Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars sign Blake Bortles to new deal

CF4L

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/24/jaguars-sign-blake-bortles-through-2020/

Jaguars sign Blake Bortles through 2020

The Jaguars were exploring their quarterback options last week, but that process came to an end on Saturday because they are going to continue rolling with Blake Bortles.

PFT’s Mike Florio wondered if a long-term deal might be Jacksonville’s choice on Saturday afternoon and we got our answer later in the day. Shortly after Josina Anderson of ESPN reported that the Jaguars were working on a contract extension with Bortles, there were multiple reports that the Jaguars are giving Bortles a new three-year deal.

Those reports peg the total value of the deal at $54 million with another $12.5 million available through incentives.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that $26.5 million is guaranteed and the full details of the contract will show any outs the Jaguars have built in along the way to 2020. It seems clear that Bortles, who was set to make $19 million this season, is going to be the No.1 heading into the 2018 season at the very least.

That was far from a sure thing when the Jaguars benched him for a spell in favor of Chad Henne during the preseason, but two playoff wins and an assessment of the other options on the table convinced Jacksonville to stick with the bird in their hand.

The deal also takes one potential player in the free agent market for quarterbacks off the table with the start of the new league year almost around the corner.

Interesting....    they were locked into him for 2018.   Bottles hurt his wrist this past season and played with the injury.   It needed surgery.   When they used their fifth year option that makes him guaranteed for injury this year.

They could not cut him.  He was due 19 mill.

With this move, they're staying married for this year and two more beyond that.  I guess they've decided Bortles is the guy for them.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting....    they were locked into him for 2018.   Bottles hurt his wrist this past season and played with the injury.   It needed surgery.   When they used their fifth year option that makes him guaranteed for injury this year.

With this move, they're staying married for this year and two more beyond that.  I guess they've decided Bortles is the guy for them.

Yeah it's an interesting move. I don't think the guy stinks but not sure he wont regress after his Playoff play. He is very inconsistent. I would say he is an Average QB - I think that is fair but not on the Good level. Imagine that team with Eli or Cousins + their Defense? That would be scary.

Well considering they almost went to the SB with him this season I don't know why people here find it that laughable they're closer to the SB at the moment than we are. We also saw a team win it all with a backup QB this isn't as laughable as it was a year ago.

Do I think that he's the long term answer? No but its a rather cap friendly deal compared to what other QBs are making.

Just now, CF4L said:

Well considering they almost went to the SB with him this season I don't know why people here find it that laughable they're closer to the SB at the moment than we are. We also saw a team win it all with a backup QB this isn't as laughable as it was a year ago.

Do I think that he's the long term answer? No but its a rather cap friendly deal compared to what other QBs are making.

He almost went to the Super Bowl with them...not the other way around.

Cap friendly or not.. they have the most expensive defense in the NFL....

I want them to have to worry about signing people

4 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Don't worry I will be laughing when he is very inconsistent costing them games next season.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He almost went to the Super Bowl with them...not the other way around.

Cap friendly or not.. they have the most expensive defense in the NFL....

I want them to have to worry about signing people

Well he was the QB and made plays to get that far.

Ask the Steelers if they will underestimate Blake Bortles again.

That being said I get why they made this move is it the answer? Who knows but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

As much as we like to rag on Jacksonville they seem to appear to know what they are doing (at least these past couple of years)

2 minutes ago, CF4L said:

That being said I get why they made this move is it the answer? Who knows but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

As much as we like to rag on Jacksonville they seem to appear to know what they are doing (at least these past couple of years)

They should know what they are doing considering they have had Top 5 picks for a decade now lmao. Hell as dumb as I am I could build a dynasty picking 1st every year for a decade.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They should know what they are doing considering they have had Top 5 picks for a decade now lmao. Hell as dumb as I am I could build a dynasty picking 1st every year for a decade.

Yeah because we all know how that worked out for the Browns.

3 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I think they were lucky this year that two premier QBs in their division went down with crippling injuries...

Lets not forget that 'Big Game Blake' threw for 78 yards in the playoff game against Buffalo at home.

As a Colts fan I'm worried about Houston, not Jacksonville

Just now, oldunclemark said:

If Houston and Indy have their QBs for 16 games, Jax isn't even in the playoffs

Well they didn't and the Jags took advantage now will it be the same next season? Who knows. 

But its not as if they have a lot of options so I get why they made this move.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think they were lucky this year that two premier QBs in their division went down with crippling injuries...

Lets not forget that 'Big Game Blake' threw for 78 yards in the playoff game against Buffalo at home.

And was great vs the Steelers but for some reason you conveniently ignored this.

Did I expect them to get as far as they did? No I don't think anyone did but if you're going to talk how bad he sucked in one game give him credit where he was actually good.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Browns Draft Rosen and somehow get Barkley at #4 I bet they go 8-8 next season = 8 game improvement. Garrett has a year under his belt too. I see him as a 10-12 Sack guy this upcoming season.

Hue Jackson is still the coach despite going 0-16 which would get anyone else fired so yeah I expect the same regardless of QB.

