Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman Torn Achillies....out season.

dgambill

I would have to say so, against the elite teams in the NFC. Losing Sherman is a big loss.

Right now, the Eagles, Rams and Saints are the front runners in the NFC with the Vikings a fourth, IMO. The Cowboys and Panthers probably get the wild cards with the Redskins, Lions, Falcons and Seahawks all missing the playoffs, IMO.

I fully anticipate an Eagles vs Saints NFCCG. Saints at Rams in Week 12 is going to be huge for NFC seeding. Wade Philips' record of his new team making the playoffs in his first year of joining them is going to continue (Cowboys, Texans, Broncos, and now Rams).

6 hours ago, GoPats said:

Sherman and Earl Thomas are the two guys on that D they can't do without. I don't think Seattle is going anywhere this year. 

I know some that think Kam Chancellor is the straw that stirs the Seahawks drink.  They have a few guys in the secondary, others mention Earl Thomas.  So, it's not just Richard Sherman... but he is a huge cog in that wheel.

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Another reason for folks to ask the league for no more Thursday night games.  RS already had a tender Achilles, and never recovered enough before game time last night.

Agree, I am down with ending TNF. It doesn't give the players enough time to recover from the previous weekends games.

31 minutes ago, Jules said:

Agree, I am down with ending TNF. It doesn't give the players enough time to recover from the previous weekends games.

It wouldn't bother me one bit for the NFL to do away with TNF. Like you said it don't give the players enough to heal and prepare for Thursday night games. Some of these players are barely walking by Tuesday after playing on Sunday.

6 hours ago, GoPats said:

Sherman and Earl Thomas are the two guys on that D they can't do without. I don't think Seattle is going anywhere this year. 

I agree. I didn't think they would make the SB anyway even with them 2. If Elliott plays towards the end of the season for Dallas and in the Playoffs, they wont beat the Cowboys and Philly is just a better team.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

You may have hit on why folks keep crying about lack of interest..

In Indy, GB, Miami, Houston..the QBs are on ice..

Hard to get excited

Exactly. Thats why I think people lose interest more then "other" factors we can't discuss here.

Look at all these big names here gone already. I mean did anyone care much about MNF this week with the Rodgers less Packers looking pathetic? I didn't.

Even losing Sherman and Watt on defense is a big blow for fans.

If all we have to look forward to is the stupid Patriots people will lose interest nation wide. We need the Eagles to keep dominating and a few other teams to keep it interesting for Super Bowl contenders.  It's as if we almost are begging the Chiefs to win the AFC or will get desperate enough to hope for the Steelers.

I know people cry about the NBA stuff too but the Cavs have sucked so far this year, the Celtics are shocking everyone and are not unlikable IMO and the Warriors are dominant indeed but their dominance has not been "that" long really in the number of years. And Curry and Durant are both hugely popular players. And we got the Lakers/Lonzo stuff to follow and even the Pacers are doing OK without Paul George.

I am more into the NBA easily this year since there are more interesting story lines IMO.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Exactly. Thats why I think people lose interest more then "other" factors we can't discuss here.

Look at all these big names here gone already. I mean did anyone care much about MNF this week with the Rodgers less Packers looking pathetic? I didn't.

Even losing Sherman and Watt on defense is a big blow for fans.

If all we have to look forward to is the stupid Patriots people will lose interest nation wide. We need the Eagles to keep dominating and a few other teams to keep it interesting for Super Bowl contenders.  It's as if we almost are begging the Chiefs to win the AFC or will get desperate enough to hope for the Steelers.

I know people cry about the NBA stuff too but the Cavs have sucked so far this year, the Celtics are shocking everyone and are not unlikable IMO and the Warriors are dominant indeed but their dominance has not been "that" long really in the number of years. And Curry and Durant are both hugely popular players. And we got the Lakers/Lonzo stuff to follow and even the Pacers are doing OK without Paul George.

I am more into the NBA easily this year since there are more interesting story lines IMO.

People are not as interested in new England and Dallas as the NFL media seems to think.

When the talkers whine on about teams few outside their market care about.....they sabotage their own coverage

Why does Dallas get so much more coverage than Philadelphia?

Dallas hasn't won a one-legged race in 20 years

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

People are not as interested in new England and Dallas as the NFL media seems to think.

When the talkers whine on about teams few outside their market care about.....they sabotage their own coverage

The media should go full on steam ahead marketing Carson Wentz as the new Peyton Manning IMO just to draw fans in.

I think the Cowboys must pull in ratings so they think most want them. It's a big market though, it's Texas, DUH. So they do often pull in the highest weekly ratings. But the rest of us in the country often can't stand the Cow-chickens and Jerry Jones.

The Pats are like the Yankees so not always much you can do about it.

In the NBA though I admit I am guilty with loving the historical winning teams like the Celtics/Lakers at times but then again I never hated either team and have loved a lot of both teams stars.

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I guess that is better than being in a one legged kicking contest!

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe the players who play in those games would like to spend time with their families instead of entertaining us? 

Then they should do that and we can find other players.

