Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Build the Monster - DB Style

Scott Pennock

In years past the Colts defensive backfield was scattered with mighty mouse DB's ranging from 5'8" to 5'10" that used to get owned by the bigger receivers when asked to play ANY kind of man simply because they were not tall enough and not strong enough........not to mention the injury concerns the Colts always seemed to have.

However, it seems the new regime has completely revamped the roster to bring a bit more size and strength to the position - and oh by the way, they all can run just as well as the mighty mouse guys we used to have!

None of this means they can play better, but this season will go a long way in determining how much that phylisophical change will change the play on the field. Take a look at our defensive backs now:

Corners

Davis is 5'11" and 205 lbs

Gordy is 5'11" and 195 lbs

King is 5-11" and 197 lbs

Powers is 5'10" and 187 lbs

Vaughn is 5'11" and 195 lbs

Safety's

Bethea is 5'11" and 196 lbs

Brown is 6'2" and 210 lbs

Lefeged is 6'0" and 205 lbs

Zbikowski is 5'11" and 200 lbs

Looking at what Gordy and King did with the Rams and Vaughn did with the Broncos there is no doubt in my mind that they are more talented (and will provide more depth) than the likes of Terrence Johnson, Kevin Thomas, and Chris Rucker as the nickel, dime and 5th corners.

To say that Davis and his borderline Pro Bowl caliber play will be noticably better than Jacob Lacey as the starter opposite of Powers shouldn't even be an argument really.

To recap, bigger, stronger and faster doesn't always equate to better.........but, I for one am pleased with the effort the FO made to correct a roster flaw of the previous FO and get some guys with the those characteristics and a decent skill set to match up against the Johnson's, Britts', and Blackmon's in our division but still have the size and speed to run with the Steelers, Broncos and Patriots receiving core!

In a division where we go up against MJD, CJ2K, and Arian Foster, stopping the run seems to be the traditional issue. However our division rivals have some receiving threats this year that we've got to manage. Not to mention we go up against teams like the Packers, Lions, and Patriots who are going to probably put up nice passing yardage no matter how good our secondary end up being this year.

Yeah, I like our secondary this yr. and is the 1st time in a long long time I feel like it isn't a huge liability. My only problem with them is Vaughn, I thought he looked terrible in preseason and I would have much rather kept D.J. Johnson instead of Vaughn.

Yeah, I like our secondary this yr. and is the 1st time in a long long time I feel like it isn't a huge liability. My only problem with them is Vaughn, I thought he looked terrible in preseason and I would have much rather kept D.J. Johnson instead of Vaughn.

Yeah I have questions about Cassius Vaughn as well, but we'll see. I would be comfortable with seeing Johnson over him

as well.

The secondary is definitely an upgrade, I cannot wait to see Davis in action... I think josh Gordy is gonna surprise a few Lol as well the guy can play could possibly take powers spot if powers shows that he isn't producing and can't stay healthy

The secondary is definitely an upgrade, I cannot wait to see Davis in action... I think josh Gordy is gonna surprise a few Lol as well the guy can play could possibly take powers spot if powers shows that he isn't producing and can't stay healthy

I like gordy, but you know they are going to jump you for saying he could take powers spot.

You might as well prepare for it!

I like gordy, but you know they are going to jump you for saying he could take powers spot.

Aye let'em josh Gordy had more pics that powers had in two seasons... I fear powers is a better cover 2 corner than he is man.... he can cover but when it comes to jamming the wide out I think that's where he has the trouble.

I hope he proves me wrong though, his skills everyone thinks he has will be tested this season though that's for sure.

Aye let'em josh Gordy had more pics that powers had in two seasons... I fear powers is a better cover 2 corner than he is man.... he can cover but when it comes to jamming the wide out I think that's where he has the trouble.

I hope he proves me wrong though, his skills everyone thinks he has will be tested this season though that's for sure.

I just want the best 2 CB's we got going against the 2 best WR's the opponent has. I don't care who it is. If that happens to be Davis and Gordy or whoever, then so be it.

We'll see what happens! I went back and looked at some of powers bio at Auburn and I was surprised to learn that

he was known more for his shutdown ability as a man to man corner. Granted that was in college but when you do

that in the SEC that says a little something. I will say that I have personally questioned his ability to do that in the NFL but we are soon to find out. Although he was good at man to man coverage they still projected him as a nickel back at the pro level.

