Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Swoope to stay on IR

twfish

2 hours ago, twfish said:

http://m.colts.com/s/30853/Home?

Never did see any post about this if there is then my bad. I was really curious on how his development was going to continue this year. I thought he might have been able to establish himself as a solid compliment to Doyle. Still have high hopes for him but will he still be on the roster next year?

hard to say.  lots of variables between now and then

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Not to be a debbie downer, but does anyone think Swoope will make it to be anything? 3 years of transitioning and battling injuries. Not likely at all to pass Jack Doyel on the depth chart and hardly a #2 TE on our team.

I believe this is his first year of really any injury correct? Last year was the first year he got any playing time (outside of the very last game of 2014 season?) And was behind Allen and Doyle but when given opportunities he did make plays. This year was supposed to be his year to really start getting it but par for the Colts this year he goes on IR from a knee scope. I personally like the guy and I think he's got the speed and athletism to do well and if given the chance next season I think he could be worth the time invested. However I predict alot of roster turnover this year and not sure he will make the cut.

I don’t think he’ll be around much longer. While he showed promise last season, we’re in the Ballard era now. Flashing and showing promise isn’t enough anymore. Ballard won’t overcommit to low risk project players like Grigson then. Chances are with the injuries and being under developed, that Ballard waves him and moves on. He’s not irreplaceable.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think he’ll be around much longer. While he showed promise last season, we’re in the Ballard era now. Flashing and showing promise isn’t enough anymore. Ballard won’t overcommit to low risk project players like Grigson then. Chances are with the injuries and being under developed, that Ballard waves him and moves on. He’s not irreplaceable.

39 minutes ago, twfish said:

I believe this is his first year of really any injury correct? Last year was the first year he got any playing time (outside of the very last game of 2014 season?) And was behind Allen and Doyle but when given opportunities he did make plays. This year was supposed to be his year to really start getting it but par for the Colts this year he goes on IR from a knee scope. I personally like the guy and I think he's got the speed and athletism to do well and if given the chance next season I think he could be worth the time invested. However I predict alot of roster turnover this year and not sure he will make the cut.

Yeah... Kind of what I've been thinking for the past couple seasons. Been waiting for that break out game from him. He did have a TD catch last year I believe. I like him. He's got what it takes. But I just think the speed of the NFL is playing against him right now. I also think Ballard is closely watching him as well. We will see what happens with him.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Not to be a debbie downer, but does anyone think Swoope will make it to be anything? 3 years of transitioning and battling injuries. Not likely at all to pass Jack Doyel on the depth chart and hardly a #2 TE on our team.

He was good in limited action in 2016 but it sucks he couldn't play this season I think he will get one more chance to prove himself when healthy he is a mismatch.

I don't think this automatically shoves Swoope to the scrap heap. He really does have the size and speed to be a difference maker. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Ballard keep him on the roster into training camp to see what he can do. But I agree that the competition next season is likely to be far stronger than this year. Swoope will have to stand out to survive. I think he can. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

I don't think this automatically shoves Swoope to the scrap heap. He really does have the size and speed to be a difference maker. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Ballard keep him on the roster into training camp to see what he can do. But I agree that the competition next season is likely to be far stronger than this year. Swoope will have to stand out to survive. I think he can. Time will tell. 

The measureables don’t mean once. It’s the play making ability and ability to consistently play top tier ball. TJ Green has the size and speed to be a lot of things, but all he is is underwhelming. He will have to show that he has something unique that is not easily replaced.

20 hours ago, Hoose said:

Agree. He has one more year of control...so they will give him a shot. The TE depth chart on this team is very weak right now. Swoope has shown that he has potential and could be a big weapon.