Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Snap Count for Tolzien Tell Us Something?

WERC82

Typically a regular season starting QB will get one sustained possession in the first preseason game. Could the number of snaps Tolzien takes Sunday tell us how confident the Colts are in Luck being ready for the first regular season game?

13 hours ago, WERC82 said:

Typically a regular season starting QB will get one sustained possession in the first preseason game. Could the number of snaps Tolzien takes Sunday tell us how confident the Colts are in Luck being ready for the first regular season game?

Not at all.  The first preseason game does not have any ties to Luck's time table.  Maybe the 4th preseason game but not this soon.  Luck is going through his throwing routine and with setbacks he might be ready and practicing the last week before the season or not until week 1, 2, etc...

A few situations here (all hypothetical speculations on my part, so don't get riled up :) ):

1. They know Tolzien is their best back up and they know Luck may not play game 1 and/or 2 for certain -> Chances are they yank Tolzien after a couple of series knowing he gives them the best chance to win without Luck and they need him protected.
  2. They know Tolzien is their best back up and they know Luck will be playing game 1 for certain -> Chances are they let Tolzien play close to a quarter and let the other backups get more playing time.
  3. They do not know Tolzien is their best back up and regardless of whether they know Luck may not play game 1 or not -> There is a good chance Tolzien gets to play more than a quarter so that they can divvy up the QB time to decide who is the best back up.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, WERC82 said:

yes.,.because he cant get hurt...

......the response to Andrew not being available is NOT to play Tolzien for 3 quarters in a pre-season game.

WE cannot risk him getting hurt.

Play backups 75% of the game

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

A few situations here (all hypothetical speculations on my part, so don't get riled up :) ):

1. They know Tolzien is their best back up and they know Luck may not play game 1 and/or 2 for certain -> Chances are they yank Tolzien after a couple of series knowing he gives them the best chance to win without Luck and they need him protected.
  2. They know Tolzien is their best back up and they know Luck will be playing game 1 for certain -> Chances are they let Tolzien play close to a quarter and let the other backups get more playing time.
  3. They do not know Tolzien is their best back up and regardless of whether they know Luck may not play game 1 or not -> There is a good chance Tolzien gets to play more than a quarter so that they can divvy up the QB time to decide who is the best back up.

I don't think it says much about Luck's status for the first game of the year but Pagano has already hinted that Tolzien will play more than normal for a starting QB in the first pre-season game.  Take from that what you will.  I think while Walker is on the roster Tolzien and Morris will get the bulk of the snaps in pre-season just so the Colts can honestly see what they have or don't have.

I've heard that Tolzein has looked horrible. So all the talk that he's got the number 2 spot locked down just screams that our backup QB situation is trash. We're not going anywhere if Luck goes down.  So bring in somebody at least with potential to get better. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

I've heard that Tolzein has looked horrible. So all the talk that he's got the number 2 spot locked down just screams that our backup QB situation is trash. We're not going anywhere if Luck goes down.  So bring in somebody at least with potential to get better. 

Just because Tolzein is said to look bad does not automatically mean it is 100% true. He has yet to play his first pre season game so we all will see what it is when the time comes. Saying a QB is bad by one or two scrimmages is too pre mature.

I have no clue as to where he is at but neither does anyone else at this point.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just because Tolzein is said to look bad does not automatically mean it is 100% true. He has yet to play his first pre season game so we all will see what it is when the time comes. Saying a QB is bad by one or two scrimmages is too pre mature.

I have no clue as to where he is at but neither does anyone else at this point.

Tolzien himself has said he's not had a good summer to date. I think we can take his word for it. Like you said we will get to see for ourselves very soon. 

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be brutally honest I liked Morris better last Pre-season.

You weren't the only one and had Ballard been here Morris may have won the job. That's back when playing better than the guy I'm front of you didn't always mean much. 

Either way..expect to see the last string QB a lot.

On Thursday Denver held OLB Von Miller our of the game against the Bears,.

Asked why...Vance Joseph said..that it had little to do with Miller.

But they'd already lost OLB Shaq Barrett and OLB Shane Ray for 6 weeks and he simply couldn't risk losing Miller. They were short at the position.

We've probably got to 'bubble wrap' Tolzien until we know if Luck can play week one. I'm not sure I'd play him at all this Sunday..  2 or 3 series a month before the season starts wont affect Tolzien one way or another.

He's a veteran...he doesn't need to play

...I don't think Morris can go in and win us a ball game in September.

I think Tolzien can

Edited by oldunclemark

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Either way..expect to see the last string QB a lot.

On Thursday Denver held OLB Von Miller our of the game against the Bears,.

Asked why...Vance Joseph said..that it had little to do with Miller.

But they'd already lost OLB Shaq Barrett and OLB Shane Ray for 6 weeks and he simply couldn't risk losing Miller. They were short at the position.

We've probably got to 'bubble wrap' Tolzien until we know if Luck can play week one. I'm not sure I'd play him at all this Sunday..  2 or 3 series a month before the season starts wont affect Tolzien one way or another.

He's a veteran...he doesn't need to play

...I don't think Morris can go in and win us a ball game in September.

I think Tolzien can

Unfortunately Scott's resume says that he's started 3 games in his career & has never won any. He has twice as many interceptions as touchdowns...  So you saying you think Tolzien can win a game for us in September is wishful thinking. No different than someone saying Morris or Walker can win a game for us in September.  None of them have ever actually won an NFL game.

I also heard Morris has looked terrible too.  Maybe they'll all improve once we get into some live action (even if it's only preseason)???  Let's all hope Luck comes back sooner rather than later.