The point I'm making is the NFL has played football in Dallas on short rest on Thanksgiving Day for 60 years and they've done it in Detroit for 70 years.   Players don't get hurt because they play on Thursday.

Its hard but you do it once.

Players whine about everything..  

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

When you add all the other injuries it also makes for worse team play. Therefore games that are boring and not as entertaining.

That's where we part company..

I still like games between winning teams....losing teams have always been boring.

The problems is: We (Indy) are one of the losing teams now

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

The point I'm making is the NFL has played football in Dallas on short rest on Thanksgiving Day for 60 years and they've done it in Detroit for 70 years.   Players don't get hurt because they play on Thursday.

You don't seem to care about the players. Just our entertainment. Just saying.

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

The media should go full on steam ahead marketing Carson Wentz as the new Peyton Manning IMO just to draw fans in.

I think the Cowboys must pull in ratings so they think most want them. It's a big market though, it's Texas, DUH. So they do often pull in the highest weekly ratings. But the rest of us in the country often can't stand the Cow-chickens and Jerry Jones.

The Pats are like the Yankees so not always much you can do about it.

In the NBA though I admit I am guilty with loving the historical winning teams like the Celtics/Lakers at times but then again I never hated either team and have loved a lot of both teams stars.

That is the one major thing Baseball has going for it - parity. There are at least 7 or 8 teams that can win it all = Astros, Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, RedSox, Indians, Nationals, etc.. It's a crapshoot and I love it come Playoff time because all of those teams if hot can take it! Not only that teams win Game 7 on the road a lot too.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The majority of the games played on Thanksgiving are boring. That or blowouts.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

..and we dnt want to say it because we seem biased.

But the NFL misses Peyton. He was on TV in prime time 4 times a year and even folks who didn't like him followed him.

No one replaced him (especially in Denver) Dak isn't that guy....Mariotta and Winston aren't 'that guy'

Wentz has a great backstory..he's a hometown hero...a farm boy legend

You are right about him.

Just now, oldunclemark said:

..and we dnt want to say it because we seem biased.

But the NFL misses Peyton. He was on TV in prime time 4 times a year and even folks who didn't like him followed him.

No one replaced him (especially in Denver) Dak isn't that guy....Mariotta and Winston aren't 'that guy'

Wentz has a great backstory..he's a hometown hero...a farm boy legend

You are right about him.

I agree about Manning and the league missing him.

Wentz even runs some Bible study group in Philly. He could be "that guy" for the wholesome NFL image if they build it up.

He's pretty popular though already, I think he is right? I mean the Eagles fanbase can be weird so I don't always know.

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's where we part company..

I still like games between winning teams....losing teams have always been boring.

The problems is: We (Indy) are one of the losing teams now

So you don't think injuries is one of the main problems of losing teams?

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't seem to care about the players. Just our entertainment. Just saying.

CC;

I don't believe that players get hurt more on 3 days rest than they do on 5  (Monday to Sunday)

No one complains about the Monday-Sunday turnaround..

..and they've been playing Thursday MORNING football since the Korean War...on Thanksgiving Day..

You're paid (very well) to play.....the money is good..just play

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

I agree about Manning and the league missing him.

Wentz even runs some Bible study group in Philly. He could be "that guy" for the wholesome NFL image if they build it up.

He's pretty popular though already, I think he is right? I mean the Eagles fanbase can be weird so I don't always know.

But when you turn on the NFL Network or ESPN or FOX...they're talking about Dallas.....

I dont dislike the 'Boys'......I just don't care about them very much

How Dak will do without Zeke is not of much interest to me.

..and I don't know why Jerry Jones is quoted nationally so much.. He's old. He's rich. He's crusty. Okay . Lets move on

Edited by oldunclemark

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

So no more Thanksgiving day, afternoon and night games?  Really?

Yes, the NFL can keep those.... if... these teams have their bye week prior to them...  

Or...

The league adds two bye weeks to the schedule for every team, and then can keep all Thursday games, using a bye week for the teams scheduled before them.  One or the other has to be done.

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I just heard Charlie Weiss address that.  He says while some injuries are not related to playing Thursday, others are.

IOW, some injuries are because the player hasn't recovered enough from the previous game. 

It is hard to study currently, because of the NFL injury reporting system itself.  If a player is injured, and hypothetically it essentially is resolved with training room rehab in 4 days, then that injury would be reported to the league for said player after a Sunday game.  OTOH, it would not be reported for that player after a Thursday game.  That is because the injury reports need to be in to the NFL as close as possible to the end of that teams (or their opponents) practice the following Wednesday after their games were played (assuming next game is Sunday).   That's only 3 days after a Sunday game, but almost a full 6 days following a Thursday game.  Making these changes takes speculation and the players 'chirping' out of the equation.

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

You may have hit on why folks keep crying about lack of interest..

In Indy, GB, Miami, Houston..the QBs are on ice..

Hard to get excited

The NFL needs to grow its market every year.  * off one quarterback or one half of your fans, you can't grow.  Injuries are not the reason, player protests are.