TKnight24

CB Bashaud Breeland likely to sign with Colts

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

True, the Panthers, for instance, have moved on and couldn't offer him the same deal they offered in March. But there are 5-7 teams with over $20m in cap space that could jump on Breeland if they wanted. The Cardinals have a second visit with him, and they're at $15m. It's not like there's no competition. 

 

The Browns are the only team with more cap space than us ($67m), and they spent a first on a corner; the third team is the Niners, and they're at $37m. We're at $56m. If we want him, we can have him, obviously. But Ballard has proven to be extremely principled in free agency. Whatever the Colts do will be about value, not cap space.

 

He's a FA in 2021. AC is a FA in 2020.

 

Right he won't be a FA in 2020, but being in the last year of his contract it wouldn't be unheard of to work out an early contract extension, and then that can tack a big chunk into 2020 year (or is that against the CBA rules?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

He's said it will. I admit I didn't expect him to be so frugal and conservative this year, but I get it. He wants to actually build a foundation and establish a culture, then use free agency as it's supposed to be used -- to supplement the draft and address a couple/few immediate needs. Even with an A+ offseason, and Luck at near-MVP level like 2014, the Colts still are second class in the AFC, so I'm okay with Ballard looking to future years as being the real time for us to contend. 

 

That being the case, having a 29 year old veteran CB hitting free agency right after we make a deep playoff run is a good thing if you want future comp picks. Signing Breeland to a 3 year deal isn't necessarily a bad idea. 

 

I also expected a bit more of a splash in FA. I agree with pretty much everything you have above. Although I d think if Luck is all the way back , we could be a little better than what you're thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

True, the Panthers, for instance, have moved on and couldn't offer him the same deal they offered in March. But there are 5-7 teams with over $20m in cap space that could jump on Breeland if they wanted. The Cardinals have a second visit with him, and they're at $15m. It's not like there's no competition. 

 

The Browns are the only team with more cap space than us ($67m), and they spent a first on a corner; the third team is the Niners, and they're at $37m. We're at $56m. If we want him, we can have him, obviously. But Ballard has proven to be extremely principled in free agency. Whatever the Colts do will be about value, not cap space.

 

He's a FA in 2021. AC is a FA in 2020.

I don't disagree Supe. I think picking this guy up will be a serious boost to the CB depth on this team. I want it to happen. I just don't believe Ballard will pay that level of $ at this point. And the Cards won't likely feel they have to either. Two years $14 m with $10m guaranteed would be a nice deal for Breeland at this point. And he'd be worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, esmort said:

 

Right he won't be a FA in 2020, but being in the last year of his contract it wouldn't be unheard of to work out an early contract extension, and then that can tack a big chunk into 2020 year (or is that against the CBA rules?). 

 

You're right, they could extend him a year before he hits free agency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

I also expected a bit more of a splash in FA. I agree with pretty much everything you have above. Although I d think if Luck is all the way back , we could be a little better than what you're thinking.

 

If Luck is healthy, I think the Colts can be really good in 2018. But still a notch below NE and Pittsburgh (assuming the Steelers pick up where they left off). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

If Luck is healthy, I think the Colts can be really good in 2018. But still a notch below NE and Pittsburgh (assuming the Steelers pick up where they left off). 

 

Oh...I misunderstood your previous post. The above is no doubt a generous ceiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

If Luck is healthy, I think the Colts can be really good in 2018. But still a notch below NE and Pittsburgh (assuming the Steelers pick up where they left off). 

 

I expect Luck to be healthy...  but very very rusty....

 

And while I'm not worried about throwing 40 passes a game if he needs to, I am concerned about having the arm strength built back up to throw 100-plus passes a day in practice three days a week.   He's got to build up arm strength so he can work in getting the reps he needs to build timing with all the receiver candidates.

 

I confess THIS is what concerns me about Andrew and why I don't expect him to start on opening day...   not enough reps equals not ready for action...  I hope I'm wrong...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

True, the Panthers, for instance, have moved on and couldn't offer him the same deal they offered in March. But there are 5-7 teams with over $20m in cap space that could jump on Breeland if they wanted. The Cardinals have a second visit with him, and they're at $15m. It's not like there's no competition. 

 

The Browns are the only team with more cap space than us ($67m), and they spent a first on a corner; the third team is the Niners, and they're at $37m. We're at $56m. If we want him, we can have him, obviously. But Ballard has proven to be extremely principled in free agency. Whatever the Colts do will be about value, not cap space.

 

He's a FA in 2021. AC is a FA in 2020.

