Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DEFENSE

Michael Lebron

I want to know why we are playing such a soft coverage. The defense started off aggressive, but then we went soft and it's killing us. Hope to God we make some good adjustments at halftime. Overall, it really isn't that bad but it could be a lot better. Probably been mentioned in another thread, but they really screwed us on the Luck interception. The Bears were obviously offsides but for some reason they didn't call it and I really think that is the only reason why Luck threw that ball because he thought he had a free play.

I thought defense was Pagano's strong suit so I'm a bit suprised that the Bears are being allowed to play catch. I get that he doesn't have all the "pieces" as of yet and it's a process though. As for Powers....he's really undersized to cover stronger and bigger outs. Offense looks pretty nice considering. Seems to be slightly better than the Colts D at this point. Overall not too bad considering IMO.

Secondary is weak, powers is one of the reason we are losing the game

More like no pass rush since Freeney went out of the game. Now I will say that just happens to be the timing of when we stopped getting a pass rush although some of that might be a product of the Bears focusing on stopping Freeney freeing up other guys and now with Freeney out of the game they can focus their attention on the other pass rushers. However if you watch early in the game the Colts were getting to Cutler and he was making mistakes like any QB does. Once they stopped getting to him and he had time to throw he's picking the defense apart like any good QB will do when he has time to throw.

I want to know why we are playing such a soft coverage. The defense started off aggressive, but then we went soft and it's killing us. Hope to God we make some good adjustments at halftime. Overall, it really isn't that bad but it could be a lot better. Probably been mentioned in another thread, but they really screwed us on the Luck interception. The Bears were obviously offsides but for some reason they didn't call it and I really think that is the only reason why Luck threw that ball because he thought he had a free play.

They aren't playing soft you are seeing what happens when you give a good QB time to throw. DBs in the NFL can only hold up in coverage for a few seconds not all day like Cutler has had to throw since Freeney went out of the game. Say what you will about Freeney and his lack of production but it's been clear since he left the game the Colts have not been able to get anything close to a pass rush they were able to get when he was in there for whatever reason. I'd say that is probably because of the attention Freeney demands from being out there is no longer required and the other team can focus on the other pass rushers and it slows the pass rush down. I'd also say the Bears adjusting had something to do with it.

The D will step it up in the second half. The Bears have shown what they have. The rush is going to happen, the bear just adjusted. the Colts will do the same in the second half. I have said it before if you get Cutler on his horse he will mess up. It is his MO. Go Colts

They aren't playing soft you are seeing what happens when you give a good QB time to throw. DBs in the NFL can only hold up in coverage for a few seconds not all day like Cutler has had to throw since Freeney went out of the game. Say what you will about Freeney and his lack of production but it's been clear since he left the game the Colts have not been able to get anything close to a pass rush they were able to get when he was in there for whatever reason. I'd say that is probably because of the attention Freeney demands from being out there is no longer required and the other team can focus on the other pass rushers and it slows the pass rush down. I'd also say the Bears adjusting had something to do with it.

I've seen a bunch of soft zone coverage, they have even mentioned it several times during the game. Yes. when Freeney went out that changed some things but they stopped being as aggressive as they were at the start of the game.

Well, I'm admitting it. I was wrong, the Colts are making the Bears look really reeeaaallly good. This is just terrible. Poor Andrew, the guy is getting bad protection, his receivers are letting him down left and right, and they can't run the ball to save their lives, to take a little pressure off the kid. Here's looking forward to next week and hoping they can get some kinks worked out. Still optimistic about this team, but there is a lot of work to do.

Well, I'm admitting it. I was wrong, the Colts are making the Bears look really reeeaaallly good. This is just terrible. Poor Andrew, the guy is getting bad protection, his receivers are letting him down left and right, and they can't run the ball to save their lives, to take a little pressure off the kid. Here's looking forward to next week and hoping they can get some kinks worked out. Still optimistic about this team, but there is a lot of work to do.

B40, the Bears are a very good team. Indy just does not have the talent to hang with them right now. Give this team 2 drafts and off seasons to fix the OL and DL. and it is ON.

B40, the Bears are a very good team. Indy just does not have the talent to hang with them right now. Give this team 2 drafts and off seasons to fix the OL and DL. and it is ON.

youve got this spot on, after having a defence which iv always though of as soft, looks like coach Pagano will have us playing hard , at the moment we just dont have the talent levels to keep up with a stacked team like the bears, but for playins the * and jaguars we play hard like this and we will give them a heck of a game

Arians shares a big part of the blame, IMO. All his run plays are telegraphed and he seems h3ll bent on show casing his pretty passing patterns, rather than making adjustments. We can't block their D linemen, so why are we running so many deep routes?

I've seen a bunch of soft zone coverage, they have even mentioned it several times during the game. Yes. when Freeney went out that changed some things but they stopped being as aggressive as they were at the start of the game.

They aren't getting the pass rush that's the problem. When they have been able to get a bit of the pass rush they have been able to disrupt the Bears offense when they haven't you are seeing what a good QB and good receivers are going to do against any pass defense if you give them time. Pick it apart. The problem today has been the lack of the pass rush no so much the coverage.

Oh I agree, Im not even sure it will take that long. I think with all the money we have next season we can be right back on top next yr., I still just don't believe in the Bears, maybe im being stubborn about them, but I just can't wrap my mind around them being this good. I do have to agree with ahf321, I think some of the play calling has been atrocious. When in the world is Arians going to realize that Fleener creates a huge mismatch with almost every team? I know that wouldn't have solved all the problems we had today, but I don't know what he's waiting on. I think they left 2 more TD's on the field today simply by not using Fleener in the red zone.

