Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Legendary Colts WR Reggie Wayne as assistant WR Coach

TKnight24

12 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I would love to see Peyton come in if our current OC gets a HC job down the road. Peyton would do a masterful job at anything related to football but my guess is he will go into a front office roll instead of back on the field area again. Perfect scenario would have been to have PM ready to have replaced Pagano and then into a GM role after he was ready to move up. I think his mind would create a wonderful and creative offensive plan though as an OC. But I see him as a GM ultimately if he ever steps back into the grind of football. 

OCs work loooong hours and its under peytons pay grade

i doubt he ever does that, though i think he would be good at it too

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I played through many Blackfoot Strikes records and tapes.    Great album.  

Highway Song

I got a line on you

Train Train

Left Turn on a red light

Wishing Well

It's a shame that the days of an album are gone.  It's all about singles now.   Huge loss.

On to Reggie.   I like the partnership like most on here.   It seems that some may be overly excited. 

Great album. I still get it out and play it once in a while. Molly Hatchet is my favorite southern rock band.

On to Reggie, I hope he enjoys being a coach as it might turn out to be permanent . Glad to have him here.

• Like 2

I'm glad we've done this with Reggie and Mathis...

I also hope we do this in a year or so with Frank Gore...    another quality person...  

Good teams can't have enough quality people in the locker room...  it's not just what they bring to the playing field...  it's also what they bring off the field as well...

Glad Ballard is taking these steps...   every step toward a successful program is important...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I also hope we do this in a year or so with Frank Gore...    another quality person...  

ive been wondering if frank is outspoken enough for coaching 

mathis was never super vocal or anything, but frank seems like a fairly quiet guy to me.  there have been head coaches like that, but position coaching is a different animal 

41 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ive been wondering if frank is outspoken enough for coaching 

mathis was never super vocal or anything, but frank seems like a fairly quiet guy to me.  there have been head coaches like that, but position coaching is a different animal 

Good points....

Gore is quiet because he had a bad stuttering problem when he was much younger...   I think he's mostly outgrown it, or worked through the probleem...    but while he's quiet in an interview,  it's my sense of things that Gore is fine in a locker-room setting...   or dealing with fellow RB's in a one-on-one basis....    so, I think he'd be OK in that way....

Then again...    if I remember correctly,  a poster here noted to me that he had read that Gore may want to be a scout when he retires.      And, if that's the case,  then I'm all for that....   Gore as a scout works just fine for me...   again,  quality person and that's a hard job...    long hours,  thankless tasks,   endless days on the road...    not everyone is cut out for that type of job....     if that's what Gore wants,  then I'm all for it....

I had a chance to talk to Frank Gore after the 2016 Season at Indy airport. We happened to sit next to each other at a bar/restaurant. He was headed to Miami. I was headed out west. He was great, and talked pretty frankly about the Colts needs. They needed a DEFENSE. (No kidding). He also mentioned in the conversation that Jack Doyle was his favorite team mate. Loved how the guy was a self made player and put it on the line every day.  He also said he wanted to return to the Colts if they'd have him. He wasn't sure. As we know and as it turned out, the team picked him up for another season. And..... he discussed his interest in going back to the Bay Area with the possibility of coaching with the Niners. I think that is where he plans to retire. So, it will be interesting to see if that is where he ends up. He'd be a great coach, IMO. NCF, I know you have some connection to the Bay Area, being a fellow Stanford fan. For the record, my opinion of Frank Gore, already pretty high up there, was elevated after our conversation. A great guy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm glad we've done this with Reggie and Mathis...

Good teams can't have enough quality people in the locker room...  it's not just what they bring to the playing field...  it's also what they bring off the field as well...

Glad Ballard is taking these steps...   every step toward a successful program is important...

