Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard: No [indoor] team with a 3-4 defense has ever won a Super Bowl

Superman

22 hours ago, J@son said:

I think you have that backwards.  Our strength in the 3-4 was the DL (Anderson, Woods, Hankins with Ridgeway, Stewart off the bench).  Switching to a 4-3 takes one of those guys OFF the field.  The 3-4 OLBs (most of them) become DEs and OLB was definitely not our strength last year.  So in switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 you're taking one DL off the field and replacing him with an OLB. 

Sheard would be good in a 4-3 imo. Also B Chubb would be one of the ends. Then Hankins and Woods on the inside. You do have a point though. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, aaron11 said:

mingo is a free agent.  he seems like a rush LB in a 3-4 to me, but he only has 9 career sacks

no one has really tried him as an off the ball line backer. he was a 4-3 DE for a while too, but never did much .  he could be a back up for us there still i guess

Mingo may actually be a decent fit at one of the LB spots due to his coverage ability and overall ability to chase.   Maybe at the Will.    Interesting to see what they do with him.  Might turn out to be a better Linebacker than a pass rusher.  He's got great height to go along with that speed.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

What about Basham? DE or OLB in the new scheme? Doesn’t seem like a cover guy, so backup DE? I assume Ballard has a plan for the kid.

Backup DE possible starter depending on how much growth he shows in year 2.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Mingo may actually be a decent fit at one of the LB spots due to his coverage ability and overall ability to chase.   Maybe at the Will.    Interesting to see what they do with him.  Might turn out to be a better Linebacker than a pass rusher.  He's got great height to go along with that speed.

I think you are on to something there..I hope we keep Mingo, I saw a ton of potential in him..

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I agree...said the same thing either earlier in this thread or in a different one, but with his athleticism he may be able to play the WILL.  I remember when Dungy was here they spoke about how the WILL is basically a free runner who's job is to get to the ball.  Obviously he'd have zone responsibilities as well but once the ball comes out or a RB takes off with it,they wanted a fast guy to be able to chase down the ball carrier.  They didn't have any LBs fast enough for the role so they drafted Cato June, who'd played CB and S in college and converted him to the WILL.  

Mingo has great athleticism so if he can handle the zone responsibilities reasonably well I think he could be very good at the WILL position.  Of course that could also just be wishful thinking.

Agree on Mingo moving to OSLB. He is perhaps the best athlete in the front seven. When given the chance he caused turnovers. I don’t think he is stout enough for DE and trying to fit him there may be trying to put a square peg in a round hole. 

Speaking of indoor stadiums, does anybody worry about his logic about fast defense on our field. This may be the MAIN reason we only have 1 championship in the Manning era. I know as soon as he mentioned that in his PC that's what popped in my head. It does worry me, but I am sure CB knows that it will take a stout front seven to be a championship caliber defense.

On February 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM, mikey287 said:

Haven't read the thread, but if the OP is an accurate quote, that's an extraordinarily dumb thing to say...

It's kind of reminiscent to this: 

There may be correlation, but it is without causation. I hope deep down that he knows that and is just playing dumb.

Comedians Harry Shearer, Hank Azaria, & Conan O'Brien would find it amusing that their cartoon work is being used to reinforce a point about the right defense for INDY. 

I'm not complaining. It's an unorthodox way to convey your point of view M287.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

i thought he was one of the more physically gifted players we had on defense last year

i wont be shocked if he can play weak side LB, the only reason i would pause is he will be 28 pretty soon and hasnt played off the ball much in the nfl

There's no question we will need to get a dominate 3 technique (something Bill Polian did not do all that well at, and admits it in hindsight), a good WILL (Cato June, David Thornton), and a Bob Sanders / John Lynch style SS.

Does anyone know if Margus Hunt can be 'that 3 tech guy'? Or do wee need to find one in the draft? I'm not expecting Aaron Donald (oh how nice that would be!) level, but some upper tier play potential?

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There's no question we will need to get a dominate 3 technique (something Bill Polian did not do all that well at, and admits it in hindsight), a good WILL (Cato June, David Thornton), and a Bob Sanders / John Lynch style SS.

Does anyone know if Margus Hunt can be 'that 3 tech guy'? Or do wee need to find one in the draft? I'm not expecting Aaron Donald (oh how nice that would be!) level, but some upper tier play potential?

Yeah...Taven Bryan..

Did you know that Nick Foles was the first QB ever to throw 3 complete passes in a game where the temperature waned between 56.1 and 56.3 degrees and clouds covered 89% of the sun and all the receivers jersey number so added to 263 while having a name with letters N, F, L, and S?

Crazy run Nick foles was on there for a while