only bad play I think they really made...and even it was put on a dime by Cutler. No one wanted to give Cutler credit going into the game....but when he is on...I would take that arm over any other.

Agreed... come on guys, I don't know what you expect.? seriously...I read the responses on the forum and I can't help but laugh at all of you... it will only get better, in my opinion....

People were vastly underselling Jay Cutler going into the game....and he had a terrible start...but that kid can put ball where no other can. FAR AND AWAY the strongest arm in the NFL. You also see why him and Marshall have a great connection. You just have to double Marshall all game...no one is going to guard him one on one. You need one under and a safety over and even then he is going to get his catches. Lucky for us in OUR division...there is really only 1 WR of similar quality in Andre Johnson so we won't see better quality every week.

I know its the first game and i know powers and davis are undersized compared to jeffery and marshall but "holy moly doughnut shop" did our corners and safeties do a bad job. There were also alot of dropped passes and missed tackles. Defensive line is going to be a weakness this year along with the o-line

Powers played well most of the game Davis was Ok Bethea good king good Marshall is very tough to defend & our pass rush was absolutly non exsistant after the Bears 2nd drive.

Davis got burned by Jeffrey's but other than that, he did as good as can be expected from someone still transitioning to a new team. He was especially good in run support and open field tackling

Davis got burned by Jeffrey's but other than that, he did as good as can be expected from someone still transitioning to a new team. He was especially good in run support and open field tackling

Yes on 1 tackle after he had missed several

Guys relax.....Brandon Marshall once caught 21 passe on us...remember...

Is anyone surprised he and Cutler smoked us...once Freeney left?

..wait till the next 2 weeks.....we're better in the secondary

Yes on 1 tackle after he had missed several

Yes, but of all the people to blame today for the lose, his name is not the 1st that comes to mind. Didn't have a good game by any means, but the same can be said for almost everyone in a Colts jersey today

I think this one was on (more then any of the others)

1.Arians (the number of passes Luck threw was completely unacceptable in my opinion, also there were a couple 3rd and short plays we should have ran the ball)

2.Offensive Line

3.secondary

4.OLB's and defensive ends broke containment

1.Arians (the number of passes Luck was completely unacceptable in my opinion, also there were a couple 3rd and short plays we should have ran the ball)

2.Offensive Line

3.secondary

I agree on Arians. It's become apparent that he doesn't know how to script drives where we need to run more than pass. Don't know why Pagano wanted him, considering he's probably schemed (with success) around his predictable situational play calling

Yes, but of all the people to blame today for the lose, his name is not the 1st that comes to mind. Didn't have a good game by any means, but the same can be said for almost everyone in a Colts jersey today

I am not blaming him but to say he was good today HUM average at best. There people on here thinking we just signed Dion Sanders!

I know one thing for certain - that was NOT Tim Jennings that we knew here in Indy!

crap, reached my likes quota...was thinging the same thing. which leads back to it wasnt him but our stupid defense we ran. and while our o-line or d-line didnt play great I think our play calling was more to blame. hopefully Pagano addresses that more so!

I am not blaming him but to say he was good today HUM average at best. There people on here thinking we just signed Dion Sanders!

for good grief it was his first fricken game as a Colt. no preseason, no training camp...nada. what the heck did people expect?

Well, just like they overreacted in their assessment of his abilities, i think you are overreacting to his 1st game with a new team. Let him get up to speed before writing him off. He may turn into the next Dion, who knows?

1.Arians (the number of passes Luck threw was completely unacceptable in my opinion, also there were a couple 3rd and short plays we should have ran the ball)

2.Offensive Line

3.secondary

1, 2, & 3 yes otther than King Powers & Bethea they busted there butt's wasn't always pretty but played hard, ZEB is IMO VERY OVERATED He needs to improve ALOT! 4 there was some of that but I thought the Left ILB was bad Conner played pretty well but the whole front 7 other than Mathes were beat up buy a WEEK BEARS LINE HUMMMMMM! Also Luck make some young mistakes & the OL was REALLY BAD a few moments but MOSLY BAD. Pray for Lucks health now for the year he will need it. Hey Jarred Alllan coming to town COOL!

I agree on Arians. It's become apparent that he doesn't know how to script drives where we need to run more than pass. Don't know why Pagano wanted him, considering he's probably schemed (with success) around his predictable situational play calling

we had healthy running backs, Brown averaged 5.3 ypc on only 9 carries, I hope 45 passes isn't a hint of things to come

we had healthy running backs, Brown averaged 5.3 ypc on only 9 carries, I hope 45 passes isn't a hint of things to come

Let's just pray Luck eventually takes control of this offense like he did at Stanford. It'll be hard for Arians to call a bad game if Luck is afforded to get the offense into the best possible play (be it run or pass)

same here! Ballard looked good also. maybe this is why Arians got the boot from the steelers.

Not maybe, it was. Rooney told Arians the year before that he was getting too pass-happy and that he needed to clean his act up. Arians didn't listen, proceeded to call longer developing pass plays (getting Ben sacked and hurried constantly) and got booted after the season was over. He would still be retired right now if Pagano hadn't called him. I didn't like the hiring back then, but tried to give him a chance with a new team. So far, seems like he's still up to his old antics.

Not maybe, it was. Rooney told Arians the year before that he was getting too pass-happy and that he needed to clean his act up. Arians didn't listen, proceeded to call longer developing pass plays (getting Ben sacked and hurried constantly) and got booted after the season was over. He would still be retired right now if Pagano hadn't called him. I didn't like the hiring back then, but tried to give him a chance with a new team. So far, seems like he's still up to his old antics.

agreed, hopefully Pagano lays the law down. or boot his butt to the curb! Pagano said its all about being able to run the ball and stop the run. Dont tell me, show me.

agreed, hopefully Pagano lays the law down. or boot his butt to the curb! Pagano said its all about being able to run the ball and stop the run. Dont tell me, show me.

That's why I was confused with the hiring of Arians. If you want ground and pound ball, he isn't your guy. Other than Martz, I can't recall a more stubbornly pass-oriented coordinator in recent history than Arians.

I won't worry about the secondary unless guys like Ponder and Gabbert start torching us. Cutler and Marshall are Pro Bowl talents- I'm not happy they did as well as they did today against us, but those guys have the rep they do because they've earned it. They'll do well against pretty much every secondary they face if the pass rush isn't there.

But if we start becoming stepping stones for these young QB's that don't have that kind of talent or history of production, it's a whole different ballgame. If this were Ponder to Harvin or Gabbert to Blackmon I'd be ticked.

both powers and davis did a great job... yall need to stop over exaggerating. its hard to cover a corner the whole time when your Dline isnt getting pressure, they will eventually come open. its only one game for a team that was 2-14 last year the colts came out with some blows but some lessons learned.

Our whole secondary looked bad today. Powers was beat so many times I lost count. And Davis got burned a few times as well. I know it was against a really good Chicago offense, but if we hope to have a halfway decent defense, they can't play like they did today.

2.Offensive Line

3.secondary

Can't blame Arians, when your down 17 the whole second half you have to sling it around. Because his first half run pass ratio was like 60 pass/ 40 run(might have been more like 55/45 I don't feel like doing the math lol) like it should be.