Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many do we take on the road?

colts 101

thats pretty ridiculous when you think about it, you cut the roster down to 75 then 53 but you can only have 46 active on gameday... like seriously that doesnt make sense. And when they do finally bring up the limit of players from 53 who can make the roster how many will be able to be active on gameday?

thats pretty ridiculous when you think about it, you cut the roster down to 75 then 53 but you can only have 46 active on gameday... like seriously that doesnt make sense. And when they do finally bring up the limit of players from 53 who can make the roster how many will be able to be active on gameday?

That is a dumb rule, IMHO. They actually increased it from 45 a couple years ago. Still, it makes no sense to me.

That is a dumb rule, IMHO. They actually increased it from 45 a couple years ago. Still, it makes no sense to me.

How many times have we seen teams go down to their last Lineman and hoping that he stays in the game.. they should just make all 53 men active. Those seven men could be a huge difference in some games

How many times have we seen teams go down to their last Lineman and hoping that he stays in the game.. they should just make all 53 men active. Those seven men could be a huge difference in some games

Now that I think about it, The 7 players who aren't allowed to dress are most likely those on PUP and injured reserve who are part of the 53 man roster. Doubt that many healthy roster members would be left behind. Has that been the case in past years?

It used to be that 45 of the roster would be active game day, and a 3rd QB would be inactive but could come to the game. If the third QB came into the game, the starter became inactive the rest of the day. Now, it's just a flat out 46, and a 3rd QB is part of that if he goes with the team.

Now that I think about it, The 7 players who aren't allowed to dress are most likely those on PUP and injured reserve who are part of the 53 man roster. Doubt that many healthy roster members would be left behind. Has that been the case in past years?

PUP and IR don't count against the 53 man roster.

There are only 46 players allowed to dress on game days.

The entire 53 man roster travels to road games unless they are injured when those guys are occassionally left behind. Even some of the guys on the practice squad travel as well especially if there is a chance that the team has to make a last minute roster decision based on a injury situation. The PUP guys may or may not travel.

I remember the NE game in 2010 where we were down to Blair White at one of the WR slots with really no one behind him...I remember thinking during that game, "man I hope no one else gets hurt" and we still nearly pulled off the comeback. THAT, even as a loss, was still a great game to me b/c it showed what Manning could do even with 3rd/4th stringers around him. Hopefully the injury Karma will swing in our direction some time soon.

I remember the NE game in 2010 where we were down to Blair White at one of the WR slots with really no one behind him...I remember thinking during that game, "man I hope no one else gets hurt" and we still nearly pulled off the comeback. THAT, even as a loss, was still a great game to me b/c it showed what Manning could do even with 3rd/4th stringers around him. Hopefully the injury Karma will swing in our direction some time soon.

We had a Chargers game where we actually dressed one less than the limit because we were so injured. In fact, I think we only dressed 5 OL because that's all we had healthy.

We had a Chargers game where we actually dressed one less than the limit because we were so injured. In fact, I think we only dressed 5 OL because that's all we had healthy.

That was 2007 Vinatieri missed FG game. No way they would have had only 5 active o-linemen for the game. Can't run that risk. They may have ended the game with 5 healthy o'linemen but no way they started with only 5. If I recall correctly Toudoze played in that game and held up pretty well. Maybe he got in there after someone got dinged.

That was 2007 Vinatieri missed FG game. No way they would have had only 5 active o-linemen for the game. Can't run that risk. They may have ended the game with 5 healthy o'linemen but no way they started with only 5. If I recall correctly Toudoze played in that game and held up pretty well. Maybe he got in there after someone got dinged.

You are correct. Toudouze came in for Charlie Johnson that was banged up and did well at LT vs Merriman. We ended with 5 healthy OL like you said.

Funny how Peyton gets back to back games vs Patriots and Chargers and has lost every single one of them - 2007, 2010, and we will see how 2012 shapes up (though in a different uni).

As odd as it seems, it does help reduce the impact of unlucky injuries on teams. If Team A has 7 players who are injured and can't play, and Team B has none, they would still have the same (relative) depth. Now, granted, injuries to certain important players still hurt, but you don't end up in the situation where one team is rotating in much, much fresher players than the other team simply because they can use every player on their roster and have been lucky with injuries.

As odd as it seems, it does help reduce the impact of unlucky injuries on teams. If Team A has 7 players who are injured and can't play, and Team B has none, they would still have the same (relative) depth. Now, granted, injuries to certain important players still hurt, but you don't end up in the situation where one team is rotating in much, much fresher players than the other team simply because they can use every player on their roster and have been lucky with injuries.

I remember a Polian explanation that seemed to be similar to yours as to why not just dress the full 53.

The Jets always take Fireman Eddie (Thinks that's his Name).

I have him being the Starting QB by the time we play them

Considering by the time we play them, they'll probably have gone through Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy, Matt Simms, Sage Rosenfels, Erik Ainge, Vinny Testaverde, Joe Namath, Pat Robertson, Lance Armstrong, Joe Biden, and about half the cast of Cheers, I'd say your estimation is likely correct.

The 53 travel with the team so there is no expenses saved there. They count against the cap so again there is no cost savings there. It is simply too easy to say they should just make all active. There has to be a rational reason why they don't. Warhawk's explanation seems a valid one.