 

 

For some reason Spotrac hasn't added Austin's Howard's approx 4 million to our spending. Over the cap has done so and were at 52 mill according to them . Not for nothing .. 56 mill or 52 mill , it's a lot and we are 2nd to Cleveland as you say. But I do think the 52 mill figure is the correct one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I expect Luck to be healthy...  but very very rusty....

 

And while I'm not worried about throwing 40 passes a game if he needs to, I am concerned about having the arm strength built back up to throw 100-plus passes a day in practice three days a week.   He's got to build up arm strength so he can work in getting the reps he needs to build timing with all the receiver candidates.

 

I confess THIS is what concerns me about Andrew and why I don't expect him to start on opening day...   not enough reps equals not ready for action...  I hope I'm wrong...

 

 

They had him on an alternating practice schedule in 2016, I could see that being the case this year. But I expect him to be 100% physically, with maybe some timing issues in the new offense, maybe some inaccurate short/intermediate throws. 

 

I'm really not worried about Luck, tbh. I'm not proclaiming anything, but I think he'll be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

For some reason Spotrac hasn't added Austin's Howard's approx 4 million to our spending. Over the cap has done so and were at 52 mill according to them . Not for nothing .. 56 mill or 52 mill , it's a lot and we are 2nd to Cleveland as you say. But I do think the 52 mill figure is the correct one.

 

I didn't look too closely at the figures, it's possible they're still not fully up to date. They seem to be a little bit slower than OTC in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard probably offered something like 1 year, $5 million, or 2 years, $10 million. Love Ballard as a GM, but I trust him very little to get a deal done with FA's. With the Cards as competition and us getting first crack at Breeland, I was thinking he'd sign here, could of used him at CB. I'll admit, I'm disappointed here. The Safeties I'm fine with not signing, this one will bite us in the rear end come the regular season IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard probably offered something like 1 year, $5 million, or 2 years, $10 million. Love Ballard as a GM, but I trust him very little to get a deal done with FA's. With the Cards as competition and us getting first crack at Breeland, I was thinking he'd sign here, could of used him at CB. I'll admit, I'm disappointed here. The Safeties I'm fine with not signing, this one will bite us in the rear end come the regular season IMO.

 

 

Once in while , the first team does get a chance at a counter offer . I'm in your camp and thought Breeland would help us. Maybe we'll get lucky and he wants to play in Indy and we get a chance to negotiate further. Although usually when a player leaves without a contract , it's as you say... no dice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've learned not to get my hopes up when it comes to Ballard and free agent signings.  We don't sign anyone of much significance ...just space fillers and camp bodies.  It's all about the draft with Ballard.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

Once in while , the first team does get a chance at a counter offer . I'm in your camp and thought Breeland would help us. Maybe we'll get lucky and he wants to play in Indy and we get a chance to negotiate further. Although usually when a player leaves without a contract , it's as you say... no dice.

Honestly, I would of offered something like 1 year, $9 million just to secure him for a year as long as he was healthy. If he balls out, get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him based on that contract. It would still be very low risk based on Ballard's conservative strategy, and he'd be a one year holdover until we drafted another CB in next year's draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard probably offered something like 1 year, $5 million, or 2 years, $10 million. Love Ballard as a GM, but I trust him very little to get a deal done with FA's. With the Cards as competition and us getting first crack at Breeland, I was thinking he'd sign here, could of used him at CB. I'll admit, I'm disappointed here. The Safeties I'm fine with not signing, this one will bite us in the rear end come the regular season IMO.

Doesnt mean anything yet. Grant visited the Raiders after the Colts and still signed here. Jensen visited here after Tampa and still wound up with the Bucs. Breeland still might not sign here but going on a second visit doesnt mean he rejected an offer or one was even made.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard probably offered something like 1 year, $5 million, or 2 years, $10 million. Love Ballard as a GM, but I trust him very little to get a deal done with FA's. With the Cards as competition and us getting first crack at Breeland, I was thinking he'd sign here, could of used him at CB. I'll admit, I'm disappointed here. The Safeties I'm fine with not signing, this one will bite us in the rear end come the regular season IMO.

 

I think we should wait and see.  Will he attack more in FA if the teams shows they're close?  That is unknown. We know he's not willing to when he doesn't see a true contender but the story isn't completely written. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Doesnt mean anything yet. Grant visited the Raiders after the Colts and still signed here. Jensen visited here after Tampa and still wound up with the Bucs. Breeland still might not sign here but going on a second visit doesnt mean he rejected an offer or one was even made.