Agreed. I’m starting to wonder if Ballard’s motto of raising your own, extends to coaching. Mathis was the only coach from the previous regime that he kept, even before we hired Reich. And he didn’t draft Reggie but still seems to understand his value to the organization. Keep guys under the horseshoe. Even retired players. I love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I had a chance to talk to Frank Gore after the 2016 Season at Indy airport. We happened to sit next to each other at a bar/restaurant. He was headed to Miami. I was headed out west. He was great, and talked pretty frankly about the Colts needs. They needed a DEFENSE. (No kidding). He also mentioned in the conversation that Jack Doyle was his favorite team mate. Loved how the guy was a self made player and put it on the line every day.  He also said he wanted to return to the Colts if they'd have him. He wasn't sure. As we know and as it turned out, the team picked him up for another season. And..... he discussed his interest in going back to the Bay Area with the possibility of coaching with the Niners. I think that is where he plans to retire. So, it will be interesting to see if that is where he ends up. He'd be a great coach, IMO. NCF, I know you have some connection to the Bay Area, being a fellow Stanford fan. For the record, my opinion of Frank Gore, already pretty high up there, was elevated after our conversation. A great guy. 

Great story!

Thanks for sharing that!   A great read!

:thmup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P'Son said:

Appreciated the man as a Colt but lets face it,he can't catch balls for these kids.  I doubt teaching at this level accounts for much.

Ummmmm, good coaching at this level, teaching the nuances of what makes a HOF receiver, is almost EVERYTHING at this level.  Good coaching can be the difference between mediocrity and excellence.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, P'Son said:

Appreciated the man as a Colt but lets face it,he can't catch balls for these kids.  I doubt teaching at this level accounts for much.

What?  Catching a football is only the end result of setting yourself to make the catch. Things like looking at the coverage. Peeking at the safety. Making sharp cuts. Footwork. Eyes. Finding the open area.

Players have to learn these skills before making a catch. That is where Reggie comes in.

Maybe a little more thought process would keep you from making such an empty comment?

On April 30, 2018 at 10:23 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Cheap Trick played my college in the 80s.  My roomate was involved in school entertainment and he needed help for the show.

he put me side-Stage in charge of watching (guarding)Rick Nielsen's guitars.  It was cool cuz i was able to fling picks to the crowd.  I was right there, coulda grabbed a handfull of 'em.  I'll bet he had 15 -20 guitars off-stage.i'm a drummer, so i was watching Bun E. Carlos.

"Aint that a shame......."

on a side note.... 6 of us drove to Tampa for U2's Joshua Tree tour (the original al REAL one).  What a TRIP!  I've seen pretty much ALL the big names of that time and NO SHOW ever was as impactful.  Incredible.  The Neville Brothers at Tipitinas in New Orleans is 2nd.  The Def Leppard concert in the rain where 10,000 people felt a lightning strike is 3rd. THAT was an experience.

Whoa brother, it sounds like you had some rare opportunities there. Rick Nelson is 1 of the nicest legends in rock man. He truly is. Rock in the rain baby. Oh yeah, sounds like a great story to tell your kids, cousins, or nephews some day. Drummers never get enough love man. I always stand up for em amateur or professional cause they're are the backbone of any group & exceptional ones make good groups next level great. Thanks for sharing this WM! I love this kind of behind the scenes stuff. Hate it on movie sets, but love it when it comes to musicians even basic soundcheck stuff. It's electric. I always get goosebumps because of the creativity & mastery of their craft we are about to hear as loyal fans. Sweet! 

On May 1, 2018 at 1:09 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I went to a concert that featured Bryan Adams, Blackfoot and Cheap Trick. I went to see Blackfoot because I was into my southern rock stage at that time. I thought Cheap Trick was a teeny bobber group as I hadn't heard much of them and told my wife if we didn't like them we could always leave early and beat the traffic.

Boy, was I dead wrong, The opened the show with Gonna Raise Hell and just blew me away their whole show. Made a believer out of me. Their Dream Police album was just out and it ended up one of the best concerts I had seen.