I like the potential of our secondary. I think we addressed a big need with Davis a year earlier than I expected us to. And I prefer him greatly to Mike Jenkins, especially for a 2nd rounder. If we need help at nickel and dime, that's something that can be addressed later in the draft.

At safety, we still can use a better starter opposite Bethea, but I like the group we have. Zbikowski is a superb special teams player, as is Brown. We can address that need either in free agency or the draft as well.

Making the moves we made this preseason allows us to focus more attention on the offensive line next year. It's easily the biggest area of need as of right now. The additions we made along the line are stopgaps only; we still need a qualified RG and RT. Ijalana is still in the mix next year, but far from a sure thing.

In years past the Colts defensive backfield was scattered with mighty mouse DB's ranging from 5'8" to 5'10" that used to get owned by the bigger receivers when asked to play ANY kind of man simply because they were not tall enough and not strong enough........not to mention the injury concerns the Colts always seemed to have.

However, it seems the new regime has completely revamped the roster to bring a bit more size and strength to the position - and oh by the way, they all can run just as well as the mighty mouse guys we used to have!

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think that's really accurate. In general, cornerbacks who primarily play man-to-man will be smaller than cornerbacks who primarily play zone (e.g. Cover 2). There are several reasons for this, but the biggest is that bigger, taller cornerbacks tend to have stiffer, less fluids hips, which makes it more difficult to keep up with wide receivers. That is why you'll never see Calvin Johnson/Alshon Jeffrey sized cornerbacks (~6'5" 235 lb) in the NFL.

And in all actuality, zone cornerbacks (particularly Cover 2 DBs) are allowed to be bigger because they're expected to tackle more, and it's not as critical that they keep up with the WRs... they just have to defend their particular zone. Looking at prototypical CB's that the Colts have had in past years bears this out:

Cornerbacks

Marlin Jackson 6'0" 196 lb

Kelvin Hayden 6'0" 195 lb

Chris Rucker 6'1" 195 lb

Kevin Thomas 6'0" 192 lb

Brandon King 5'10" 194 lb

Jacob Lacey 5'10" 177 lb

Safeties

David Caldwell 5'11" 212 lb

Jermale Hines 6'1" 215 lb

Aaron Franscisco 6'2" 212 lb

Ken Hamlin 6'2" 202 lb

Al Alfalava 5'11" 213 lb

Melvin Bullit 6'1" 201 lb

Bob Sanders 5'8" 209 lb

If anything, our cornerbacks were bigger, not smaller. The one big outlier was Jacob Lacey, but he got the starting job his rookie year because he simply outplayed the other cornerbacks on the roster (although that didn't hold up past that 1st year). And our safeties were pretty much the same size, except for Bob Sanders... but, of course, that didn't seem to hinder his playing ability at all.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think that's really accurate. In general, cornerbacks who primarily play man-to-man will be smaller than cornerbacks who primarily play zone (e.g. Cover 2). There are several reasons for this, but the biggest is that bigger, taller cornerbacks tend to have stiffer, less fluids hips, which makes it more difficult to keep up with wide receivers. That is why you'll never see Calvin Johnson/Alshon Jeffrey sized cornerbacks (~6'5" 235 lb) in the NFL.

And in all actuality, zone cornerbacks (particularly Cover 2 DBs) are allowed to be bigger because they're expected to tackle more, and it's not as critical that they keep up with the WRs... they just have to defend their particular zone. Looking at prototypical CB's that the Colts have had in past years bears this out:

Cornerbacks

Marlin Jackson 6'0" 196 lb

Kelvin Hayden 6'0" 195 lb

Chris Rucker 6'1" 195 lb

Kevin Thomas 6'0" 192 lb

Brandon King 5'10" 194 lb

Jacob Lacey 5'10" 177 lb

Safeties

David Caldwell 5'11" 212 lb

Jermale Hines 6'1" 215 lb

Aaron Franscisco 6'2" 212 lb

Ken Hamlin 6'2" 202 lb

Al Alfalava 5'11" 213 lb

Melvin Bullit 6'1" 201 lb

Bob Sanders 5'8" 209 lb

If anything, our cornerbacks were bigger, not smaller. The one big outlier was Jacob Lacey, but he got the starting job his rookie year because he simply outplayed the other cornerbacks on the roster (although that didn't hold up past that 1st year). And our safeties were pretty much the same size, except for Bob Sanders... but, of course, that didn't seem to hinder his playing ability at all.