Yep, we don't know yet, but it definitely puts the ball in Arizona's court. Hopefully Breeland said he just wants to compare offers. We have a better team than Arizona as long as Luck is back. Hopefully Breeland takes that into consideration. We don't know what was said behind closed doors though. However, I tend to believe that Ballard didn't give him a great offer, or he probably would of signed already. There's enough doubt in his mind where he at least wants to visit Arizona first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wig said:

 

I think we should wait and see.  Will he attack more in FA if the teams shows they're close?  That is unknown. We know he's not willing to when he doesn't see a true contender but the story isn't completely written. 

That's all we can do is wait and see. I'm disappointed because of the position, and I'm worried about depth in case of injury this year. We'll just have to hope for the best that he at least gave an offer. I'm more hoping we sign him for a year to get a compensatory pick out of him next year. I want to keep that trend going, and Breeland is the perfect guy to do that with IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Thoughts about this one?

 

 

I got nothin. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You make a fair point....

 

But, thinking out loud...   wouldn't you think Ballard and the agent have some level of understanding on money before Breeland would come in for a visit?

 

What's the point of Breeland wanting close to what he lost if Ballard is only offering a modest one or two year deal.

 

I'm hoping Ballard steps up with a serious offer as he did a year ago with Hankins...

 

Maybe 2/14?    3/20?    

 

I'd fear Breeland walks out the door if we're only offering something like 1/7.

 

Given how this FA has gone, I'm skeptical anything happens. 2/14 is the most Ballard might be willing to commit.

 

If you are asking me, deep down, what do I believe? Ballard will low ball him with a 1 year $6-7 mil. deal and he walks. Sorry, I am just pessimistic and am not going to get my hopes up with Ballard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it with the Redskin players and foot infections?  Somebody needs to disinfect their facilities.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, we don't know yet, but it definitely puts the ball in Arizona's court. Hopefully Breeland said he just wants to compare offers. We have a better team than Arizona as long as Luck is back. Hopefully Breeland takes that into consideration. We don't know what was said behind closed doors though. However, I tend to believe that Ballard didn't give him a great offer, or he probably would of signed already. There's enough doubt in his mind where he at least wants to visit Arizona first.

Could all be possible, yeah. Ballard was recently voted one of the best GMs to work with by agents. If he consistantly low balled guys, you'd think that relationship with agents would decay a bit and guys wouldnt want to visit at all.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, I would of offered something like 1 year, $9 million just to secure him for a year as long as he was healthy. If he balls out, get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him based on that contract. It would still be very low risk based on Ballard's conservative strategy, and he'd a one year holdover until we drafted another CB in next year's draft.

 

  If I'm Ballard, I sign everyone I can to one year deals, even above market. We have cap and one of four things can happen:

 

They perform well and are signed to a longer deal.

They perform well and are tagged. 

They perform well and get a big deal from another team, giving us a nice comp pick.

They perform okay to poorly and there is no damage done. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wig said:

 

  If I'm Ballard, I sign everyone I can to one year deals, even above market. We have cap and one of four things can happen:

 

They perform well and are signed to a longer deal.

They perform well and are tagged. 

They perform well and get a big deal from another team, giving us a nice comp pick.

They perform okay to poorly and there is no damage done. 

 

 

Bingo! You want to build through the draft, this is how you do it! Just make sure not to sign too many FA's at a high price where you lose the compensatory picks. Sign, release, and rebuild, that's how you do it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Albaby said:

What is it with the Redskin players and foot infections?  Somebody needs to disinfect their facilities.

It happened in the DR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Could all be possible, yeah. Ballard was recently voted one of the best GMs to work with by agents. If he consistantly low balled guys, you'd think that relationship with agents would decay a bit and guys wouldnt want to visit at all.

 

He could very well be the GM that always gave a good offer but never good enough to seal the deal. Being prepared and courteous, plus giving a good offer is all nice and dandy, but if you cannot seal the deal, it does not mean much to me as a Colts fan, just being honest here.

 

To be honest, Andrew Luck and his lack of availability will continue to hurt the Colts in several ways, including FA interest, and until that changes on the field to being back to winning ways, this is something we Colts fans need to get used to. Jags realized they had to throw money at folks to get FAs to sign there, and once the right management (Coughlin) came in, the assembled talent was steered in the right direction to produce results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, folks.....what you call low balling is Ballard doing what he said he was going to do, which is build the team this season and next...and add FA's when we are close. Just because fans think we are there and we should be offering more, doesn't make our GM change his stripes. 

 

I for one an glad he is not spending until he sees what we have at the corner postion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

It happened in the DR

Isn’t it odd that both him and Grant had foot infections.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Four2itus said:

Again, folks.....what you call low balling is Ballard doing what he said he was going to do, which is build the team this season and next...and add FA's when we are close. Just because fans think we are there and we should be offering more, doesn't make our GM change his stripes. 