Why do they continue to leave people WIDE open the whole game??? You'd think they'd learn the first time or two. The coaches need to chew them out for this and make them correct this problem. They obvisouly don't know how to give good coverage against the pass. The run defense could use some work too. I'd like to see more takeaways as well...

I thought the defense played well given 1) a new defensive scheme, and 2) mostly new players. It will take some time for everything to come together.

That's the thing it's not mostly new players. Other than Redding (who left the game hurt) and Freeman who is playing for the injured Angerer it's the same front seven on defense from last year. I'd agree 100% new defensive scheme is an issue and the only way the guys are going to get used to it is to play in it but really the new personal isn't a major factor other than in the secondary and even there half of them are returning starters. I think it has more to do with the new scheme. With that said people shouldn't be shocked that the defense is struggling because like I just said most of the same players from last year who struggled on defense.

By no means can the defense be blamed. I'm sorry but when they keep getting hung out to dry by the offense because they couldn't stay on the darn field this is going to happen. They were on the field for 20 of the 30 minutes in the first half! The offense produced three 3 and outs and had an INT in their first 4 possessions which continually kept putting the defense back on the field. You could tell by the end of the half they were tired. However, they had a definite stop on Chicago's third possession in which they had Chicago at 3rd and 10 and Justin King had that rediculous PI call. I watched the game with friends, whom were Bear fans, and they were even like wow. After that, it all went down hill.

The offense has to sustain drives or it kills the aggressiveness of the defense, due to wearing the guys out quicker.

By no means can the defense be blamed. I'm sorry but when they keep getting hung out to dry by the offense because they couldn't stay on the darn field this is going to happen. They were on the field for 20 of the 30 minutes in the first half! The offense produced three 3 and outs and had an INT in their first 4 possessions which continually kept putting the defense back on the field. You could tell by the end of the half they were tired. However, they had a definite stop on Chicago's third possession in which they had Chicago at 3rd and 10 and Justin King had that rediculous PI call. I watched the game with friends, whom were Bear fans, and they were even like wow. After that, it all went down hill.

The offense has to sustain drives or it kills the aggressiveness of the defense, due to wearing the guys out quicker.

I wont disagree that the offense has to do a better job of keeping drives alive but the defense has to do a better job of getting off the field as well. I know they were tired but they also dropped two or thee INTs and were having trouble getting the Bears off the field on third down. If they do those things like the Bears D was able to do to them it would help. All and all as a team we lost the battle on third down. Add to that we lost the battle up front and with turnovers and there is no way you are going to win.

I wont disagree that the offense has to do a better job of keeping drives alive but the defense has to do a better job of getting off the field as well. I know they were tired but they also dropped two or thee INTs and were having trouble getting the Bears off the field on third down. If they do those things like the Bears D was able to do to them it would help. All and all as a team we lost the battle on third down. Add to that we lost the battle up front and with turnovers and there is no way you are going to win.

The Colts limited the Bears to 4/12 on 3rd down. The Colts were even worse. This game was solely in the hands of the offense, and as I said the defense got hung out to dry from it.

Obviously, you guys were not watching the same game I was. Let’s call a chicken a chicken and a cow a cow. The defense was awful. But that’s not a huge surprise, I really didn’t expect any major changes in the defense. I am glad that we are out of that cover 2 mess. The secondary was just plain awful, I’m sorry their just no other word for it. We are going to be 3-13 this year and I am being nice. I saw nothing good in the defense, I saw nothing that would say to me it’s going to get better.

Obviously, you guys were not watching the same game I was. Let’s call a chicken a chicken and a cow a cow. The defense was awful. But that’s not a huge surprise, I really didn’t expect any major changes in the defense. I am glad that we are out of that cover 2 mess. The secondary was just plain awful, I’m sorry their just no other word for it. We are going to be 3-13 this year and I am being nice. I saw nothing good in the defense, I saw nothing that would say to me it’s going to get better.

So there was no run defense and the lack of pressure didn't affect the secondary? The offenses lack of Time of possession had nothing to do with the defense getting winded?

Ok, let's play game. This game is called "Imagine This". You ready? Well it's starting anyway.

Imagine this: You're one of our Defensive Players (You can pick your own player). Now, you cause a 3 & out giving the ball back to our Offense. Offense goes 3 & Out sending you back on the field. So you shrug your shoulders and say "No big deal, we'll stop them again". And you do, another 3 & out that gives your offense the ball. Your offense comes out & throws a Pick. Now, your Motivation is slightly down and you find yourself Fatigued cause you haven't had a Breather yet. Now you're back on Defense & you guys allow a Touchdown because you're Fatigued.

Imagine That. Now who's to Blame: The Offense? Or the Tired Defense?

PS: Thanks for playing my Game with me :)

So there was no run defense and the lack of pressure didn't affect the secondary? The offenses lack of Time of possession had nothing to do with the defense getting winded?

I think the Pass Rush slowed down to our fatigue levels because of offenses lack of time possession like you said. But that's just my opinion on the matter

Ok, let's play game. This game is called "Imagine This". You ready? Well it's starting anyway.

Imagine this: You're one of our Defensive Players (You can pick your own player). Now, you cause a 3 & out giving the ball back to our Offense. Offense goes 3 & Out sending you back on the field. So you shrug your shoulders and say "No big deal, we'll stop them again". And you do, another 3 & out that gives your offense the ball. Your offense comes out & throws a Pick. Now, your Motivation is slightly down and you find yourself Fatigued cause you haven't had a Breather yet. Now you're back on Defense & you guys allow a Touchdown because you're Fatigued.

Imagine That. Now who's to Blame: The Offense? Or the Tired Defense?

PS: Thanks for playing my Game with me :)

....oops, you left out pick 6......"why do we have to do the scoring"? LOL