Very good post.

However, outside Marlin Jackson and maybe Kelvin Hayden, our CBs' tackling left much to be desired. :(

To be honest, Tim Jennings was a good tackling CB. He just could not recover fast enough if he gave big cushions, which they continued to ask him to do so (which baffled me all the time) because he had 4.3 40 speed and was quick enough to keep up with wideouts if asked to do so playing with smaller cushions.

Very good post.

However, outside Marlin Jackson and maybe Kelvin Hayden, our CBs' tackling left much to be desired. :(

To be honest, Tim Jennings was a good tackling CB. He just could not recover fast enough if he gave big cushions, which they continued to ask him to do so (which baffled me all the time) because he had 4.3 40 speed and was quick enough to keep up with wideouts if asked to do so playing with smaller cushions.

Yes, that unfortunately was also true.

It's not a big deal, but the previous regime's design was Bethea, Sanders, Jackson, and Hayden. That was a great secondary, but only Bethea could stay healthy. 2007 was the last year they were all healthy, and that year the Colt's defense gave up the fewest points in the league. They set an all time NFL record (I think) for fewest TD passes allowed in a regular season. Sanders is 31 years old. Jackson and Heyden are only 29 but all three had their carriers cut short by injuries.

I just want the best 2 CB's we got going against the 2 best WR's the opponent has. I don't care who it is. If that happens to be Davis and Gordy or whoever, then so be it.

Same here it doesnt matter to me who starts, i just wanna see results... every time i think about the upcoming matchups the more i like them.

Powers is much more a stay back in Zone and come up and make the tackle type of Corner never has been to take chances jumping a route, he just doesnt have the speed to make up for it if he misses or the agility, looks stiff in the hips to me good for cover two or a team that runs alot of zone but Man on Man he is in trouble

Powers is much more a stay back in Zone and come up and make the tackle type of Corner never has been to take chances jumping a route, he just doesnt have the speed to make up for it if he misses or the agility, looks stiff in the hips to me good for cover two or a team that runs alot of zone but Man on Man he is in trouble

Have you seen Powers this preseason? He been in receivers hip pocket all preseason when he was in man coverage. When he was in zone coverage is when they just dump it down and he comes up and makes a 7yrd tackle.

Have you seen Powers this preseason? He been in receivers hip pocket all preseason when he was in man coverage. When he was in zone coverage is when they just dump it down and he comes up and makes a 7yrd tackle.

I'd have to watch the games again, I have them on DVR maybe I didnt understand what I saw but I thought some of the completions against us were do to Linebackers being fooled biting on playaction

That's a fair point. Gotta be healthy to play. I don't see Powers not being effective when healthy though.

If Gordy turns out to be very good, but not a good fit at nickel, and Powers is better at nickel than King, a depth cart move should be made.

That's a fair point. Gotta be healthy to play. I don't see Powers not being effective when healthy though.

If Gordy turns out to be very good, but not a good fit at nickel, and Powers is better at nickel than King, a depth cart move should be made.

I agree, one thing i read from an analyst is that teams should go 3 wide on the colts cause that would make either freeney or mathis to drop back in coverage and leave them with a weak nickle corner to defend...

Only way to counter that is to put powers in nickel and gordy or king on the outside i say, I think pagano has the type of quality he had with the ravens on the backend so the secondary should be a major strong point for the colts im hoping.

I agree, one thing i read from an analyst is that teams should go 3 wide on the colts cause that would make either freeney or mathis to drop back in coverage and leave them with a weak nickle corner to defend...

Only way to counter that is to put powers in nickel and gordy or king on the outside i say, I think pagano has the type of quality he had with the ravens on the backend so the secondary should be a major strong point for the colts im hoping.

This analyst should do more research on Pagano's secondaries. Plus who exactly who does he think is a weak CB when looking at our top 3 CBs? We don't have the likes of Lacey or Jennings anymore, not in starting roles anyway.

This analyst should do more research on Pagano's secondaries. Plus who exactly who does he think is a weak CB when looking at our top 3 CBs? We don't have the likes of Lacey or Jennings anymore, not in starting roles anyway.

I believe it was on espn for the afc south outlook thingy, in my opinion i cant remember the last time the colts had this much depth at CB.. no more udfa's will be seeing extended playing time thats for sure.

I definitely consider them a point of strength probably the strongest after the QB position.