 

I for one an glad he is not spending until he sees what we have at the corner postion. 

Did I say we were anywhere close to competing? I want to sign Breeland to fill depth at the position in case of injuries, he could also start. We can't see what we have and then sign Breeland later on, it doesn't work like that. I also want Ballard to sign him to a 1 year deal to get a compensatory pick next year. If you want to build through the draft like Ballard said, that's the way to do it, and since we have $52 million in cap space left, there little to no risk. 

3 minutes ago, Albaby said:

Isn’t it odd that both him and Grant had foot infections.  

There must be some arrowheads under Redskin stadium! LOL! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more patient Ballard is, the more I like it.  I am excited to see our young guys play and see who rises to leadership,positions.  We had lots on Peyton's teams.  We need lots on Lucks teams.  TBH, I could care less about free agency too at this point.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

The more patient Ballard is, the more I like it.  I am excited to see our young guys play and see who rises to leadership,positions.  We had lots on Peyton's teams.  We need lots on Lucks teams.  TBH, I could care less about free agency too at this point.  

I think this is the point where we should care about FA. The guys we sign now aren't affected by compensation anymore, and a guy like Breeland could bring a compensatory pick next year. Also, there's going to be lots of young guys that will be dropped and we have the #3 spot on the waiver wire. We should definitely care at this point, if not more than last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think this is the point where we should care about FA. The guys we sign now aren't affected by compensation anymore, and a guy like Breeland could bring a compensatory pick next year. Also, there's going to be lots of young guys that will be dropped and we have the #3 spot on the waiver wire. We should definitely care at this point, if not more than last year.

 

Don't think he's looking for a one year deal. Someone will offer a multi year deal even if not for what he was originally offered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, esmort said:

 

Don't think he's looking for a one year deal. Someone will offer a multi year deal even if not for what he was originally offered. 

I agree 100%. That's why we had to take advantage of being first. I think 1 year, $9-$10 million would of gotten it done though. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

5M2c.gif

You don't see too many "Bones" memes these days. Usually, he's yelling at Captain Kirk for something like "Darn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a miracle worker!" Hardly the type who would easily entice anybody to come along for the ride. Very lava lamp eske with that arm movement. Funny. It made me chuckle nevertheless Mr. I. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think this is the point where we should care about FA. The guys we sign now aren't affected by compensation anymore, and a guy like Breeland could bring a compensatory pick next year. Also, there's going to be lots of young guys that will be dropped and we have the #3 spot on the waiver wire. We should definitely care at this point, if not more than last year.

I don't know JC. Since most people outside of INDY think the Colts are no threat & keep bringing up Luck's ability to throw a football, we have dark horse, under the radar appeal. Come to the Hoosier State, redefine yourself, & shock the world as a free agent or experienced veteran. I prefer the left for dead approach because expectations are low & nobody sees you coming when we blindside them/surprise them. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I don't know JC. Since most people outside of INDY think the Colts are no threat & keep bringing up Luck's ability to throw a football, we have dark horse, under the radar appeal. Come to the Hoosier State, redefine yourself, & shock the world as a free agent or experienced veteran. I prefer the left for dead approach because expectations are low & nobody sees you coming when we blindside them/surprise them. 

When you have nothing to lose.....you become DANGEROUS!  Don't let them see you coming....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I don't know JC. Since most people outside of INDY think the Colts are no threat & keep bringing up Luck's ability to throw a football, we have dark horse, under the radar appeal. Come to the Hoosier State, redefine yourself, & shock the world as a free agent or experienced veteran. I prefer the left for dead approach because expectations are low & nobody sees you coming when we blindside them/surprise them. 

That was definitely the case in 2012, I'd like to get back to that this year. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

He could very well be the GM that always gave a good offer but never good enough to seal the deal. Being prepared and courteous, plus giving a good offer is all nice and dandy, but if you cannot seal the deal, it does not mean much to me as a Colts fan, just being honest here.

 

To be honest, Andrew Luck and his lack of availability will continue to hurt the Colts in several ways, including FA interest, and until that changes on the field to being back to winning ways, this is something we Colts fans need to get used to. Jags realized they had to throw money at folks to get FAs to sign there, and once the right management (Coughlin) came in, the assembled talent was steered in the right direction to produce results. 

 

Ballard seals the deal on his terms when he wants to.

 

He sealed the deal 10 times a year ago.   Seems most everyone here has forgotten that with his new approach this year.

 

Breeland has left the building now...   the question becomes, will he sign with Arizona or end up coming back to Indy?

 

Odds are we have lost him, but I'm not prepared to call it over until it's actually over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.