Just now, CF4L said:

And was great vs the Steelers but for some reason you conveniently ignored this.

Did I expect them to get as far as they did? No I don't think anyone did but if you're going to talk how bad he sucked in one game give him credit where he was actually good.

.......and when they needed a score vs. NE (a team that Phily ran over for 4 Qs) . they couldn't and didnt

I'll take every other QB in the AFC South over Bortles and you will too. Lets be honest,.

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

.......and when they needed a score vs. NE (a team that Phily ran over for 4 Qs) . they couldn't and didnt

I'll take every other QB in the AFC South over Bortles and you will too. Lets be honest,.

I would too but you need more than QB to win it all. Have you learned nothing as a Colts fan?

NFL is all about matchups the Jags matched up favorably until they ran into the Pats. Pats didn't match up well with the Eagles surprisingly.

The Jags have everything else all Bortles needs to do is make plays maybe after another season he will.

Otherwise if he doesn't they'll move on and go with someone else. 2020 isn't that far away. 

11 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I would too but you need more than QB to win it all. Have you learned nothing as a Colts fan?

NFL is all about matchups the Jags matched up favorably until they ran into the Pats. Pats didn't match up well with the Eagles surprisingly.

The Jags have everything else all Bortles needs to do is make plays maybe after another season he will.

Otherwise if he doesn't they'll move on and go with someone else. 2020 isn't that far away. 

Jacks has a lot to be proud of, they made a final 4 and Bortles played some solid Football in the Playoffs. We will see what 2018 brings. I will be curious to see if Jacks progresses or they Regress.

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Forgive me but I just edited you down to the pertinent point.

We both agree he's the 4th best QB in a four-team division.

....That's what matters.......I'm glad they signed the 4th best guy for 2 or 3 more years.

So if the Jags manage to win an SB with him will that still matter or will him being an SB champion matter?

The Eagles won the SB with their backup QB and not their MVP candidate one

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

So if the Jags manage to win an SB with him will that still matter or will him being an SB champion matter?

The Eagles have nothing to do with Jacksonville that I know of.

Unless you convince me (and yourself) that Bortles isnt the 4th best QB in the AFC South,

.....I am glad they are going to stay with the guy who is 4th best in the division...and use up more salary cap on him for 3 more years...

Make sense?

27 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Some people believe that you must have an elite QB, like Manning, in order to win multiple SBs.

Me? I say you're better off with an adequate QB, like Brady, with a very good, balanced team around him, and you'll be better off.

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Some people believe that you must have an elite QB, like Manning, in order to win multiple SBs.

Me? I say you're better off with an adequate QB, like Brady, with a very good, balanced team around him, and you'll be better off.

I wish I could give this Post a 1000 LIKES because of this - "an adequate QB, like Brady". I love it lmao 

32 minutes ago, CF4L said:

You wont have to worry about Jacks winning a SB because it wont happen. Foles is better than Bortles as well.

We let me take a look at the Jags. They went from a 3-13 team to a 10-6 team in one season. A division title. They lead the league in forced fumbles with 17. Their defense lead the league in completion percentage, passing yards per game, passer rating and defensive TDs. 2nd in sacks, interceptions and takeaways. They only allowed a league leading 16.8 points per game. They were the top rushing team in the league in rushing with 141 yds per game. They sent 6 players to the pro bowl.

Borttles threw for 3,687 yds. 21 Tds and 13 picks. An 84.7 rating. He also ran for 322 Tds, and 2 Tds.

Somehow Borttles don't look as bad as most think in this forum.

Playing on the Jags he does not have to be a great QB. The Jags made it to the AFC championship game and got beat by the Patriots like most teams do. 

32 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

They could possibly go the route of great defensive teams who win a SB with average QB. Ravens and Bucs. Defense would have to become dominant monster which could happen.  

The Jags already are 1st. and 2nd. in the league in most looked at stats for an elite defense. They did send 6 defensive players to the pro bowl. If that is not dominant it's damn close.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nah, they're staying married for this year which was probably going to happen anyway. It's basically one year, 26.5M deal (the money that is guaranteed) and the next two years are ''well, we'll see how well you've played''. He's easy cut/trade after year 1.

But still an interesting move as just month ago they didn't trust this guy to make plays with the Super Bowl appareance on the line.

8 minutes ago, Finball said:

Nah, they're staying married for this year which was probably going to happen anyway. It's basically one year, 26.5M deal (the money that is guaranteed) and the next two years are ''well, we'll see how well you've played''. He's easy cut/trade after year 1.

But still an interesting move as just month ago they didn't trust this guy to make plays with the Super Bowl appareance on the line.

Huh?

If they only wanted him for one more year -- this year -- then they didn't have to do anything.   He was already under contract for 2018 for 19.2 mill.   Then they'd be free and clear of him.

Why sign him to a new 3-year deal which pays him more than 7 million more this year, only to cut him in 2019?

What's the upside for the team in doing that?

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm worried about all the teams in the afc south.  But it's nice tha Jaguars are sticking with Bortles. It's odd considering they showed little confidence in him when it counted vs the patriots.