Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/15/17

TKnight24

29 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Easier to follow one guy than cover a half of the field or whole field 

This is what I was thinking, he may actually adapt to playing CB better than safety. He's fast enough to run side-by-side with just about any WR in the league, while playing safety requires him to see half the field and anticipate routes/read QB's eyes.

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Luck's rookie year was so much fun. You would here these stories --legends, and you knew something great was about to happen. He was big, strong, and had the potential to be amongst the greats.

He still is all those things, but the storyline has changed. According to the general media, he's over rated, injury prone, and a turnover machine. The player has remained the same, but public perceptions have changed.

You know the old expression.....   "QB's get too much credit when the team wins,  and too much blame when the team loses."       Well,  that's what we have with Luck.

And let's be clear here,   Luck IS a turnover machine.      He throws way too many picks and he's completed 5 seasons and until recently,  he fumbled the ball at unacceptable levels.       Comebine the picks with the fumbles and Luck has a very high turnover rate.

Now,  there may be some reasons for all this,   but the fact remains is Luck is NOT where he needs to be going into the 6th year of his career.      And some of that has to be on him...

I may be as big a fan of Andrew Luck as there is,   but I'm not unwilling to say his play needs to get much better before people will give him more credit.    But the good news is I think he's capable of much more.     I still don't think we've seen the best of Andrew Luck.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And let's be clear here,   Luck IS a turnover machine.      He throws way too many picks and he's completed 5 seasons and until recently,  he fumbled the ball at unacceptable levels.       Comebine the picks with the fumbles and Luck has a very high turnover rate.

Well from a sheer number of INT"s perspective he's right in line with the league averages. It's the timeliness and type of bonehead INT's he throws that are the issue. Peyton Manning was a turnover machine his first 5 years. He averaged 20 per season during that frame. Luck has averaged 13. Fumbles is more a function of the O-line giving up sacks unless he's fumbling while scrambling. He needs to be much better to take the next step but guys like Brees, Eli, Rivers, and Winston are statistically close to Luck in TO's and they don't get the flak he does.

This Green as a corner is interesting to me.  if they want to play mostly bump and run, his size and athleticism might be ideal for that.  It is a more instinctual position if that is the coverage they use mostly.  I also believe that Ballard likes big corners as well.

38 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This Green as a corner is interesting to me.  if they want to play mostly bump and run, his size and athleticism might be ideal for that.  It is a more instinctual position if that is the coverage they use mostly.  I also believe that Ballard likes big corners as well.

He did have Sean Smith for a year in KC.. Him and Green are identical physically. When everyone was bashing him early in the off-season, I specifically stated that I thought Green should get a look at CB and here we are.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know the old expression.....   "QB's get too much credit when the team wins,  and too much blame when the team loses."       Well,  that's what we have with Luck.

Now,  there may be some reasons for all this,   but the fact remains is Luck is NOT where he needs to be going into the 6th year of his career.      And some of that has to be on him...

I may be as big a fan of Andrew Luck as there is,   but I'm not unwilling to say his play needs to get much better before people will give him more credit.    But the good news is I think he's capable of much more.     I still don't think we've seen the best of Andrew Luck.

No he's not lol. He has averaged the 2nd most attempts per game since he came into the league, and has only thrown more than 16 INTS once(which was his rookie year) 

He has a better career TD:INT ratio than Big Ben. (even including his very bad 2015 season) Yet Ben isn't called a turnover machine like Luck is. 

He has to win games & take chances. He is the Colts only hope for getting a W. Let's not forget he has a terrible o-line and run game his entire career. Until last year he's thrown the deep ball as much as anyone. And he was the 7th best QB at taking care of the ball last year.(despite being the MOST pressured)

Andrew has improved every year. He is a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. He's elite. He makes a bad throw from time to time yes, but he's not a turnover machine. 

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's funny how green has gone from forum whipping boy to Savior after one preseason game haha

I think most of us would like to see him do well for the sake of the team, but he was a head scratcher pick at the time for sure.  Add that to his performance last year and it was easy for us to pick on him.

He has had a year to mature and is getting opportunities to prove why he was picked.  Not sure about the savior part, but if he turns out to be a good safety or corner (i guess) then that is one more position we don't have to draft next year or the year after.  

So after seeing him play Sunday with some improvement gives us hope that there is some future with him on our team and that it wasn't a wasted pick in the long run.

I don't think anyone wanted to see him fail, but I also understand what you are saying.

