Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars sign Blake Bortles to new deal

CF4L

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Jags already are 1st. and 2nd. in the league in most looked at stats for an elite defense. They did send 6 defensive players to the pro bowl. If that is not dominant it's damn close.

It's a very good defense, but it's not to the level of great defenses of the past...yet.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

We let me take a look at the Jags. They went from a 3-13 team to a 10-6 team in one season. A division title. They lead the league in forced fumbles with 17. Their defense lead the league in completion percentage, passing yards per game, passer rating and defensive TDs. 2nd in sacks, interceptions and takeaways. They only allowed a league leading 16.8 points per game. They were the top rushing team in the league in rushing with 141 yds per game. They sent 6 players to the pro bowl.

Borttles threw for 3,687 yds. 21 Tds and 13 picks. An 84.7 rating. He also ran for 322 Tds, and 2 Tds.

Somehow Borttles don't look as bad as most think in this forum.

Playing on the Jags he does not have to be a great QB. The Jags made it to the AFC championship game and got beat by the Patriots like most teams do. 

332 Tds O.o  That's got to be a record......Im sure you meant 332 YDS haha

They will have a bunch of contracts coming due.  Studs on defense.  They couldn't upgrade QB through free agency without making their team QB-centric because QBs cost so much, essentially changing their entire philosophy over the next 4 years.

This modest contract for a QB allows them to make the team like the old Baltimore Ravens that had Dilfer at QB.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

If they only wanted him for one more year -- this year -- then they didn't have to do anything.   He was already under contract for 2018 for 19.2 mill.   Then they'd be free and clear of him.

Why sign him to a new 3-year deal which pays him more than 7 million more this year, only to cut him in 2019?

What's the upside for the team in doing that?

If he plays well, the Jags have the option to trade him or keep him. And for cheaper/with better trade return if this contract wasn't signed.

I didn't say they only wanted him for one more year. That was probably going to happen no matter what because of his injury. I was commenting on the contract language which doesn't indicate that they are tied for the next 3 years. It's for one year and then two option years after that.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You wont have to worry about Jacks winning a SB because it wont happen. Foles is better than Bortles as well.

Well now people say that and I think Foles is a better QB than Bortles as well but many seem to conveniently ignore how he bounced from team to team before returning to Philly and was nearing retirement. 

There were many who doubted he could do anything after Wentz went down. The Eagles season was over. Now he can do no wrong and everyone outside of the Eagles are pretending they always believed in him when they never did.

I rather have a QB that can make plays and be a more balanced team 

I don't know if Bortles is that QB but compared to the team that will overpay Kirk Cousins I don't think this is that bad for the Jags for now.

If he bombs they can cut him.

46 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Well now people say that and I think Foles is a better QB than Bortles as well but many seem to conveniently ignore how he bounced from team to team before returning to Philly and was nearing retirement. 

There were many who doubted he could do anything after Wentz went down. The Eagles season was over. Now he can do no wrong and everyone outside of the Eagles are pretending they always believed in him when they never did.

I rather have a QB that can make plays and be a more balanced team 

I don't know if Bortles is that QB but compared to the team that will overpay Kirk Cousins I don't think this is that bad for the Jags for now.

If he bombs they can cut him.

Regarding Bortles, next season will show us a lot because that team is the hunted now and no longer under the radar much like we were in 2015. After making the Final 4 most teams gun for you and they are the team to beat in our Division as well. We will see how Bortles handles the pressure.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

If they only wanted him for one more year -- this year -- then they didn't have to do anything.   He was already under contract for 2018 for 19.2 mill.   Then they'd be free and clear of him.

Why sign him to a new 3-year deal which pays him more than 7 million more this year, only to cut him in 2019?

What's the upside for the team in doing that?

I just viewed his contract on spotrac. It's pretty much a 2 year commitment. He only counts 10 mill against the cap this year , then 21 and 23 in the final year. If cut after this year , the dead hit would be 16.5 mill , which they would never do. But in the 3rd year , he has a base of 18 mill and only a 5 mill cap hit if they chose to cut him. That would be very doable if they wanted to move on.

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

They will have a bunch of contracts coming due.  Studs on defense.  They couldn't upgrade QB through free agency without making their team QB-centric because QBs cost so much, essentially changing their entire philosophy over the next 4 years.

This modest contract for a QB allows them to make the team like the old Baltimore Ravens that had Dilfer at QB.

I expect them to draft one fairly high this year.

Very team friendly contract. But it definitely cannot be a ringing endorsement from Bortles' point of view. It seems like all parties have decided that his ceiling is limited and he is not going to warrant top QB money in the $20 mil. plus per year range, so it was a win-win for all parties, I guess. 

I still have doubts about their coaching and their ability to adapt to critical situations, mainly offensively, IMO. They have no choice but to trust Bortles now and call plays like they trust him, unlike that second half of the AFCCG.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting....    they were locked into him for 2018.   Bottles hurt his wrist this past season and played with the injury.   It needed surgery.   When they used their fifth year option that makes him guaranteed for injury this year.

They could not cut him.  He was due 19 mill.