The concert was at Market Square Arena. (one of the best live music venues ever)

Holy moly man that is 1 hades of a lineup on 1 ticket CC1. Those Rockford Boys know how to shake the rafters & bring down the house man. haha Cheap Trick "a teeny bobber" group. Now, that's funny. I'm laughing with you CC1 not at you BTW. Kudos to you for giving this unknown band to you at the time a fair shake my friend. 

On May 1, 2018 at 7:20 AM, Myles said:

I played through many Blackfoot Strikes records and tapes.    Great album.  

Highway Song

I got a line on you

Train Train

Left Turn on a red light

Wishing Well

It's a shame that the days of an album are gone.  It's all about singles now.   Huge loss.

On to Reggie.   I like the partnership like most on here.   It seems that some may be overly excited. 

Beautifully stated Myles. I completely agree 1000& My major pet peeve with music companies now is that they don't nurture new talent the right way anymore giving them time to find their voice & signature sound. They demand excellence immediately meaning platinum record sales & top  10 hits through singles. It's a travesty. It really is. 

Absolutely right, Blackfoot Strikes is a legendary album no question. 

On May 1, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Hoose said:

Just to echo what @NewcoltsFan said above in this thread, thanks for dropping this chance encounter with Frank Gore on us Hoose. I always liked Frank & it doesn't surprise that he'd be such a polite & candid guy.

I wish Gore nothing but success down the road & I look forward to the day when he puts on his yellow HOF jacket for the very first time. 

On May 1, 2018 at 9:35 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Great album. I still get it out and play it once in a while. Molly Hatchet is my favorite southern rock band.

On to Reggie, I hope he enjoys being a coach as it might turn out to be permanent . Glad to have him here.

It would fascinating to see you compile a list of the greatest albums ever made in your view. Mandatory reading for sure.

I respect your ear for quality singers, songwriters, & performers CC1. No, SW1 is not requiring you to do it. Only if the mood strikes you that's all. 

Yep, all that knowledge from #87 is definitely an asset that is always welcome here. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Whoa brother, it sounds like you had some rare opportunities there. Rick Nelson is 1 of the nicest legends in rock man. He truly is. Rock in the rain baby. Oh yeah, sounds like a great story to tell your kids, cousins, or nephews some day. Drummers never get enough love man. I always stand up for em amateur or professional cause they're are the backbone of any group & exceptional ones make good groups next level great. Thanks for sharing this WM! I love this kind of behind the scenes stuff. Hate it on movie sets, but love it when it comes to musicians even basic soundcheck stuff. It's electric. I always get goosebumps because of the creativity & mastery of their craft we are about to hear as loyal fans. Sweet! 

Holy moly man that is 1 hades of a lineup on 1 ticket CC1. Those Rockford Boys know how to shake the rafters & bring down the house man. haha Cheap Trick "a teeny bobber" group. Now, that's funny. I'm laughing with you CC1 not at you BTW. Kudos to you for giving this unknown band to you at the time a fair shake my friend. 

Beautifully stated Myles. I completely agree 1000& My major pet peeve with music companies now is that they don't nurture new talent the right way anymore giving them time to find their voice & signature sound. They demand excellence immediately meaning platinum record sales & top  10 hits through singles. It's a travesty. It really is. 

Absolutely right, Blackfoot Strikes is a legendary album no question. 

Btw, my dad was a drummer and gigged.  Both my older brothers too,  but they were in bands together so my middle brother had to pick up guitar too.  My nephew is also a drummer.  Thats 3 generations.  Needless to say, my mother m's nerves are shot.

I cut my teeth in bands pkaying def leppard, the cars, van halen, etc.'. I gigged with adults all thru high school. I even did a lil stint with Drum Corps  if you know what that is.  The Bayonne Bridgemen were my favorite drum line of the time.  

I still have my kit set up waiting for me to get in the mood to make some noise.