18 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No he's not lol. He has averaged the 2nd most attempts per game since he came into the league, and has only thrown more than 16 INTS once(which was his rookie year) 

He has a better career TD:INT ratio than Big Ben. (Yes even including his very bad 2015 season) 

He has to win games & take chances. He is the Colts only hope for getting a W. Let's not forget he has a terrible o-line and run game his entire career. Until last year he's thrown the deep ball as much as anyone. And he was the 7th best QB at taking care of the ball last year.(despite being the MOST pressured)

Andrew has improved every year. He is a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. He's elite. He makes a bad throw from time to time yes, but he's not a turnover machine. 

Lol?      Not hardly.

Luck has not improved every year.      That's demonstrably false.     The numbers say that.    Feel free to look at his stats.

He improved last year.     But that's not the same as improving every year.    

Lol!

Why compare Luck to Roethlisberger,  ANOTHER turnover machine.     Thanks,  you just proved MY POINT,  not yours.      Lol!

The team is not happy with Luck's turnovers.      In an interview this off-season,  Schottenheimer said the coaches believe Luck should NEVER throw 10 or more interceptions in any given season.

He's done that 4 out of his 5 years,  INCLUDING 2015, when he only played 7 games.     Now THAT'S lol FUNNY!      Except that it's not.

Take comfort in the fact that pretty much everyone who knows football thinks Luck is capable of being better.   And hopefully he will be.      I'm just not sure how much we'll see of an improved Andrew Luck considering he hasn't played since last January.....

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lol?      Not hardly.

Luck has not improved every year.      That's demonstrably false.     The numbers say that.    Feel free to look at his stats.

He improved last year.     But that's not the same as improving every year.    

Lol!

Why compare Luck to Roethlisberger,  ANOTHER turnover machine.     Thanks,  you just proved MY POINT,  not yours.      Lol!

The team is not happy with Luck's turnovers.      In an interview this off-season,  Schottenheimer said the coaches believe Luck should NEVER throw 10 or more interceptions in any given season.

He's done that 4 out of his 5 years,  INCLUDING 2015, when he only played 7 games.     Now THAT'S lol FUNNY!      Except that it's not.

Take comfort in the fact that pretty much everyone who knows football thinks Luck is capable of being better.   And hopefully he will be.      I'm just not sure how much we'll see of an improved Andrew Luck considering he hasn't played since last January.....

His adjusted completion % has improved every year. Literally every year except his injured 2015. 

And I said he has a lower TD:INT to Ben, who isn't called a turnover machine like Luck is. 

And you ignored the fact he throws throws more than any QB except one, while in a vertical passing offense, with no run game. And has to score over 20 points every week to win. Yet you expect him to only have 9 picks? While he's being hit more than most QBs? Unrealistic. Luck is elite. 

Yeah he can improve, that doesn't mean he's a turnover machine lol.  Especially with how great he played last season. He only threw 13 picks and a good couple of them were just unlucky INTs. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

It's funny how green has gone from forum whipping boy to Savior after one preseason game haha

Landon Collins went from bad to Pro Bowler after one year.  I'm sure TJ can also do...

...(Alarm Clock going off)...

Okay, I'm awake but I was having a great dream...

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He has a better career TD:INT ratio than Big Ben. (even including his very bad 2015 season) Yet Ben isn't called a turnover machine like Luck is. 

Yeah I think turnover machine is a little over the top. He does have some games where he has a few too many turnovers, but not sure I'd call him a turnover machine. Jay Cutler is a turnover machine.

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah I think turnover machine is a little over the top. He does have some games where he has a few too many turnovers, but not sure I'd call him a turnover machine. Jay Cutler is a turnover machine.

It's just overblown because when he does have a bad game with some turnovers, the Colts almost always lose.  He has to be perfect too much/too often. 

Russel Wilson won a playoff game throwing 1 TD and 4 INTS. Nobody ever talks about that though because the Seahawks won. 

Get the "Turnover Machine" a line and a running game he can depend on(hopefully this year) and the turnover machine I'm quite sure is going

to show much better numbers.  Obviously if you're asking this guy to put the whole team on his back every game the outcome isn't going to be what

you'd like. Make sure the guy doesn't feel like he has to force the issue and the knuckle headed stuff should decrease.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

It seems whatever we do now has a different feel to it.

amazing what bringing in a confident, direct, and no-nonsense GM can do for an organization.

the general feeling/confidence in this organization (long term) has done a complte 180 in the last year.

jim apparently hit a home run with Ballard.