With this move, they're staying married for this year and two more beyond that.  I guess they've decided Bortles is the guy for them.

I finally heard that Bortles would have been very close to passing the physical.  But it does nobody any good to pass a guy on the brink, then have him file a grievance, etc ...  They're in for 2 years. If they cut him in year three, they save 18 mill on the cap and absorb 5 mil in dead cap.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:28 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it's an interesting move. I don't think the guy stinks but not sure he wont regress after his Playoff play. He is very inconsistent. I would say he is an Average QB - I think that is fair but not on the Good level. Imagine that team with Eli or Cousins + their Defense? That would be scary.

Bortles average  pay is18 million per, Cousins would break the bank at 30 mil per.  That keeps them from retaining more of their better talents players when contracts come up soon...

On 2/24/2018 at 9:54 PM, oldunclemark said:

He almost went to the Super Bowl with them...not the other way around.

Cap friendly or not.. they have the most expensive defense in the NFL....

I want them to have to worry about signing people

Then you want them to sign Cousins, which they avoided.  Bortles average is around 16th highest paid in NFL.  15 starters get more, and this is the list under him:

15 other NFL starting QB's  ^^^^ above, then

16. Bortles    18    mil / per avg.
17. Dalton     16    mil
18. Tyrod T.   15.25 Mil
19. Glennon    15    Mil

Then rookie contract QB's-

Trubisky       7.25 M       
Goff           7
Wentz          6.7
Winston        6.3
Mariota        6.05

Then -

Foles          5.5
Schaub         4.5

Mahomes        4.1
Watson         3.46 M

Then backup types-

McCoy
Cassel
Lynch
L. Jones
Hoyer
Kizer
Hackenberg

Prescott      383 k

On 2/25/2018 at 9:53 AM, DougDew said:

Except, Raven won a super Bowl, then decided they could do even better replacing Dilfer.  They promptly replaced him with Elvis Grbac.  How did that 'upgrade' work out for them?  Teams need to be careful and sure when doing such  'upgrades' to the QB position.

I'm very meh on this. It would be better if there was significant hope that Bortles becomes something more than what he's been so far, but I don't think there's anymore to Bortles than what we've seen.

So they go from paying him $19m for one season, to paying him (at least, all things considered) $36m for two seasons. Not that exciting, IMO. Why commit more money to him right now when you don't have to?

The only real benefit is that they dropped his cap hit by $9m. And if they move on after two years, it's pretty much a clean break. I just don't see why they were motivated to do it right now, aside from saving $9m against the cap. 

My reaction when I read about this wasn't 'OMG, Bortles sucks and is overpaid!!!' and all that. It was just why? Doesn't make sense to me, not right now.

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Except, Raven won a super Bowl, then decided they could do even better replacing Dilfer.  They promptly replaced him with Elvis Grbac.  How did that 'upgrade' work out for them?  Teams need to be careful and sure when doing such  'upgrades' to the QB position.

I agree. Looks like the Vikings are pursuing Cousins. I like him but not for $25 million plus. I hope they know what they're doing, as we have many core players to re-sign/extend in the next year (Barr, Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter, maybe Waynes)

What do Miller and Kirwan think of Cousins?

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm very meh on this. It would be better if there was significant hope that Bortles becomes something more than what he's been so far, but I don't think there's anymore to Bortles than what we've seen.

So they go from paying him $19m for one season, to paying him (at least, all things considered) $36m for two seasons. Not that exciting, IMO. Why commit more money to him right now when you don't have to?

The only real benefit is that they dropped his cap hit by $9m. And if they move on after two years, it's pretty much a clean break. I just don't see why they were motivated to do it right now, aside from saving $9m against the cap. 

My reaction when I read about this wasn't 'OMG, Bortles sucks and is overpaid!!!' and all that. It was just why? Doesn't make sense to me, not right now.

Maybe a bridge QB, and have targeted a QB to groom from the draft?  Time will tell.

40 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Only Cousins is probably a for sure upgrade.  The Jags went to the AFCCG with Bortles, so maybe there is a chance he plays a bit better.  They'll draft his replacement and let him develop for two years rather than bringing in an expensive vet to try to win now.  

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

With your first paragraph you really nailed it IMO.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe a bridge QB, and have targeted a QB to groom from the draft?  Time will tell.

In this year's draft? Then why commit to an extra year of Bortles? 

I guess they've protected themselves from Bortles blowing up in 2018 and being a tag-worthy player, when that tag might be $25-30m. But that's not likely to happen, IMO. And I could be very wrong.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

In this year's draft? Then why commit to an extra year of Bortles? 

I guess they've protected themselves from Bortles blowing up in 2018 and being a tag-worthy player, when that tag might be $25-30m. But that's not likely to happen, IMO. And I could be very wrong.

Chances are they won’t move up to get their QB (if they get one this draft), and it is rare to get a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott in later rounds. ( but I’m sure they hope) Typically they’ll have to groom one over a year or two... if they work out at all (P. Lynch, D. Kizer, etc...) behind Bortles.

The draft is always interesting and often full of surprises. We will see,